Minor details that you enjoyed in Macross Frontier.....

taksraven

Well, here is a place where you can mention relatively small details from the series that you thought enhanced overall enjoyment.

I enjoyed a few things.

Firstly, I thought that the CG asteroids in the series looked really cool. The fact that they were pretty much fully 3D objects made them an interesting part of the background. This was highlighted in the episodes "Friendly Fire" when Michel was constantly using them as anchoring stations for his sniping (I loved the sweeping panorama shot pulling away from him lying on the asteroid as he tried to target the Vajra) and "Northern Cross" when the fighting valks were blowing the icy asteroids apart. I also liked the colour of the asteroids, they didn't look like brown piles of dirt like they did at the start of Macross Plus.

Another detail I enjoyed was the new space-fold entry/exit effect. A very nice light show with cool sound effects to match. Lets hope that the use similar effects in future Macross projects.

Well, feel free to add anything minor from the series that you may have enjoyed.

Taksraven

I enjoyed the City itself. City 25 and its islands. Specifically the technology, the advertising, the "fairy land" Zentraedi mall, the cafe at the top, even Ranka's slug phone. The "light show" flight path for launching VF's too was enjoyable.

Add: The radar system too.

Edited by adrianop

I enjoyed the City itself. City 25 and its islands. Specifically the technology, the advertising, the "fairy land" Zentraedi mall, the cafe at the top, even Ranka's slug phone. The "light show" flight path for launching VF's too was enjoyable.

Add: The radar system too.

I especially liked it when they used the radar monitor as a bouncy ball for an eyecatch in one episode. I agree with all of your other points, I was going to mention ranka's phone. The did an excellent effort in fleshing out the details in the city too.

Oh, and I liked the big restaurant/centre in the roof of the citydome. Especially the glass floor.

Taksraven

iSlug FTW! :lol:

Seriously though, I loved Frontier city since it was one of the few fictional cities that really seemed alive and had a character of its own (despite actually being an amalgamation of San Francisco and Shibuya - or maybe because of it).

Oh, and I liked the big restaurant/centre in the roof of the citydome. Especially the glass floor.

That place would freak the hell out of me...it's fun to imagine, though.

One little detail that I never really got was the coffee shop...how the little circles of light kept bouncing off of the coffee cups and pinging around the table. I never understood it, but I thought it was cute.

Off the top of my head, I also really liked:

* Keitai-kun (or iSlug, if you prefer. ^_^ )

* The way Sheryl told Alto not to put her boobs on the internet...BEFORE we got the explanation of what implants were.

* FAST Pack Klan.

* Nyan Nyan being a huge chain (although that originated, as far as I can tell, with the "Macross 7 Docking Festival" album.

* Frontier's Library. Man, I'd love to spend a week or two in there.

* Nanase's glasses.

* The way Sheryl told Alto not to put her boobs on the internet...BEFORE we got the explanation of what implants were.

Lol, the way she told him that he could use the image "for the night" was made of win!

* Nanase's glasses.

So is that your little codeword for them now, "glasses". :lol:

Edited by d3v

Where to even start? I liked lots of little details:

The Zentran mall was what got me watching the show: seeing some screenshots of perfectly ordinary giant shoppers and Sheryl playing in giant shoes and housewares took me from "New Macross series? I'll have to watch it some time" to "Hey, you got a torrent link?" Second most questionable design element of the Frontier fleet: allowing little Zentran children where they can easily reach those fragile and doll-like tiny people. Most questionable design element of the Frontier fleet: allowing Zentran-scaled cats within reach of miclones. Really, what were they thinking? :lol:

Other things: Ranka's cute squishy animal cell phone being controlled by beatings and abuse, Sheryl's amazing (lack of) skill with chopsticks and laundry detergent, super pack Klan, Leon in beach casuals, and Bilrer's enormous train set. A little less on the funny side, I also love Grace's harmless unease as presented in the Triangler OP. I liked Fire Bomber being in that awkward no-man's land of nostalgic music too old to be popular with the kids but to new to be rescpected as classic rock yet. I also enjoyed Luca showing the autonomous Ghosts aren't necessarily all bad. The stalker drink machines though, they're just biding their time before they strike.

...Leon in beach casuals...

I completely forgot about that...yes, that was entirely awesome.

The stalker drink machines though, they're just biding their time before they strike.

Dude, that's TOTALLY going to be the next Macross series!

