New macross saga based movie (Robotech Genesis)

The style is not that bad...

Yes... this may (or will be...) trash talk on my part because I am going to nick pick at it right now.

• 1. What's with the handle bars behind the mech... and why launch like a Gundam... Is this Space Macross?

2. Does this occur after "ahem" Invade Invasion (Mospeada 21) or a retelling of the series?

3. I found this URL http://www.robotech.united-earth-group.com/ and wonder if this is has any relation to the posted link above.

Edited by Dangaioh

A while back these guys were all over the place, talking about how bad Shadow Chronicles was, criticizing the animation quality and how long it took to get made. They said when their project was was released we'd see how awesome a fan project could be compared to the official product.

That was spring of 2007. They said the movie was going to be out in October of 2007.

I guess they revised the date after that:

http://robotech.united-earth-group.com/con...65/129/lang,en/

Maybe that's a typo and they meant April 2009? ;p

A while back these guys were all over the place, talking about how bad Shadow Chronicles was, criticizing the animation quality and how long it took to get made. They said when their project was was released we'd see how awesome a fan project could be compared to the official product.

That was spring of 2007. They said the movie was going to be out in October of 2007.

Simple rule to apply:

Fanfic / Fan productions = non-canon CRAP!

And that goes for anything.

Maybe that pesky "real life" thing got in the way for them. You know the drill....jobs, bills, families.

Simple rule to apply:

but this is robotech were talking about. the whole series is non-canon CRAP. it might have a chance to be better than it's source material at least.

also sometimes fanfics can be good, it's just rare.

:edit:

having viewed some of the teaser material though, I think it's going to fail heavily

Edited by anime52k8

Simple rule to apply:

Except most people who write your canon are most likely fans.

Just because something isn't official doesn't automatically make it crap.

There are thousands of fanfics out there that are on par if not better than the real stuff in several mediums.

Fan-works most definitely do not always equate to crap. I still recall the excitement in SW fandom when those high quality fan-made films came out years ago:

http://www.theforce.net/fanfilms/

I'm not saying that all fanfilms are carp, some are well made and interesting, usually funny. BUt this peice of drech, no thanks, I can't stand what I see when I look at it, especially the mechanical designs, many of which were the hallmark of Macross. Sorry but I will pass so far away from this thing I might as well be orbitting another star.

Sorry, not a fan of the main mecha at all. It's pretty cheesy. Looks like some kind of Egyptian super boss mecha from a terrible 1970s robot show or stuff I used to find in b/w 80s comics that tried too hard to copy anime style.

b.600.400.16777215.0.ws.VFSXT-ULTRA.jpg

b.600.400.16777215.0.ws.Hangar2.jpg

It's the VFSXT-Ultra? I would have called it Osiris Elephant Wing-Geese or something. The CG work is excellent. The mechanical design is very fan-made amateurish in terms of actual design aesthetic. It's just a mish mash of cliche robot parts with simple shapes and lines that don't work well together.

Edited by ComicKaze

Almost everything, there are some very good fanfilms out there like Troops, and IMPS.

I will admit, I did think about troops and I will also admit that it IS entertaining, but at the end of the day it fits more into the category of parody than serious attempt at fan fiction.

I think that I would say to anybody who wants to write or produce any sort of fan fiction, forget about working from somebody elses source and try to create some new ORIGINAL material. Truly new fiction, SF in particular, can be hard to find at times and you never know, you might even pick up some fans of your own if you create some original work.

Taksraven

Sorry, not a fan of the main mecha at all. It's pretty cheesy. Looks like some kind of Egyptian super boss mecha from a terrible 1970s robot show or stuff I used to find in b/w 80s comics that tried too hard to copy anime style.

b.600.400.16777215.0.ws.VFSXT-ULTRA.jpg

b.600.400.16777215.0.ws.Hangar2.jpg

It's the VFSXT-Ultra? I would have called it Osiris Elephant Wing-Geese or something. The CG work is excellent. The mechanical design is very fan-made amateurish in terms of actual design aesthetic. It's just a mish mash of cliche robot parts with simple shapes and lines that don't work well together.

I will say that the face on that unit is a thing that only a mother could love. Its fugly.

Taksraven

I don't think it looks that bad...but as Graham pointed out, it doesn't look terribly Macross-y. I get the feeling that the designer saw that Gundam Evolve remake of "The Newtype, Challia Bull" and tried to do similar things to the VF-1 that that episode of Evolve did to the RX-78.

Looks higher-quality than Shadow Chronicles, though...that's for DAMN sure. ^_^