The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

Whatever happened to cars that drive themselves? Weren't we supposed to have those by now? If you really want to have safer roads and less pollution, don't let people drive themselves. Seriously, f*ck driving. <_<

Whatever happened to cars that drive themselves? Weren't we supposed to have those by now? If you really want to have safer roads and less pollution, don't let people drive themselves. Seriously, f*ck driving. <_<

I like driving, though. Especially back roads. And I'm not sure how comfortable I am trusting my life to a computer. The one thing all computers seem to have in common regardless of what they're for or what operating system they're running is that they all seem to crash at the worst times...

I like driving, though. Especially back roads. And I'm not sure how comfortable I am trusting my life to a computer. The one thing all computers seem to have in common regardless of what they're for or what operating system they're running is that they all seem to crash at the worst times...

If the computer is programmed correctly, it should be more reliable and safer than a human being.

But what if the car gets struck by lightning? :ph34r:

It would still be a better, safer driver than 95% of the people on the road right now. I like cars, but I hate driving, roads, other divers, pedestrians, traffic tickets, parking, mechanics...

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Jaguar E Type, an anonymous Swiss businessman has commissioned Vizualtech and freelance designer Robert Palm to create a one-off inspired by the iconic sports car. The Growler E 2011 Concept is built on a Jaguar XKR platform with a supercharged 5.0 liter V8 that generates 600 bhp. Estimated 0-60 acceleration is less than 4 seconds.

It may be a one-off, but if there is enough demand, Vizualtech will build a limited number of the Growler.

Growler-E-2011-by-Vizualtech-Duo-2-1280x960.jpg

Growler-E-2011-by-Vizualtech-Duo-4-1280x960.jpg

Growler E 2011 by Vizualtech

It would still be a better, safer driver than 95% of the people on the road right now. I like cars, but I hate driving, roads, other divers, pedestrians, traffic tickets, parking, mechanics...

I know it's been raining a lot lately, but I haven't had to deal with the errant diver at all while driving. ;)

Public transportation is there for a reason

People that don't like driving 'in general' lack confidence and assertion while on the road, being a bigger problem for other traffic that the traffic appears to them

I prefer freedom over safety by a long shot

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!"

Edited by Nightdare

Public transportation is there for a reason

People that don't like driving 'in general' lack confidence and assertion while on the road, being a bigger problem for other traffic that the traffic appears to them

I prefer freedom over safety by a long shot

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!"

The people who think this way are typically the type of guys who drive obnoxiously load sports cars and then downshift just to make even more obnoxious noise. The type of guys who roar up to within an inch or your ass when you're already going 5 miles over the speed limit then gun it around you just so they can slam on the breaks for the red light less tan 100 feet away. The type of guys who shoot across 4 lanes of traffic and cut off a big rig at night in order to make an exit. The type of guys who think it's a good idea to pass logging trucks in Oregon.

I'm a competent driver, I just don't find anything about driving 'fun'.

Edited by anime52k8

The people who think this way are typically the type of guys who drive obnoxiously load sports cars and then downshift just to make even more obnoxious noise. The type of guys who roar up to within an inch or your ass when you're already going 5 miles over the speed limit then gun it around you just so they can slam on the breaks for the red light less tan 100 feet away. The type of guys who shoot across 4 lanes of traffic and cut off a big rig at night in order to make an exit. The type of guys who think it's a good idea to pass logging trucks in Oregon.

I'm a competent driver, I just don't find anything about driving 'fun'.

the average person always considers himself a better than average driver

Compared to the sleepheaded halfwits busy with everything but driving, where they forget everything that isn't automatic and have to do themselves?

People should be more focused on driving instead of going from A to B as a bunch of zombies in a parade

also if you are overtaking with 5 miles an hour, I can state that you are less concious about traffic than I am, since I realise there may always be someone faster than me

even when I grab a handfull of throttle and blast in the 100's over the left lane to overtake a truck, I still keep my blindspot and mirror in check

But then again, I'm only busy with driving

I don't have passengers, sigarettes, navsystems, radios, cellphones or any other 'on board gizmos' distracting me

On 2 wheels I need to take in account wind, grip in roadconditions like wetness, dirt, temperature -also of my tires and throttle at leanangle

not take a sip of coffee, take out my razor, take a call, take in the latest news on radio or in paper or even take a puff from a sigarette

I can't even relax in gridlock, since when riding between lanes (-at moderate speed, allowed here) a car may just switch lanes without checking his mirrors or using his signal

The more aggressive I ride, the more focused I am on any possible dangers occuring

slouching like a half comathose in a luxurious private bubble does not improve driving skills or response time, both of which are badly needed in something dynamic as traffic

I'll even be so bold to say that those driving in convertibles are more aware of their surroundings than those in closed/topped cars

...blast in the 100's over the left lane to overtake a truck... riding between lanes... The more aggressive I ride, the more focused I am...

