Macross Ace

Ganbare

Really? I have to disagree:

post-939-1233474429_thumb.jpg

I don't have a copy, and this is the first good shot I've seen. all the other scans I've seen just don't look right to me. (particularly the one I quoted, and the one with her sheryl and ranka.)

Damn! Mikimoto is still the king of reinvention. His Macross art style constantly changes but at the root it's still Macross.

Here's another one I thought was really cool:

post-939-1233477874_thumb.jpg

A lot of the shots with the Macross in them really give you a good idea of just how damn BIG it is.

(And can you tell I'm enjoying my scanner? ^_^ )

I don't have a copy, and this is the first good shot I've seen. all the other scans I've seen just don't look right to me. (particularly the one I quoted, and the one with her sheryl and ranka.)

To be fair, Mikimoto didn't draw any of the Frontier manga. As for those, well...I think Secret Visions LOOKS really good, and there's another (very, very short one, featuing the Nyan Nyan mascot girl) that looks really nice...all the others are fair to middling. And I'm not sure if I like the style for "Macross 7th Chord" yet. Basara looks fine, but the other characters don't look terribly Macross-y.

I really want to buy this, but considering I can't read any Japanese whatsoever it wouldn't do me any good would it?

I think it would. Macross the First take up more than a third of the issue, and if you've seen the first episode of SDFM, then you don't need to know any Japanese to understand it. There are a lot of nice pics of models and toys, a really great Tenjin picture, some picture heavy Frontier articles...it goes on.

And most of the thing is comics, anyway. It's not THAT hard to understand what's going on.

The one thing that I really want to read but can't (yet) in it is the Macross Frontier short story, "Cosmic Egg," which is a prequel of sorts, about Alto, Michael, and Luca before the first episode of Frontier.

Pages of tiny-fonted text frighten me...

I honestly don't like the new look for minmay. her eye's are too round and the rest of her features are too nonexistent.

I agree with Gubaba and disagree with you, Mike - but please note that the picture you quoted has "rounder" eyes for a reason - it looks like she's a) mad (in one panel) and then b) embarassed (in another panel) - the bigger eyes are just for emotion.

Personally - I think the art in this thing looks AMAZING from the scans that people have generously posted here. Minmey looks truly beatiful. Not even "sexy" or "oogle!" but just really really beautiful - and cute :)

Misa - on the other hand - looks STIFF! A-sexual. Totally like an OBASA!

Hah hah - it's good, I guess - to show her that way in the beginning.

I am sure - and curious to see it - that as the story progresses, Misa will start showing off some womanliness, as she did in SDFM TV - and it will be great to see how this is rendered artistically.

But here - you can see the great great contrast between OBASA DEMON WOMAN and this utterly gorgeous Minmey... if you didn'tk now the story, you'd NEVER guess OBASA could be the woman to fall in love with :)

this is truly great work from the looks of it.

Pete

Misa - on the other hand - looks STIFF! A-sexual. Totally like an OBASA!

Hah hah - it's good, I guess - to show her that way in the beginning.

I am sure - and curious to see it - that as the story progresses, Misa will start showing off some womanliness, as she did in SDFM TV - and it will be great to see how this is rendered artistically.

But here - you can see the great great contrast between OBASA DEMON WOMAN and this utterly gorgeous Minmey... if you didn'tk now the story, you'd NEVER guess OBASA could be the woman to fall in love with :)

this is truly great work from the looks of it.

Pete

Yeah, Misa is still in nothing but the job mode right now and I to am looking forward to seeing her progress and start showing off womanliness as you say. Really looking forward to seeing Misa and Hikaru relationship develop in Mikimoto art.

Looks like Macross Ace #001 has sold out on Amazon Japan and is at #70 of all Japanese book sales on site.... I am glad I got my copy. I love it. I really like the new uniforms and flight suits of Macross-The First. Welcome back HAL. I am also glad to see so much mecha art.

The art is great, I'm still thinking of ordering a copy - anyone know if I'll still be able to get it for a decent price in a couple weeks?

I really want to buy this, but considering I can't read any Japanese whatsoever it wouldn't do me any good would it?

I went ahead and bought it just for the art as I always do. I'll probably buy it again if it ever gets translated, but something tells me that it will never get released here in the US. cough...HG...cough...

Misa is still in nothing but the job mode right now and I to am looking forward to seeing her progress and start showing off womanliness

Here's the interesting question:

Who is more sexually provocative and attractive:

The girl who wears military uniforms as part of her BDSM stage act (Sheryl) or the girl who ACTUALLY wears military uniforms because it's her job?

In other words: what's more attractive - someone who "pretends" to be stiff and disciplined as part of an explicit sexual act (as in acting) or someone who IS stiff and disciplined and therefore unintentionally sexually attractive?

I guess these new pictures of Misa really have a Sheryl vibe in them and I'm trying to come to grips - it's almost as though I half expect Misa to suddenly flick off that military cap and start pole dancing :)

Too bad she can't sing :)

Pete

Here's the interesting question:

Who is more sexually provocative and attractive:

The girl who wears military uniforms as part of her BDSM stage act (Sheryl) or the girl who ACTUALLY wears military uniforms because it's her job?

