Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Ok, so not just KitzConcept but Kids Logic is also producing Southern Cross figures (or statues) now

Yeah, that's a 1:6th scale statue.

Given the cost of their previous statues, I fear the MSRP...  :unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it variable?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Ok, so not just KitzConcept but Kids Logic is also producing Southern Cross figures (or statues) now

FB_IMG_1595359855844.jpg.f39a410451aae917a245fef05a8beea1.jpg

 

Southern Cross x Hajime Sorayama? 

That's actually quite brilliant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 5:48 AM, electric indigo said:

Southern Cross x Hajime Sorayama? 

That's actually quite brilliant.

Sigh...if Dana ever landed head first on the ground, she's be stuck there with all the pointy stuff on her helmet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s why Germany stopped using the head spike after ww1. Too many soldiers tripped in the ditches found with legs sticking up straight in the air. They just couldn’t get loose and made them easy targets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big s said:

That’s why Germany stopped using the head spike after ww1. Too many soldiers tripped in the ditches found with legs sticking up straight in the air. They just couldn’t get loose and made them easy targets.

Lawn darts, they called them... very tragic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Big s said:

Wonder if it will work with the new Dana figure

The 1:18 kit won't, but -- if he manages to sell 50 of them anyway -- it sounds like he'll be able to finance the production of a 1:12 version.

Like any new Southern Cross product, it's tentative at best.  :unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 10:59 AM, pengbuzz said:

Sigh...if Dana ever landed head first on the ground, she's be stuck there with all the pointy stuff on her helmet.

Ah, yeah... it never made a ton of sense for the ō-yoroi armor designed for Science Fiction Sengoku Saga to be carried over into the very non-Japanese Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross.  Nothing worse for your health on the battlefield than wearing a great big sign that says "shoot me, I'm an officer".  I guess Tatsunoko was just too damn proud of the admittedly rather stylish-for-the-time armor designs they'd made.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Ah, yeah... it never made a ton of sense for the ō-yoroi armor designed for Science Fiction Sengoku Saga to be carried over into the very non-Japanese Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross.  Nothing worse for your health on the battlefield than wearing a great big sign that says "shoot me, I'm an officer".  I guess Tatsunoko was just too damn proud of the admittedly rather stylish-for-the-time armor designs they'd made.

At least in Macross, the only difference in the Valkyries were the head, and that's kinda hard to keep track of in a fight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Ah, yeah... it never made a ton of sense for the ō-yoroi armor designed for Science Fiction Sengoku Saga to be carried over into the very non-Japanese Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross.  Nothing worse for your health on the battlefield than wearing a great big sign that says "shoot me, I'm an officer".  I guess Tatsunoko was just too damn proud of the admittedly rather stylish-for-the-time armor designs they'd made.

I like the kludgy reasoning that first appeared in the novels and then the newer Palladium RPG.  After the Rain of Death, the Southern Cross armours took on extravagant designs to showcase larger than life heroes, like knights errant reborn.  Yes, yes, armour makes less than zero sense in mecha warfare, but I still like the reasoning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoryHolmes said:

I like the kludgy reasoning that first appeared in the novels and then the newer Palladium RPG.  After the Rain of Death, the Southern Cross armours took on extravagant designs to showcase larger than life heroes, like knights errant reborn.  Yes, yes, armour makes less than zero sense in mecha warfare, but I still like the reasoning.

Granted, that'd sound almost sensible if only the Southern Cross Army in Robotech wasn't canonically the dumping ground where the real military disposed of its rejects, washouts, and all of the other unwanted dead weight personnel that would be least missed on or behind the lines in the event of an actual conflict.  (Of course, in the Palladium RPG's 2nd edition, all of their gear - armor included - was substandard hardware.)  I can't imagine it would've fooled anyone, since the fact that the military's best were all in the Expeditionary Forces wasn't exactly a secret... nor was the do-nothing "mind the house while the adults are gone" nature of the assignment.

I think the gist of it from the original Southern Cross was something more along the lines of the military existing mainly for show and not being intended to do any actual fighting.

 

1 hour ago, claude grant said:

Can you imagine if Bandai pulled a Saint Seiya move and did a cloth figure line for the armors of Southern Cross? 

This has been on my mind for years.

Now if Bandai were to make models of the original arming doublets from Science Fiction Sengoku Saga, they might have my attention...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 9:03 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Granted, that'd sound almost sensible if only the Southern Cross Army in Robotech wasn't canonically the dumping ground where the real military disposed of its rejects, washouts, and all of the other unwanted dead weight personnel that would be least missed on or behind the lines in the event of an actual conflict.  (Of course, in the Palladium RPG's 2nd edition, all of their gear - armor included - was substandard hardware.)  I can't imagine it would've fooled anyone, since the fact that the military's best were all in the Expeditionary Forces wasn't exactly a secret... nor was the do-nothing "mind the house while the adults are gone" nature of the assignment.

I think the gist of it from the original Southern Cross was something more along the lines of the military existing mainly for show and not being intended to do any actual fighting.

