The computer and electronics super geek thread

Dante74

^you can also try malwarebytes (i use along with spybot and xoftspy), it scans real slow tho'.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

the paid version is not worth it to me. it only adds a schedule for a daily quick scan, there's no option to schedule a weekly full scan while i am asleep like i do with xoftspy and spybot.

and try combofix

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

it only looks for certain viruses, so it's not a replacement scanner. but it always find something like iprip that others miss (wth is iprip, i had this on two pc's. it's actually 3-4 imes if i include reinstallin' windows and then running combofix a couple of weeks later).

here's how to uninstall (and get rid of the quarantine folder qoobox).

http://www.myantispyware.com/2008/03/26/ho...stall-combofix/

i've ran it three times but i only finds stuff the first time it is ran (i just wanted to check and make sure that the malware didn't come back).

also, it resets MOST of your windows settings to default (taskbar options, screensavers, ect.).

my new pc:

intel core 2 quad q9550 yorkfield 2.83ghz quad-core processor (not overclocked, yet...)

asus p5q pro motherboard

corsair dominator 2gb (2 x 1gb) ddr2 sdram 1066 (pc2 8500) memory

xfx pvt88gydf4 geforce 8800gts (g92) video card

seagate barracuda 500gb sata2 3.0gb/sec hard drive

seagate barracuda 1.5tb sata2 3.0gb/sec hard drive

lg 22x dvd burner, dual layer

samsung 22x dvd burner, dual layer

antec three hundred black computer case

2 antec tri-cool fans (4 fans total)

antec tpq-850 850w power supply

arctic cooling freezer 7 pro cooling fan/heatsink

samsung 2253bw 22in widescreen lcd monitor

m-audio axiom 49 key midi keyboard

i kept my old pc as a backup instead of parting it out like i usually do.

here's an update. my cpu is now overclocked to 3.4ghz

also, the lg drive died on me so i now have two samsung ide dvd burners.

i do music production but i went with the quadcore so that i can dabble in video editing & production.

Although 32 bit Windows only uses a maximum of 3 Gb, if you're going to be editing video you might want to put in some extra RAM.

Although 32 bit Windows only uses a maximum of 3 Gb, if you're going to be editing video you might want to put in some extra RAM.

i have 32bit windows xp. i'm waiting for windows 7 64bit (or the money for a mac pro with lots of ram) before i add more ram. maybe by then, digidesign will finally release a version of their protools le software that can use more than 3gb's of ram (right now, their website says that they WON'T add support for 64bit os's and more than 3gb's of ram 'cause they believe that their customers won't use more than 2gb's of ram. b.s., they want ppl to upgrade to their studio quality hardware with price tags in the $1,000-$900,000 range).

or like the last person who had virus trouble, run hijackthis and post the log, then a few of us can just tell you what files are bad and what to get rid of.

Thanks a bundle guys. I'll do this tomorrow. Right now I'm remembered why TS Eliot wrote that April was the cruelest month of all - and it has nothing to do with lylacs breeding in the wind or whatever the rest of that poem was.

Bad enough I have to do my taxes (sometimes it seems like I'm just paying my accountant to sign forms which I had to fill out anyways), but the customs agency I'd been using has gone bankrupt and their debts seem to have been sold to a debt collection agency, which is trying to convince me I owe them money- even though I paid that money to the customs agency before it went belly up :) Swell. April is beauraucrat month for sure. Nothing like a good malware computer virus to give it all the feeling of abject infernal hell :)

I just hope I pass my freeking drivers exam and can have my own car in a month and drive away on a sweet vacation :)

Pete

Windows 7 RC1 coming to the public May 5th.

Maybe.

I'm looking forward to trying it out. I've been using Beta 1 on my netbook since it officially came out (that is, since it was available through Microsoft and not bittorrent). The changes from Vista weren't the leaps that they were going from XP to Vista, but that seemed to mean less compatibility issues and better performance. And what changes there were seemed mostly welcome.

Of course, I beta tested Windows Vista, too, and while Beta 1 and 2 seemed okay, I thought Vista actually took a turn for the worse when it moved into RC status. I'm not really anticipating the kinds of problems we had with Vista, though, again mostly because 7 seems more about performance and compatibility than new features, whereas Vista seemed more about modernizing an OS that was definitely getting a little long in the tooth.

