Macross Ace

Ganbare

I would guess that the difference between Macross Ace and SDFM is mainly the personal development of Haruhiko Mikimoto's artstyle. I doubt he would imitate the later Macross shows. They all are pretty lacking in character design. Frontier being the worst of the bunch.

Mikimoto did the character designs for SDFM, DYRL, and M7. Together with Akemi Takada and Yoshikazu Yasuhiko he dominated character design in the 80s and early 90s. These three have pretty much created the looks for every major character in mecha anime from UC Gundam to Macross to Patlabor and Gunbuster.

Always loved Haruhiko 'HAL' Mikimoto art. The reason why I was drawn to Eve in MEGAZONE 23, SDC: Orguss, Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket. Also perhaps the real reasons why I absolutely adored Macross 7 & Macross II (both charcter designs by HAL) without any residue hangups, unlike a few MWers.

Also hoped that Macross the First will be done in mangaka format like Macross 7 Trash. The new Minmay reimagined is hawttt!

Good to know.

Do you think Macross licensing is so borked that there's no chance of the Manga ever getting translated offically and brought over here? I'm not sure if Harmony Gold has any sway over the comics side of Macross.

EDIT: Granted, at 80 pages an issue, and each issue coming out maybe twice a year, it'll be an AGE until there's enough material to release here anyway. But still.

HG currently only has a say as to what can or cannot be called "Macross" in the North American market, as they currently own the trademark to the name. BigWest has not yet challenged that trademark and we simply don't know if or when they will.

Always loved Haruhiko 'HAL' Mikimoto art. The reason why I was drawn to Eve in MEGAZONE 23, SDC: Orguss, Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket. Also perhaps the real reasons why I absolutely adored Macross 7 & Macross II (both charcter designs by HAL) without any residue hangups, unlike a few MWers.

Also hoped that Macross the First will be done in mangaka format like Macross 7 Trash. The new Minmay reimagined is hawttt!

Thank you. That explains why I too love M7 and M2, and the various other anime you mentioned above (especially War in the Pocket) but dislike M+. Like I said in another thread, M+ is just a CGI tech demo to me.

Thank you. That explains why I too love M7 and M2, and the various other anime you mentioned above (especially War in the Pocket) but dislike M+. Like I said in another thread, M+ is just a CGI tech demo to me.

In defense of Macross Plus, Mikimoto had the choice (I believe I read it in an interview) of doing the designs for Macross Plus OR Macross 7, and he chose Macross 7. Personally I wish he would have done both, and I believe that Hal said in the

interview that in retrospect he should have gone with Macross Plus instead. That really would have been cool!!! ^_^

n defense of Macross Plus, Mikimoto had the choice (I believe I read it in an interview) of doing the designs for Macross Plus OR Macross 7, and he chose Macross 7. Personally I wish he would have done both, and I believe that Hal said in the

interview that in retrospect he should have gone with Macross Plus instead. That really would have been cool!!! happy.gif

Agreed. It's a shame that Mikimoto couldn't design the charcater for M+.

In defense of Macross Plus, Mikimoto had the choice (I believe I read it in an interview) of doing the designs for Macross Plus OR Macross 7, and he chose Macross 7. Personally I wish he would have done both, and I believe that Hal said in the

interview that in retrospect he should have gone with Macross Plus instead. That really would have been cool!!! ^_^

I didn't think there was a problem with character designs in Plus.....

Listen, I'm a big Hal fan from way back but his designs on Macross 7 was very uninspired and lack that flair of his Macross and Orguss work. What happen to those marble eyes?

Listen, I'm a big Hal fan from way back but his designs on Macross 7 was very uninspired and lack that flair of his Macross and Orguss work. What happen to those marble eyes?

Be fair now...his sketches for Macross 7 were pretty damn good...before the designs got "finished" by someone else to make them easier to draw quickly.

hehe, I'm not surprised. Plus and Fatal Fury have the same character designer ;) It's a bit of a hate it or love it thing I guess.

Love Mikimotos newer work on Tytania it really has that classic Mikimoto feel to it.

I didn't like people's noses in Macross Plus. Particularly the girls. All of them needed nose jobs.

Pete

I remember reading the review of Plus Vol. 1 in Animerica way back when, and, as I recall, they said something like "Finally! Anime characters that aren't afraid to have noses!"

Which I think sums it up nicely.

How many issues of Macross Ace do you think would cover all 36 episodes of SDF TV?

It depends on how much he's planning to condense the story.

The first issue followed "Booby Trap" pretty closely (with some variations, and scenes cut and added), but I doubt it will continue to be that faithful.

"Gundam the Origin" told the first two episodes in depth, before beginning to skim over some of the others (and omit a number of them completely). Evangelion told the first six episodes quite faithfully before leapfrogging over quite a few.

I imagine that Mikimoto is obligated to tell the first three episodes without much variation from the show...after that, it's anybody's guess (and who knows if he's lanning to include the post-war arc or not?).

Hell, he may even throw in story points from DYRL. No one knows.

I imagine that Mikimoto is obligated to tell the first three episodes without much variation from the show...after that, it's anybody's guess (and who knows if he's lanning to include the post-war arc or not?).

