Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.3

Graham

i really wonder why the bandai DX vf-25 suffers so much in terms of accuracy. there is simply no denying a better job could have been done. just look at the model kit vf-25 and i dont even have to say more. that's why probably graham's story about the china design team makes sense.

The look of the toys make it obvious that the direction for the toys was not anime accuracy, and it was not because of an inability to do so or because a Chinese team may have been farmed out to design it. It's more than likely because the toys went the direction of looking how Kawamori originally intended the 25 to look like(slender fighter mode, thick battroid mode). It is obvious that Bandai and crew could have made an anime accurate toy, but they went another route. One big clue to this is how the VF100s VF-25 toy, with swappable parts, could have easily had the anime accurate crotch piece/placement, yet didn't and followed it's bigger brother. So no being designed possibly by the chinese design team doesn't bear any relevance towards that. Not to mention Kawamori approved it, and he is a hard to get approval from, so obviously Bandai and co did something he liked with the designs. You have to take into account that the VF-25 design in the anime didn't please everyone, and I particularly like the thicker look of the DX compared to the much more skinnny anime design. The VF-25 in the anime looks like a variable fighter from Virtual On more than it looks like something out of Macross.

You are right, the model team did everything right. Even delivered more than you could expect from a model. Perfect transformation.

The DX however is an old 1/72 yamato in 1/60 scale.

Either you have never handled a 1/72 Yamato, don't remember at all what it was like, or are using more than a bit of hyperbole. While the DX is far from perfect, it's 100x more playable than the Yamato 1/72s were and much better looking while being more complicated.

Either you have never handled a 1/72 Yamato, don't remember at all what it was like, or are using more than a bit of hyperbole. While the DX is far from perfect, it's 100x more playable than the Yamato 1/72s were and much better looking while being more complicated.

I have the YF-21/FP which can't hold a pose worth a damn but has a decent sculpt and the VF-11/FP which was very sturdy and tight. The huge shoulder joint wasn't a high point of the toy but that it is an old toy built to a price without CAD and large doses of anime magic.

The DX isn't a collectors grade toy, It's just a toy.

Did Kawamori approve the old Bandai 1/65 M7 toys? Bandai is giving you all the money so you don't tend to stick it to the man.

I would imagine he did approve the old 1/65 M7 toys. Not good to use today's standards for yesterday's toys.

Let's not forget, he himself designed the basic form for the old 1/55 chunky monkey.

The DX isn't a collectors grade toy, It's just a toy

To be fair, not all collectors share the same values.

Edited by Vifam7

To be fair, not all collectors share the same values.

I don't think a broken toy has all that much collectible value, myself :lol:

The 1/72 Yamatos were terrible. Take the YF-19; ludicrously mismatched paint colors, flakey metal, 80's style straight-down hips and gaping maws where knees should be, easily broken ... comparison of that thing to the DX is just downright ridiculous :p

I got my VF-25S at friday.. and.. it came with the screw problem.. the FU** screw is broken at half so it's inaccesible for been removed ..

I really don't know why all says "hey bandai has a better QC than yamato"..

i have never had a problem with my Yamatos when i take it out of the box, but now i do take out my bandai and the arm falls down. really bad

*sorry if my english os not good.

I got my VF-25S at friday.. and.. it came with the screw problem.. the FU** screw is broken at half so it's inaccesible for been removed ..

The VF-25S has the same problem too? O_O Darn, I just ordered mine, and it should be here in a few days... Not so sure if I'm looking forward to opening it. :/

Best to remove all shoulder screws the moment you get the figure and replace them.

Edited by OmegaD3k

The VF-25S has the same problem too? O_O Darn, I just ordered mine, and it should be here in a few days... Not so sure if I'm looking forward to opening it. :/

Best to remove all shoulder screws the moment you get the figure and replace them.

Strange. I haven't seen a single note about broken screws on the Japanese boards. But this is like the 4th time I've seen this issue pop up here.

Perhaps some dealers are getting a bad lot?

Edited by Vifam7

To be fair, if the shoulder broke and I live in japan I would just go back to the toy shop and get it replaced with a brand new one.

