Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.3

Graham

:'(

one of my two VF-25F models just broke, & since i don't want to take chances with the other one i'm gonna have to go with one of the 1/60 VF-25's. I think i'm goning to pick either mikhail's or ozma's fighter. just one question since right now i'm a bit tight on time & don't want to go back several pages. does the 1/60 VF-25 have large parts made out of metal or are they going to be made almost entirely out of plastic like the newer yamato's valkyries? also are these going to be molded in color or will they be painted?

now going back to bury my poor innocent valk. snif :'(

Damn, that stinks. Sorry to hee that. That's exactly why alot of us are disappointed in how the DX looks, because we wnat the Valk we saw in the anime without having to worry about the fragility of a model or decals peeling off excetra. That's why the whole argument of "well just get the model" doesn't fly for me. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the model and they are not that fragile, but they are also not meant to be handeled alot either. Still may get a DX (for those reasons alone) but I still want to see some reviews and see if thelegs can be positioned better in fighter mode.

Chris

hmmmmm....

My VF-25 model is one of the most fragile items in my collection. It has broken at a thick part of the thigh on its first transformation and took some serious cement to get back together again and every time I touch it something falls off. Sure the Yamatos are not really much as play toys like the transformers you get at Toys R Us but definitely more handleable than the VF-25 model in my experience. It was fun to put the VF-25 together and I love the sculpt but because it takes so much time to complete and because it is so fragile I am considering stopping at this one even though I really want the one with the super parts.

Well the model is cheaper than $200 yamato toys which is more fragile IMHO..

That may be true, although I haven't had any problems with any of my yamatos except the 1/72 VF-11, but that has what to do with the DX. I'm not a fan of any particular company Bandai, Yamato, ect....but I don't see what a fragile Yamato has to do, in any way, with the DX. ntsan, I'm not sure if that was what you where inferring, so I appologize for using you as my quote. I'm just tired of anytime someone says anything negative about the DX, the impediate response is always..."well, my expensive yamato broke" or something of that nature. So what.....that has nothing to do with the DX's inacuarcies or possible QC issues. If Yamato or toynami or any other company made a toy that looks like the DX, we would still have a problem with it. I know many people like how the DX looks, some even like it better than the actual design, and that's cool....many of us don't too. Let me say this though. if the DX looked closer to the model (ie more accurate to the actual thing) I bet everyone that says that they like how this DX looks, would still have been very happy with it and sung it's praises while also pleasing we who wanted a more accurate representation. It just seems odd that they would alienate certain fans for no apparent reason. Yeah, I know Kowamori approved it, or it MAY have been based off of older sketches of his and that this is what he WANTED the VF-25 to look like, not like he wasn't a producer of the show or anything, and the mecha designer, and couldn't make the damn things look like he wanted in the first place....so I don't buy that explaination. Sorry for the rant, the toy is what it is, complaining won't change anything, and I don't HATE it, it just could have been so much more for everybody, and mainly I was just tired of the old Yamato's break crap, which again has ZERO to do with this toy.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

To be fair, it's not ENTIRELY unrelated to the "My Yamato is fragile" argument, though it should hardly be the rallying cry of the toy. I have a feeling that the fragility and failure rate of yamato figures isn't something Bandai ignored when designing the DX. I'm sure if you took a focus group of Macross toy buying fans and asked them what they wanted, "more sturdy toys that don't break" would be something you'd hear more than twice. A more sturdy design means beefier joints, metal, thicker plastic, all things that will compromise a design if all you wanted was "model-like-perfection".

So no, it's not irrelevant. It's a silly company that doesn't think about the failings of their competitors when making a product and try to improve upon them.

hmmmmm....

It was fun to put the VF-25 together and I love the sculpt but because it takes so much time to complete and because it is so fragile I am considering stopping at this one even though I really want the one with the super parts.

Super parts are to be sold seperately for the model, so you can still get a set without building a whole new model :)

Too bad the Siper parts for the Alto DX are exclusives, I too think it makes it look pretty darn sweet. :D

Chris

Super parts are to be sold seperately for the model, so you can still get a set without building a whole new model :)

Too bad the Siper parts for the Alto DX are exclusives, I too think it makes it look pretty darn sweet. :D

Chris

and you know this how? last I checked there had been an announcement of whether or not the super parts were going to be sold separately for the models. and looking at the model and the pictures of the prototype armor, it doesn't even look possible to mount the armor strait over the finished model like the DX. it looks like it will take a fair amount of part swapping to work.

To be fair, it's not ENTIRELY unrelated to the "My Yamato is fragile" argument, though it should hardly be the rallying cry of the toy. I have a feeling that the fragility and failure rate of yamato figures isn't something Bandai ignored when designing the DX. I'm sure if you took a focus group of Macross toy buying fans and asked them what they wanted, "more sturdy toys that don't break" would be something you'd hear more than twice. A more sturdy design means beefier joints, metal, thicker plastic, all things that will compromise a design if all you wanted was "model-like-perfection".

So no, it's not irrelevant. It's a silly company that doesn't think about the failings of their competitors when making a product and try to improve upon them.

Fair enough, but we don't know...if we ever will.......if the design comprimises had any thing to do sturdiness or where just asthetic choices. I'm looking at you strangely shaped nose cone! :p Unfortunately the "Yamato is fragile" seems to have become the DX supporters rallying cry. I'm not an engineer so I don't know, it just SEEMS like certain liberties where taken regardless of sturdiness needs. I could also imagine that same focus group you mention also saying that they would want "sturdy toys that don't break but still look as accurate as possible." Basically we want to have our cake and eat it too! :p

Chris

Well said Dobber. I really want to see pics of fighter mode with the gunpod attached. I bet a million dollars that the bottom of the gunpod is scraping the floor. I also want to see the rear landing gear deployed as well.

and you know this how? last I checked there had been an announcement of whether or not the super parts were going to be sold separately for the models. and looking at the model and the pictures of the prototype armor, it doesn't even look possible to mount the armor strait over the finished model like the DX. it looks like it will take a fair amount of part swapping to work.