That MIGHT make up for not knowing the whereabouts of Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay! (Maybe)! ^_^

He could do something crazy and actually and take the story all the way though 2012 and then the disappearance.

Guessing about fiction is one of those things that has always seemed kind of futile.

I agree that it's kind of futile, but we already have some clues as to how it will proceed.

1) The script is almost word-for-word the same as the script for "Booby Trap."

2) A lot of the designs are DYRL-inspired.

3) The story begins in 2012 with the departure of the Megaroad, and thus appears to be told as a flashback.

4) Minmay looks hot.

He could throw caution to the wind and start including a lot of the DYRL plot, but it doesn't seem TOO likely. It seems to be modeled after Gundam the Origin, and I think that's the best example of how it wil proceed (minus the backstory that fills up six volumes of Gundam).

As long as the magazine stays popular long enough for him to tell the whole story the way he wants to, I'm happy.

If anyone know when the pre-order is avaible, please let us know.

I contacted the San Jose branch of Kinokuniya, and they confirmed they have ordered the magazine (and I placed a hold for two copies). For those living near a Kinokuniya, try contacting them via e-mail.

Here is the information listed on Kadokawa's website for now. Nothing spectacular, and no dedicated page to the issue yet (probably will be up around 6/26):

*ガンダムエース 21年8月号 増刊 マクロスエース Vol.002 12402-08*

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/mag/bknum.php?tp=gundam_ace

It depends on how much he's planning to condense the story.

The first issue followed "Booby Trap" pretty closely (with some variations, and scenes cut and added), but I doubt it will continue to be that faithful.

"Gundam the Origin" told the first two episodes in depth, before beginning to skim over some of the others (and omit a number of them completely). Evangelion told the first six episodes quite faithfully before leapfrogging over quite a few.

(He finally rows up on a raft made up of lashed-together Yamato boxes, bearded, with tattered clothing, looking like a BBC presenter who's fallen on hard times. Gasping for breath, he says --)

Wow, so they ARE doing a "Macross the Origin"! Has this hit the US yet?

Well, the scanlation is coming along fine...here's a sample page. I did the translation, which reflects the intention of the original creators, and VFTF1 did the awesome photoshop work to fit the text in and create new English sound effects.

post-939-1235105645_thumb.jpeg

We welcome your feedback! :D

Thanks so much for your efforts Gubaba Cheers!!!

But rick... mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn :lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I contacted the San Jose branch of Kinokuniya, and they confirmed they have ordered the magazine (and I placed a hold for two copies). For those living near a Kinokuniya, try contacting them via e-mail.

I've heard troubling news using that method. Yes, they shipping what you order, but when the books/magazine arrive, you must be there or someone else will buy it first.

I don't know if it's true, since I'm using delivery service provided by my friend.

But if not, it's a very good idea using that delivery method. And if anybody in this forum want to buy Macross Ace and to ensure you will get it, I suggest try to contact nearest Kinokuniya.

I've heard troubling news using that method. Yes, they shipping what you order, but when the books/magazine arrive, you must be there or someone else will buy it first.

I don't know if it's true, since I'm using delivery service provided by my friend.

But if not, it's a very good idea using that delivery method. And if anybody in this forum want to buy Macross Ace and to ensure you will get it, I suggest try to contact nearest Kinokuniya.

I don't think it's true. The Los Angeles branch has always been very, VERY good about holding stuff for me.

If you don't special order it, though, I think they only hold it for a week.

QUOTE (Ganbare @ Jun 11 2009, 01:11 AM) *

I don't think it's true. The Los Angeles branch has always been very, VERY good about holding stuff for me.

If you don't special order it, though, I think they only hold it for a week.

I see. Only in my country then....blast....

Anyone with a Kinokuniya near them willing to pick me up a copy if at all possible? I can paypal the funds and shipping costs to you immediately, I would just very much prefer not having to pay ridiculous shipping on what is essentially a disposable magazine. I did that once already.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone with a Kinokuniya near them willing to pick me up a copy if at all possible? I can paypal the funds and shipping costs to you immediately, I would just very much prefer not having to pay ridiculous shipping on what is essentially a disposable magazine. I did that once already.

Yeah, I'll do that.

Unfortunately, they're not going to get it for about three weeks after it comes out. <_<

Yeah, I'll do that.

Unfortunately, they're not going to get it for about three weeks after it comes out. <_<

Same fate with me, if I get the copy.

I wonder they not put pre-order this time? It should avaible now, since the first relase is 26th February.

Is there any delay?

Edited by Ganbare

Very confusing! Somebody pls confirm this.

200905000495.jpg

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/mag/bk_detail.php?pcd=200905000495

Macross ace combine with Gundam ace? My brtohr have tried to translate the page from Kadokawa, but still confusing since it's have own price. Firts release on Sankakucomplex.com....

Somebody, pls confirm this, ASAP!

If you go to 'this month mag release page' (have been translate to English) and click the information about Macross Ace vol. 002, you'll find this:

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/mag/bknum.php?tp=gundam_ace

The book code are been renewal...what's that mean?

Perhaps Mr, Gubaba can solve this mystery...ASAP respond, pls?

Edited by Ganbare