Height of the Zentradi

Mr March

A discussion in the Macross Frontier News thread lead to a talk about Zentradi scale, which should probably have it's own thread...

I don't just mean scaling against mecha, but also scaling against humans, which happened in SDFM, in limited cases in Macross 7(movie, Dynamite, and also somewhere in Encore and the Plus segments), and also on multiple occasions in Frontier. If Zentradi:human is 5:1, one would expect a human next to a Zentradi to look significantly though not enormously larger than an 10-12" 1:6 doll like a Barbie or original format GI Joe next to a human. At 1:5 scale a human on a Zentradi's shoulder would stand higher than the Zentradi's head, one in a hand would be nearly twice as long as said hand and at least three times that hand's width, and one on the ground would not be as tall as the Zentradi's kneecap(heeled shoes excluded), but could likely reach up and touch its bottom. On the contrary, animation from at least the later part of SDFM, as you say, and the subsequent TV series in addition, have made the human look smaller than that. At a guess I'd say that animation more commonly shows a scale factor of 7 or 8, however inaccurate it might be to official numbers.

I understand what you're saying but the 5:1 ratio is only a vague guide and many of the size sketches by Kawamori and Miyatake don't even follow the 5:1 ratio to begin with. Further, the anime seems to favor a 6:1 ratio, as shown in the Macross 7 prologue (see attached picture).

As luck would have it, I'm actually doing some work on a Zentradi/Meltrandi analysis page for the Macross Mecha Manual and I've scanned a bunch of the Zentradi character line art to be used for a size chart. I'm still in the middle of coloring it all, so I'll be using black and white art for this topic. The average human varies from 1.5 to 1.8 meters in height (5 to 6 feet in height), so if we followed the 5:1 ratio in the strictest sense, the average Zentradi would be between 7.5 to 9 meters tall (approximately 25 to 30 feet tall). So the 5:1 ratio doesn't quite work for the 10 meter figure that they seem to like.

I also think a lot of those vast size differences between a human and a Zentradi are done on purpose to achieve dramatic effect and are not meant to be taken literally. You'll also note it's the larger Zentradi (Britai, Bodolzaa, Kamjin) who are most often shown clutching humans in their hands.

At any rate, I made up a rough chart showing the comparative sizes of the various Zentradi using the 10 meter rule for the typical Zentran Soldier. I've attached it below.

post-114-1231212022_thumb.jpg

post-114-1231212035_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr March

Here's my observation:

Random Zentraedi soldier Hikaru had at gunpoint when he was in the warship (The explosions that went by during the Daedelus attack killed him) was the same height (Almost exactly) as his 1J. If this is the case, Zentraedi favor a 12-13 meter height mark. This places them at the 45-foot mark, right next to the VF-1, which is what they were going for, right? Moving from there, Exedor seems to be a short Zent, who would probably fit at the 5:1 mark with a human. On the same token, Britai and Bodolza were larger, more at a 55-60 foot mark...

In other words: a few inches on a human is a few meters on a zentraedi...

Oh, you just reminded me of something. I should probably show you all how I arrived at 12-12.5 meters for Klan Klang. Well, I just extrapolated her height based upon what she looked liked in the scene between her and Mikhail's VF-25G Battroid. Klan stands roughly a head or more below the VF-25G Battroid, which is 15.59 meters tall (including the head cannon). Using the VF-25G for comparison, she's about 12-12.5 meters.

A way to double check this is to use the Super Klan line art (thanks go out to Graham for the scans) to scale the Super Pack boosters to the same size as the VF-25G Super Pack boosters. I've sized Super Klan so her boosters are sized at a compromise between the boosters as they appear on the front and rear views of VF-25G Super Battroid. The 3D perspective of the VF-25G Battroid throws off the true size of the boosters, so a little guesswork is in order. But once you do...voila! Klan appears accurate at 12 or 12.5 meters tall in both cases. It's about the best I can do for now.

post-114-1231215562_thumb.jpg

Here's my observation:

Random Zentraedi soldier Hikaru had at gunpoint when he was in the warship (The explosions that went by during the Daedelus attack killed him) was the same height (Almost exactly) as his 1J. If this is the case, Zentraedi favor a 12-13 meter height mark. This places them at the 45-foot mark, right next to the VF-1, which is what they were going for, right? Moving from there, Exedor seems to be a short Zent, who would probably fit at the 5:1 mark with a human. On the same token, Britai and Bodolza were larger, more at a 55-60 foot mark...