(My favorite drink machine moment is still the couple getting cornered by them in an early episode of Macross 7, though.)

Those little robots (trash can bot, vending machine bot) are nice tribute to SDF:M, the only missing thing are the phone booth robot and the camera vendor robot.

Makes me wander, has anyone make a list of the little droids in Macross Universe? :huh:

Minor detail that I like?

- Hippocows!!!

- Destroid emplacement on the "Ear" of Macross Quarter.

- Safety belt on captain chair, and weird chair like strap on the operator.

- The table on Quarter bridge.

- The lucky guard on Quarter bridge who got "bribed" by Sheryl

- Zentraedi kids!! And here I'm thinking they were all grown in cloning tubes.

^_^

Where to even start? I liked lots of little details:

Leon in beach casuals,

That was one of the funniest things in the entire series and few commented on it. ( I think I did in the episode thread). really funny stuff.

Taksraven

Frontier/City 25 itself was also one of my favorite things about this show. It just looked so beautiful and inviting. Not only was I amazed at the sheer size of it compared to the other fleets, but the pure imagination and detail. I loved the combination of San Francisco and Shibuya. City 25 to me,was every bit as interesting a setting as Eden from Macross Plus. As the earlier posts said, the city just seemed to have a vibe and personality all its own. The backgrounds in this show are pretty mindblowing and really made me imagine what it would be like living in a city floating in space. B))

Also, there are a lot of other little touches I loved on this show. A big thing I loved the the incredible editing and direction. Episode 7 is a prime example, even though its stock footage, I absolutely loved how the battle was combined with scenes from Sheryl's concert, and the way the battle just moved along to the music of "Don't be Late." (Especially when it hits the refrain right when Ozma unloads his "Itano circus" at the enemy. Too, too awesome. B)) )

I also really loved how none of the endings were the same, and the "movie-style" closings to episodes such as 7 and 20 only made the show feel even more epic to me.

The Zentran mall was what got me watching the show: seeing some screenshots of perfectly ordinary giant shoppers and Sheryl playing in giant shoes and housewares took me from "New Macross series? I'll have to watch it some time" to "Hey, you got a torrent link?" Second most questionable design element of the Frontier fleet: allowing little Zentran children where they can easily reach those fragile and doll-like tiny people. Most questionable design element of the Frontier fleet: allowing Zentran-scaled cats within reach of miclones. Really, what were they thinking? :lol:

You forget to mention that the aforementioned "cats" also happen to have wings - off course, the explanation would be that the Hydra's are highly domesticated (with the exception of the infected one in episode 10). Also, the Hydra-kitten in episode 22 was kinda cute.

As for the Zentran kids, you can always scare them away with seven coloured carrots.

As for the Zentran kids, you can always scare them away with seven coloured carrots.

Except that, according to the Nyan Tra liner notes, they stopped producing the carrots when Frontier started running low on sustainability.

Which means only one thing...

ZENTRAN BABY RAMPAGE!!!

Except that, according to the Nyan Tra liner notes, they stopped producing the carrots when Frontier started running low on sustainability.

Which means only one thing...

ZENTRAN BABY RAMPAGE!!!

As "interesting" as that sounds, it's more likely that all macronized Zentraedi who weren't in the military were probably micronized to save resources.

As "interesting" as that sounds, it's more likely that all macronized Zentraedi who weren't in the military were probably micronized to save resources.

I believe it was actually mentioned when they sacrificed one of the Zentran islands, was that the inhabitants could be micronized and relocated with the general population.

Another thing I recalled: Frontier's .750g gravity. Also how it kinda explained Sheryl's weights being a little bulkier than you might expect during her workout. Though I wonder if that last was intentional or just lucky chance of animation.

I believe it was actually mentioned when they sacrificed one of the Zentran islands, was that the inhabitants could be micronized and relocated with the general population.

Except for the Pixies and it's probably safe to assume that any macronized combat personnel (assuming the grunts we saw in episode 21 were also Quaedluun pilots), which bring us to another thing I enjoyed - that they showed macronized Zentraedi military integrated into the NUNS.

Edited by d3v

Raramia.

Not poking too much fun here so please no flames. when I first saw Pixie flight (I know, its listed as 'squadron' but there's only three of them! to me that's a flight) I was looking forward to seeing an episode through their eyes, I mean where did they live, how did they balance the micro/macro thing, stuff like that. Could have been good.

