Macross Laser Disks, VHS, DVD

Totoro242

Bah, no VHDs? :p

Actually, I'm curious whether there is a third volume to that two LD set in the top right of the first picture, or were there only two volumes to that release? It's a shame that a some of the art featured on the packaging for the vintage media hasn't found their way into art books.

The Japanese Southern Cross DVD set is pretty expensive and rare (Orguss, too for that matter), so I'd imagine it hasn't found its way into you collection. But I know what you're really missing to from these Robotech-related things - Megazone 23. :lol:

Bah, no VHDs? :p

Not yet, as far as I know only DYRL can be found in this format and since it comes with different cover art (and really cool at that), I'll pick it up eventually :)

Actually, I'm curious whether there is a third volume to that two LD set in the top right of the first picture, or were there only two volumes to that release?

I'm confused, are you talking about the Memorial Box or do you mean top left?

The Japanese Southern Cross DVD set is pretty expensive and rare (Orguss, too for that matter), so I'd imagine it hasn't found its way into you collection. But I know what you're really missing to from these Robotech-related things - Megazone 23. :lol:

Not too rare on YJA :) I'd probably have one by now if I knew if there was some rare line art that would make it worth getting..

I have the Megazone DVD, just didnt put it with these pics :)

Not yet, as far as I know only DYRL can be found in this format and since it comes with different cover art (and really cool at that), I'll pick it up eventually :)

Flash Back 2012 is also on the medium, but doesn't have any fanciful art (link). The DYRL artwork is nice, although I believe it does also appear in one of Mikimoto's art books and one of the Perfect Collection 1 trading cards.

I'm confused, are you talking about the Memorial Box or do you mean top left?

Sorry, I did mean top left. Haven't found much info on them since the Compendium is lacking in regards to the vintage visual media.

Not too rare on YJA :) I'd probably have one by now if I knew if there was some rare line art that would make it worth getting..

They appear from time to time, true; I haven't checked recently, though. Unfortunately, I don't know about the contents.

I have the Megazone DVD, just didnt put it with these pics :)

I'm presuming the ADV Films release, correct?

Totoro242 - You've got Love Live Alive and you haven't made it available for download? How cruel! :o

Seriously, though - I've got one coming from my YahooJP proxy when she sends me my bundle, and I plan on either mastering up a DVD or making an AVI available to share. Its sadly difficult to find.

Its good to see you've got ADV's MOSPEADA brick. That thing is a true treasure.

Totoro242 - You've got Love Live Alive and you haven't made it available for download? How cruel! :o

Seriously, though - I've got one coming from my YahooJP proxy when she sends me my bundle, and I plan on either mastering up a DVD or making an AVI available to share. Its sadly difficult to find.

Its good to see you've got ADV's MOSPEADA brick. That thing is a true treasure.

Actually LLA is in the Japanese Columbia Mospeada box set pictured there (disk # 6) and its way better looking than the VHS. A friend of mine has it right now and he is doing just what you are asking from me :) I should have it in .AVI format shortly.

I don't want to pull out the LDs from the closet so here are some of my DVDs. All are legit Japanese or US releases.

Very nice collection! Rare to find anyone who owns the original Japanese DVD's! Good for you! Was Macross 7 ever released on DVD?

Can you tell us what extras can be found in the gallery on the Southern Cross DVD box set?

Flash Back 2012 is also on the medium, but doesn't have any fanciful art (link). The DYRL artwork is nice, although I believe it does also appear in one of Mikimoto's art books and one of the Perfect Collection 1 trading cards.

I can't remember if its in the Mikimoto book I have, but I do remember it from the trading cards :)

What an excellant idea for a new thread at some point. "Name that HAL image" We can post HAL art and try and track down the original product it was made for :D There are many that are still a mystery to me..

Sorry, I did mean top left. Haven't found much info on them since the Compendium is lacking in regards to the vintage visual media.

I found it. One item of note is that I swear the second LD does not have episode 4 and 27 as it states, but rather lists Pineapple Salad and episode 27.... I'll have to dig them out and let Egan Loo know if I find something different.

The top left LD's in picture 1 correspond to the middle top 2 VHS tapes in picture 3 (well flipped as the LD #2 is pictured first).

Its listed as the following and apparently there is also a third VHD for the Macross Special...