In other words: a few inches on a human is a few meters on a zentraedi...

He isn't. The Zentradi soldier is shown smaller than Hikaru's Battroid, even in the eye-line shot.

Using just one example of scale isn't enough. There has to be some kind of happy medium and consideration for the official numbers to make it all work. Why? Well because Britai is 13 meters tall and if all the other Zentradi are as tall, he couldn't be taller than the others (which he is, as shown in the anime). So why not just up Britai's height and accept 12-13 meter tall Zentran Grunts? Several reasons. One, it throws out the scale of the VF-1 Battroid, two, all Zentradi mecha sizes are thrown out as well, three, all the Kawamori and Miyatake size charts become bogus as well and lastly, the proper scale shown in DYRL? is then superseded by the SDFM episodes drawn by STAR PRO. :(

Besides, no Zentradi 12-13 meter tall is going to fit inside a 15 meter tall Reguld Battle Pod. I'm going to assume creative license for Zentradi height rather than assume the mecha are in error, since the mecha numbers are much more plentiful and more accurate. I'd also rather accept Britai's 13 meter height as correct since the fight between him and Hikaru is one of the scale benchmarks of the series.

Exedol might be the smallest Zentradi, but Warera Nantes was also small. If I had to guess, I'd say they were both around 8 meters tall.

Edited by Mr March

It'd add to the irony of Klan's "genetic defect" if she's an Amazon among Meltrandi when macronized. That's my theory.

Nene appears to be markedly taller than her in macronized form. On the other hand, Nene appears to be pretty huge micronized too, so that doesn't rule out Klan being above average.

Okay Mr March here's a take on it. From looking at your chart there seems to be a increase in height as the 'rank' of the Zentradi goes up so given that they were clones to start with maybe the height was a way to single out the command Zentradi and other such things. So taking the fact that the Zentradi are using the old school way of upping their numbers now and the wide range of height in the gene pool we could look at Klan and guess that maybe she comes from a 'command' background. Also this may answer the reason of her odd genes, if one parent was along the lines of say Britai's level and the other was maybe a grunt then one gen could be dominant in her macro form and the same gen is recessive in her micro form.

note - genetics is NOT my normal playground so this is just a rough idea, if it's stupid, wrong or anything like that - well sorry 'bout that.

And I also have little idea on what's been given as fact for the Zentradi so if anyone's got some background info that would be great.

Okay Mr March here's a take on it. From looking at your chart there seems to be a increase in height as the 'rank' of the Zentradi goes up so given that they were clones to start with maybe the height was a way to single out the command Zentradi and other such things. So taking the fact that the Zentradi are using the old school way of upping their numbers now and the wide range of height in the gene pool we could look at Klan and guess that maybe she comes from a 'command' background. Also this may answer the reason of her odd genes, if one parent was along the lines of say Britai's level and the other was maybe a grunt then one gen could be dominant in her macro form and the same gen is recessive in her micro form.

note - genetics is NOT my normal playground so this is just a rough idea, if it's stupid, wrong or anything like that - well sorry 'bout that.

I don't think the micloning chambers are familiar with genetics either, so you're probably safe.

It's as good an answer as any, and it's actually one I like a lot.

Particularly as a first-gen zentradi shouldn't have any (active) genetic defects, owing to their scientifically-engineered genome. So these problems will ONLY show up in the 2nd generation.

If you want to get a bit more "out there"... it's even possible that the protoculture laid dormant "land-mine" defects ALL OVER the zentradi genome in case a group of "cultured" zentradi rose up against their masters.

But that's not extremely likely, since they DO have functioning reproductive systems. And Macross 7 implies they were intended to be assimilated at some point in the future(though the Mac7 ruins could've been set up by a fringe group, or just reflect a major ideological shift that happened after the deployment of the zentradi).

