So at this point which company involved in or having the rights to Southern Cross have the best chance of bringing it back in some form in the future?

If you know an eccentric billionaire who would be willing to donate 10~20 million to Big West to create a sequel, that's probably your only chance.

If you know an eccentric billionaire who would be willing to donate 10~20 million to Big West to create a sequel, that's probably your only chance.

And even bribing them with that much money you would probably STILL have to make them do it at gunpoint.

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

If they adapt the show for a Robotech Live Action II it has a chance. They just have to redesign the mechas, get some cool actors and more dynamism to the scripts

For that to to happen, the 1st Live Robotech movie has to be a success. Though I grew up with Robotech as a kid & loved it, I'm not holding my breath on these films yet... But only time will tell.

For that to to happen, the 1st Live Robotech movie has to be a success. Though I grew up with Robotech as a kid & loved it, I'm not holding my breath on these films yet... But only time will tell.

Agreed on all counts. What Robotech really needs is a new TV series, retelling the story right from the beginning. There's just too much story and characters to cram into any one film (or even three films).

Agreed on all counts. What Robotech really needs is a new TV series, retelling the story right from the beginning. There's just too much story and characters to cram into any one film (or even three films).

MORE Robotech?? Congratulations on having the guts to say that.

Taksraven

they dont have problems with using anything from Southern Cross, only Macross. The company which did Southern Cross is a partner of the company which did Robotech, they gave to the company which did Robotech everything to use in Robotech sequels such as designs for Robotech The Sentinels, and they splitted profits in the past. Besides they will be so happy of getting money of a 25 years old dead series

they dont have problems with using anything from Southern Cross, only Macross. The company which did Southern Cross is a partner of the company which did Robotech, they gave to the company which did Robotech everything to use in Robotech sequels such as designs for Robotech The Sentinels, and they splitted profits in the past. Besides they will be so happy of getting money of a 25 years old dead series

Southern Cross failed in Japan and it's the least popular arc of the Robotech series. You have to ask yourself why any company would want to take interest in ressurrecting (and spending money on) a 25yr old dead, failed, and unpopular anime series.

Edited by Vifam7

It doesnt matter if it isnt popular in Japan. If Robotech live action succeeds, it's could just be an excuse to make a transformable mecha movie under a known name which by itself it's a good enough reason. And they dont have to stick completely to its mecha designs, they could even add that variable Sylphide people was posting before, or other new cooler adapted transformable aircrafts.

.... a 25yr old dead, failed, and unpopular anime series.

Definitely No Love for Southern Cross.

Are there any other anime programs with an anti-fanbase like Southern Cross?

Taksraven

Taksraven

I thought the Robotech vs. everything else in existence fandom was an infamous example.

It's too time consuming and exhausting to be anti-anything all the time. :lol:

Edited by Einherjar

The best way to revive Southern Cross if anyone really wanted to, is buy the rights to the story and basic ideas. Mecha and characters. And then go through some serious redesigns, revamp the story and how its told. Much like a government issued program, if its not working dump it, same thing with S.C., what ever really truly made the series that bad for viewers, delete it and rewrite new and impressive filler. (For example the notion that the 3 mounds in the wilderness are remains of the SDF-1, 86 that one!!)

But again, someone would really want to have invest $$$$ in this series. Even in 1985 when I was 9 y/o I thought that S.C. was so-so and that it could have been better.

Even more, with the Macross issues is more likely Southern Cross has more room in the Robotech story than in the original series, perhaps like they did in the Robotech comics, with bioroids onboard the space fortress and stuff like that. Not mentioning Zor in a Robotech movie would be like not mentioning Cybertron in the Transformers live action. It's the same for the Robotech Masters and all that relates to Southern Cross, their vessels, their society, etc.

My suggestions for making a new Southern Cross:

- Replace the lackluster transforming tanks and helicopters with nifty transforming jets and motorcycles.