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross I

Macross Special

������v�ǃ}�N���X I

�}�N���X�X�y�V����

Contains episode 1 (Booby Trap) and 2 (Countdown)

Video Tape

47 minutes, color, monoaural

VBG-5 (Beta II)

VTG-5 (VHS)

Victor

1983 November 21 (Beta II)

1983 December 16 (VHS)

Y12381

Y12800 (tax included)

Laser Disc

50 minutes, CAV, color, digital monoaural

BEAL-23

Emotion

1985 April 28

Y8800

Y9538

VHD

47 minutes, color, digital monoaural

BEHD-19

Emotion

1985 July 21

Y8800

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross II

Lynn Minmay Special

������v�ǃ}�N���X II

�����E�~�����C�@�X�y�V����

Contains episode 4 (Lynn Minmay) and 27 (Love Goes Away) and all the previews for these episodes and those in between them

Video Tape

60 minutes, color, monoaural

VTG-6 (VHS)

VBG-6 (Beta II)

Releaser: Bandai, Frontier Division

Distributor: Victor, Emotion label

1983 December 16 (VHS)

1983 December 16 (Beta II)

Y12381

Y12800 (tax included)

Laser Disc

60 minutes, CAV, color, digital monoaural

BEAL-37

Emotion

1985 April 28

Y8800

Y9538

They appear from time to time, true; I haven't checked recently, though. Unfortunately, I don't know about the contents.

Maybe Vifam7 can answer this one :D

I'm presuming the ADV Films release, correct?

Yes. Though I personally no longer consider it a "Robotech related" collectable. I also got rid of my M23 merchandise a while back too :huh:

Very nice collection! Rare to find anyone who owns the original Japanese DVD's! Good for you! Was Macross 7 ever released on DVD?

Yes. In fact a remastered 2-box set was released back in late 2007. You can still buy them from AmazonJapan.

Macross Seven Set 1

Macross Seven Set 2

Can you tell us what extras can be found in the gallery on the Southern Cross DVD box set?

The set was barebones. Nothing in terms of on-disc extras. The box came with a thin booklet that had a bunch of lineart and a commentary by director Yasuo Hasegawa and character design clean up man Hiroyuki Kitazume. That's about it. It was a pretty inexpensive set compared to other Japanese anime DVD sets.

Oooo! Giant Gorg! Any plans to fansub that one? I have been dying to see that one.

I don't have the time, knowledge, or equipment to do fansubbing. Though if anyone wants to fansub this series, I'd willing to helpout on the translation.

It is an excellent series btw. Both story-wise and animation wise. It's noted for Yasuhiko Yoshikazu getting a chance to make a robot anime that he wanted to make (and not what a toy sponsor wanted). This was his baby. Hence he was creator, writer, director, character designer, mech designer, and chief animation director for the series.

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Here's part of my LD collection. I'll get around to posting the rest of them sometime later, but for now, here are some of the more uncommon LD's that I have.

post-221-127656236909_thumb.jpg post-221-127656239821_thumb.jpg

Top row, L-R: Macross Vol. 1: Macross Special, Macross Vol. 2: Lynn Minmay Special, Macross Flashback 2012 (signed by Mari Iijima)

Middle row, L-R: Macross SF Challenge Game, Macross II: Act I (bootleg HK LD)*, Macross Plus International Version Vol. 4**

Bottomw row, L-R: Macross II Box Set, Super Space Fortress Macross (HK Engrish dub)***, Macross: Do You Remember Love***

* Normally, I don't support bootlegs. But bootleg Laserdiscs are extrememly rare due to their high manufacturing costs. That said, bootleg Macross LD's are even rarer! So I had to pick it up :p This disc contains Macross II episodes 1-3. Surprisingly, the picture quality is even better than the official Macross II LD Box Set. :wacko:

** When I picked up Macross Plus International Version Vol. 4 it didn't come with a jacket, which is why it's missing. Nevertheless, I hadnt seen this disc before, so I grabbed it. Just for the sake of confirmation, I posted a close-up of the label.

*** Surprise! These aren't LD's, they're actually VHD's. But since there's no thread for VHD's, I decided to chuck them here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

** When I picked up Macross Plus International Version Vol. 4 it didn't come with a jacket, which is why it's missing. Nevertheless, I hadnt seen this disc before, so I grabbed it. Just for the sake of confirmation, I posted a close-up of the label.