Honestly, I'd LOVE to know more about the protoculture and zentradi. There's so much unexplored territory there.

I think your pretty safe with the 1:5 scale. Not sure if the variance in human sizes can be aplied to the Zentradi as a rule. Their variance in sizes may simply be larger. Command Zentradi seem to be genetically and or cybernetically enhanced. These enhancements might allow much larger body sizes then the average zentradi. Afaik no command Zentradi ever sets foot in a battle pod. Quamzin uses a Glaug which may have larger cockpits to accomodate command zentradi? Anyway just musing there.

But that's not extremely likely, since they DO have functioning reproductive systems.

Interesting point, and it begs the question: would that system work in Macronized form? To expand on this: A macronized Zentradi would need a much higher body density then a human otherwise its body would simply collaps under its own weight under normal gravity. This could mean that the anatomy of a Zentradi would be completly different in Macronised form compared to their micronised shapes.

An average zentradi would weigh around 9000kg if the density is the same. But suppose this is also increased with a factor 5 (would mean that Zetradi macronised bodies can't be made up of water). Then a Zentradi would weigh around 45000kg. The implications for mecha performance would be interesting.

I think your pretty safe with the 1:5 scale. Not sure if the variance in human sizes can be aplied to the Zentradi as a rule. Their variance in sizes may simply be larger. Command Zentradi seem to be genetically and or cybernetically enhanced. These enhancements might allow much larger body sizes then the average zentradi. Afaik no command Zentradi ever sets foot in a battle pod. Quamzin uses a Glaug which may have larger cockpits to accomodate command zentradi? Anyway just musing there.

Interesting point, and it begs the question: would that system work in Macronized form? To expand on this: A macronized Zentradi would need a much higher body density then a human otherwise its body would simply collaps under its own weight under normal gravity. This could mean that the anatomy of a Zentradi would be completly different in Macronised form compared to their micronised shapes.

An average zentradi would weigh around 9000kg if the density is the same. But suppose this is also increased with a factor 5 (would mean that Zetradi macronised bodies can't be made up of water). Then a Zentradi would weigh around 45000kg. The implications for mecha performance would be interesting.

My metric math conversion is bad... My math is bad in particular lol. What are those in pounds?

My metric math conversion is bad... My math is bad in particular lol. What are those in pounds?

1kg is about 2.12 lbs. 8) So that's about 100,000 lbs. I don't know how many stones though. Got to google it. ^_^

BTW, that means the galactic whale hunter Zentraedi in Macross7 Dynamite will be about Ultraman size too I suppose. :unsure:

hobbes and JBO

I think that's one way to rationalize Klan's height (she's simply a commander type descendant) or simply accept that Klan is drawn bigger than she should be for creative/dramatic purposes. After all, a lovers quarrel between Klan and Mikhail's VF-25G Battroid isn't going to work if Klan is scaled at the Milia's 8.55 meter height the way she should be (she'd look like a midget in comparison to the VF-25G). Especially when the animators are trying to sell the idea that Klan is a large adult when a full-sized Meltrandi but only child-sized as a miclone. I can see why the animators made her larger :)

But digressing, there's no real solution that works. Klan just has to be accepted as a "dynamic scale oddity." Why? Because the problem that arises when the mecha are brought into the equation. At 12 to 12.5 meters tall, poor Klan is simply way too large for her Queadluun-Rea to accommodate her, a problem that Kamjin also suffers with his official height of 11.85 meters, which leads us into...

Bri

Kamjin and his Glaug is a problem. At 11.85 meters in height, Kamjin is simply too large to fit inside his own Glaug, which is only 16.55 meters tall (NOT including the cannon). The way the line art shows the pilot situated inside the Glaug cockpit, it could at best accommodate a 10 meter tall Zentradi. Kamjin is one of the first scale problems when measuring the Zentraid. Much like Klan, we just have to accept that he'll be sized differently on the fly without any concern for continuity.

Bri

Kamjin and his Glaug is a problem. At 11.85 meters in height, Kamjin is simply too large to fit inside his own Glaug, which is only 16.55 meters tall (NOT including the cannon). The way the line art shows the pilot situated inside the Glaug cockpit, it could at best accommodate a 10 meter tall Zentradi. Kamjin is one of the first scale problems when measuring the Zentraid. Much like Klan, we just have to accept that he'll be sized differently on the fly without any concern for continuity.

