A Mild Suggestion...

Gubaba

As we are now a week into the new year, I think it's time for a little house cleaning...and so here the topics, analogies, and general clichés that I respectfully suggest should not be brought up this year:

1) Which is worse: Macross II or Macross 7?

We've heard it all, we've seen it all. Yes, we know Macross II is a lame rip-off of DYRL. We know that Macross 7 has too much music and not enough fighting. We know that Macross II characters are too bland, and we know that basara is too obnoxious. Please...give it a rest.

2) The Ending of Macross Zero Sucked.

Again, we know. We saw it. Having you say EXACTLY the same thing that dozens of people have said before doesn't make you smart, nor does it make you popular.

3) I call RETCON!

You can't retcon something that was never set in stone anyway. So the VF-0 was never mentioned in SDFM, so Fold Faults were never brought up before Frontier. So we'd never seen the SDFN-04 Global before...so what? Now if they suddenly said in the Frontier Movie that Hikaru and Minmay got married in 2011 and that Guld married Mylene at the end of Macross Dynamite 7, well...then we'd have a problem. But we don't. Deal with it.

4) I WISH KAIFUN/BASARA/RANKA WOULD JUST DIE!!!

"Repeat to yourself, 'It's just a show,

I should probably just relax."

5) If there's an ending where everyone sits around and sings "Kumbaya," I'm gonna PUKE!!!

Duh, it's Macross...that's how most of 'em end. If you don't like it, there are dozens of other robot animes that DON'T involve singing as a major plot point.

6) Macross II had no original creators working on it!

Kind of a minor one, but it does get mentioned occasionally. Mikimoto did the character designs, Sukehiro Tomita, who wrote the thing, also was one of the main writers for SDFM, and went on to write episodes of Macross 7, as well as all of Dynamite 7 and Macross Generation. Say what you will about Macross II, original staff DID INDEED work on it.

7) Will we ever find out what happened to Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay?

No, we won't. Unless we do.

At least we know they weren't sucked into a black hole, thanks to Egan Loo's research of how that rumor got started.

8) That frickin' Frontier OP parody picture with Captain Wilder, Ozma, and Howard Glass all naked.

We saw it months ago. We thought it was funny for a day or two.

9) Age of Consent Laws in Japan

Discussion of this accomplishes nothing except reveal your not-so-hidden urge to bang thirteen-year-olds. Don't ask, don't tell, dude.

10) ROBOTECH IS TEH AWESOME!!!!

Yeah, no one ever says that here...but I thought I'd err on the side of caution. ^_^

Y'know, you're probably right. It is said that once a truth is seen, it cannot be un-seen...and thus, you don't have to be reminded of it every few weeks.

Is that similar to how a picture, once seen, cannot be unseen, like that REALLY funny one that shows the Macross Frontier opening titles except it features Captain Wilder, Ozma and President Glass?

Taksraven

7) Will we ever find out what happened to Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay?

No, we won't. Unless we do.

At least we know they weren't sucked into a black hole, thanks to Egan Loo's research of how that rumor got started.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifxxrotflmao.gifxxrotflmao.gifxxrotflmao.gif

Good luck with that one. I've been trying for years and it always shows up just like clockwork.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifxxrotflmao.gifxxrotflmao.gifxxrotflmao.gif

Good luck with that one. I've been trying for years and it always shows up just like clockwork.

What's the story on that, anyways?

We could bring back the old Stealth ban. Just for giggles, since everyone seems to have forgotten the movie.

8) That frickin' Frontier OP parody picture with Captain Wilder, Ozma, and Howard Glass all naked.

We saw it months ago. We thought it was funny for a day or two.

9) Age of Consent Laws in Japan

Discussion of this accomplishes nothing except reveal your not-so-hidden urge to bang thirteen-year-olds. Don't ask, don't tell, dude.

As a mod, I'd like to repeat those two.

PS--and Zardoz. No Zardoz. If you don't know what it is---THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO ASK or to tell/show others. Just google it, you'll have your answer on the first page, guaranteed.

Why not just forget the list and learn to use the "Back" button on your browser?

Also, a little restraint with the "Post" button solves many a problem.

And lastly, there is the "Ignore" feature, should all else fail.

Cheque is in the mail, then? ;):p

11.) Youtube vids of naked people singing macross songs. (stop posting it.....seriously!)

