Jumping the gun

2 things ticked me off today. 1 i get a PM saying my avatar is too big. It is animated but it fits within the 128X128 parameters set and its gif size is well under the 200. Yet i get a PM telling me its too large. I double checked the thing MONTHS ago before i even attempted to upload it. I know if the avatar is beyond the set limits it will not allow you to link to it or upload it. I play by the rules here so i dont have to get BS PMs like this and have threads locked.

2 A thread i made for an upcoming WIP thread is locked. Nobody asked or commented just up and locked. What is going on here. I dont spam. Usually if i start a thread its going to amount to something. Who is the new mod in the models section? Or does someone just have a grudge agaist me. I dont normally start trouble here.

Edited by HWR MKII

1) Your Avatar file size is 566kb. Do a right click property and it says it right there. You're over. See the attached screen shot.

2) No idea. Wasn't me.

As to 1. Yes i just discovered that. I wet to the source file at photobucket. For some reason the forums wouldnt allow me to see the size. For this i apologize.

On point 2 could you unlock the thread for me please so i can make a comment that it will be a WIP seperate from teh "official" thread? The "official thread is just way too big for me to get info on the kit well. So if anyone has any pointers from their experience that could help me in my build it would be great if they could post there. This way i will actually see their info and thers can follow along in my build. Nobody has doe a straight build of one of these yet ad what im doing could be informative. WM Cheng has done a build but his was partly started before hand.

I just went and found the closed thread---I'm betting it was closed due to looking like (frankly) every other 1-post thread about the kit. There's no indication of it going to be eventually be a review, build, or anything else. It's just a fairly random post saying "hey guys, I just ordered it". And nothing more.

If you'd put what you just posted here in that thread (about it going to be a straight-build, etc, with tips) it probably wouldn't have been locked.

i went ahead and unlocked it. Don't know why it was locked but looking forward to the build up.

Just FYI, no mods is officially in charge of any forum. we just happen to divvy up in a way that seemed to make sense.

No go forth and modelize!

I just made up that word! woohoo!

I just went and found the closed thread---I'm betting it was closed due to looking like (frankly) every other 1-post thread about the kit. There's no indication of it going to be eventually be a review, build, or anything else. It's just a fairly random post saying "hey guys, I just ordered it". And nothing more.

If you'd put what you just posted here in that thread (about it going to be a straight-build, etc, with tips) it probably wouldn't have been locked.

I can see that. I was going to go and edit it earlier to reflect this but hey it was locked.

• 4 weeks later...

i made a post yesterday or the day before in the fan works section. it was a really random drawing i had seen on a non-related board, but it did have a yf-19 and the macross in it. there were a couple of responses, and before i could even reply, the thread was gone. i can't find it in my posts, so i am assuming a mod deleted it. the picture was large, but i hotlinked it so it wouldn't use much of the board's resources. i'm self-conscious about posting here as it is, and this really doesn't help. was there a reason?

Well looking at the deleted thread (yes us staff people can do that) I can see a few objectionable items at a glance.

1) bare-breasted schoolgirl being impaled from above/below with blood spewing out from the points of entry/exit.

2) this image is super long (17700px)and the payoff is....150px? Partial cockpit section of YF19, think I see a 3cm tall hazy image of the SDF1

As an art project it's an interesting combination of images using a central theme. Seen stuff like this before but to classify this image as a Macross fanwork project? I don't see it at all. This image is like those online videos you watch and suddenly a screaming face/loud voice appears. There's no, in this case Macross, substance to it.

But I could be wrong. Exactly how would you describe that image as a Macross fanwork?

it's a work of "art" by a person who likes macross enough to include some central mecha in their drawing. i don't see why the payoff size is of importance. it's a messageboard, not real estate. i'm a macross fan and thought the picture was interesting if nothing else. there is not a random picture post that i know of and i wouldn't want to clutter it with a very long image if there was. that's why i gave it it's own topic in what i deemed the most appropriate section. with all of the arguing, picture quoting, complaining, and borderline pedo stuff that goes on on this board, it's just silly that a post like mine would be deleted.