It's not just Kamjin really. One of the best scenes imo is the resque of Misa, Hikaru, Max and Kakazaki in their captured battle pod. That scene (episode 12 at 22min55) shows 3 VF1s pushing it home. The VF-1s are roughly half the size of a Regult, Putting the Regult at roughly 25 meter tall. (Assuming a VF-1 batroid has a hight of 12-13 meter)

Same in later episode 35. Where Zentradi are slightly smaller then the VF-1s they are fighting. Laplamiz and Kamjin are riding a Glaug and a Monster. Laplamizs body is just as tall as the cockpit of the Glaug which in turn is a bit taller then the Regults but slightly shorter then a Monster.

Some can be explained by animators switching sizes a bit for dramatic purposes, but my impression is that the Zentradi mecha as portrayed in SDFM is larger then offical numbers suggest.

Edited for spelling and clarity.

Edited by Bri

But a 12-meter Zentraedi could fit, sitting down... How would you explan why they aren't 25 feet tall? That's HALF of a VF-1, which is the smallest of the VFs. (Don't count any special variants that could disprove that. The MAXL is still a VF-11...)

I just remembered that episode... Those monsters were a bit small... Lap Lamiz was a bit big... So, what does that do to not further confuse me? Negatively act. That's what... Why'dja have to confuse me? :p

I don't consider the Glaug to be much of an issue, since it has an elongated cockpit, meaning the seat can be lower to the floor, pushing his legs futher into the "nose" of the walker, and his torso futher back, into the taller section. It's possible, though I've never cared much for Kamjin...

It's not just Kamjin really. One of the best scenes imo is the resque of Misa, Hikaru, Max and Kakazaki in their captured battle pod. That scene (episode 12 at 22min55) shows 3 VF1s pushing it home. The VF-1s are roughly half the size of a Regult, Putting the Regult at roughly 25 meter tall. (Assuming a VF-1 batroid has a hight of 12-13 meter)

Let's not forget Max mugging a zentradi grunt in the restroom and stealing his clothes.

Unless he jumped a VERY TALL zentradi, which implies they were a commander.

And if THAT'S the case, he did with one kick what Hikaru couldn't do period.

Same in later episode 35. Where Zentradi are slightly smaller then the VF-1s they are fighting. Laplamiz and Kamjin are riding a Glaug and a Monster. Laplamizs body is just as tall as the cockpit of the Glaug which in turn is a bit taller then the Regults but slightly shorter then a Monster.

That was the Chicken Leg of Doom and "YF-1R" episode, right? Not to mention the cigarette-lighter gunpod.

Isn't that one generally considered a blooperfest?

(Personally, error or not, I think the 3-laser VF-1A head looks good. As animation errors go, it's not half-bad.)

Some can be explained by animators switching sizes a bit for dramatic purposes...

And bloopers!

... but my impression is that the Zentradi mecha as portrayed in SDFM is larger then offical numbers suggest.

Yeah. Even with official pilot heights, the Reguld is pretty cramped.

Scale floats. And it makes me sad.

Bri

Yet Kamjin's Glaug is shown in accurate 16.55 meter scale to scale with Hikaru's 12.68 meter VF-1J Battroid in Episode 8. The two mecha even rip off the arm of the other, which matches at their official heights. Yet the Glaug is actually larger than a Reguld, so episode 12 shows the VF-1J incorrectly. See, it's all about taking in each example and coming up with a happy medium. Which is why the stats make the most sense. When in doubt, they come in handy as steady benchmark.

Kamjin and Klan are definitely the two big scale problems for the Zentradi. Everyone else can be explained with a bit of variable scale and dramatic effect, but those two are nothing but a problem when comparing size. A 10 meter tall Zentradi could fit into the Glaug with a very snug fit, but not a 12 meter tall Kamjin. With Klan, there's no way she's fitting her Super Dimension...assets...into a Queadluun-Rea, UNLESS the Q-Rea is far larger than a Q-Rau (but that doesn't seem the case, given that Alto's VF-25F Battroid appeared almost as tall as Klan's Q-Rea when they double-teamed the Red Vajra)

Anyway, I've attached a few more goodies.