RC1 is definitely going on my netbook, and probably the first retail version, too. I've been using Vista as my main desktop OS since shortly before SP1, and Leopard on my MacBook since the day it came out. By now, XP seems positively archaic, and I really didn't feel like going back to it. So far, I've been able to run Windows 7 on the netbook, even with Aero, so it seems like a good fit for a computer that might not be able to handle Vista too well. I'm going to stick with Vista on my desktop for awhile, though. Any OS can handle the net browsing and what not I do every day, but if that was all I did I might as well use Ubuntu. I game on my desktop, and while Windows 7 is supposedly pretty solid on that so far, Vista seems a little more certain.

I'm looking forward to trying it out. I've been using Beta 1 on my netbook since it officially came out (that is, since it was available through Microsoft and not bittorrent). The changes from Vista weren't the leaps that they were going from XP to Vista, but that seemed to mean less compatibility issues and better performance. And what changes there were seemed mostly welcome.

Of course, I beta tested Windows Vista, too, and while Beta 1 and 2 seemed okay, I thought Vista actually took a turn for the worse when it moved into RC status. I'm not really anticipating the kinds of problems we had with Vista, though, again mostly because 7 seems more about performance and compatibility than new features, whereas Vista seemed more about modernizing an OS that was definitely getting a little long in the tooth.

RC1 is definitely going on my netbook, and probably the first retail version, too. I've been using Vista as my main desktop OS since shortly before SP1, and Leopard on my MacBook since the day it came out. By now, XP seems positively archaic, and I really didn't feel like going back to it. So far, I've been able to run Windows 7 on the netbook, even with Aero, so it seems like a good fit for a computer that might not be able to handle Vista too well. I'm going to stick with Vista on my desktop for awhile, though. Any OS can handle the net browsing and what not I do every day, but if that was all I did I might as well use Ubuntu. I game on my desktop, and while Windows 7 is supposedly pretty solid on that so far, Vista seems a little more certain.

I'm pretty happy with Win7 on my VM as well. There are some user interface issues with it which I'm not happy about since pushing this on older users who are use to a more classic interface may find it difficult to work through. I'm much more happy with the memory usage but I would like to see if they can shave it down a little more with the RC.

Requesting information on portable HDD > TV with remote control solutions please.

I have 2 1TB portable HDDs formatted in FAT32 with USB 2.0 connectors containing all my media files. I currently have them hooked up to my PS3 to watch movies on my TV. However the PS3 will only recognize some video files and not others.

My laptop actually has composite out but is a self destructing VAIO and recently runs super slow and outputs choppy video. Also I can`t use a remote with the laptop.

My ideas so far:

*Are there any cheap Chinese boxes with all codecs and USB 2.0 in, video out, I can`t find any. links?

*by installing linux on my PS3 should I be able to download codecs and see all my video files with the PS3 remote control?

*Another solution I haven`t thought of?

Edited by MilSpex

Requesting information on portable HDD > TV with remote control solutions please.

I have 2 1TB portable HDDs formatted in FAT32 with USB 2.0 connectors containing all my media files. I currently have them hooked up to my PS3 to watch movies on my TV. However the PS3 will only recognize some video files and not others.

My laptop actually has composite out but is a self destructing VAIO and recently runs super slow and outputs choppy video. Also I can`t use a remote with the laptop.

My ideas so far:

*Are there any cheap Chinese boxes with all codecs and USB 2.0 in, video out, I can`t find any. links?

*by installing linux on my PS3 should I be able to download codecs and see all my video files with the PS3 remote control?

*Another solution I haven`t thought of?

i was thinking about getting a remote. but i got another wireless keyboard and mouse combo set by logitech to replace my wireless keyboard and mouse combo also by logitech that i ruined 'cause i spilled a couple of drops of dr. pepper on my keyboard (the can was empty but i knocked it over and a couple drops fell on my keyboard). this probably doesn't work for your ps3 but i see that you also have a vaio.

edit:

something with media controls

the "dr. pepper" keyboard, mx70

41H0GT29VXL._SS500_.jpg

the replacement, mx3200

41D6DR2AJJL._SS400_.jpg

4111NXCF2WL._SS400_.jpg

another model, the wave

414m4dIr5IL._SS400_.jpg

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

No, my PC hangs all the time. Its a POS and I can`t afford a new one right now so thats out.

