Welcome Macross Collectors

Shawn

This forum is to discuss anything about Macross Collecting

We have dedicated forums for Toys, Models, and Games, so this is the catchall for everything else.

Cels, posters, books, you name it!

Now I finally have a place to discuss my Macross beachball and chopsticks! :)

Shawn

Nostalgia... That's what a lot of my Macross collection is about. I like surfing YahooJP for things that I couldn't get back in the 80s - like candy toys, the vinyl toys, Ohsato's fun stuff like menko cards & whatnot.

I'm also lucky enough to still have things that survived from the 80s, in spite of moves, sales and purges. Here's a couple I added to Flickr last week:

My Zentraedi ships, purchased from Galactic Trade Commission and built back about 1985:

3119801110_3eddf0e15f.jpg

...Some MOC Convertors edition Paro Valkyries in the background. While I had a couple back in 'the day', these are relatively recent re-acquisitions.

My still-surviving first Destroid Tomahawk, built long before I bothered with seam filling:

3119801112_51472376de.jpg

...There's an original first-run DYRL theater ticket there behind it. No, I didn't get to attend. Just picked up the ticket on eBay a couple years back for like $5.

My anime book collection circa 1986 or so (only a couple of models & toys are pictured here):

1259306494_e2bab8c730.jpg

...That's a lot of hard-won stuff there for a kid in a little rural town, thanks primarily to mail order from Books Nippan, Bud Plant, and a very rare visit or two to Eides Entertainment in Pittsburgh, PA during a school field trip.

Edited by AcroRay

Now I finally have a place to discuss my Macross beachball and chopsticks! :)

Wait, are you getting another one? I noticed that there's a beach ball up for bids on Yahoo! Japan ending today that currently has your name on it.

Did anyone ever buy that Macross pool float/raft on YJA?

If Shawn saw it and it was at a reasonable price, he probably won it, unless there were other high bidders. (I see that he did win one at least.)

inflatableringcushionof3.th.jpg

Edited by veffidas

I tried getting that Macross innertube, but was outbid. It got up to $50! The buyer was a hardcore innertube collector, so I didn't stand a chance (not kidding-all their previous wins were innertubes)

I did win the big Macross themed raft, and even hung it on the back wall at our MWCon. Got a few questions along the lines of "what the heck?"-was pretty funny.

Currently trying to get that beachball on yahoo that ends tonight-hopefully for under $15. Its different than the other one I have. No idea why all these Macross themed beach accessories have hit the market in the last 2 years-but as you know its fun finding the strange items. The chase is almost more fun than the capture.

Still regret missing out on the destroid lamp shade from a while ago-haven't seen that thing come back around. :)

Shawn

Just curious, but is that the VF-1S bootleg that came with LEDs and a clear canopy?

Nope - Its an scale-up of the Takatoku 1/100 VF-1S. Actually the quality isn't too shabby, and it goes pretty nicely with the Matchbox original Destroid toys in both scale and materials quality. I got a couple about 3 years ago. Haven't seen them since.

I recall seeing maybe one image of the LED bootleg, and I don't recall the scale or which Valk toy it was based off of, unfortunately.

I think we should do a breakout thread on Valk bootlegs. I've got a number of them in several scales. They're a sub-interest in my collection. (When I can get them cheap.)

Edited by AcroRay

since we're discussing odd and rare macross item

anyone ever seen a macross 7 themed bed sheets??? a coworker used to take those when we had 36h shifts, she knew nothing about macross so I really didn't felt like asking about it, it was her sons

it was a blue sheet with Basara and his valk

Nope - Its an scale-up of the Takatoku 1/100 VF-1S. Actually the quality isn't too shabby, and it goes pretty nicely with the Matchbox original Destroid toys in both scale and materials quality. I got a couple about 3 years ago. Haven't seen them since.

I recall seeing maybe one image of the LED bootleg, and I don't recall the scale or which Valk toy it was based off of, unfortunately.