Digressing, as JBO has said, the only REAL explanation is that scale floats. A Zentradi size comparison chart makes a good baseline, but it's clear the animators will adjust the Zentradi size as needed, much like Kawamori with continuity :):lol:

But a 12-meter Zentraedi could fit, sitting down... How would you explan why they aren't 25 feet tall? That's HALF of a VF-1, which is the smallest of the VFs. (Don't count any special variants that could disprove that. The MAXL is still a VF-11...)

I just remembered that episode... Those monsters were a bit small... Lap Lamiz was a bit big... So, what does that do to not further confuse me? Negatively act. That's what... Why'dja have to confuse me? :p

I don't consider the Glaug to be much of an issue, since it has an elongated cockpit, meaning the seat can be lower to the floor, pushing his legs futher into the "nose" of the walker, and his torso futher back, into the taller section. It's possible, though I've never cared much for Kamjin...

Personally, I think that's a stretch. Even a 10 meter Zentradi is packing it in really close in the Glaug, with no room to wiggle. Kamjin? He's way too big. Though perhaps he uses a micloning chamber prior to every fight :)

post-114-1231299242_thumb.gif

post-114-1231299248_thumb.gif

post-114-1231299258_thumb.gif

post-114-1231299293_thumb.gif

Edited by Mr March

The scale chart of Klan and her Q-rea is just not right. How the hell she could fit herself inside it with those massive thingy. I can assume the leg is stored backward into the thruster not to the leg socket of the Q-Rea.

The scale chart of Klan and her Q-rea is just not right. How the hell she could fit herself inside it with those massive thingy. I can assume the leg is stored backward into the thruster not to the leg socket of the Q-Rea.

Uh, that's the point my good man. Klan is a scale problem. There's no way she can fit inside her Q-Rea. Like I said, her and Kamjin are definitely funky when it comes to height :)

Uh, that's the point my good man. Klan is a scale problem. There's no way she can fit inside her Q-Rea. Like I said, her and Kamjin are definitely funky when it comes to height :)

Maybe SchizophrenicMC is right, Klan somehow managed to deform her body to fit inside the Q-rea.

And suddenly I got an image of Klan piloting the Q-rea, with her macronized head and loli-Klan body.......

As many have implied, and as much as I applaud the effort and thought that went into this thread, I think figuring out Zentradi scale based on the rather haphazard animation of SDFM is an exercise doomed to failure.

In other words, let's forget all about this and start another "Which girl will Alto end up with?" discussion. :p

Bri

Yet Kamjin's Glaug is shown in accurate 16.55 meter scale to scale with Hikaru's 12.68 meter VF-1J Battroid in Episode 8. The two mecha even rip off the arm of the other, which matches at their official heights. Yet the Glaug is actually larger than a Reguld, so episode 12 shows the VF-1J incorrectly. See, it's all about taking in each example and coming up with a happy medium. Which is why the stats make the most sense. When in doubt, they come in handy as steady benchmark.

It's also my take that one has to assume a happy medium, but it seems to me that the given numbers for Regulds and Q-Raus that only work with the smallest size references for Zentradi, much like the Ultraman-sized Exedol and flashback Veffidas in 7, represent the extremes from which the medium must be derived, rather than the medium itself.

For another approach, Max's VF-1 fitting handily in a random Zentradi's uniform was not only onscreen, but plot-important in a way that exactly by how many meters Kamjin's Glaug towered over Hikaru's VF1J, or exactly how much Minmay sticks out from either side of Kamjin's hand, wasn't. I'd give first weight to something like that, and assume that any numbers or "style" animations that would make that act, or similar ones where scale served a strong plot purpose, impossible must be mistaken. Mind, this still leaves a lot of things open.

As many have implied, and as much as I applaud the effort and thought that went into this thread, I think figuring out Zentradi scale based on the rather haphazard animation of SDFM is an exercise doomed to failure.

