The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

Imagine if Dodge released the Viper over 30 years ago to compete with the Corvette Stingray. What would you get? Well, just a Corvette clone.

2009 Dodge Viper Concept 1967 by Rafael Reston

While that is really pretty cool, that is MUCH to Euro looking for what Dodge would have done at that time period. Lots of Corvette touches, though.

Vostok 7

While that is really pretty cool, that is MUCH to Euro looking for what Dodge would have done at that time period. Lots of Corvette touches, though.

Vostok 7

Yeah. Perhaps instead of calling it a Viper, why not call it the Chrysler Firepower instead? After all, the 1967 concept bears more of a resemblance to the Firepower than the Viper.

2005-Chrysler-Firepower-SA-Speed-1920x1440.jpg

Super car prices have gotten out of hand. The thing may as well be a 1.8 Billion dollar car. Stupid. For 500k you could hire an f1 team to just build you one that would kick the Zonda's ass.

I actually don't think that Zonda is even road legal. Its a track only deal.

Which I guess if that is the argument we could go for a Caterham7 500R which is also faster and cost like 60 grand.

Given the current economic climate, motorsports as a whole will inevitably see a bit of contraction [temporarily]. So you won't exactly see Pagoni selling those racing Zondas by the bushel. But rest assured, they will likely sell at least 1 or 2, even if to some private collector(s) who never even race in any sanctioned series. The people who have the disposable income to consider buying a car like that don't give a whit about practicality or cost-effectiveness--they're going to be the kind of person(s) who want to make a statement, the kind of statement that only a car like that could make.

Personally, I don't see pissing away $1.8mil on one stinkin car. With that kind of dough, one could get a couple of well-sorted GT3-Rs, and fund a top-notch professional outfit for a whole season. That'd be my dream year! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
Faster and less than half the cost:

Ugh. I've seen that thing in person. Runs like crap, and is definitely not very fast (mind you, it was at 5000ft elevation when I saw it, they were having tuning problems). They tried some speed runs but kept having to pull out because stuff just wasn't running right. Fit and finish on the body is pretty junky too. Did you know the headlights are from a Ford Focus? Bleh.

It may be fast when they run it in Washington State, but it sure didn't impress me when I saw it in Nevada.

In other news, I should be picking up my Challenger on Monday!

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

I saw my first orange Challenger today---didn't like the color at all. Granted, it was almost dusk when I saw it, but it wasn't at all like I thought it'd be. I expected an incredibly reddish orange. This was----orange. Simply "not saturated enough" IMHO. Orange was one of my top choices if I get one some day, but not any more---unless I see more in other lighting and it looks way better. In real life it just did not match the photos at all. Pics make it look awesome--"almost red".

Who needs those cars. Give me a Nissan GT-R or a Nissan R34 Skyline GT-R. 90% as fast 500% more drivable every day. insanely cheaper to buy, maintain, insure.

I agree they look nice but impractical. I like street legal speed machines like the Subaru or the new Hyundai

Even the little Yaris I have seen here and there that have been modded look nice.

"Formula Drift" LOL.

The word "Formula" denotes high performance, but "drift cars" are by definition crappy cars.. Good cars don't break traction. Actual high performance manufacturers spend millions upon millions each year to improve this.

Seeing "Drift" as a motorsport would be like adding an eating, or farting contest to the Olympics. Just stupid.

I can certainly appreciate and respect the amount of skill and car control it takes to drift a car the way some of those guys can.

Here's a good example of superb car control:

But take it with a grain of salt. Mind you, this guy obviously got MULTIPLE takes to get such awesome results. Pay attention to the mounted camera on the car, and position of the sun/daylight at various points in the vid... <_< 1:35s - "the world's fastest/loudest weed eater!" :p

But yes, it is kinda silly to try to create a sport that flies in the face of all conventional wisdom and practice about how to make a car navigate a closed course as quickly as possible. Everything I'd learned in my brief exposure to motorsports was about how to get a car to NOT do things like that, in order to go quicker. I know, I know; it's not about who's the "fastest."

Formula Drift...the WWE of motor sports...

Edited by reddsun1

I own a Nissan Silvia(s14)

God, I hate you! :lol:

I spent almost 2 years trying to find one without having to spend a fortune. I had to give up my search when I was transferred to a different location that changed my drive to work from five minutes to just over an hour.

I'll admit that drifting is silly and kind of a dumb sport, but it's no more boring than stuff like NASCAR or Cart. My biggest problem with drift is all the dumb kids buying "drift cars" for them to drive into walls, thusly rising the prices of otherwise affordable late 80's japanese rwd cars.

That new Fast & the Furious movie looks pretty great. I enjoyed the first and third movies a lot, in terms of simple action movies. This one looks to be more of the same. Plus it has a GNX!