Can we please keep the Robotech generations out of the discussion about SDC Southern Cross? It seems to be the bane of this show always having to be compared to Macross and Mospeada due to the RT link. Both visually and story wise Southern cross draws more from Gundam then anything else anyway.

I think the problem is that while Macross has a number of fans (even in the English speaking world!) who were never exposed to Robotech, Mospeada has far fewer...and Southern Cross has virtually none. As such, it's easy to keep RT off the table when talking about Macross, but less so for the other two.

And that makes them different from the rest of the entertainment industry in which way?

Taksraven

No heart, no love, reduce other people's work to filler to fulfill syndication requirements, and come up with a rationalization later.

I guess I should have said maximizing profits by taking credit for everything they didn't make themselves and make a franchise out of it. You end up with the resources (and toys) of three series to work with. The predicted result:

prints_money.gif

Edited by Einherjar

The original idea was to import Japanese animation. The onyl way they'd be able to (or agree to) do it, was to make sure that it met syndication requirements; which, if I'm not mistaken, is about 100 episodes (or 13 weeks of Monday to Friday broadcasts). No two parts of what became Robotech could meet that, thus a third part was brought in. After that,. they had to write the English script so that it appeared that the three different shows appeared as one.

You only need 65 episodes for weekday syndication. You can start weekly syndication with much less. Also, they did not have to write the shows together to appear as one. For example, Force Five used Grendizer, Getter Robo G, Starzinger, Gaiking, and Danguard Ace as one syndicated show in an anthology format.

You only need 65 episodes for weekday syndication. You can start weekly syndication with much less. Also, they did not have to write the shows together to appear as one. For example, Force Five used Grendizer, Getter Robo G, Starzinger, Gaiking, and Danguard Ace as one syndicated show in an anthology format.

There are also many examples of series being written together. Doing the adaptation took considerably more work so there had to be a perceived benefit to it.

When they first started Robotech, I doubt they cared about the original works. It's always been about making money.

I wasn't talking about Robotech doing a disservice to the original animes. That topic is a dead horse, let's just leave it alone.

I was referring to talking about which mecha is better, or if Macross mecha would beat Southern Cross mecha or anything like that.

I think the problem is that while Macross has a number of fans (even in the English speaking world!) who were never exposed to Robotech, Mospeada has far fewer...and Southern Cross has virtually none. As such, it's easy to keep RT off the table when talking about Macross, but less so for the other two.

Your absolutly right off course. It just irritated me that the thread was slowly degenerating in to the standard whine:

"Veritech and Alpha Fighters are better then Hoover tanks"

" The helicopters were cool"

"Southern Cross sucked anyway"

"Yea, well Robotech Sucks"

"Does not"

"Does too"

I don't mind comparions made to RT Southern Cross and most of the toys which are still around are based on that. Any discussions about comparing the different Robotech generations to each other should be done on a dedicated RT forum, not in a thread about Chōjikū Kidan Sazan Kurosu.

As for the art work. I haven't seen much else except the artbook. I wish I had picked up the "This is anime #10" a few years back. Saw it on the Spiel convention in Essen - Germany and never seen it since. I had just bought all the Ground Work of Evangelion artbooks and some Kayodo Figures so was out of cash (no regrets there, both the books and toys are awesome). The very very long que at the one working ATM that accepted foreign debit cards just scared me off. German vendors tend to dump original editions when translations become avaiable and original Japanse stuff then goes for bargain prices.

Just the winter one.

Woah...I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I've been spending way too much time in the World of Sanctuary lately. (that's diablo 2) ^_^

Guess I will have more time to save up cash for the summer WHF.

Wow...the recent economic crisis caused by the greedy bankers is really hurting us bad now...never knew such a popular event like WHF will be cancelled...

This Is Animation #10 is easy to get and cheap. I've seen it on Yahoo Japan for as low as 500 yen.

I still have it around...somewhere. I haven't looked at it since I started studying Japanese, though. As I recall there were a lot of pictures in it that were rather puzzling. Wish I knew where exactly it was, I'd pull it out and the confused 13-year-old inside me would be immensely gratified to understand what the hell was going on.

one of the stories i heard about southern cross was that it was supposed to be a much longer series but it was cut short due to poor rating and/or low budget. Anybody know if there is any truth in this story?

Taksraven

one of the stories i heard about southern cross was that it was supposed to be a much longer series but it was cut short due to poor rating and/or low budget. Anybody know if there is any truth in this story?

Taksraven

Yes. A full season for an anime series would have been around 52 episodes (one per week), and Southern Cross only had 23.

i've heard the same story taskraven, that they cut the series to half of what it was supposed to be

Most of the time, one can tell if an anime is cut short. Usually, the ending seems rushed, like Southern Cross, the original Bubble Gum Crisis, Tenjou Tenge.

If a series feels like dragging out its end, usually it means it's way too popular to end it (aka a cash cow) but the script writers have run out of fresh ideas/plots. e.g. SDFM TV, Tenchi Muyo TV, Ikkitosen 3rd series also known as the fan-service galore series, Nadia-secret of blue water, 3rd series of Jigoku Shoujo aka Hell Girl, 3rd season of Gatchaman.

An anime series that I feel is just right: Mospeada

p.s. The examples I give are IMO only. ^_^

Edited by blacklotus

If you read the booklet that comes with the ADV release it has interviews with the creators talking about it being cut short. It's not a rumor.

Ok, thats fair enough, but don't forget that not all of us have the ADV release. For the benefit of those who do not have the ADV release can you fill us in to any reason they may give as to why the series was cut short?

I just found this on Wikipedia....

Southern Cross was the least successful of the Super Dimensional banner and was actually cancelled due to low ratings, forcing the scriptwriters to hastily conclude the series.

This section, however, is not referenced, so like much info on Wikipedia should be taken with a grain of salt.

Taksraven

New cover for Pallidium SC sourcebook.

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/Merchant2/ca.../images/552.jpg

Credit to 1stBorderRedDevil for the tip.

I use to love playing the SC stuff almost more than Mospeada in the Robotech RPG.

Overall far more than Macross for some reason.

Its a shame that Southern Cross was cut short and suffered from Budget cuts, I know many people can't stand it, But I like the series. (In Japanese & even as RT, yes I know the dreaded "R" word!!) The Story was interesting & the mecha & fighter designs were good too!! Its a bigger shame that this is a series that will probably never get revisited or a updated sequel to follow. be fun though!! B))

The energy and manpower that went into this thread is more than went into the creation of Southern Cross.

OUCH! Nah, I think that a little bit of love, energy and manpower went into the creation of Southern Cross, I think that it was just a little bit too 'out there' for a lot of anime fans.

I have to agree with the belief that if this show had not been taken up as part of RT it would truly be forgotten now.

Taksraven

So at this point which company involved in or having the rights to Southern Cross have the best chance of bringing it back in some form in the future?

My answer is "none of them," because this thread has thoroughly demonstrated that there is NO LOVE for Southern Cross.