Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.3

Graham

Update news

VF-25S Ozma custom reissue on end of April

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/tjk-net/10003603/

The only one I can find...

I check HLO, hobby serach, noda-ya, nothing find.

so they are just reissuing it? Is there any improvements? :huh:

good review, but some quick comments: there is actually a hip joint and

you can keep the gun hands in when you transform it to jet mode. it's a tight

fit, but can work. the small fins on the shins should be at an angle like the model

so yes, it's a design flaw too.

The head lasers on your toy seem to be pretty straight, good for you! Also, the 'fake' Gerwalk mode is actually the correct gerwalk mode-- you are actually supposed to disconnect the legs in the manual. I also wish Bandai had skipped on the waist joint and just given us a nice streamlined front fuselage in fighter mode.

Edited by edwin3060

I've had my Alto for about a week and a half and it is slowly growing on me. I was as hard on bandai's take on these toys as anyone, and the toy has a certain charm to it. What I would like to see going forward (movie versions), is for them to improve on this toys many shortcomings. Some may not be possible without completely redesigning the toy(But they are a large toy company and this was one of the supposed benefits of them having the license).

1) Extend the neck, make a more secure locking mechanism for the neck plate

2) More acessories for standard versions--Stand, more optional hands, etc

3) improve the landing gear-- longer

4) Improve leg articulation

5) Get rid of the bendy head lasers

6) Find a way to hide the cockpit in battroid mode

7) Add a sticker sheet--I love the no step stickers

I've had my Alto for about a week and a half and it is slowly growing on me. I was as hard on bandai's take on these toys as anyone, and the toy has a certain charm to it. What I would like to see going forward (movie versions), is for them to improve on this toys many shortcomings. Some may not be possible without completely redesigning the toy(But they are a large toy company and this was one of the supposed benefits of them having the license).

1) Extend the neck, make a more secure locking mechanism for the neck plate

2) More acessories for standard versions--Stand, more optional hands, etc

3) improve the landing gear-- longer

4) Improve leg articulation

5) Get rid of the bendy head lasers

6) Find a way to hide the cockpit in battroid mode

7) Add a sticker sheet--I love the no step stickers

Good suggestions. I think only 2, 4, 5 and 7 are possible though. As for one, there already is a way to lock the neck plate in place, just look at some earlier posts in this thread, and I don't see how they could extend the neck easily without compromising fighter mode. For 3, they'd have to make the landing gear bays longer, especially for the front gear, and I don't really see that happening. As for 6, even for the 1/72 the Cockpit is exposed, so I think that is a design issue more than anything else.

Good suggestions. I think only 2, 4, 5 and 7 are possible though. As for one, there already is a way to lock the neck plate in place, just look at some earlier posts in this thread, and I don't see how they could extend the neck easily without compromising fighter mode. For 3, they'd have to make the landing gear bays longer, especially for the front gear, and I don't really see that happening. As for 6, even for the 1/72 the Cockpit is exposed, so I think that is a design issue more than anything else.

Yeah, I think most of the problems are design flaws. I've been really dissapointed in this line since it bears the DX chogokin label. All of my other dx chogokins came packaged with tons of acessories and stands.

Yeah, I think most of the problems are design flaws. I've been really dissapointed in this line since it bears the DX chogokin label. All of my other dx chogokins came packaged with tons of acessories and stands.

I find it surprising that some of Bandai's FIX line include extra antennae, but they didn't include any with the DX's.

the bandai has become an eventual buy for me rather than an immediate buy. I like it enough that I know I want it, but I don't feel that I need it right now. Also, I know the Super Packs are coming out soon, but what about the Full Armor? That is what I really want.

Maybe Alto's, but I hope they do not dare do that to Ozma's.