Check the model thread. 3rd to last page I believe. It was also stated in that large macross article from one of the hobby mags that was posted a while back that had the history of macross toy's and models.

Chris

edit: Page 20 of the model thread has the latest info including estimated price.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...8021&st=380

original article I refered to is here with someones translation:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...8021&st=260

Edited by Dobber

oh yeah, almost forgot. I saw this in another thread:

post-4286-1230078275_thumb.jpg

I think I understand why they decided to mount the legs so high up. they needed it up there for fighter mode, and in battroid mode they couldn't have it swing down like the model because it would interfere with the locking mechanism for the. there's a tiny pic right in the middle of the scanned page showing the crotch/hip area of the test shot, you can see how massive the locking mechanism is.

I kind of think it's a good thing since it looks like the hip will be more secure. better than the little tab on the model anyways.

anime52k8, in case you didn't see my edited post. Here is the info you requested.

Page 20 of the model thread has the latest info including estimated price.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...8021&st=380

original article I refered to is here with someones translation:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...8021&st=260

Spoke to a couple of shop keepers here yesterday and they both told me the release date is December 25th in Japan and the toys should be here in Hong Kong by sometime next week.

However, one shop keeper admitted that the Japanese wholesaler he ordered from has only allocated 24pcs to him, even though he ordered 120pcs. Perhaps the demand in Japan is expected to be very high, like with the initial release of the Alto model kit, so Japanese wholesalers are keeping most of the initial stock for the domestic market.

Anyway, attached is a scan from the new February 2009 issue of Dengeki Hobby magazione (out yesterday), which shows that the VF-25S does indeed have a neck, although it could still just be the angle of the pose.

Graham

post-11-1230081332_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the scan Graham. Can't really tell about the neck on Ozma's valk but it does look better in the scan than in previous pics.

The legs/engine nacelles don't come up as high as in the line art but they're definitely placed higher in these images which cuts out the drop between the shield and legs (especially so on the 25G shown in the scan).

EDIT: Even though this month's hobby magazine scans show us the DX 25G in fighter and Gerwalk modes for the first time, we unfortunately will have to wait a little longer to see how the Dragunov sniper rifle looks in fighter mode with the short landing gear.

Also, the biceps on the final production 25S battroid is in a darker shade of gray. The test shot's was in the same light gray as the rest of the arm.

Edited by IXTL

I bet it's impossible for the VF-25G DX toy to rest on it's landing gear with the sniper rifle attached in fighter mode. The sniper rifle is just too big and the landing gear too short and stubby.

I think the model kit may be able to do it and possibly the 1/100 partsformer, but no way the DX toy.

Graham

Concurred to that, there is no "asian" version for this DX unlike the chogokin series where you see HK ver, Singapore ver etc.

there's only the Jap ver for this, stocks around singapore are CUT drastically as well, adding to that, the yen's not doing any good, so expect high prices for this DX line of Mac F toys even more exp for Mikael and Luca's

Edited by izzyfcuk

I think the piece highlighted in the Dengeki scan is a piece that has to be pushed down before completing transformation so that the neck sticks up.

That is similar to model kit where you need to push the piece to the end to make head higher.

Btw OD still listing VF-25G with super for US$144.. so probably get it before it rises (did OD ever raise the price?)

Edited by ntsan

I wonder if they come with sticker sheets, or if all the markings are tampo printed on. Hopefully the latter.

From everything I have seen, there might not be sticker sheets at all. The toy fresh out of the box, still in the plastic bag had a lot of markings already tampoed/painted on, and I have yet to see a sticker sheet, even the instruction manual doesn't show any place to put stickers on, or directions to do so.

More pics!

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Spoke to a couple of shop keepers here yesterday and they both told me the release date is December 25th in Japan and the toys should be here in Hong Kong by sometime next week.

However, one shop keeper admitted that the Japanese wholesaler he ordered from has only allocated 24pcs to him, even though he ordered 120pcs. Perhaps the demand in Japan is expected to be very high, like with the initial release of the Alto model kit, so Japanese wholesalers are keeping most of the initial stock for the domestic market.

Anyway, attached is a scan from the new February 2009 issue of Dengeki Hobby magazione (out yesterday), which shows that the VF-25S does indeed have a neck, although it could still just be the angle of the pose.

Graham

Thanks. In the scan, the release date is stated as being the 27th of December... I wonder which is correct?

I wonder if the oversized 1/72 scale VF-25 model landing gear can be modified to replace what is on the DX. <_< Seriously, once I have my first DX in hand, I will look into the feasibility of modding 1/60 scale (version 1) Yamato VF-1 Valkyrie landing gear (or whatever aircraft landing gear I have in the old parts bucket).

Edited by Wicked Ace

From everything I have seen, there might not be sticker sheets at all. The toy fresh out of the box, still in the plastic bag had a lot of markings already tampoed/painted on, and I have yet to see a sticker sheet, even the instruction manual doesn't show any place to put stickers on, or directions to do so.

More pics!

Hot damn Shin thanks. Where are you getting all of these pictures from?

I am wondering about a few things with this DX toy. The gun holder is detachable, when going from gerwalk to battroid mode, but can it be placed anywhere for storage? Are each of the hands thin enough to fit inside the shield in fighter mode? Going by the instructions, it seems like transformation is straightforward and not complicated at all. It looks great and I have read nothing about breakages or bad qc yet, which is a good thing.