The Disgruntled Anime Fan: The Robotech Macross Mystery

Einherjar

He's only NOW discovering Macross? After all the hub-bub surrounding MacII, Mac Plus, and Frontier? And he thinks it's some kind of mystery???

Hell, even a quick jaunt to Robotech.com would've told him the truth...

Someone get a tourniquet, Disgruntled Anime Fan is hemorrhaging credibility...

He's only NOW discovering Macross? After all the hub-bub surrounding MacII, Mac Plus, and Frontier? And he thinks it's some kind of mystery???

Hell, even a quick jaunt to Robotech.com would've told him the truth...

From the narration, it sounds like he was introduced to Robotech on Toonami, liked it and probably got pissed when he found out the history regarding Macross and the like. He might be disgruntled about either version or both.

From the narration, it sounds like he was introduced to Robotech on Toonami, liked it and probably got pissed when he found out the history regarding Macross and the like. He might be disgruntled about either version or both.

No doubt.

But still, to act like it's some kind of mystery is a little silly.

As quoted from his comments:

This video is not aimed really at the hard core fan so much as the modern generation of anime fans who don't really know about the series, I think of my self as a second fan, as I wasn't born when the series originally aired, as I will explain to you in the full video coming later, as I first saw the Macross saga when it aired on Toonami in the 90's. And as for the opening this is the version from the episode Booby Trap I had, which I pulled from VHS.

I don't remember any version of the opening having such crappy generic sound effects throughout.

So he wants to inform new fans about something they could learn from better informed sources. This ought to be somewhat amusing. All from a guy that rates Godanner as the number 5 best super mecha series all because of ever increasing breast sizes. :rolleyes: Though he does list Gunbuster as number two, even if he goes on about the characters being some prototype for Evangelion...

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

So he wasntsa to inform new fans about something they could learn from better informed sources. This ought to be somewhat amusing. All from a guy that rates Godanner as the number 5 best super mecha series all because of ever increasing breast sizes. :rolleyes: Though he does list Gunbuster as number two, even if he goes on about the characters being some prototype for Evangelion...

Meh.

As far as nutjobs go, he's no Doug Bendo.

I don't know about you, but I think I'll have to look elsewhere to find a REAL trainwreck of human folly. :p

Meh.

As far as nutjobs go, he's no Doug Bendo.

I don't know about you, but I think I'll have to look elsewhere to find a REAL trainwreck of human folly. :p

Oh, I never said he was a nutjob, so I'll agree that there's far worse. Some have even been a little too close to home. :rolleyes:^_^

Quote from a reply he made to a comment "And as for the opening this is the version from the episode Booby Trap I had, which I pulled from VHS. " umm he lies? That's the opening for the protoculture collection DVD huh! or he ripped it off TV. (they used that opening on Space not sure about toonami, I only ever saw the toonami short opening).

Though he does list Gunbuster as number two, even if he goes on about the characters being some prototype for Evangelion...

Actually... there were themes that carry over from Gunbuster to Eva, and people do generally view Jung as the "Proto-Asuka", interesting fact Jung's Seiyuu voices Asuka's mother, I think that was intentional. But that and a view general themes, are all that they share in common.

Actually... there were themes that carry over from Gunbuster to Eva, and people do generally view Jung as the "Proto-Asuka", interesting fact Jung's Seiyuu voices Asuka's mother, I think that was intentional. But that and a view general themes, are all that they share in common.

Nadia was definately far more of a proto-Evangelion, hell, it even has Adam. I'd love to see Anno take a new stab at Nadia, without any of the meddling that hampered the TV series (island episodes, africa episodes, etc). Despite all the sabotage, it still stands as a beautiful series.

Nadia was definately far more of a proto-Evangelion, hell, it even has Adam. I'd love to see Anno take a new stab at Nadia, without any of the meddling that hampered the TV series (island episodes, africa episodes, etc). Despite all the sabotage, it still stands as a beautiful series.

Maybe so, but I don't think there is any denying of the proto-Asuka!

Other then that some common themes (but which show up in all of Anno's work), the concept of "service". There's more, but not anymore then you'd expect from any two works in the same genre from the same director and screenwriter.

But there is no denying Proto-Asuka in all her glory, who begat Asuka, by playing her mother in Eva!

No seriously every Gainax offical crossover I've ever seen has pit Jung against Asuka, I'm sure that at least is intentional.

Edited by lord_breetai

Maybe so, but I don't think there is any denying of the proto-Asuka!

Other then that some common themes (but which show up in all of Anno's work), the concept of "service". There's more, but not anymore then you'd expect from any two works in the same genre from the same director and screenwriter.

But there is no denying Proto-Asuka in all her glory, who begat Asuka, by playing her mother in Eva!

No seriously every Gainax offical crossover I've ever seen has pit Jung against Asuka, I'm sure that at least is intentional.

As much as Jung is proto-Asuka, Electra is proto-Ritsuko, with the Nadia & Nemo relationship also sharing much in common with Shinji & Gendo. Hell, the situation with the Blue Water & Nadia's mother also heavily mirrors that of Eva-01 & Shinji's mother. Fuyutski is like a negative (or positive if you will) version of Gargoyle, with Neo Atlantis & their goals being not to different from Seele. Nerv, including its fate, mirrors much of what happened to the Nautilus, and I suppose Misato would most closely resemble Grandis.

Much of what made Eva great was built up from Nadia, perhaps it was Anno trying to save what would have been his masterwork in the only way he could, by taking the base framework & re-using it in something that was more under his control. Looking at Anno's other works (including the live action ones), we know he's perfectly capable of telling other stories, I think it was just that he wanted to take another stab at telling that one, and did so in the guise of making an entirely different show.

Which reminds me, I really do need to get around to watching Shikjitsu.

Edited by Keith

Oh I'm well aware of that. He merely states it as though it were an overbearing presence. It's the most he says about it.

Well then, beating it some more won't do any harm, will it? :D

Agreed. When you have comments posted by people with usernames like SaveRobotech and zormaster the horse stands to be beaten a little more. :D I'd say the horse is not dead as long as HG is still around, so let's all beat the horse shall we. Just wait until the movie comes out.

Agreed. When you have comments posted by people with usernames like SaveRobotech and zormaster the horse stands to be beaten a little more. :D I'd say the horse is not dead as long as HG is still around, so let's all beat the horse shall we. Just wait until the movie comes out.

To be fair SaveRobotech changed his name to just Save after he saw the light, and I dont think Zormaster has posted here in quite some time.

This guy is an anime fan/Robotech fan who is only now discovering Macross? This is the internet (and geekdom)! You'd couldn't go three clicks without some sensitive, knee-jerking Macross/Robotech fan ramming the difference down your throat with all the social grace of the worst basement dwelling shut in. :p

Seriously, every major anime and non-anime information website has spelled out the difference for years. AnimeNewsNetwork, Animenation's Ask John, AnimeonDVD (or whatever it is now), Wikipedia, "Macross" World, Robotech.com, etc. I mean, who is left of the people that actually care that doesn't know the difference by now?

I don't post quotes in my signature, but if I did, this quote above would be the winner. Bloody brilliant :)

Edited by Mr March

Well since he states he wants to be Angry Video Game Nerd of Anime or something... it seems he's not trying to convey new information but have nerd rage to comic effect... briefly watched enough of the pokemon review just now to see that he fails. I mean we don't need AVGN to tell us that Superman 64 sucks, but he does it anyway... So this isn't about readily available information or not, I'm sure it didn't take this guy long to learn the shocking truth of Robotech DUN DUN DUN!!! But that he thinks he can be funny by bitching about it.

oh well, everyone needs a hobby.