Well, they 'dared' to release Alto's Super pack as an exclusive even though he is most often shown with it. I'd think for the Armour packs either both would be exclusive or neither would be. Alternatively they could release it exclusive now and together after the movie, which I suspect they might be doing for the Super packs-- with the movie version VF-25F of course :p

I know this is a rather premature question, but any hint if the Luca RVF-25 will be released with superpack and ghost companion like the model kit?

Super Pack, yes. Both Michael and Luca's will have the super packs be included by default.

Ghost, no... at least not from everything I've read. The ghost companions are to be included with the web exclusive add on packs that also include some extra missiles for Luca's version.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

thanks...that's rather lame from Bandai...I don't care about the DX but was hoping of getting one of those ghost companion to mod into a 1/60 X-9 to join the YF-21 and YF-19 and upcoming VF-11

Well, if the ghost is all you're really after, then this actually works out better for you since you wouldn't have to get the valkyrie and could just get the add on pack when it becomes available at places like overdrive. While it might still be expensive, it would be cheaper than a valkyrie at least.

I guess that depends on how much value you put on the attributes of a toy. If you value playability over appearance, then it probably is worth it. If you value appearance more and don't plan on playing with it, then it may not seem worth it. However, if you want a version of the VF-25 that's more or less in scale with the 1/60 Yamato toys you may already have, this is really the only option as the likelihood that some other company will be able to make it is pretty much nil so if you really want a VF-25 in your collection, you'd just have to bite the bullet despite the fact you feel you're overpaying, imo.

I'm of that last category where I value the appearance more than playability as I just display the stuff I collect rather than play with them so I prefer to have the stuff look good rather than being easy and fun to transform and such. Unfortunately, I feel they made a play toy at a collector price, but that didn't stop me from buying Luca and Michael versions (they were the best looking of the bunch and came with fast packs already). I guess that just makes me a consumer whore :p

Edited by MacrossJunkie

I guess people tend to feel that way because mainly on how yamato basically has hit a nice balance between looks and playability. Honestly though, compare how long it took yamato vs bandai. Other than the chunky Valkyries, they haven't ventured much in terms of macross. People are always gonna be disappointed, but I say, give bandai some more time and their toys will get alot better. Bandai does gundam mainly anyway.

is the DX really worth the price? i still think they made too many mistakes for that price range...

untitled.jpg

I saw the prices on Japanese sites, and some of them are offering 25% discounts.

Only us who live overseas have to pay dearly for them.

At under 10000 yen, I think that's acceptable.

BTW, the head of the model head can held much higher than that in the above photo to be anime-accurate!

Edited by ff95gj

Hi Guys:

Finally got my replacement vf-25s, made some modifications over the weekend, and I am quite happy with it. Thought I share it with you guys:

1.) Vf-25S have a fully transformable extention neck.

*Mod made with revotech single ball joint (small)

Back of the vf-25s neck have been grind down so that the ball joint fits retract in it during transformation (see pic 4 and 5)

Also, with the neck extention, I find it alot easier to transform, because the head does not get in the way.

2.) vf-25F have a hip mod.

*I have grind the hip a little bit, so that it can achieve a much more aggresive "A-stance" (see comparison between stock and mod pic 14)

Enjoy!

The vf-25 looks very good now IMO.

p.s. I also find that the vf-25 dx have a waist that is rotatable, and can bend forward.

post-3663-1234850554_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850568_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850580_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850592_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850608_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850622_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850638_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850654_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850666_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850680_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850699_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850713_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850726_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850737_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850748_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850760_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234850771_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234851405_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1234854723_thumb.jpg

Edited by vf_1s

Is that wild conjecture, an educated speculation, or some inside knowledge?

There are things Graham knows. There are things Graham cannot say. And then there are things Graham just says to mess with your head. ^_^

The DX is worth it if you don't want a display piece. The 1/72 model kit is a display piece. Now you can wait for the 1/100s but those aren't perfect (i.e. they're part-formers). It really comes down to what you want out of the DX that will decide whether think it's worth your money.