- Remove the boring old men aliens and instead add cool giant crab aliens.

- Change the story from a tale of angsty army teenagers and turn it into a tale about a group of freedom fighters roaming the countryside.

Then you have a start. ;p

(Seriously, we're going to see another Dorvack series before we see more Southern Cross.)

- Replace the lackluster transforming tanks and helicopters with nifty transforming jets and motorcycles.

- Change the story from a tale of angsty army teenagers and turn it into a tale about a group of freedom fighters roaming the countryside.

(Seriously, we're going to see another Dorvack series before we see more Southern Cross.)

"So what your saying is, let me see here"..... "Ahhhhh, I got it!! another MOSPEADA!!!!!!!!!!" :p

If I'm not mistaken, there's a rights issues with the designs of the Southern Cross mechs. That's why we didn't see any in Shadow Chronicles when the crew was going through space station liberty's hangar. The Sentinels existed in a different legal time and deals have happened and cases filed since then.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a rights issues with the designs of the Southern Cross mechs. That's why we didn't see any in Shadow Chronicles when the crew was going through space station liberty's hangar. The Sentinels existed in a different legal time and deals have happened and cases filed since then.

All these licenses & copyrights, what a mess!!!!!!!

I agree.

In all fairness, Roger, I pretty much agree everything should be made into MOSPEADA.

Southern Cross failed in Japan and it's the least popular arc of the Robotech series. You have to ask yourself why any company would want to take interest in ressurrecting (and spending money on) a 25yr old dead, failed, and unpopular anime series.

Good point. Keep in mind, whether you liked the games or not, they made Robotech: Battlecry based on Macross, and then skipped right over Southern Cross to base Robotech: Invasion on MOSPEADA.

Taksraven

I wouldn't say there's an anti-fanbase for Southern Cross. More like disinterest.

But... MD Geist has an anti-fanbase! I think the whole entire anime fandom hates it. :lol:

Hmmm... yet MD Geist did have a sequel so I guess it's not totally out of realm for a Southern Cross sequel or remake.

Edited by Vifam7

I wouldn't say there's an anti-fanbase for Southern Cross. More like disinterest.

But... MD Geist has an anti-fanbase! I think the whole entire anime fandom hates it. :lol:

Hmmm... yet MD Geist did have a sequel so I guess it's not totally out of realm for a Southern Cross sequel or remake.

Just doesn't seem likely. Heck, MOSPEADA was just as popular, if not more, and barely had a sequel (Love, Live, Alive I believe it was), and the creators have recently said there's no chance of a new sequel.

:(

There are no rights issues with Southern Cross. The show was created entirely in house by Tatsunoko and they have full undisputed international rights, not just to distributing, but everything.

Tatsunoko has the rights to license the animation, but Big West purchased the merchandising rights from them a while back.

I'd say there's probably at least much apathy directed towards Galvion or Yamato 2520 than there is towards Southern Cross.

Hell, I've just typed the word "Galvion" more times in the last minute or so than anyone else has since the creation of the internet.

And I'll do it again: "Galvion."

Mentioned three times in one post...that's gotta be a world record.

I'd say there's probably at least much apathy directed towards Galvion or Yamato 2520 than there is towards Southern Cross.

Hell, I've just typed the word "Galvion" more times in the last minute or so than anyone else has since the creation of the internet.

Ok, I'll bite. What was so bad about it?

I just Googled it and watched the intro, it didn't look that bad.

There was a really expensive toy from Dorvack announced recently too, the one that became Roadbuster in Transformers.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ue4w-UorA0

Sorry:

http://toyboxdx.com/phorum/read.php?1,75051,75051

Ok, I'll bite. What was so bad about it?

After the "LONELY CHAAASEEAAAAHHHH!" theme it really goes downhill. The animation is incredibly lousy and most of the the episodes tell standalone tales rather than a continuous story (Southern Cross gets points for this). Like Dorvack, It feels a lot like watching MASK.