yamato's next move

arrow

Now that Bandai has started to release their DX line. And, interest in macross is better.

What do you think yamato's next move be?

will they quicken their pace with releases. (vf-11b, re-release their vf-0,...) or will they move with their regular pace?

I think Yamato has already ridden on the upsurge of Macross popularity - in Dec, they released Tomahawk OD, Defender and Hikaru 1S, and re-released VF-0S and the Queadluun-Raus.

It is already pretty crowded for a series (even if compared to Gundam mechandises)...

From what I've seen, I'd say Yamato has nothing to worry about.

Quoted for truth.

Seriously though, it all depends on what licenses they still have. Macross DYRL, Macross Plus, VFX-2, etc...

Predictions:

- More destroids (gotta release em all! :lol: Perhaps even enemy mecha in 1/60 scale.)

- 1/60 v2.0 Armor

- double seater 1/60 v2.0 VF-1 valks such as the Elintseeker and Ostrich.

- Re-issue of the König Monster, perhaps (seeing how they re-issued the Queadluun-Raus)?

Quite a bit more to go. In any case, I do hope Yamato picks up the Frontier line. The sooner the better!

I think Yamato has already ridden on the upsurge of Macross popularity - in Dec, they released Tomahawk OD, Defender and Hikaru 1S, and re-released VF-0S and the Queadluun-Raus.

It is already pretty crowded for a series (even if compared to Gundam mechandises)...

Seriously, Yamato is putting out a prolific number of toys right now to try to capture the Macross F wave. They haven't been this busy with releases in a LOOOOONG time.

An increase in qc now that they are not the only producers of 1/60 Macross mecha, and their main rival is Bandai....who typically has far superior qc. Now, they can't just sit back and not worry, they actually have competition now. Bandai isn't just making one toyline, they are making two, AND a model kit line. Before, Yamato didn't have to worry about anything, they were the only game in town to go to for your perfect variable fix. Hasegawa never made variable kits, and no one else in Japan was making new perfect transformation valkyrie toys. Now it is different. Some of you may think this is a bad thing, I personally feel that this is a great thing. Suspect qc drives consumers away, no matter how ambitious or innovative the company, in fact it cancels out the potential greatness of a toy, you can't enjoy what is easily broken. Competition breeds innovation and greatness, as well as cheaper prices as the competitors try to outgun each other.

Anyways I think they will go for the overlooked mecha that they have licenses too, such as the VF-5000, and VF-9, the latter being mentioned in a magazine article last month. In fact I would not be surprised if the VF-9 is next. With the Macross Frontier movie coming out in summer, the series being popular, brand recognition will increase next year, so there is less risk releasing an overlooked valkyrie in toy form. It would be risky if there was no Macross media on at all, but since there is already a popular series, and a movie to look forward to, 2009 is the best time to release any new toys based on overlooked mecha.

i'd like to see a vf-0d and some more obscure valks, but i get the feeling they're gonna focus on ver 2 vf-1 repaints, destroids and non-transformable gnus for the foreseeable future.

Easy... their Macross design team should be purchased outright by Bandai. QC solved (mostly).

Yeah, because we all want hunchbacked, neckless Urkle-valks with bendy head lasers.

Honestly? I'd rather have iffy QC with a relatively perfect sclupt than head lasers that belong on a $0.25 gashapon toy. But that's just me, I'm anal about gashapon diseased PVC parts, especially on a $100+ toy.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Competition breeds innovation and greatness, as well as cheaper prices as the competitors try to outgun each other.

I agree wholeheartedly. Hopefully we'll see some of that competition in action with increasingly better QC from Yamato, and increasingly better sculpts from Bandai. Though, to be quite honest, I've never had a serious QC issue with a Yamato toy. Knock on wood. Some tighter joints would be a huge plus, though.

And yeah, unfortunately I see them milking repaints on the VF-1 1/60 version 2 line for the foreseeable future. I'd love to see more obscure Valkyries, especially the VF-4, but we just haven't seen much of that from them over the years.

I'll certainly be collecting the destroids, though.

Edited by Radd

Yamato, just to our voice -

Give us some damn 1/60 enermy mechs such as Regult, Glaug Officer Pod, Nousjadel Ger or even 1/60 some enermy soliders.

And a 'nice' scale TV version SDF1 and some enermy ships too!

WHo the hell is the Yamato marketing guy doing? These toys will sell great cause NOBODY has done them! :angry:

Well I don't think yamato will be in serious trouble unless the whole economy of japan or asia in general collapses which is a big possibility nowadays... All the factories that produce yamato products are in china and china is having massive economic turmoil and civil unrest... Most ppl aren't told whats going on there atm from the media because it is government censored and they don't want ppl to be fearful of the economy... But yeah I'd say yamato will be ok as long as the economy is in its current form...

Yeah, because we all want hunchbacked, neckless Urkle-valks with bendy head lasers.

Honestly? I'd rather have iffy QC with a relatively perfect sclupt than head lasers that belong on a $0.25 gashapon toy. But that's just me, I'm anal about gashapon diseased PVC parts, especially on a $100+ toy.

Vostok 7

I think he means the design team from Yamato should work for Bandai. That way we get Yamato design and Bandai QC.

yeah i think Yamato is still on the right track. Reaction to the DX line seems mixed at best, though the first versions are high sellers as everyone takes a look. the next wave will be the teller.

i just hope Yamato does the 0D. Its the one unannounced toy they have the lisence for that we havent seen hide nor hair of!

Vostok 7

Please don't misunderstand my comment. I think Y-fans and B-fans have legitimate reasons for their pet dislikes of the other company's products. I have always admired Yamato's beautiful designs, and CAD has only made them look even more incredible. And yeah, Bandai didn't do a great job for the VF-25. Take Yamato's passion for intricate design and back it up with solid production experience + 1st-tier factory respect and we could all be winners.

That's what I've been saying all along. The best situation for everybody, would be if Bandai subcontacts out to Yamato and gets them to do the CAD designs for the Macross Frontier Toys, but Bnadai is the one that actually produces them and oversees the QC.

Not gonna happen though.

Graham

Personally, I'd like them to return to the 1/72 scale or be ambitious and tackle Bandai head-on with their own 1/100 line. The 1/60 scale is one of the main reasons why I'm slow on buying Yamato toys and Bandai's chogokin.

I'd also like to see a low-cost alternative to their hyper-expensive 1/60 line. The GNUs came close but failed to give a scale size and the other 2 modes.

Edited by Vifam7

I just wish Yamato would slow down with their releases. It's impossible to keep up at the moment, especially with the high strength of the Japanese Yen.

For the first time in many years, I'm having to be selective about which and how many Macross toys I buy. :(

Graham

I just wish Yamato would slow down with their releases. It's impossible to keep up at the moment, especially with the high strength of the Japanese Yen.

For the first time in many years, I'm having to be selective about which and how many Macross toys I buy. :(

Graham

I agree that too, especailly all the VF-1 series. They should slow down a bit. But to not other mechs, such as Destroids.

I can understand Yamato just want to release more macross product quickly. Since they can take an advantage with the current Macross Frontier market wave.

But the strong Yen , high price mark products and weak economy are killing all the collectors outside Japan.

Yamato makes beautiful toys, and they get the details right. But I don't think they're quite the transcendent toy designers they're made out to be here. Sure, they've perfected their VF-1 toys, and that's fantastic. But Yamato has a tendency to over-complicate their transformation mechanisms, to the point where the toy isn't fun or safe to transform repeatedly. Yamato needs to learn to simplify their transformation mechanisms as much as possible, and to use more metal in places where it can help them.

I agree that they could slow down their releases. Times are tough all around.