This image is like those online videos you watch and suddenly a screaming face/loud voice appears. There's no, in this case Macross, substance to it.

there may be little mac substance to it, but it's still there. it's nothing like those online videos. the purpose was not to scare someone or shock you with macross imagery.

You need to address point 1 which is covered under the rules. (2# No graphic or vulgar descriptions/depictions of sex or sexual content).

Defending yourself with arguments, "it's not as bad as the other stuff that goes on like the pedo images" doesn't work. You need to argue why the image YOU uploaded deserving to stay, because you're arguing to the wrong mod about the pedo images because I shut those down as soon as I'm aware of them.

if that's what the issue is then fine. i didn't notice the bare breast and i couldn't go back for reference since the post was deleted along with the link to the picture (i had to search the original board for 20 minutes to find the image again :wacko: ). i'm happy to comply with board rules and a simple pm after deletion would have prevented this exchange.

out of curiosity, if i had censored the "sexual content", would the post have been allowed to stay? i won't make another post regarding this issue as i'm not trying to antagonize.

thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

Bare breasts aren't the issue. It's what was being done to that schoolgirl that was the issue. As for whether the image itself would have remained even after censoring....unlikely as there may have been other issues noticed from the staff who closed the thread and the ones who remarked in the thread before deletion.

I think most of us internet savvy folks already know what the image in question already is.... the infamous longcat. It has so little to do with macross its not even funny. seriously.. its just 4chan nonsense.

To be honest (and please do not think i'm getting at you), if i was a mod on a forum this was posted in (any forum, not just macross), i would just delete it for spamming - taking up too much space and being damned annoying to scroll through.

dont mean to cause anyone any offense, just my 2 cents.

EDIT - now i come to think of it... this is..

zardoz6.jpg

...pants. heheheh besides, ceiling cat was always cooler.

Edited by vermillion01

Thanks for hijacking and perverting my thread guys. This was not what i had intended. Im surprised it wasnt locked once the matter i had was settled. Mods you can lock this now. While Zardoz wasnt a bad film that screen grab is in bad taste.

err, I don't think a thread about picture featuring a giant cat anally penetrating and then erupting out of an underage school girl's head can really be "perverted" by a picture of a guy in a loin cloth and bandoleers. But hey, thanks for the moral outrage. I'm glad someone is thinking of the children. :p

While we're on the subject, I'll state my opinion - and please notice it has many equally important components:

1. I respect the choice of the moderators to er on the side of caution, and to maintain a family friendly forum in order to reach a broad audience. I also respect that certain sensibilities exist in American society (and not only) regarding what is appropriate and what is not.

2. I strongly disagree with these sensibilities and believe them to be an excessive prudishness that does not understand the role of art in human society. "Obscenity" is a word which, if you look at its' roots, come from the Latin and meant - literally - "For the Scene/Stage." It was used in Rome to mean "meant only to be shown on the stage" - aka - in the form of theater or art. Obscene things are things which we cannot and ought not do in "real" life, but which MUST be done in fiction - in the realm of art, theater, literature, books etc because that is the proper place for them to be explored. I find it ridiculous to get upset over the portrayal of a fictional situation - no matter how brutal or erotic - as if the situation were somehow real; as if the mere fictional portrayal of the situation within the context of a work of art were as immoral as the actual practice of the thing. Furthermore, insofar as the portrayal of certain things is an attack on the sensibilities of people, it ought not be blamed for being so. Art does not exist to make people smile - its' purpose is to rouse them to think; to shock them, to make them examine their conventional beliefs. If we allow conventional beliefs to limit the scope of the arts, then arts merely become a reflection of the unreflective, conventional life - this is not good because unexamined conventions are not always as good as we think they are.

3. Having said all of that - the purpose of Macross world is to enjoy Macross, and to a large extent, I think it would be appropriate to ask that the "limits" that mods place on the content of this site be similar to the limits set by the Macross franchise itself plus the bounds of common sense. I think that's what - by and large - happens.

4. I don't think the thread was highjacked. Better to have this thread be an open place for people to make such remarks and questions regarding what is and is not appropriate than for there to be a million little threads essentially asking the same thing "boo hoo why did the mods do x,y and z"

Pete