Oh yeah?

the average person always considers himself a better than average driver

You don't say... :rolleyes:

Oh yeah?

You think I overtake trucks at high speeds (and from 60 to 100+ is possible in the length of a semi) in heavy traffic or without looking forward? and do you think it's smart for a bike to stay alongside a truck for long?

Hell it's even taught (no we don't get lessons from uncle Buck, but from licensed drivingschools) to pass vehicles quickly to get out of the turbulence/spray and keep the chance of being sandwiched against the guardrail to a minimum

Riding between lanes during gridlock is allowed by LAW over here, with no more than a speeddifference of 10 kph, up till 50, then you're requiered to weave back into the lane

And I can ride aggressively without breaking any traffic laws or hindering others

Putting in more effort requires more concentration, though perhaps not in a car

You don't say... rolleyes.gif

Yeah, selfreflection keeps a man humble

Edited by Nightdare

You think I overtake trucks at high speeds (and from 60 to 100+ is possible in the length of a semi) in heavy traffic or without looking forward? and do you think it's smart for a bike to stay alongside a truck for long?

Hell it's even taught (no we don't get lessons from uncle Buck, but from licensed drivingschools) to pass vehicles quickly to get out of the turbulence/spray and keep the chance of being sandwiched against the guardrail to a minimum

Riding between lanes during gridlock is allowed by LAW over here, with no more than a speeddifference of 10 kph, up till 50, then you're requiered to weave back into the lane

And I can ride aggressively without breaking any traffic laws or hindering others

Putting in more effort requires more concentration, though perhaps not in a car

Yeah, selfreflection keeps a man humble

Hey, I don't care how you drive. That's between you, the asphalt, and maybe local law enforcement. I just thought it was amusingly ironic to note that everyone thinks they're an above-average driver before explaining why you think you're an above-average driver.

Stuff that into a 3600lb sedan or 2800lb coupe and I'd gives the manufacturer a thumbs up. Stuff it into a 4500lb Smart Activity Life Intelligence Sport Crossover with 9 speed automatic + 256 nanny features and it'll be purchased by idiots who will hold up traffic, block your view and cause insurance premiums to go up because when they crash, 4500lbs x 400hp = lots of momentum.

Agreed, but a good motor is a good motor, and if it finds its way into sport crossover bull crap cars it'll just as likely find its way into a sports sedan or coupe simply to justify production.

Nightdare's posts shows that he is a rider, not a driver!

Anyway, nothing wrong with claiming to be above average.

As for the whole concept of 'Speeding'. Well, what is speeding? Pretty relative concept.

A guy going 50mph on the freeway might think the 100mph guy is a dick but my granny going 25mph might think the 50mph guy is a dick too.

Anyway, my stand is 'It is not 'speeding' that is dangerous, it is bad driving'.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Jaguar E Type, an anonymous Swiss businessman has commissioned Vizualtech and freelance designer Robert Palm to create a one-off inspired by the iconic sports car. The Growler E 2011 Concept is built on a Jaguar XKR platform with a supercharged 5.0 liter V8 that generates 600 bhp. Estimated 0-60 acceleration is less than 4 seconds.

It may be a one-off, but if there is enough demand, Vizualtech will build a limited number of the Growler.

Not too keen on the scalloped(?) section in the lower door, but otherwise: very sexy. I like.

Methinks that rear deck will likely need to be addressed though, or there may be rear aero lift issues, like those with the early Audi TT's? And tone down those wheels a bit, eh?

Edited by reddsun1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_NYWyVHcl0&feature=related

GM would almost certainly never let the Walkinshaw R8 see US shores, lest it upstage their halo car, the 'Vette. The car that was so good, not even Pontiac could completely fu*k it up. The Aussies certainly kept the hottest versions to themselves. Top Gear Australia proves that big a$$ ghetto bling dubs (was it "poof doofs" that he called them?) will not only show you've got sh*t poor taste, they'll also make your car SLOWER. <_<

(the perf differential between the Clubsport and Super-Clubbie is pretty underwhelming, though) Edited by reddsun1

As for the whole concept of 'Speeding'. Well, what is speeding? Pretty relative concept.

A guy going 50mph on the freeway might think the 100mph guy is a dick but my granny going 25mph might think the 50mph guy is a dick too.