Um, actkshually, if you look at page 62 of the new RPG and trust my head canon interpretation, along with my specific thought wavelength you'll see that - :wacko:  Nope, nope I can't do it.  I can't get that in deep defending a kludgy reinterpretation of an American cartoon made by swiping and dubbing a Japanese cartoon in the 80s, with all the 80s cartoon foolishness that goes with it :D

 

I still unabashidly love the setting, the actual show less so, but the setting itself is fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

FB_IMG_1596223231429.jpg.233a9628dc402ce9512acdb5757ab12b.jpg

I like it. A lot. Never would buy it with that robowreck label. But it's nice to look at , nevertheless. 

 

48 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

Beautiful, a must have.

Now if they could just make some quality Bioroids... :)

de25nwd-ead1bde2-673a-4472-ad01-750c38e60a01.png

de25kuq-99821f7e-a6f2-4f55-be89-f72e1e42a22e.png

https://www.deviantart.com/bioscythe2/art/Red-Bioroid-Interior-Head-On-View-850149949

A well done Bioroid would be cool. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 2:26 AM, tekering said:

Yeah, that's a 1:6th scale statue.

Given the cost of their previous statues, I fear the MSRP...  :unsure:

You said it, but at least its 1/6 rather than 1/4.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) its not fugly like the Mospaeda statue, so not an easy pass this time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JB0 said:

Or 1/1?

1/1 is for wealthy feudal lords who live in castles. 

The only fig/statue I would ever consider at even close to human scale is the Zentradi soldier. Reason being that they could still scale with other figs/statues in your collection given that they are meant to be gigantic.

 

Edited by Podtastic
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bolt said:

I like it. A lot. Never would buy it with that robowreck label. But it's nice to look at , nevertheless. 

Same... this is one of the rare Robotech products that doesn't look like complete arse, but because it has the R-word on it and profits Harmony Gold it's a hard pass from me.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Here's the Robotech-free original...

IDZwbzV.jpg

One of the Southern Cross model kits by Arii did it even earlier... complete with a removable chest plate so you could see Lana's knockers for some reason?

Anime 49210: Arii Macross-Southern Cross Gmp 1 12 Scale Model ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DewPoint said:

Because they solved the age related boob sag issue in the future? 

Quite the opposite!  Since the relatively higher gravity on Glorie exacerbates the problem, young women are fast-tracked into military and civil service at an early age, and quickly retired before the onset of menopause.  That's why Lana occupies such a high-ranking position within the military police, even though she's still a teenager...  :huh:

...and hell, Jeanne's not even old enough to have graduated high school, but she's already an ATAC squad leader.  :blink:

By anime standards, of course, this doesn't even bat an eyelash.  <_<

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tekering said:

Removable chest plates are standard issue in the Grorie Miritally Police.

Bras are not.  :huh:

Hey, Quartermaster General Benny Hill's decisions about equipment will NOT be questioned! :p 

 

 

2 hours ago, DewPoint said:

Because they solved the age related boob sag issue in the future? 

Nope, it's an emergency crowd control measure... the GMP is tapping into that hindbrain reaction that distracts people when they see a nice pair.

 

 

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Quite the opposite!  Since the relatively higher gravity on Glorie exacerbates the problem, young women are fast-tracked into military and civil service at an early age, and quickly retired before the onset of menopause.  That's why Lana occupies such a high-ranking position within the military police, even though she's still a teenager...  :huh:

...and hell, Jeanne's not even old enough to have graduated high school, but she's already an ATAC squad leader.  :blink:

Fun fact... it normally takes a minimum of nine years of service to reach the rank of Sergeant Major or its equivalent in most world militaries.

Jeanne Francaix is a Sergeant Major at the start of Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross.  

Jeanne Francaix is also seventeen years old at the start of Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross.

We can only assume she's been MASSIVELY overpromoted which must've happened before Glorie's military got to know her, as her frequent flier status to the stockade would normally disqualify one from any kind of promotion.  (Of course, that the 15th exists at all instead of handing the soldiers dumped there their dishonorable discharge papers shows the Southern Cross Army's brass are taking the piss too.)  IIRC, wasn't she a transfer from Liberte or something?

 

Lana and Marie technically don't have that problem, since they're both 2nd Lieutenants and officer training is usually not much longer than basic training (~10-12 weeks) for those coming in on the OCS option.

 

1 hour ago, tekering said:

By anime standards, of course, this doesn't even bat an eyelash.  <_<

Like most anime that indulge in this, there's a baked-in excuse that the military had to relax its age requirements a bit in the wake of a global catastrophe (back on Earth) that took the population down a few dozen notches.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish someone would reissue those old Southern Cross kits, the figures and the Flash Clapper (Hovercycle), and especially the Red Bioroid-niod. I would KILL for all those kits. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed to track them all down on the secondary market, mostly near their original retail prices... sometimes less than that, even.  The only pricey ones are Jeanne and Lana.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I wish someone would reissue those old Southern Cross kits, the figures and the Flash Clapper (Hovercycle), and especially the Red Bioroid-niod. I would KILL for all those kits. 

It's not hard to find them. Try Yahoo Auctions or Mandarake. I've been able to buy all those kits recently

414608481_DSC_292001.thumb.jpg.42a28dd6aced9cc82ff1310b7c5149a7.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...