Wait... what the hell. That thing is not even supposed to exist!! :o

Do you have a VHD deck to play it on? I want to know if it's the Manga dub or the other one with David Hayter on it (since the latter is the one they use on the Japanese DVD release).

Also, great collections, everyone. Very nice stuff, in particular the iscs on the top left of the pic posted by Totoro242. :)

Here is my MAcross LD Collection

Very impressive! You have almost everything I know of except maybe that Macross LD game and the second Memorial box set (but of course you have all the individual disks from that set).

What other vintage stuff do you collect? Posters, LP's, cards?

Very impressive! You have almost everything I know of except maybe that Macross LD game and the second Memorial box set (but of course you have all the individual disks from that set).

What other vintage stuff do you collect? Posters, LP's, cards?

I also collect VHS.

I will be taking some pictures of them some time these week and i'll make sure to post them here.

About the LDs, I'm only missing the Challenge Game and the 15 anniversary Memorial Box but for the longest time, I thought that I was also missing the Mecha Griffiti special on LD but I just confirmed that it does not exist.

I also collect VHS.

I will be taking some pictures of them some time these week and i'll make sure to post them here.

About the LDs, I'm only missing the Challenge Game and the 15 anniversary Memorial Box but for the longest time, I thought that I was also missing the Mecha Griffiti special on LD but I just confirmed that it does not exist.

Wonderful collection Waters7!!

You've got Mospeada and Southern Cross LD boxsets!!

May i ask you something?

I really like if you could post some pics and why not the entire Mospeada booklet here in Mospeada thread and if it's possible, same thing for Southern cross.

It'll be great and the topic will be alive !!

Thanks!

akim.

Wait... what the hell. That thing is not even supposed to exist!! :o

Do you have a VHD deck to play it on? I want to know if it's the Manga dub or the other one with David Hayter on it (since the latter is the one they use on the Japanese DVD release).

Hehe, that's what I said the first time I saw that LD. And yes, it's the David Hayter dub.

Unfortunately I don't have a VHD deck. It's hard to find reliable information on them, which makes it hard to decide on which to buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, look what I found in a shop this afternoon!

It's the first pressing of DYRL on DVD, circa 1998. It comes packaged in a record/laserdisc sized box, with an enormous poster. I have never, ever seen this item before, and I knew I had to have it. :)

post-1318-128489649519_thumb.jpg

post-1318-128489649596_thumb.jpg

post-1318-12848964968_thumb.jpg

nice, I remember I was in Tokyo when that came out and I think there were two versions, collectors that you have and standard? I didnt even have a DVD player back then..

Well, the standard edition was in print for many years, like a decade until it got replaced by the "HD Remaster" edition recently (of which I also have the collector's edition with the storyboard and lineart collection). Thank god for that, because to be honest, I hated DYRL on DVD up until that point. I would go as far as calling the movie unwatchable due to the horrible interlacing. The new remastered version is like seeing the movie properly for the first time.

(of which I also have the collector's edition with the storyboard and lineart collection).

I have that one too. The amount of previously unseen detail you can see in the remaster is incredible but the black is horribly grainy, according to a lot on MW that could have been fixed too if the remaster team knew what they were doing? I still go back to my fx copy just because of the blacks. Anyway the HD remaster set is worth it just for the extras alone imo, repro Skylark giveaways? Compiled Saturn animation?! Coooool!

Wonderful collection Waters7!!

You've got Mospeada and Southern Cross LD boxsets!!

May i ask you something?

I really like if you could post some pics and why not the entire Mospeada booklet here in Mospeada thread and if it's possible, same thing for Southern cross.

It'll be great and the topic will be alive !!

Thanks!

akim.

Hi Akim,

I can definitely post some pics of the MOSPEADA booklet on the thread in question (no scans thou)

This booklet has the most complete, detailed map of the group's travel to what in Robotech is known as Reflex Point.

Hey, look what I found in a shop this afternoon!

It's the first pressing of DYRL on DVD, circa 1998. It comes packaged in a record/laserdisc sized box, with an enormous poster. I have never, ever seen this item before, and I knew I had to have it. :)

I remember when this first came out, I was very tempting in buying it. Since I was in college at the time and my budget was very limited, I had to settle on the less fancy edition (the standard DVD case) otherwise, I would have spent 6 months eating nothing but ramen noddles and kool aid (for the record, buying the DVD only kept me on this diet for 3 months :lol: )