In other words: what's more attractive - someone who "pretends" to be stiff and disciplined as part of an explicit sexual act (as in acting) or someone who IS stiff and disciplined and therefore unintentionally sexually attractive?

I guess these new pictures of Misa really have a Sheryl vibe in them and I'm trying to come to grips - it's almost as though I half expect Misa to suddenly flick off that military cap and start pole dancing :)

Too bad she can't sing :)

Pete

Hmmm interesting question. I think I would go with Misa on that one, alway liked the Misa and Hikaru relationship and watching the charachter development as they grew closer and fell in love. Uhm as for the pole dancing they need to keep that in a doujinshi something. :lol:

When the translations start, I may not be able to translate, but my photoshop skills are pretty damn good. Not only that, my wife is a graphics designer and can help me with extra fonts and other stuff to get a beautifully translated version. Anyways, just thought I'd throw that in if anyone is interested or may need help soon, or down the line.

When the translations start, I may not be able to translate, but my photoshop skills are pretty damn good. Not only that, my wife is a graphics designer and can help me with extra fonts and other stuff to get a beautifully translated version. Anyways, just thought I'd throw that in if anyone is interested or may need help soon, or down the line.

PM'd you.

except, there wasn't even an attempt at acting stiff or disciplined on sheryl's act. it was more of a "check out the slurmty captain" until she takes even more of here close off.

Anyways I still find Sheryl a tiny bit more attractive but the uniform actually increases Misa's hotness, whereas Sheryl's fake captain uniform just looks goofy.

Hmm, I want to see Misa in a skimpy Chinese outfit like Minmay, and than compare her with the military uniform. :rolleyes:

Hmm, something is missing here, we're discussing about Misa hotness and MisaForever is nowhere to be found, someone get him here ASAP, I think last time I saw him is in Klang thread. :lol:

I grabbed my copy yesterday. ¥480... I just can say... I love it. It took me like 4 hours to read it all (except the novelization part).

Macross the First has changed a lot of little details but it just add to the whole. The thing I liked more is that in the intro panels you can really

feel how big is the SDF-1. We always talk about a 1200 m. ship but can you really imagine it?

The interviews with Mikimoto and Miyatake are good and the Frontier gag manga is really funny.

We'll have to wait till June for the next number... :wacko:

I grabbed my copy yesterday. ¥480... I just can say... I love it. It took me like 4 hours to read it all (except the novelization part).

Macross the First has changed a lot of little details but it just add to the whole. The thing I liked more is that in the intro panels you can really

feel how big is the SDF-1. We always talk about a 1200 m. ship but can you really imagine it?

The interviews with Mikimoto and Miyatake are good and the Frontier gag manga is really funny.

We'll have to wait till June for the next number... :wacko:

Were there any interesting highlights in the Mikimoto interview?

Hmm...

He was talking about drawing not on paper but on the computer. Then talking about the characters and how they will be a little modified from the TV

original series. He said that back on '82 he went with someone to Shibuya to take pictures of the girls there so he could draw the clothes and stuff but doing

that now would get him arrested. This project was proposed to him 5 years ago or so by a variety of people but he just thought that there wasn't any point on

rehashing everything again, then Frontier came up, taking a lot of points from the original series, so seeing the new fans that it gathered he decided to tell the story again.

This will take a few years it seems.

Hmm...

He was talking about drawing not on paper but on the computer. Then talking about the characters and how they will be a little modified from the TV

original series. He said that back on '82 he went with someone to Shibuya to take pictures of the girls there so he could draw the clothes and stuff but doing

that now would get him arrested. This project was proposed to him 5 years ago or so by a variety of people but he just thought that there wasn't any point on

rehashing everything again, then Frontier came up, taking a lot of points from the original series, so seeing the new fans that it gathered he decided to tell the story again.

This will take a few years it seems.

Thanks for the info on the interview. I don't want him to rush it, I want Macross the First to stay at the current high quality of the first two chapters.

Wew, for long time I got my copy, at last. As I expected Macross the first is Superb, Amazing !!. Unfortunately there isn't any spin off from other Macross series. Hopefully in the future there are more story like Macross the First. I. Luckily the GAG very funny and cute too ^^, so 480 yen is worth to spend.

Edited by Ganbare

Yes, there's too many Frontier spin off. I was expected Macross plus spin off. Perhaps my hope is too high, I think.

Macross Plus wasn't that big of a hit in Japan. At the very least, it was only a blip on the anime radar for a limited period of time (say 1 episode every 2 or 3 months for a year, max), and only available at rental shops.

Macross 7, on the other hand, was on TV for 2+ years, followed by a video release - making it very visible. Macross F has just finished it's run, and it's the prime reason the publication is being made (it's created the interest).

The other thing to consider is - what else can be added to the Macross Plus storyline? If anything, only a lead up to Isamu's being transferred... but would that make a good character story? And with the wrong artist, a mecha-action focused story would be really, really terrible.

Well, I expected Macross ace = Gundam ace. There's plenty story about Gundam and some cool mecha appear in the side/spin off story. But it didn't happen in Macross universe, that what I expected. For comparison with Gundam, many people design Various MS from diffrent people and made they own side/spin off story.

But I feel is imposible anyone else design original VF better than kawamori. So nobody dare to make Macross Spin off :(.

I hope this explain what I mean there's no side/spin off story of Macross.