yui1107: thanks for those awesome SC pics!!

>> Shun

The nekkid shower scenes appear in the early episodes. And yeah, I remember the Aisha skinny dipping scene too from Mospeada. And yes, it was shown on Singapore national TV to children on Saturday as well.

Now that I recall, I believe Singapore showed all 3 animes (Macross, SC and Mospeada) in both versions, the Mandarin channel one has the original Japanese storylines, while on the English channel, we have the Harmony Gold Robotech version.

hmmm I thought Mospeada was shown on Friday evenings? can't really remember, but i have mospeada taped ^_^ haha i think we're about the same age. :p

The weird thing about the Mandarin dubbed Macross is that they called Hikaru Ichijyo "Rick", but it follows the original story.

I didn't know we have robotech on english channel, but i saw some RT episodes on Malaysian channels much later in the 90s i think.

As for SC, i'd have to admit i didn't like it the first time i saw it on TV as a kid. the reasons are exactly what was already pointed out - i couldn't relate to a girl as the main role, and most of the mecha look ugly except for the Auroran and Spartas. Nothing really stands out, except for the triplets and trinity theme.

One of the kissdum mecha reminds me of Logan. :p

Edited by Shun

SC only gets crapped on because of Robotech.. On its own its a great show, its just, when we were kids, we were outraged when we saw Hovertakns basically replacing the Valkyrie. I mean WTF.

>>Einherjar and yui1107

Thanks for the great Jeanne art and links. I love the full ending. I didn't know there's one. I only had the ADV dvds, not the original Japanese LDs.

>>Shun

I believe it was on Channel 5, if I remember correctly. Anyway, I guess I can always go to the library and search the microfilms of old newspapers of the 80s.

>> everyone who's interested in the SC soundtracks

I will be hopping over to Tokyo Japan this year later for either WF or Comiket. If I manage to track down a copy in some obscure 2nd hand shop, I will put up a bt here. But hopefully, I don't get banned or sued... :unsure:

Now to hunt down an "ISBN type" number for that CD...

>>Einherjar and yui1107

>> everyone who's interested in the SC soundtracks

I will be hopping over to Tokyo Japan this year later for either WF or Comiket. If I manage to track down a copy in some obscure 2nd hand shop, I will put up a bt here. But hopefully, I don't get banned or sued... :unsure:

Now to hunt down an "ISBN type" number for that CD...

That would be brilliant if you can :), although last I hard WF (Wonderfests) have been cancelled...?

For starters... the "AJACS" should be "TASC-02-SCF Auroran"...

Whatever you want to call it, it was a nicely designed unit. One of the highlights of Southern Cross.

Taksraven

From the Robotech perspective, it's still funny how they changed from fighter planes to space helicopters due to story limitations. Though they made reasons for the changes between generations, the military must have been smoking/drinking a lot of Protoculture to give up on a lot of things like the Valkyrie program first Veritech. No wonder they lost Earth.

I guess there's some consultation for the lack of Southern Cross love. The lore from the series was incorporated into the history of the Robotech universe and defined Protoculture until they went overboard with the idea. I've heard it went way out there by the end of the novels, so I guess Southern Cross ended up shaping the Robotech universe through the good and the bad times.

That's probably why I like watching the original series as its own thing, it's simpler and not as full of itself. And the Auroran looks cool too without all that Robotech generational luggage.

without all that Robotech generational luggage.

Meh, that 'generational luggage' sometimes works. One of the more amusing theories I've read is that after the First Robotech War, the mecha designers took the best ideas from Human and Zentradi mecha when designing the next generation; thus explaining why the Alpha fighter is smaller, faster, and armed to the teeth with missles B))

Sometimes crossovers DO work :)

Also, y'know... that picture is just awesome.

Meh, that 'generational luggage' sometimes works. One of the more amusing theories I've read is that after the First Robotech War, the mecha designers took the best ideas from Human and Zentradi mecha when designing the next generation; thus explaining why the Alpha fighter is smaller, faster, and armed to the teeth with missles B))

Sometimes crossovers DO work :)

Except not. The VF-1 is far superior to anything in the other shows and none of the shows look the same.

I can look at this image and see how every Valkyrie looks like it belongs in the same universe. Even Gundam at its weirdest time in Zeta and ZZ could bring a sense everything was built in the same world.

I can tell you've given this an abundance of thought while working on your Robotech fanfic.

I can tell just by watching the shows, you Robodumbass.

Possibly. But I regard the Macross mecha as being absurdly overpowered and successive generations are boarding on "designed by powergamer munchkins in RPGs" absurd.

That's why you just praised the Legioss for being better in every way, right? The Legioss is just as much of a powergamer design even not worse.

Can we please keep the Robotech generations out of the discussion about SDC Southern Cross? It seems to be the bane of this show always having to be compared to Macross and Mospeada due to the RT link. Both visually and story wise Southern cross draws more from Gundam then anything else anyway.

Can we please keep the Robotech generations out of the discussion about SDC Southern Cross? It seems to be the bane of this show always having to be compared to Macross and Mospeada due to the RT link. Both visually and story wise Southern cross draws more from Gundam then anything else anyway.

Exactly, everywhere else in the Internet can't stop talking about that crap, all because someone said, "This is the second generation of our story, honest," and rolled with it.

Seriously? A debate about Macross mecha being better than MOSPEADA mecha? And then compare to Southern Cross?

Ok, being an avid fan one one of those shows, and just a casual one at best of the other, I have my own opinions on how things would be if these things were real, but...

Serisouly, all three of these shows existed in their own world. You can't say that the mecha in one are better than the mecha in another. Each show had its own rules about what a vehicle or mecha can do and can't, how missiles work, how vehicles get damaged... and all three are completely different.

Just look at each show separately (or, in the case of this thread, look at Southern Cross separately), and the only mecha comparison you can make is whether, per your personal taste, you like a design or not.

Serisouly, all three of these shows existed in their own world. You can't say that the mecha in one are better than the mecha in another. Each show had its own rules about what a vehicle or mecha can do and can't, how missiles work, how vehicles get damaged... and all three are completely different.

Unfortunately, Robotech made the connection possible somehow and people swear to it even now. However, most of the debates revolve around the Robotech versions of each mecha, or at least I think there were changes made like running on Protoculture, etc. Sometimes it turns really ugly too.

Unfortunately, Robotech made the connection possible somehow and people swear to it even now. However, most of the debates revolve around the Robotech versions of each mecha, or at least I think there were changes made like running on Protoculture, etc. Sometimes it turns really ugly too.

I do get that, and I, for one, was first introduced to all of this by Robotech... read the Robotech books and loved (almost all of) them... but I just don't think it's not a realistic comparison, and does disservice to the original work.

Mecha in Southern Cross and MOSPEADA are a lot more fragile and less powerful than in Macross. Not because they're "worse" but because they exist in a different anime version of reality.

Edited by RavenHawk

I do get that, and I, for one, was first introduced to all of this by Robotech... read the Robotech books and loved (almost all of) them... but I just don't think it's not a realistic comparison, and does disservice to the original work.

When they first started Robotech, I doubt they cared about the original works. It's always been about making money.

The original idea was to import Japanese animation. The onyl way they'd be able to (or agree to) do it, was to make sure that it met syndication requirements; which, if I'm not mistaken, is about 100 episodes (or 13 weeks of Monday to Friday broadcasts). No two parts of what became Robotech could meet that, thus a third part was brought in. After that,. they had to write the English script so that it appeared that the three different shows appeared as one.

Edited by sketchley