12.) Alto chose Ranka/Sheryl. Its clear as day there! (unless the movie confirms one over the other and is expected to be canon by Kawamori)

>_<

And i don't know if gubaba's taking a playful jab at me with one of the topics. :lol:

Edited by wolfx

11.) Youtube vids of naked people singing macross songs. (stop posting it.....seriously!)

12.) Alto chose Ranka/Sheryl. Its clear as day there! (unless the movie confirms one over the other and is expected to be canon by Kawamori)

>_<

And i don't know if gubaba's taking a playful jab at me with one of the topics. :lol:

Good ones! Although I haven't seen any naked people on youtube singing Macross songs...only schoolgirls, violinists, and guitarists who all wear masks.

And if I'm making a jab at you, it's so subtle that even I don't know what it is...

Whats wrong with just not replying to threads that you don't like or have no interest in.. ?

Seems like it would save time and apparently stress.

Thought police to the rescue!

*GASP* A-are you saying I should *gulp* show some sense of...responsiblity...? When blaming others is not only more convenient, it's way more fun...? :p

Good ones! Although I haven't seen any naked people on youtube singing Macross songs...only schoolgirls, violinists, and guitarists who all wear masks.

And if I'm making a jab at you, it's so subtle that even I don't know what it is...

You don't want to then. Hahha. Granted i only seen the naked guy singing a bad rendition of Triangular...i hope not to see any more if there are any. >_<

And as for the jab, guess i'm just paranoid. :lol:

I meant what's the story on the blackhole. I know Kawamori doesn't want to write more of them(for obviosur easons, IMO).

I don't know specifically about the black hole, but somewhere on the new Macross Compendium, someone asked about what happened to the Megaroad-01, and Egan replied that them going off and disappearing at the center of the galaxy was from promo material for a DYRL-based game from the late eighties or early nineties, presenting "Minmay's Last Message." So considering that A) it was a little giveaway promo item, B) it was for a game, and C) it was based on DYRL, it makes the whole story rather suspect.

I can't verify this, but I get the feeling the "fell into a black hole" story came from the fanbase, probably first mentioned as a joke, but someone took it seriously and it spread. Lord knows I've had a couple of times where something I said in jest got wrenched out of context and misinterpreted (a while back in the news thread, when Sheryl's earrings had just been added to the MacZero Blu-Ray, I made a joke about other scenes that would be added to different chapters of the Macross story...and someone took me seriously).

I don't know specifically about the black hole, but somewhere on the new Macross Compendium, someone asked about what happened to the Megaroad-01, and Egan replied that them going off and disappearing at the center of the galaxy was from promo material for a DYRL-based game from the late eighties or early nineties, presenting "Minmay's Last Message." So considering that A) it was a little giveaway promo item, B) it was for a game, and C) it was based on DYRL, it makes the whole story rather suspect.

Ah.

I'd assumed it was an offhand remark at a con or something.

One too many people asked "What happened to Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay? You know, AFTER Hikaru married Misa and they all left on the Megaroad?" "They all fell in a black hole or something. Can we talk about something else now?"

More politely than that, of course, but...

'Course, the late-80s/early-90s games were all non-canon anyways. Fun though they may be.

Kinda odd that Komillia's only MENTION as something larger than a football is non-canon video games, but...

I can't verify this, but I get the feeling the "fell into a black hole" story came from the fanbase, probably first mentioned as a joke, but someone took it seriously and it spread. Lord knows I've had a couple of times where something I said in jest got wrenched out of context and misinterpreted (a while back in the news thread, when Sheryl's earrings had just been added to the MacZero Blu-Ray, I made a joke about other scenes that would be added to different chapters of the Macross story...and someone took me seriously).

I've had that happen to me before too.

Thats nothing, I KNOW that he is taking a jab at me with the RETCON one. :lol: :lol:

Taksraven

Its all well and good to tell us about what is forbidden and what we shouldn't talk about because I love totalitarianism, but how about a list of topics that are ENCOURAGED for discussion.

How about this.....

THE LIST OF UN-FORBIDDEN TOPICS ON THE MACROSSWORLD FORUMS
talk about them, please.

