Macross Laser Disks, VHS, DVD

Totoro242

I remember when this first came out, I was very tempting in buying it. Since I was in college at the time and my budget was very limited, I had to settle on the less fancy edition (the standard DVD case) otherwise, I would have spent 6 months eating nothing but ramen noddles and kool aid (for the record, buying the DVD only kept me on this diet for 3 months :lol: )

Do you mean that you got the standard DVD later, or at that time? The reason I ask is that I was under the impression that they were around the same price (about 8000 yen)...

Do you mean that you got the standard DVD later, or at that time? The reason I ask is that I was under the impression that they were around the same price (about 8000 yen)...

I Bought my DVD circa summer 1999 from an online store that had both DVDs

Unfortunately for me, the LD presentation DVD cost twice as much than the standard one. At the time I did not know how to buy from places like yahoo japan or japanese online stores and to be honest with you and I did not learn about the these two options until 2001.

Since i'm done buying the macross chronicles (my last 10 volumes will arrive this monday) now I can focus in buying DYRL remastered (the one with the booklet) and frontier

I Bought my DVD circa summer 1999 from an online store that had both DVDs

Unfortunately for me, the LD presentation DVD cost twice as much than the standard one. At the time I did not know how to buy from places like yahoo japan or japanese online stores and to be honest with you and I did not learn about the these two options until 2001.

Since i'm done buying the macross chronicles (my last 10 volumes will arrive this monday) now I can focus in buying DYRL remastered (the one with the booklet) and frontier

Don`t get your hopes up about remastered DYRL, it looks bright but not necessarily better than the original R2 transfer.

Don`t get your hopes up about remastered DYRL, it looks bright but not necessarily better than the original R2 transfer.

I agree the contrast is much more dynamic on the original, but two things make the "Remaster" better in my opinion:

1) The brightness means you can spot a lot of details. I adore the backgrounds in this movie, and I realize now how much I had missed most of the details in the dark scenes such as when they're trapped in the Macross's engine block.

2) No terrible interlacing. Even in normal scenes, all the animation is compromised, it blurs together in a mess of lines, and in the action scenes, well, forget about it. It really is off-putting for me to the extent that I cannot make it through the entire movie, it's like watching an untuned TV station.

The remaster has its own issues with grain and whatnot, and I was disappointed originally because I was expecting cel-perfect visuals like the Macross 7 discs, but all in all, I think it has definitely improved the viewing experience for me.

Thanks for your detailed notes on that, Renato. I was really curious which I'd need to look for, especially since I'm still watching on a non-BD interlace setup.

Honestly, I haven't found anything more reliable thus far for clarity than my old 1980s Japanese release VHS. A little dark, but no interlace or compression issues... :p

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Akim,

I can definitely post some pics of the MOSPEADA booklet on the thread in question (no scans thou)

This booklet has the most complete, detailed map of the group's travel to what in Robotech is known as Reflex Point.

I remember when this first came out, I was very tempting in buying it. Since I was in college at the time and my budget was very limited, I had to settle on the less fancy edition (the standard DVD case) otherwise, I would have spent 6 months eating nothing but ramen noddles and kool aid (for the record, buying the DVD only kept me on this diet for 3 months :lol: )

Sorry for late answer,

Thanks Waters7 for your answer and your future contribution.

Pics are ok :)

Bests regards.

akim.

• 1 month later...

I just got these two yesterday for free from our Christmas Party with other anime stuff collectors.

I don't really collect LD's but hey I really love Macross 7 so it's really a nice catch for me. I wish I can find the Vol. 2 and 3 too to complete all four volumes for this OVA.

th_macrossdynamite7LD01.jpg th_macrossdynamite7LD04.jpg

• 2 months later...

post-221-127804234713_thumb.jpg

And here's a collection that'll make the Macross Defenders' blood boil. :p

was vol.6 of SO.CROSS as far as the 1990's ROBOTECH LD edition ever got?

I only have a two DVD's of DYRL and a VHS of Flashback 2012.

ken

IMG_3679.jpg

man, i need to get one of those DVD editions of DYRL so i can have a decent case

to put my accurately-subbed bootleg HK all-region DVD-R of the film in.

can anyone help me there?

Edited by Shaorin

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up another DVD to add to the collection. I bought this mainly for FlashBack 2012. And for $25.00 it wasn't a bad deal considering it also has DYRL, Macross II, Macross Plus, Macross Dynamite 7 & Macross Zero.

For me this was a good deal because, with the exception of DYRL and FB2012, I have never seen the other included videos. So far I've watched Macross II and Macross Zero. I didn't think Macross II was anything great while I really enjoyed Zero. I've yet to watch the others.

DYRL and FB2012 both looked good. I was hoping that DYRL was going to be an anamorphic transfer, but alas, it was not to be. Oh well, just have to wait for the bluray.....