One little thing for me was seeing the -171s with realistic missile loads - one big, three medium and the missile podunder each wing. As to just short range suckers on most VFs or the 12 medium range ones on the VF-0/1s. sidenote - would have loved to have seen an AIM-9 Sidewinder under the -0's wing to give a little mix of new and old.

totsugeki love heart~!

owned me and made me smile like hell xD

All aspects of Ranka's phone. :D

:D

Edited by crescens

Scene composition, particularly for the action sequences. For the first time I feel fully CG rendered vehicles in anime have at last tapped into the unique Japanese style that makes the action so aesthetically pleasing to watch. The CG models in Macross Frontier feel superior to Macross Zero, despite the fact the M0 models had much more detail and higher polygon counts. It's all in the composition. It's not an aspect of Frontier that gets much attention, but to me the dynamic style of the scene composition made all the difference.

Scene composition, particularly for the action sequences. For the first time I feel fully CG rendered vehicles in anime have at last tapped into the unique Japanese style that makes the action so aesthetically pleasing to watch. The CG models in Macross Frontier feel superior to Macross Zero, despite the fact the M0 models had much more detail and higher polygon counts. It's all in the composition. It's not an aspect of Frontier that gets much attention, but to me the dynamic style of the scene composition made all the difference.

I have to agree there, though I wouldn't make claims of a "unique Japanese style" thing, so much as say that Frontier has managed to comfortably blend 3d and 2d animation to where they look like part of the same composition. Macross Zero by contrast felt more of the Blue Submarine No. 6 generation, where there was a 3d mecha animation and a 2d character animation, and the two just happened to be shown in the same half-hour episode. I don't think "Japanese", "Western", or any other such descriptor applied so much as an internal cognitive dissonance.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. It did feel like another successful step towards the integration of CGI with more traditional cel-looking animation. In Macross Zero, it was a bit jarring at times when they switched between the two, but there were no such moments in Frontier.

Taksraven

Lots of little things to love, but a couple that come to my mind.

- Klan going into terminator mode. I loved her quietly coming up the loading elevator with the look of sadness on her face, and then the battle music kicking in as she looked up with the devil eyes. I remember thinking, "It's a macronized metran, and she's pissed!" There are probably fewer things in the Macross universe that are more deadly.

- Poking fun at anime conventions. For example everyone calling the feminine looking male lead "Princess" and Ozma shooting down Alto's intentions to jump right back into the cockpit of a VF-25 in the first few episodes.

- The look of Frontier city. I liked that many of the everyday items looks not too different from what we have today. Cars, residences, etc., looked fairly contemporary, and many gadgets looked very familiar but were enhanced by extra futuristic features.

In general, I really enjoyed the design of the series.

- Poking fun at anime conventions. For example everyone calling the feminine looking male lead "Princess" and Ozma shooting down Alto's intentions to jump right back into the cockpit of a VF-25 in the first few episodes.

The fact that Frontier was rather genre savvy was one of the reasons I enjoyed it.

Yes. It did feel like another successful step towards the integration of CGI with more traditional cel-looking animation. In Macross Zero, it was a bit jarring at times when they switched between the two, but there were no such moments in Frontier.

Taksraven

I've been trying to figure out exactly how their able to pull this off (other than really good cel-shading). One of the things I've noticed is that the shots are composed so that the characters (obviously hand drawn) and CG bits almost never in direct contact with each other. Almost every time a character has to interact with a valk,power suit, etc. it's also hand drawn. Also, I believe that in shots where there are both characters and CG valks, their not on the same plane.

Taksraven

One thing I really disliked about Macross Zero was how everything looked "tiny" and felt "small". Many times during the series the CGI gave the impression the vehicles were toys or bad model kits on strings. It felt like someone had a camera on a dolly than was rolling through their diorama :( (thinks back to the awful camera shot that rolls back through the interior "hangar bay" of the Asuka: ugh!)

But with Macross Frontier, everything felt huge. Each mecha had weight and scale. They appeared and felt as big as they were supposed to be. And all of it was done with less. Smaller budget, fewer polygons, less effects. Frontier was just outright impressive for CGI work. Definitely a high benchmark for aesthetically adept CGI flawlessly merged with traditional cel animation.

-The Vajra assimilation of weapons.

-Fold Quartz.

-City Frontier looking like the San Francisco Bay Area.

The production must really be Star Trek Fanboys. :D

Edited by gerwalk25