I was thinking something like this:

sku_15127_1.jpg

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15127

but preferably higher quality with HD 1080i and/or p, maximum codecs and HDMI connection. Does it exist?

Edited by MilSpex

No, my PC hangs all the time. Its a POS and I can`t afford a new one right now so thats out.

I was thinking something like this:

sku_15127_1.jpg

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15127

but preferably higher quality with HD 1080i and/or p, maximum codecs and HDMI connection. Does it exist?

Kinda. Short of building a home theater PC, it seems like every device is missing some codecs. But you might want to give this a try. The downside is a few missing codecs, missing audio on some files on the reviewer's unit, a little lag loading files, and the fact that you have to have a separate USB flash drive or hard drive to put the files on, but the upside is up to 1080p video over HDMI, plus support for MPEG-1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (mp4, Xvid, AVC), h.264, MKV, and MOV (mp4 and h.264). Retails for around $100, as far as I know. Seagate and IOMEGA make similar devices. Some of theirs come with storage too, but they don't seem to support as many codecs.

Kinda. Short of building a home theater PC, it seems like every device is missing some codecs. But you might want to give this a try. The downside is a few missing codecs, missing audio on some files on the reviewer's unit, a little lag loading files, and the fact that you have to have a separate USB flash drive or hard drive to put the files on, but the upside is up to 1080p video over HDMI, plus support for MPEG-1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (mp4, Xvid, AVC), h.264, MKV, and MOV (mp4 and h.264). Retails for around $100, as far as I know. Seagate and IOMEGA make similar devices. Some of theirs come with storage too, but they don't seem to support as many codecs.

Thankyou! That WD unit with 2 USB ports looks perfect as I have 2 portable USB HDDs I want to use with it. I guess it would support up to 1TB on the discs formatted in FAT32?

What needs to be made available though is a media player able to connect to the internet to update firmware with the latest codecs. PS3 has this potential but Sony doesn`t want its users to have all codecs just now for some reason.

btw Anyone installed linux on their PS3 and downloaded codecs and media players through it to play back media files within linux while running it?

Thankyou! That WD unit with 2 USB ports looks perfect as I have 2 portable USB HDDs I want to use with it. I guess it would support up to 1TB on the discs formatted in FAT32?

What needs to be made available though is a media player able to connect to the internet to update firmware with the latest codecs. PS3 has this potential but Sony doesn`t want its users to have all codecs just now for some reason.

btw Anyone installed linux on their PS3 and downloaded codecs and media players through it to play back media files within linux while running it?

AFAIK, you could just download the firmware updates on your PC, then transfer it to the unit via a flash drive or USB hard drive.

You don't need to format your drives in in FAT32. I'm pretty sure I read that the unit can read from drives formatted in NTFS, or HFS+ for Mac users.

AFAIK, you could just download the firmware updates on your PC, then transfer it to the unit via a flash drive or USB hard drive.

You don't need to format your drives in in FAT32. I'm pretty sure I read that the unit can read from drives formatted in NTFS, or HFS+ for Mac users.

Okay, thanks. My drives came pre formatted in FAT32 and I kept them that way as I filled them up with files because PS3 will only recognise FAT32 I think.

Can the WD unit recognise FAT32?

Anyone know of a good fighting stick that can be used on the PC? I've taken a look at MadCatz, but theyare all 360 or PS3. I'm not getting a PS3 just yet, so I really want to know what my options are.

In AUS, there is nada.

Anyone know of a good fighting stick that can be used on the PC? I've taken a look at MadCatz, but theyare all 360 or PS3. I'm not getting a PS3 just yet, so I really want to know what my options are.

In AUS, there is nada.

Kensei don't waste your time, there really isn't any good arcade sticks for PC.

The best is you buy a PS2/PS3 stick from Hori or MadCatz (Street Fighter IV) and get a good USB adapter to hook them up to your PC.