1. Which girl got Alto? - a new perspective on this fascinating topic.

2. What was the mystery fighter that appeared at the end of Macross Frontier Episode 5?

3. There were a few badly animated frames in Macross Frontier. Did you notice?

4. Which is canon? DYRL or SDF:M?

5. What is the significance of the spiral markings on the Vajra? They have to be there as a clue? Don't they?

6. Will we ever find out what happened to Shin and Sara? The other great mystery couple of the Macross Saga!

7. Forget Zardoz, what the hell is going on in Logans Run??

8. Does the fact that Bobby is gay make him a repugnant character? Is there a place for gay characters in the Macross universe?

9. HG vs Macek. Which is more evil?

10. Is Macross Zero the new Macross 7?

Ok, lets start discussing.

Taksraven

Ya know, I think it's VERY obvious that the one who got Alto was KLAN.

Really, she passes him Micheal's gunpod and everything.

It's CLEARLY symbolic of her "letting go" of his memory and moving on, and passing it to Alto is signifying that he's carrying on Micheal's legacy.

And his acceptance of the gun is, well, an acceptance of all it means. It's like an engagement ring, only more awesome and with more emotional baggage.

Gubaba:

Long list of topics we should ignore

Me:

I think I can lump the entire list into one sentence:

1. THOU SHALT NOT WRITE ON ANY SUBJECT THAT GUBABA IS TIRED OF READING ABOUT :)

Seriously though - I naturally 'agree' with you - sort of; but in defense of these topics:

a) As a Basara lover, I enjoy it when new topics and posts bashing Basara show up and when people make new arguments about why he sucks. It gives me the pleasure of coming to his defense and trying to show why he doesn't suck.

b) Same for Macross Zero. I LOVE the ending and think it's a beautiful anime and so when people bash it - I enjoy being able to defend it.

The same can pretty much be said for all the rest.

But yeah - of course you're right that instead of going over all the old stuff, we could show some creativity and bring up NEW subjects to talk about.

Only...what would those be?

Pete

ok, how about this:

all of them; sheryl, ranka, klan, even nanase :ph34r:

2. What was the mystery fighter that appeared at the end of Macross Frontier Episode 5?

NOT THE VF-2SS, and that all you need to know.

NO, REALLY?!? (dammit, where's that Macaulay Culkin pic when you need it)

both

5. What is the significance of the spiral markings on the Vajra? They have to be there as a clue? Don't they?

maybe the Vajra just like looking stylish? :huh:

6. Will we ever find out what happened to Shin and Sara? The other great mystery couple of the Macross Saga!

after we find out what happened to Misa/hikaru/minmei

7. Forget Zardoz, what the hell is going on in Logans Run??

If you don't get it now, you never will

8. Does the fact that Bobby is gay make him a repugnant character? Is there a place for gay characters in the Macross universe?

:blink: he's gay?!? :blink:

Tommy Yune

10. Is Macross Zero the new Macross 7?

macross 7 is the new macross 7

Ok, lets start discussing.

Taksraven

ok, there's your discussion, now never ask these questions again, EVER. :angry:

:edit: I had no idea there was a quote limit...

Edited by anime52k8

ok, there's your discussion, now never ask these questions again, EVER. :angry:

:edit: I had no idea there was a quote limit...

WhySoSerious.jpg

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

I'm sure this disappearrance story was brought in to the world by angry RT fans who felt the Sentinels story line was better then the Macross continuity :lol:

Lets face it. The story of these characters ends with FB2012. The disappearance story however is something else entirely and has become an urban legend. Posts will pop up from time to time when a new lore interested member joins the board. Much to Azraels regret I'm sure ;)

On "Minmay's Last Message," here's a closed Yahoo! Japan auction of it: http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r50825039 . So its existence isn't suspect, but your acceptance might be. :)

Edited by veffidas

Its all well and good to tell us about what is forbidden and what we shouldn't talk about because I love totalitarianism, but how about a list of topics that are ENCOURAGED for discussion.

How about this.....

I call these my "gut-reaction" answers.

"ménage à trois " and "Orgy" are such an underused words these days.

Your momma.

No. You should seriously get your eyes checked. 750/750 lens aren't strong enough.

Whichever one floats your boat.

Animators had to fill some space on the designs. Haven't you ever seen the iPod, designed by Microsoft?

Same answer to the question "Will we ever find who keeps producing pineapples in Macross?".

Neither. Apple eats 'em both for a midnight snack.