IMG_3851.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

just got this set from VF-1x!! thanks, jerry!! ^_^

MACROSSDVDBOOTColle4-9-11.jpg

the darkly colored DVD set is the entire SDFM series, with poor subbing,

made by an "Anime Cartoon"

the "FX" DYRL is an empty case. i picked it up for my DVD-R copy of a very high quality SUB

of the film, also by "Anime Cartoon"

must have been a WAY better subber in their employ handling this...)

the "FX" version of the SDFM T.V. set was an empty case, as well. picked it up because i thought

the box art was to die for... ^_^

JohnsAnimeColle4-09-11.jpg

i think i can now consider my MACROSS Video collection complete.

i would still like to get DVD versions of MAC. II and MAC. PLUS,

and a quality SUB of SDFM, but that aside, i think i can die contently enough... ^_^

Edited by Shaorin

Cool collection of DVDs and VHS stuff. I'll snap a pic of what I have. I have about 8 shelves full of DVDs and a few of VHS tapes. I've run out of space, so I just set it all on top. My Macross collection is pretty complete with all the stuff. My Frontier BD are only partly out, while the later ones are in a box in the closet. I also have a very beautiful tin case to hold the Macross DVDs, and it was made for people of MW a number of years ago. I got one for SDF Macross, and a Macross Plus version. I'll snap a few pics of those tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Cool I have that case too.. but empty... still trying to figure out what would go with it.. the Animeigo one has its one case.. so not sure what it should go with. ..I know I'm going to get heat for putting Robotech in there together but hey.. its valkyrie related.. lol

MacrossDVD.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

In case anyone is interested, my wife recently found these in our closet today. I purchased the set one disc at a time during a road trip to the SD ComiCon back in '92 or so. Brings back great memories.

Mikimoto's artwork is still so stunning. I'm amazed at how good it still looks today.

Discs 3-9 are still unopened and in their original factory wrapping. My basic Japanese just wasn't good enough to understand the original audio. Fortunately, AnimEgo came out with a DVD set some years later.

post-24966-0-64280400-1374908750_thumb.jpg

post-24966-0-14104700-1374908804_thumb.jpg

post-24966-0-98419400-1374908849_thumb.jpg

post-24966-0-11266400-1374908871_thumb.jpg

post-24966-0-08392800-1374908896_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

@ LA2019, I got the same thing, for the same reason. :)

I just put the Flashbacks DVD in a custom case.

xumg.jpg

Top Row
The Protoculture Collection of Robotech

The AnimEigo SDF:Macross. Found Vol. 4-9 at a local comic shop, and 1-3 at
Amazon. (found all this, AFTER I bought my first bootleg set icon_sad.gif )

The First bootleg set. Horrible quality for the subtitles, they would stack ontop of each other when multiple characters were talking, taking up 3/4 of the screen at a time, AND sometimes they would interlace with another character's dialogue. And for the cherry on top of that sundae, one of the episodes was english dubbed only.

Second set of SDF:Macross I bought, not sure if it's a boot or not, the case is actually VERY nice quality. Much better subtitle quality, no stacking. And the subtitles have different colors to indicate when a song is being sung or dialogue is being spoken.

Clash of the Bionoids VHS, the seller also included a burned DVD of the movie, was nice of him.

Bottom Row

DYRL Perfect Edition, came with a soundtrack CD damn I love that movie

Flashbacks, I tracked down a seller in China that was selling this with 3 other Macross movies, all I wanted was Flashbacks. nerd.gif

My DYRL Blu-Ray with a custom cover. heart.gif

Macross Plus OVA

Macross Plus Movie.

Picked up another DVD to add to the collection. I bought this mainly for FlashBack 2012. And for $25.00 it wasn't a bad deal considering it also has DYRL, Macross II, Macross Plus, Macross Dynamite 7 & Macross Zero.For me this was a good deal because, with the exception of DYRL and FB2012, I have never seen the other included videos. So far I've watched Macross II and Macross Zero. I didn't think Macross II was anything great while I really enjoyed Zero. I've yet to watch the others. DYRL and FB2012 both looked good. I was hoping that DYRL was going to be an anamorphic transfer, but alas, it was not to be. Oh well, just have to wait for the bluray.....IMG_3851.jpg

I got one of these for 16$, and the only non-garbage on it was Zero.

Terrible subs, horrible audio, and bad compression. I'd stay clear of it!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All the Macross DVDs I have are second hand from CeX, I loved Plus from the moment it loaded in my DVD player.

And today, I got carried away on a shopping spree of mecha anime (for the first time I got Gundam on DVD) and I found Robotech: The Macross Saga very cheap. The first volume cost £3.00 but can anyone guess how much the second volume cost?

640px-Fortress_Maximus_Macross_DVDs.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Some cool stuff in this thread.

Nice, nice, VHD, the first in home 3D play back machine cool.gif I always meant to pick one up in Japan.

Where did you find your Macross VHDs? Yahoo Japan auctions?

Hey, it's me six years back, before I was banned under that username. I think I got banned that time for preferring the Big West continuity to Kawamori's ridiculous hijack of the franchise. It's funny my toy wants list is still the same but I got a 1/3000 SDF-1 when it came out (price now almost makes me want to sell, naaahh!) and the VF-2SS toy with SAP actually came out!! Gotta get it before I die!

Anyway I was just in Tokyo and found the Macross TV memorial box in a Hard Off for Y2000. Up until now and since about 2000 I've been relying on my Animeigo box sets which are incorrectly coloured. It's good to have a correctly coloured, more authentic version of the original show. Looks great on LD too of course and my Japanese is not bad these days either..

Edited by Forper

• 5 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...