Edited by lechuck

Kensei don't waist your time, there really isn't any good arcade sticks for PC.

The best is you buy a PS2/PS3 stick from Hori or MadCatz (Street Fighter IV) and get a good USB adapter to hook them up to your PC.

So going the round about way eh? Sure I'll take that on. Thanks.

So going the round about way eh? Sure I'll take that on. Thanks.

That's because the market for PC gaming peripherals is left to gamepads, joysticks, keyboards and mice. :(

There is one company that makes arcade quality joysticks, (their target market was the MAME crowd) unfortunately i can't recall who it is and i'm too lazy to go through my bookmarks to find it. The other option is to build it yourself from arcade grade materials (again, too lazy to go through bookmarks, i'll probably do it tomorrow).

Ok, I've totally ignored LCD monitors for many years as I like my CRT. Well, I just got the first indication tonight that my CRT monitor is going out. It's a 15in CRT. (yes, it's old, but I like it--and I inherently much prefer CRT for PCs at night). Is there anywhere I can get a monitor that is either CRT or that size? Smallest thing BestBuy has is a 17in LCD, and that may be too big (my computer desk is quirky and I can't put the monitor very far behind the keyboard, so I need small monitors for that reason---but an LCD is thinner, so I could move it a few inches further back than my current CRT)

Ok, I've totally ignored LCD monitors for many years as I like my CRT. Well, I just got the first indication tonight that my CRT monitor is going out. It's a 15in CRT. (yes, it's old, but I like it--and I inherently much prefer CRT for PCs at night). Is there anywhere I can get a monitor that is either CRT or that size? Smallest thing BestBuy has is a 17in LCD, and that may be too big (my computer desk is quirky and I can't put the monitor very far behind the keyboard, so I need small monitors for that reason---but an LCD is thinner, so I could move it a few inches further back than my current CRT)

my first 17in crt is dying on me (it's turn a shade of blue for 10-15 minutes, than back to normal and repeat). so i got a used 21 inch on craiglist of $25. but the new one is going out too, it has two horizontal lines where the pixels are missing (it's just a really, really thin blank white line). and sometimes it will turn off (flash black and make a popping noise) but it always come back on after a millisecond. so i got a another 17in backup on craigslist for $20. but the 21in spoiled me so i don't even use it (it's just my backup).

luckily, my 21in lasted until i got my tax refund and i got a 22in widescreen from samsung. i'm loving the widescreen, i have so much workspace for when i have to use multiple programs for music production (i was about to go with dual non-widescreen monitors). i have more room on my desk now, but my desk is two levels (the second level just covers 2/3 the length of my desk) so i can't push it all the way to the back like i wanted to. now, i want to get dual widescreen monitors some day (after i get a bigger, better designed desk).

so, i think you might like an lcd. but, i haven't even bothered to load my games (not even my cs1.6/css steam games) on my new quadcore pc yet; so i don't know how the gaming picture quality compares to my old crt.

Kensei don't waste your time, there really isn't any good arcade sticks for PC.

Are you kidding me??!! Bzzzzzzt!

This is what I have: http://www.hanaho.com/Products/HotRodJoystick.php

It doesn't get much more "real arcade" than this, especially for fighting games. I got mine in '01, and it's still holding up strong.

Then there is also the X-Arcade, here: http://www.xgaming.com/tankstick-arcade-game.shtml

If you really wanna go nuts, you can go here: http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

B))

Well, in the current state of things, there aren't too many places to get monitors. Best Buy or Fry's is probably the only places left. 17" LCD monitors are probably the smallest you'll find these days.

Well, in the current state of things, there aren't too many places to get monitors. Best Buy or Fry's is probably the only places left. 17" LCD monitors are probably the smallest you'll find these days.

I loves my CRT. 15 years old and going strong. Widescreen, good size (haven`t actually measured it) motorised pivoting base and beautiful picture compared to most LCDs. love those blacks and the response time. CRT FTW. Got if for $50 at a used store in Japan last year.

The only CRT I could find is 17".