Anyway, my stand is 'It is not 'speeding' that is dangerous, it is bad driving'.

no, it's a completely objective concept. If the legal posted speed limit is 65mph, going over 65mph is speeding. simple concept. ;)

no, it's a completely objective concept. If the legal posted speed limit is 65mph, going over 65mph is speeding. simple concept. ;)

unless you live in Texas and you're going through a town with homerule and the actual, unposted, speed limit is 45 and now the cops just nabbed you for doing 20 mph over the speed limit when you thought you were doing the speed limit.

unless you live in Texas and you're going through a town with homerule and the actual, unposted, speed limit is 45 and now the cops just nabbed you for doing 20 mph over the speed limit when you thought you were doing the speed limit.

Well then, all the reason to say away from Texas. I watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I know what goes on down there. :p

Not too keen on the scalloped(?) section in the lower door, but otherwise: very sexy. I like.

Methinks that rear deck will likely need to be addressed though, or there may be rear aero lift issues, like those with the early Audi TT's? And tone down those wheels a bit, eh?

I like the wheels, they need to bring back wire wheels. The only part I don't like are the double head lights. I don't get them at all, if the inner pair where gone and the outer pair where a bit larger it would look a lot better and more like the old E-types. Or at least make the outer ones noticeably bigger than the inner pair.

I like the wheels, they need to bring back wire wheels. The only part I don't like are the double head lights. I don't get them at all, if the inner pair where gone and the outer pair where a bit larger it would look a lot better and more like the old E-types. Or at least make the outer ones noticeably bigger than the inner pair.

I like the design as well; but do they need to be so oversized? I'd think 18" is sufficient to fill out the wheelwells and allow for plenty of options in the way of performance rubber, yet not clash with the body lines. I just hate the DUmB look that's all the rage now...

What the crap happened to this thread? If you're doing the kind of driving that is "fun" and you're not on a track then you're probably an idiot. If you think speeding doesn't have a clearcut legal definition then you're probably an idiot. If you think garrish paint schemes and zero back pressure exhaust that sounds like a horde of angry wasps makes your car faster then you're probably an idiot. There's nothing wrong with enjoying your time behind the wheel but there's a time and a place for going all out and that time and place has nothing in common with the areas where people are driving like zombies after a hard day of work just looking forward to getting home to see their wives and kids. Everyone is both above average and below average drivers depending on every other circumstance going on in their lives. If you think you're special and that "safe for conditions" speeds for you are way above everyone else's it's probably just proof that you haven't been driving long.

What the crap happened to this thread? If you're doing the kind of driving that is "fun" and you're not on a track then you're probably an idiot. If you think speeding doesn't have a clearcut legal definition then you're probably an idiot. If you think garrish paint schemes and zero back pressure exhaust that sounds like a horde of angry wasps makes your car faster then you're probably an idiot. There's nothing wrong with enjoying your time behind the wheel but there's a time and a place for going all out and that time and place has nothing in common with the areas where people are driving like zombies after a hard day of work just looking forward to getting home to see their wives and kids. Everyone is both above average and below average drivers depending on every other circumstance going on in their lives. If you think you're special and that "safe for conditions" speeds for you are way above everyone else's it's probably just proof that you haven't been driving long.

I'm your genuine Ghostrider, passing between cars and old ladies in wheelchairs with only inches to spare

popping wheelies in little kids' playgrounds and making burnouts in the driveways of hospitals rolleyes.gif

Yeah I'm pretty special, instead of jumping into a comfy padded and heated seat, the AC on "Snooze" temperature and a little music to listen to that are probably not the best idea when you're tired or weary

I actually actively need to take part in traffic and force myself to be awake and responsive or it'll have an immidiate effect on my driving

It's what I've been doing since 2004 every day in any weathercondition except snow and ice (and I have driven in those conditions as well)

I've crashed 2 bikes

1 at Zero mph, slipping out of my hands on a slippery tile when coming from crawl to full stop

1 at 5mph caught in a snowstorm, locked my brakes and highsided because I didn't want to take the risk of guessing if that car coming from the left was able to stop

(Even though I had right of way, taking an invite to play tag with a 2000lb adversary is never a good idea)

Yours is broke?

Neither is, neither are calibrated to the same standard, both even have a different divergence from their own calibration (lower at slower than higher speeds)

having a difference of 10mph between different vehicles at equal value on the odometer is nothing strange

If anyone's tach shows 65MPH they have big problems. If both tachs show 6500RPM then one person is being overtaken because the other person is in a different gear and going a different speed.

Sorry, Lost in translation, I was confused with a Tachograph