In other words, let's forget all about this and start another "Which girl will Alto end up with?" discussion. :p

But we love discussing real physics in anime and slaughtering catgirls at the same time :mellow:

Maybe SchizophrenicMC is right, Klan somehow managed to deform her body to fit inside the Q-rea.

And suddenly I got an image of Klan piloting the Q-rea, with her macronized head and loli-Klan body.......

I got an image of Klan putting the best yoga masters in the world to shame.

I like my image better. MUCH better.

For another approach, Max's VF-1 fitting handily in a random Zentradi's uniform was not only onscreen, but plot-important in a way that exactly by how many meters Kamjin's Glaug towered over Hikaru's VF1J, or exactly how much Minmay sticks out from either side of Kamjin's hand, wasn't. I'd give first weight to something like that, and assume that any numbers or "style" animations that would make that act, or similar ones where scale served a strong plot purpose, impossible must be mistaken. Mind, this still leaves a lot of things open.

How plot important was it? It didn't work very long at all.

And even if it DID fit, it wasn't a very believable costume. The upturned collar automatically drew suspicion, and as soon as someone tried to make eye contact(or looked down at the feet), the gig was up.

How plot important was it? It didn't work very long at all.

And even if it DID fit, it wasn't a very believable costume. The upturned collar automatically drew suspicion, and as soon as someone tried to make eye contact(or looked down at the feet), the gig was up.

It didn't work long, it didn't work well, but it was clearly physically possible and seen by Max as better than nothing. In many scenes, the size of a looming Zentradi relative to a human or other item of known size can easily be argued as a stylistic choice made for dramatic effect, not to be taken as perfectly to scale. On the other hand, while Max stealing an enemy uniform in his mecha was clearly done partly for comedic effect, it wasn't quite to the point of a slapstick, pull-a-hammer-from-nowhere sight gag either. It was a concrete and scripted element that would have worked differently if the scale was greatly different, and as such it should be assumed to be physically plausible that a common Zentradi and a VF-1 battroid might be of similar size. My main point published numbers or onscreen size comparisons that don't directly affect story events are of lesser weight to those that do, especially when they would render scripted events improbable or impossible.

I re-watched episode 4. She was definitely sitting (albeit cramped) in main body of the Q-rau. Meaning her legs aren't stored backward into the thruster like Miriya in the yamato figure.

Hmmm, I think you're getting a little flustered about the Zentradi sizes, but it's not that big a deal. The only true problems with the Zentradi size is Kamjin and Klan. All the other Zentradi work within an acceptable margin of error. Milia is arguably the most important Zentradi and she's depicted consistently throughout the series. The Zentradi soldiers are scaled more or less correct at 10 meters (episode 2, episode 10, DYRL, Macross 7), with a few glaring exceptions (episode 32).

Besides, the exercise is it's own reward. Think of the analysis of the Zentradi sizes as FAQ material, something we can refer back to when someone posts a newbie question on Macross :)

It's also my take that one has to assume a happy medium, but it seems to me that the given numbers for Regulds and Q-Raus that only work with the smallest size references for Zentradi, much like the Ultraman-sized Exedol and flashback Veffidas in 7, represent the extremes from which the medium must be derived, rather than the medium itself.

I don't think that's the case at all. The happy medium is fine for most cases. The 10 meter Zentradi figure is acceptable for the N-Ger/Reguld, Britai is fine at 13.5 and Milia at 8.5 works perfectly with her Q-Rau. Like I said above, the only real Zentradi size problems are regarding Kamjin and Klan, but everyone else is more or less correct. Instances like Max's VF-1A disguise can easily be rationalized as encountering a Kamjin-type or commander-type (Britai) Zentradi or simply a larger Zentradi, since these are only averages we're talking about. And as the three spies show, the Zentradi are just as varied in height as humans are.

We can also just accept instances of size discrepancy as creative license and the official heights as a baseline only, which is really the best answer. Someone asks; "How tall is a Zentradi?" we can give an answer of roughly 10 meters or approximately 5:1 ratio (small variations understood). If they then say; "Well what about this episode or this character?" that can be dealt with on an individual basis with few problems. It's only a guide after all and if that's good enough for the animators, it good enough for me :)