I'd really suggest going with the LCD, though. I had a friend who, like you, noticed the superior quality of CRTs back in the days before 16:9 monitors were common. They've improved a lot, though, and even my friend is starting to come around after seeing my new monitor (a 22" Samsung). And in my case, what finally put me over the edge was games... some new ones, like F.E.A.R. 2, don't actually support 4:3 resolutions. If you used one, it's like watching a DVD on a 4:3 TV, with the black bands at the top and bottom. It was just too small to see clearly, so I upgraded. I don't mind playing games that don't support widescreen resolutions... I set the video card to display them with black bars on the sides, but I picked a monitor with more vertical lines natively than my old monitor.

Are you kidding me??!! Bzzzzzzt!

This is what I have: http://www.hanaho.com/Products/HotRodJoystick.php

It doesn't get much more "real arcade" than this, especially for fighting games. I got mine in '01, and it's still holding up strong.

Then there is also the X-Arcade, here: http://www.xgaming.com/tankstick-arcade-game.shtml

If you really wanna go nuts, you can go here: http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

B))

X-Arcade! that's who i was trying to think of, i know they make one of the best ones on the market, but they're WAY expensive, so it's better to just build your own.

Also to chime in on the CRT vs LCD, like mikeszekely said, LCD's have come a long way from their introduction and can display deeper blacks and stronger color accuracy than ever before. However, to get the best viewing experience from your LCD, you could always invest in a color calibration tool for your LCD. A lot of manufacturers preset their monitors to their settings to help hide its inherent weaknesses (Green in particular is the hardest color for LCD's to display accurately) a color calibrator helps you get the best visual settings for your tv/monitor but a really good one can run you some serious cash.

Edited by emajnthis

Trying to get some ideas here. I'm currently thinking of being more in touch with my tech more than ever before for the purposes of work and "standing out" from the crowd.

I'm a Pharmacist and currently, due to the economic crisis, I'm finding it hard to get a permanent job. Which is not a bad thing, I tend to watch my spending, but I don't always know when my next pay cheque is coming in.

I'm thinking about getting an ABN and starting a business. That way I can claim lots of tax deductions on most things. It's great, you can claim things from shoes and clothes to toiletries and haircuts I discovered.

I want to make a webpage though for my employers to see my timetable. That way, they can conveniently book in when they see an opening. Of course, that would mean increasing my call caps to a large extent, and also putting on an internet allowance, but again, that's all claimable.

The best thing I can think of is google calendar. I can't think of a better free solution than that. While it's free, they sure know how to make software. I update it via Google Sync (my primary organiser software at home is still Microsoft Outlook 2007, this is one piece of software that Microsoft actually got right) and bring it all with me on my Nokia XpressMusic 5800 (luv this phone!).

Planning to put all my details on there (save a few really confidential ones), but just wondering how I can give people access to it without me having to manually give them the password. I'm not too particularly keen on giving out my phone number online either on the website. Which means I'll have to manually give out my bloody email address and also phone number by going around to each pharmacy. The problem there is, you have to talk with the manager, and make a good impression, leaving your card there with just a simple goodbye is just asking to have your card thrown immediately in the bin.

What I plan to be puttin on the page is:

• My Resume
  • Work Experience (Cumulative)
  • Phone Number
  • Email
  • Calendar

You guys reckon that google cal would be powerful enough for this? There are other issues such as payment details and also tax file number declarations, but I type em out at home and then upload them to google documents online, thereby I always have them with me as all pharmacies here have internet.

Who knows, maybe I can become successful at this, I can become a pharmacy pimp and charge people for my services in organizing them! The trick is to keep mum about it. Just a penny for your thoughts guys.

my first 17in crt is dying on me (it's turn a shade of blue for 10-15 minutes, than back to normal and repeat). so i got a used 21 inch on craiglist of $25. but the new one is going out too, it has two horizontal lines where the pixels are missing (it's just a really, really thin blank white line). and sometimes it will turn off (flash black and make a popping noise) but it always come back on after a millisecond. so i got a another 17in backup on craigslist for $20. but the 21in spoiled me so i don't even use it (it's just my backup).

Those two lines you saw may have been due to the monitor being a Trinitron. For Trinitrons, this is actually normal. Mine has them as well.

X-Arcade! that's who i was trying to think of, i know they make one of the best ones on the market, but they're WAY expensive, so it's better to just build your own.