Unfortunately outside of japan it's not as easy. Overdrive made it a bit easier but it's still expensive and long delays are involved.

Besides, we tend to whine a lot more.

To be fair, if the shoulder broke and I live in japan I would just go back to the toy shop and get it replaced with a brand new one.

Unfortunately outside of japan it's not as easy. Overdrive made it a bit easier but it's still expensive and long delays are involved.

Besides, we tend to whine a lot more.

I would think that the whining here would scale down if people could just get their broken out of box Yamatos and Bandais exchanged a few blocks away the next business day. We whine cause there's not much else we can do about it.

Also... Regardless of who designed, or who approved the VF-25, or even what direction/audience they were aiming for, it doesn't change that the DX just doesn't visually meet the standard I expected. It's not a brand bias, I just call it as I see it. Yamato's VF-11 is coming out, and I'm nearly as unimpressed. That's before even considering the potential avalanche of Yamato QC issues.

If it is an entire Chinese or inexperienced team that put together the VF-25 DX, my first thoughts be: it was actually a pretty good job for an inexperienced team. But if they plan to do more in this sort of economy-style, they should try to make it cheaper.

Edited by Cent

It was bound to happen, given that the VF-25S and F were made of all the same parts except the head.

Wow, another one with a broken screws. Sigh, I'm not sure if I should continue on with my preorder of the Michael and Luca custom from HLJ anymore after hearing all this bad new.

Normally, I would take the risk, but Michael and Luca is one EXPENSIVE toys with each cost up to about $200 a piece >.<

Edited by rikuharada

Overall, we've had, what, 4 reports of broken screws, 3 25Fs and 1 25S on this forum. Compare this against the poll where 20% (thats 37 people in hard numbers) of VF-1v2 buyers had broken parts, I'd say thats pretty good. Not to mention the 4 or 5 posts in that poll where people who previously voted perfect now had broken shoulders. We've also had no reports of the VF-25 shoulders being broken in the box, which, given the ultra tight left shoulder ball joint on some toys, could mean that some of them were just forcing the part too much causing failure.

I'd say mountains out of molehills is the correct analogy.

At the moment, I've got my VF-25S DX and VF-25F DX displayed on top of my bedroom TV. One is in always in fighter mode and the other in battroid mode and I transform them between fighter and battroid about every two days. I don't bother with Gerwalk mode as a), I don't think the DX has a good looking Gerwalk mode and b), in Gerwalk, the DX is not stable enough IMO. For a display cabinet OK, but not perched on top of a TV, with a 4ft drop to a hard wooden floor.

Anyway, last night I transformed the VF-25S from battroid to fighter and instead of resting it on it's landing gears, I decided to display it on one of my flexi-stands (square base, medium length prong version), on top of the TV. Big mistake.

I had two of the prongs on the fighters legs, just inboard of the ventral fins and the front prong just ahead of the gunpod muzzle. The fighter was at about a 20-25 degree upward angle. I positioned the fighter on the stand and it seemed stable enough, but within a minute of getting into bed to watch TV it suddendly slid backward off the stand and toppled to the floor with a loud crash.

Needless to say, I jumped up immediately, fearing the worst, but thankfully, although the fighter had come unlocked and the shield and gunpod had popped off, there was no damage at all, not even any paint scratching.

Tough toy.

Graham

Drifand, thanks for another GORGEOUS pic! I'm glad to see someone still loves the old Yamato die-casts... the 21 looks good but doesn't stand up great, but the 19 is a total blast... just like the new 25, it doesn't strive for nazi anime accuracy, but tries to be a fricken fun toy, and I've always thought it succeeded.

Just got Ozma's 25. He has "enough" neck to make one happy. :) Just have to play around with the shoulder and chest plates a bit.

Almost all the production photos have the chest and shoulder pieces mistransformed, making the neck appear non existent.

These are straight out of the box shots, no modifications at all:

ozuma_neck.jpg

The neck looks longer in real life, about the same length as a Yammie YF19.

No broken shoulders yet. (loosened the screws just in case)

Edited by OmegaD3k