I think we should do a breakout thread on Valk bootlegs. I've got a number of them in several scales. They're a sub-interest in my collection. (When I can get them cheap.)

I have the LED bootlegs. They are based off the 1/55 2002 VF-1A head reissue with the swappable canopies. There is an all red version and a white version with a blue back hatch, each blister carded. They come with the gun pod and an alternate light green transparent canopy.

I'll try to get some pics up.

I did win the big Macross themed raft, and even hung it on the back wall at our MWCon. Got a few questions along the lines of "what the heck?"-was pretty funny.

Cool, that raft was on YJA for a loong time before someone finally bought it. We should start a thread about Macross sports equipment. Maybe include rain gear and umbrellas. I have seen the umbrella in a TIA book, does any actually have one?

since we're discussing odd and rare macross item

anyone ever seen a macross 7 themed bed sheets??? a coworker used to take those when we had 36h shifts, she knew nothing about macross so I really didn't felt like asking about it, it was her sons

it was a blue sheet with Basara and his valk

Those sound sweet, you should have bought them from her :)

I have some cheesy Robotech bedsheets. Totally awful looking, but still really cool :p

I have some cheesy Robotech bedsheets. Totally awful looking, but still really cool :p

You've got a couple of those Robotech Pepsi glasses from Argentina, don't you? Now those are awful-looking, but cool.

Wow. That sounds sweet, I've never seen those before. You should make copies :)

If you would like a copy let me know, I'll see if I can get the staples out without damaging the pages and then I'll scan them for you. If I can't get the staples out then sorry I won't be able to do it as I'm not bending the pages as they are in as new condition.

I would say they were done by someone in the US as the first page has a cross reference of Macross to Robotech characters/items and a bit of help on how to read Japanese books (ie: back to front, right to left).

If you would like a copy let me know, I'll see if I can get the staples out without damaging the pages and then I'll scan them for you. If I can't get the staples out then sorry I won't be able to do it as I'm not bending the pages as they are in as new condition.

I would say they were done by someone in the US as the first page has a cross reference of Macross to Robotech characters/items and a bit of help on how to read Japanese books (ie: back to front, right to left).

Sound like a nice fandom artifact!

If you can get it apart & scan it, please try to share the files via Rapidshare, or with the help of one of the Macrossworld servers. :)

Sounds like it will be a large project, but if you can get it finished, I'll host it :)

Well got off to a flying start doing the scanning, not <_<

Being over 20 years old they used what appears to foolscap size paper (which was pretty common back then). It's bigger than A4 or Legal so until I can find someone with an A3 scanner it ain't gonna happen. :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I'd want something like that, cept it'll be 2 sizes to small.

I went to a hobby store a ways from where I live after a quick job interview. I looked around, lots of Gundam kits and my eyes catch something at the bottom and I kneel down and wha do I see? a 1/65 VF-19 Fire Kai, an actual Bandai Japan one, not that Chinese knock off crap. 99 retail, I got it knocked down to 39.99 cause the box is pretty worn out.

Not a bad score.

They are a translation of the 2 books next to them. They came with the books and there is nothing in them that I can see that tells you who did them.

so those could be fan made? I've never seen those before. Where did you get them from?

• 2 weeks later...

Since this seems to be the thread for assorted items, I thought I'd post about these launch drink coasters here. The three restaurants/cafes/bars participating in the launch ceremony activities are offering assorted coasters with purchase of appropriate Macross-related food or drink item, with three different ones per store it seems.

Queen Dolce has Alto, Michel, and Hikaru.

queendolceoa3.th.jpg

Cure Maid Cafe has Minmay, Sheryl, and Klan (micronized).

curemaidcy7.th.jpg

Akiba Kaigan has Ranka, Klan (macronized), and Roy.

akibakaiganbmr2.th.jpg akibakaigancoz9.th.jpg akibakaiganamo6.th.jpg

A little odd that they chose Roy over Misa, instead of completing the triangle - unless there are actually more than three versions per store, though I haven't seen anything different as of yet.

Edited by veffidas