Macross Ace

Ganbare

my copies of Vol.6 are waiting at Kinokuniya. Since I have to work tonight across the street, I'll probably leave early enough to pick it up, or maybe just get it on Saturday. Can't wait to see this Vol. The changes in the story are what make it so fun to look through.

Where do you guys get your Macross Ace other than Kinokuniya and ebay? I'm missing volumes 2 and 3 and was wondering if there's a way to get those backissues.

They're completely sold out from the publishers, so your best bet would be, yes, Ebay...or Amazon.co.jp.

Vol. 002

Vol. 003

(Wow, they're charging a hell of a lot for Vol. 003...it's GOTTA go down at some point... :wacko: )

They're completely sold out from the publishers, so your best bet would be, yes, Ebay...or Amazon.co.jp.

Vol. 002

Vol. 003

(Wow, they're charging a hell of a lot for Vol. 003...it's GOTTA go down at some point... :wacko: )

Nah, all the back issues are expensive on Amazon.co.jp. New you can get for, IIRC, 580 en. Back-orders in the States, at least, you're more likely to get a good deal on eBay. I'm glad I got all of them when they first came out, including 6!

Edited by Talos

Where do you guys get your Macross Ace other than Kinokuniya and ebay? I'm missing volumes 2 and 3 and was wondering if there's a way to get those backissues.

I have Macross Ace 2,4,5 and 6 for Sale as well as Macross the first 1 and 2, all brand new.

These and more things here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33897

With collections being released it stands to reason that the earlier issues would be discontinuted. However, another avenue to consider is to buy directly from Japan via Amazon.jp. They only ship books and videos internationally so games and toys are not an option.

Amazon Japan Macross Books

B))

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys. JasonC is selling me his extra copies so I'm all set.

On a side note, I also buy Gundam Ace so when they first released Macross Ace I was totally ecstatic. Would be nice if they release them more frequently, but I guess it's better the original release schedule of just a few a year.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is it me or or is that VF-1j head different than even the current version seen in the line art or the actual Macross the first? the eye slit looks... meaner. artist intent?

Got the mag yesterday afternoon, quick overview:

Macross DaFirst: Bloody excellent. Lots of Destroid love, Minmay is useful, Max kicks ass, Hikaru reminds everyone of his existence in a wonderful way, and overall a very original twist on the Kamjin introduction. THIS is what I want The First to be like all the time. It's a whole new adventure, with familiar faces. Excellent, my favourite chapter so far. I might go talk about it in the proper thread.

Macross Plus: Awful. God, I still don't see the point of this series and I don't think I ever will. We've all seen the OVA, we all know what happens, who wants to see it with terrible art and cheesy truncated dialogue?

Macross Triangle Frontier (PSP) feature: Interesting, first showing of all the original pilots in their "normal" clothes. Seems that you can choose any of those characters to be enrolled at Mihoshi Academy... That latino fellow is supposed to be 31 years old, so the magazine itself promptly points out that there he may have issues socializing with his classmates.

Macross 7th Code: Basara and Gamlin apparently start to get more involvement in the story... still not sure where this is all going...

Lastly, the short SDF comic strips are the usual fun stuff. Haven't read anything else yet, but it seems my favourite columns with Ohara Noriko and Ishiguro Noboru are back from hiatus along with the usual Itano, Miyatake and Hikawa columns so I'll check those out next. I didn't notice a Mechatronix column this time round, though.

There's plenty of Frontier content to build up interest in the movie in terms of interviews and stuff, aside from the usual manga and stories.

Overall not a bad issue, the Tenjin calendar is great, and once again "The First" is nothing short of amazing. :)

Got my copy too, not a bad volume at all.

Macross the First was epic, as always. Max makes one hell of a destroid pilot. I actually got worried about the Prometheus there for awhile, what with

Zentradi tentacle bondage and undocking it

The VF-1J poster/calendar that came with it is awesome. I love how they melded the DYRL and TV schemes together into a very modern look.

The Plus adaption is worthless. If you're going to do an adaption of an old OVA like that, at least give it new material like Macross the First, or provide decent mechanical art. Ugly!

More details later, I'm looking through the GM book now.

As I read through Macross the First again yesterday, I couldn't help but feel bad for poor Hyperion. What did that moon ever do to them in the first place? :o

I also didn't know destroids could do moves like some of the ones Max did. They were certainly quite...impressive. But Kamjin definitely has a reason to warn Milia now, but he hasn't seen the blue fighter yet...

As I read through Macross the First again yesterday, I couldn't help but feel bad for poor Hyperion. What did that moon ever do to them in the first place? :o

I think it just happened to be there. Innocent bystander, and all that.

I also didn't know destroids could do moves like some of the ones Max did. They were certainly quite...impressive. But Kamjin definitely has a reason to warn Milia now, but he hasn't seen the blue fighter yet...

I think it's simply because SDFM and DYRL never bothered to have them do anything but be a background element. The only other animation that hints at their true potential, is during the battle around the carrier in Macross Zero.

Probably the ultimate showcase of their true (hand to hand) combat capabilities is in "Macross Plus: Game Edition". There drop kicks and roundhouse punches are mind boggling (especially when the Monster does it). Of course, nothing beats the reverse spinning leap kick that the Regult does in that game... (no, haven't played any of the PSP games, so don't know if they have destroids doing similar cool moves.)

Nevertheless, pure awesome FTW that the SDFM/DYRL destroids get showcased and kick a$$ at least once. Though, it begs the question: as "Macross the First" appears to be mostly relying on DYRL designs, will the Phalanx be making an appearance?

The Phalanx appeared in the DYRL PS1 and Saturn game, so there's little reason to rule it out of appearing later on.

I have to stress yet again that this entire episode was just pure awe. Made me want to get my 1/60 Tomahawk out and spin it around!

As for the Destroids in the PSP games -- yeah, they are extremely maneouverable, with plenty of kicking and punching actions. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my hands on issue 7. Next issue is due out 2-26-2011: does it mean that Macross Ace has become a bi-monthly publication?

Are you talking about the little blurb in the lower right-hand corner of the last page? If so, that's not for the next issue, that's for Frontier Movie #2. As far as I can tell, the magazine is still quarterly. Strangely, though, there's no ad for the next issue anywhere in the magazine.

Are you talking about the little blurb in the lower right-hand corner of the last page? If so, that's not for the next issue, that's for Frontier Movie #2. As far as I can tell, the magazine is still quarterly. Strangely, though, there's no ad for the next issue anywhere in the magazine.

Ah, ok, yes, it's that little blurb (I got confused as it's where the "next issue will be out in..." usually goes.

Thanks.