New Forum Idea

I've had this idea bouncing around my head for years now for a new forum, I figured I might as well share the idea and see what everyone thinks.

I am a Macross collector above all else. I not only collect toys and models, but also books, posters, video tapes, laser disks, records, cd's, wallets, pencil boards, postcards, trading cards, stickers, knick-knacks, odds n' ends, and minutiae. I never felt there was a forum to specifically discuss my love of collecting all things Macross. Of course there is a forum for toys, games, and models, but a poster is not a toy and a record is not a model kit and a trading card is not a video game.

Upon its inception, I viewed Macross World as sort of collectors archive, cataloging all the various collectibles and merchandising around Macross. The forums shortly took over and we've hardly seen an update on the main website in years outside of toys, models, and video games. I still come here to share knowledge of all Macross collectibles and to enhance my collection with buying and trading and I think there is a fair-sized minority of Macross fans who also enjoy sharing or learning about general Macross collecting.

So what do the Admins think about a Macross Collectors Corner for things non-toy/game/model?

Thanks for your consideration :)

I absolutely love that idea.

Thing was, I didn't know there WAS much interest other than toys and models. Most collectors don't really go outside of that boundary. Posters perhaps, but that would be the extent. Who else collects Macross dishtowels, shoes, swimming innnertubes, and chopsticks? (I do!). Everytime I display such oddities at MW Con I always get the-"Uhmm, very cool Shawn", and then the crook eye and raised eyebrow questioning my sanity.

The new site format incorparates all these items, but there isn't any place to discuss.

Would you fold it into one of the other areas (Macross Broadcasting System,OverTechnology Think Tank) or would it be its own entity?

Would there be subtopics or just one big area? (records, posters,...)

Would there be a wanted section there too? (missing card AL-43 to AL-47...please help)

Shawn

I like the idea, but couldn't a button be added to the user's name that says "My Collection"? This way collection pics wont be lost with all the posting of new pics, and the user can update periodically or delete pics as needed.

Thats a good idea. Sort of a seperate aspect to a member profile?

Also, maybe members could start and update their own individual threads in the Collectors Corner to show off their collections. Many forums allow this.

Edited by Totoro242

Thing was, I didn't know there WAS much interest other than toys and models. Most collectors don't really go outside of that boundary. Posters perhaps, but that would be the extent. Who else collects Macross dishtowels, shoes, swimming innnertubes, and chopsticks? (I do!). Everytime I display such oddities at MW Con I always get the-"Uhmm, very cool Shawn", and then the crook eye and raised eyebrow questioning my sanity.

Thats only because I have yet to attend a MW con ;)

Would you fold it into one of the other areas (Macross Broadcasting System,OverTechnology Think Tank) or would it be its own entity?

Would there be subtopics or just one big area? (records, posters,...)

Would there be a wanted section there too? (missing card AL-43 to AL-47...please help)

Shawn

I would suggest adding it to OverTechnology Think Tank. This way you could roll topics such as "Display Your Collections" thread, "1/48+fp's, 1/60, And 1/72 Picture Gallery Pt 3", and "Fugliest Toy" thread into the Collectors Corner so as to not gum up the serious toys discussions ;)

I think one big area would suffice. It would maybe include things like a thread for records, a thread for posters, a thread for laser disks, etc; individual collector's threads; and things like "What is this thing?" and general questions abut collectibles.

There is the Wanted forum already, but I think trading topics should be allowed in this new forum. Like you mentioned a thread on trading cards or trading vending machine toys would be totally cool.

I just want to voice my support for this project and give my reasons:

I am NOT a collector of non-figure/model Macross stuff, but I sure wanna be! :)

I really would love the Alto Macross Frontier Shirt and would probably love other clothing items and apparel as well. Thing is, I can't find any place where they are broadly discussed, and where fans show off their pictures of this kind of stuff - and this kind of keeps me from buying them because I have no info on it.

So it's like a vicious circle - no one talks about it, so people like me who might be interested don't know anything about it and have no formal place on the forum to ask :)

So yeah - do make the topic and do share your stuff and your thoughts.

Also - I don't know whether this is true for the majority of fans, but since I live in a part of the World where I am the only one selling stuff like this, you can imagine that it's pretty scarce around here :) So I have to pick and choose wisely in terms of what I'd like to buy, because I can't just go down to the local hobby shop and browse around, let alone go to whereever it is our fellow Asian-dwelling members get their stuff.

So - yeah - looking forward to this part of the forum going online and I think it's a great idea.

Pete

Starting a new collectors corner sounds great but maybe we should also somehow consider upgrading or intergrating the website's toys, models, collectibles etc. section. This has been neglected for some time now and I am willing to help out in any way I can!

this sounds like a very cool idea.

i'd love to have a Macross dining set (plates, placemats, utensils), a Macross towel, Macross bedroom slippers etc. (maybe Macross speedos ^_^ ...not)...

but where does one find these things??? hmmmm, maybe i'll try a local "personalize it" shop. :D

Edited by m0n5t3r

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from christmas vacation and am beat.

Created the Collectors area-its in the think tank

Should all talk about macross products (except toys,models, and games) go there? What about dvds and such-they are currently in the series section.

We just need to identify clear lines of demarcation so there is no confusion where to post something

Let me know what you think!

Shawn

Just got back from christmas vacation and am beat.

Created the Collectors area-its in the think tank

Should all talk about macross products (except toys,models, and games) go there? What about dvds and such-they are currently in the series section.

We just need to identify clear lines of demarcation so there is no confusion where to post something

Let me know what you think!

Shawn

Excellant quandry.

I suppose the line would be whether the item in discussion is in print or in production as opposed to being vintage or out of production. Example; Yamato 1/48 toys are technically still in production, but 1/60 v.1.0 and 1/72 Macross Plus are not? Would vintage or OOP toy talk stay in Toys or Collectors? I'd like to talk about vintage eraser toys, but I don't think folks in the toys forum would care...

Excellant quandry.

Agreed.

I suppose the line would be whether the item in discussion is in print or in production as opposed to being vintage or out of production. Example; Yamato 1/48 toys are technically still in production, but 1/60 v.1.0 and 1/72 Macross Plus are not? Would vintage or OOP toy talk stay in Toys or Collectors? I'd like to talk about vintage eraser toys, but I don't think folks in the toys forum would care...

Also, what about non-macross related material, figures, etc?- Would those discussions move from other subforums to here, Or are we keeping it all Macross related? Would that also mean the gallery threads of people's personal collections move here as well?

Agreed.

Also, what about non-macross related material, figures, etc?- Would those discussions move from other subforums to here, Or are we keeping it all Macross related? Would that also mean the gallery threads of people's personal collections move here as well?

All non Macross related discussions go in the other anime and scifi section. We try to keep the focus on Macross as much as we can.