Getting back to the unloved Southern Cross...

Has anyone ever mentioned how most of the background music sounds like 80s pop music? There's one track that sounds like George Michael's Faith, another that's really reminiscent of Synchronicity II, etc. Watch a random episode, you'll hear these tracks two or three times every episode.

I'd say there's probably at least much apathy directed towards Galvion or Yamato 2520 than there is towards Southern Cross.

Hell, I've just typed the word "Galvion" more times in the last minute or so than anyone else has since the creation of the internet.

And I'll do it again: "Galvion."

Mentioned three times in one post...that's gotta be a world record.

You make it sound like you are saying "NI"! :lol: :lol:

Taksraven

After the "LONELY CHAAASEEAAAAHHHH!" theme it really goes downhill. The animation is incredibly lousy and most of the the episodes tell standalone tales rather than a continuous story (Southern Cross gets points for this). Like Dorvack, It feels a lot like watching MASK.

Fair enough then, although I liked MASK at the time :p (Saw it again a few years ago - there are some things that are better left as a fond memory alright).

I actually liked Soutern Cross, although it was the weakest of the three Robotech sagas. It had a darker more gritty tone without an upbeat ending.

If BW has merchandising rights then that would explains HGs preferance fot using Mospeada only for their current projects I guess. Can't be much love between those two.

Well the point is, since Southern Cross is a Tatsunoko show unencumbered by any Studio Nue jazz that was made in house by Tatsunoko staff and they have the rights, there's no dispute with HG at all, and either Tatsunoko or Harmony Gold is welcome to make a sequel to Southern Cross, they just aren't going to because it is not popular enough to warrant such a thing.

The info about Big West purchasing the Japanese merchandising rights from Tatsunoko came from Tom Bateman and/or Tommy Yune, a couple of years ago.

This is speculation, but the only reason I can think of is that it was done as a "cock block" by Big West.

In the past, Toynami has sold things like their Super Poseable Alphas and Masterpiece Alphas (MOSPEADA-based designs) to companies in Japan who obtained a license from Tatsunoko to sell them there. Ideally Toynami would want to keep doing this, because the more toys you make, the less you pay to make each one.

Let's say Toynami decided to make Southern Cross toys. Now if a Japanese company wanted to sell them there, they'd have to get a license from Big West. And how willing do you think they'd be to grant a license that would make more profit for a Harmony Gold licensee?

(That's a rhetorical question. I think they wouldn't be too willing, but again, I'm speculating.)

I don't blame Tatsunoko for selling the rights. It was probably more money than they expected to make off of granting the license fees themselves, which is zero, because there is NO LOVE for Southern Cross.

NO LOVE.

462x393-r0092827.jpg

I love the way that the robes STOP when they hit the shoulders, then continue with the wrists. GRATE design. (And yes, I mean GRATE).

One design from the series that I really did like was for the guards/sentries/troopers aboard the Zor motherships. Unique and quite cool. Anybody got a piccie of them?

Taksraven

image003.jpg

I thought that the designs for the human armour were ok too, based on samurai armour, esp the helmets. Its a pity that these designs were not used more in the series.

Taksraven

Tatsunoko has the rights to license the animation, but Big West purchased the merchandising rights from them a while back.

Yep Roger is correct. What little SC merchandise I've seen in Japan has all had Big West copyright. Found some old stickers and the outside package had the silver foil Big West license sticker on it. I also saw a SC logo T-shirt that I think came out about the time SC was released on DVD and that too had Big West copyright below the SC logo.

Roger, look the topic name, it says "looking for southern cross fans".

What is this, the personals section?

The topic title asks if there's no love for Southern Cross. I confess that I never really felt love for Southern Cross. I liked her, I had fun with her, if I didn't I wouldn't have dated her for four months, but I never had a mental image of me and Southern Cross sharing a future together. Once I finally figured out what was missing, I understood why.

What made it worse was that Southern Cross was apparently nuts about me. Eventually I had to tell Southern Cross that I really didn't feel about her the way she did about me. That didn't go over too well. Haven't heard from her since then, and honestly I think that's for the best.

If there was love for Southern Cross, you wouldn't see auctions like this lot of five vintage model kits for around $5:

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/120757215

If there was love for Southern Cross, you'd see CM's Corporation make a Spartas before they made a Calibur.

If there was love for Southern cross, you wouldn't see threads on BBSes asking, "No love for Southern Cross?"

A thread title like "Calling all Southern Cross fans, come chat" or something along those lines might have sounded daft but it may have been more effective in just dragging in true "fans" and would have given you more basis for chasing out the anti crowd.

I always thought it was more of a thread to discuss and criticise the show.

Taksraven

• 3 weeks later...
You people want love, here's some love:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/buried-tre.../southern-cross

Thats an impressive review. I never really hated Southern Cross, but never loved it, I think I'll watch it again, its only been like 8 years since I last did.

But as its been said before AND RIDICULED TOO, A shame there was never a sequel or a true ending, I'll bet modern day Anime artists would make this series awesome.

And the bashing to this comment begins in 3,2,1.....

A little note about the review though, it's not out of print. I saw Mospeada and Southern Cross released together by ADV as a collection months ago. Somewhat demeaning to Southern Cross since Macross was also re-released as a collection by itself.

Somewhat demeaning to MOSPEADA...

A little note about the review though, it's not out of print. I saw Mospeada and Southern Cross released together by ADV as a collection months ago. Somewhat demeaning to Southern Cross since Macross was also re-released as a collection by itself.

I bought and watched those DVDs, which is why I started this thread. ^_^ It's old school anime. And those ADV dvds were the 1st time I watched the entire series (for both). When it was shown on TV way back in the 80s, I missed episodes because of school curfew (no TV unless you finished your homework...) I never saw the final few episodes for both series back then. So it's a 'Mission Accomplished. I can finally move on' feeling for me when I finished watching them 2 decades later. :lol:

Next stops: Gatchaman season 2 and 3, Yamato, Captain Future, Nadia.

Edited by blacklotus

I bought and watched those DVDs, which is why I started this thread. ^_^ It's old school anime. And those ADV dvds were the 1st time I watched the entire series (for both). When it was shown on TV way back in the 80s, I missed episodes because of school curfew (no TV unless you finished your homework...) I never saw the final few episodes for both series back then. So it's a 'Mission Accomplished. I can finally move on' feeling for me when I finished watching them 2 decades later. :lol:

That's how I felt when I finished reading all of "Area 88." It was like the thirteen-year-old boy I used to be had been living inside me, holding his breath all that time, and finally got to exhale. ^_^

I still haven't seen any original Southern Cross besides the old Robotech Perfect Collection versions, but it's on my list.

I'm kinda sad that Southern Cross is not much loved by anyone from both sides of the Pacific ocean. Anyone has any idea if this TV series is a big flop in Japan when it was originally released?

snip.....

Speaking of Southern Cross......... http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/buried-tre.../southern-cross

Looks like someone at Anime News Network has been regularly lurking at MW. :lol:

Anyways its sad really that I myself only know Southern Cross as the Masters section of Robotech. :( I should really make an effort to watch it. :(