I've heard that X-Arcade sticks are overpriced; however, I haven't had any major issues with mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

My whole house is full of glass wool particles and we'll probably have to throw out a lot of papers, clothes and other stuff. The computer sadly is also on the list. Don't know how much cleaning it would cost but that PC is really full of crap so I guess all the fans, the processor’s ventilator and the power unit would have to go.

By today’s standards the rig is old; and AMD 2+Ghz, 1,5Gb RAM, 500GB HD and an ATI 256M board. Since I'll have to throw money away on new stuff might as well pick up something a bit beefy. I was thinking I could salvage the two hard drives I have in there and get a new rig. Thing is that the HD are of the old ATA type. Could I use those on the new fancy two processor motherboards or do they all use just SATA?

I was also thinking of getting one of those portable HD and just downloading all the stuff and reloading it into the new PC.

Since we do most of our work at home we've bought a laptop. An emachines E720; Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz, 3Gb or RAM, 223Gb HD.

I could return this laptop and get a better one with better graphics instead of a clunky PC (I’ve grown to like the little space a laptop takes up). I use the computer mainly for work (Office, Photoshop and such) but want to be able to use some of the newer games and video codecs in a fast way.

Are laptops far behind the PCs in terms of graphics/price? Any things I should look for when buying one? How much does a middle to upper layer laptop cost?

The spouse wants to get a Mac laptop for herself so as to edit video. How is the compatibility between Mac and PC today?

...Thing is that the HD are of the old ATA type. Could I use those on the new fancy two processor motherboards or do they all use just SATA?

Most DIY motherboards have a single PATA connector for legacy. So you will be able to hook up those hard drives and pull the data off/reformat.

Since we do most of our work at home we've bought a laptop. An emachines E720; Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz, 3Gb or RAM, 223Gb HD.

I could return this laptop and get a better one with better graphics instead of a clunky PC (I’ve grown to like the little space a laptop takes up). I use the computer mainly for work (Office, Photoshop and such) but want to be able to use some of the newer games and video codecs in a fast way.

Are laptops far behind the PCs in terms of graphics/price? Any things I should look for when buying one? How much does a middle to upper layer laptop cost?

Laptops aren't really far behind. Only a generation behind so you'll be able to get by with a fairly recent laptop. Since laptops are all-in-one systems and desktops, you can mix-and-match, there is a price difference. Considering your uses, I'd recommend a 15"-17" laptop. These would be considered in the realm of "desktop replacement". Since you want to throw in gaming, I'd recommend avoiding laptops with Intel video chipsets. The Dell Studio and XPS lines or the HP HDX 16t/18t and dv6t/dv7t with their ATi/Nvidia graphics chipsets would be preferred. You're looking at about a $800 minimum due to the better graphics card.

The spouse wants to get a Mac laptop for herself so as to edit video. How is the compatibility between Mac and PC today?

Most files can be moved from Mac to PC and vice versa with little issues. For the Mac side, you can get away with the Macbook for video editing since it uses a Nvidia 9400M video chipset. The only downside is the 13.3" screen so video editing on that size may be problematic. You can attach a larger monitor so that option is open to your wife. If she plans on working from the laptop exclusively with no external monitor, I'd recommend the Macbook Pro for the larger screens.

I am doing regular edits of some of my favorite DVDs on my MBP (penryn). I am using my Dell 24" and a 1TB Buffalo external HDD over firewire 800 though. If/when Apple ever pulls their head out, I'll get a Blu-ray burner, too.

Does any one know how to disable the track pad on a lap top computer?

I use a wireless mouse, and when I am typing my hand will brush over it, and mess up what I am working on.

what brand and model number/name is your laptop? you can turn off the trackpad in the bios sometimes (press delete or f8 or f1 when the laptop first starts up). some of them can be turned off using the manufacturer's software. i could find the info easier once i know which laptop you have.

what brand and model number/name is your laptop? you can turn off the trackpad in the bios sometimes (press delete or f8 or f1 when the laptop first starts up). some of them can be turned off using the manufacturer's software. i could find the info easier once i know which laptop you have.

Sony vaio VGN-FW200