New Macross Game from Sega for PS2

twich

In case I manage to actually buy this game some day, can any of you point me in a good direction for loading import games on a US PS2? I might be willing to solder, although I've never done it... I'd prefer something relatively simple with fairly low risk...

I think I might just have to pick up this game while I'm in Japan next year, if my plans go according to my will...

How do you get an S rank in the last ARMD stage?

I managed to finish the first two parts with perfect health. Its with the duel with Badolza where I mess up. :angry: It's so impossible to finish Bodolza with perfect health.

HELP! :(

I have the same problem. Boldoza fires way too many missiles, and that stage is way too long to keep trying, Im pretty much done with that sheet. Same goes for the A-7, I kick the crap out milia with no damage, but taking out that ship is a pain. But, I'm happy with Hikaru's 1s, I dont need Roys anyway.

How do you get an S rank in the last ARMD stage?

I managed to finish the first two parts with perfect health.  Its with the duel with Badolza where I mess up.  :angry:  It's so impossible to finish Bodolza with perfect health.

HELP!  :(

I have the same problem. Boldoza fires way too many missiles, and that stage is way too long to keep trying, Im pretty much done with that sheet. Same goes for the A-7, I kick the crap out milia with no damage, but taking out that ship is a pain. But, I'm happy with Hikaru's 1s, I dont need Roys anyway.

a-8 stick close to bodolza's head to prevent the missiles from hitting you, then just attack using your bazzoka first then move to head lasers+gunpod while moving in a clockwise direction

a-7 to beat the ship, get in a perfect center position then go into gerwalk mode as far from the ship's missile range, yet close enough to launch your regular missiles (large missiles tend to explode when they get hit) time is the key in this stage, the quicker you kick millia, the better the chances of netting an s

What are you supposed to do to succeed in the "BLIND GAME" mission? The one where you are flying along with a Cat's Eye and the zentraedi capture it? I keep accidentally destroying the cats eye..

Just trying to take out all the regults and glaugs just results in one of my wingmen repeatedly yelling at me to do something. Any attempt to get near the cats eye and shoot its captors results in my killing the Cat's Eye itself.

Sorry if this has been covered, but in a 37 page thread i may have missed it. Has anyone written (or know where i can locate) a brief synopsis of the mission objectives for ALL the missions, in english? It's taking me a lot of time to figure out what to do in some of the missions.. and i've killed that poor girl in the cats eye so many times im starting to feel guilty. :)

On a completely unrelated topic to my last question all these swap tricks and stuff are such a pain:

Get someone to install a DMS3 Modchip in your american playstation but then BUY the Macross game (I got my game from ncsx.com. Like a lot of folks here have mentioned.) I've been buying imports from them since i first modded my PS1 and never got burned by NCS. They are reputable in my book.

DMS3 installation is a little pricey, but its great, and as a bonus you can watch your Region 2 dvd's in your Playstation.

Graham: I'm with you. this game is not all THAT easy. I am 30 and having a tough time.. I wonder if these youger folks are just more used to the 3d games... I'm the master 2-d Platformers.

Graham: I'm with you. this game is not all THAT easy. I am 30 and having a tough time.. I wonder if these youger folks are just more used to the 3d games... I'm the master 2-d Platformers.

lol I'm 29 and have been playing video games since the Atari 2600. This game is easy. Its tough at first but once you figure out the patterns its easy. Only one more S ranking to go (on movie stage 7).

Key to blind game mission...ignore everything but the one that took the cat's eye. Fighter mode to get near it. Go battroid and lock on and waste it. It'll take just over one full cycle with your gun. Once the one with the cat is destroyed kill everything else. Don't worry they won't take the cat again.

I asked this question many pages ago on this thread, but nobody replied.

Anyway, just want to ask again whether anybody has managed to log on to the official BBS for the Macross PS2 game. yet?

I've tried, but the Japanese registration process defeats me :(

Even though the BBS will be all in Japanese, there might be some info or theories regarding the missing YF-19, YF-21, VF-0S and SV-51.

Graham

You know, if i look at it from what i THINK is a truly objective point of view... its not BRILLIANT, but its not BAD either.. MY all time favorite Flying game is Ace Combat 4 on PS2. I think it was just about perfect.. at least FUN-wise, for me...

Macross could be a little more like it.. I think the controls are a BIT funky and the camera angles mess with my head a bit.. but this could change as I play more.. I think I keep playing this one more because its macross than for the fun of it. Ace combat became a literal OBSESSION for me. i *HAD* to beat every mission at every difficulty level and collect EVERY plane.. Hopefully as I make my way through learning the controls Macross will become like that too.

Also, this has probably been answered, but is there ANY difference between the different VF's? VF-1A/D/S??? other than looks???

Apparently GameSpy attempted a mini-review. They didn't seem to approve of it much.

And that's like a big deal? who cares what they think

For a Macross game, its pretty good. Best 3-D one of the bunch. It could use more mission variety and less clunky controls. Its more enjoyable and less annoying than Robotech Battle Cry was.

I asked this question many pages ago on this thread, but nobody replied.

Anyway, just want to ask again whether anybody has managed to log on to  the official BBS for the  Macross PS2 game. yet?

I've tried, but the Japanese registration process defeats me :(

Even though the BBS will be all in Japanese, there might be some info or theories regarding the missing YF-19, YF-21, VF-0S and SV-51.

Graham

I finally managed to get at the message board. It's pretty small, only 226 posts to date. And I haven't been able to find out anything about the missing Valkyries :(

There's a few posts that mention the YF-19, but the other three aren't mentioned at all (it has a search engine, thank god).

If anyone wants to investigate further (and hopefully knows more japanese than myself), PM me and I'll get you my login. It'll save you a whole lot of effort ^_^)

Is it me or does the camera follow the missles when ever they're fired. If so, doesn't that take away from the game play? It could get annoying.

Drew

You can probably shut it off. Its probably just Missale Camera or something.

The demos show it simply to display the cool factor. :)

In Namco's Ace Combat 4, you simply held the fire button down to let the camera track the missle. If you let go, you saw your plane again. I imagine it's the same. But I haven't played it.

I'm still sifting through this thread to find more info, but does anyone have any resources for the game's instruction manual translation?

ATTENTION!!

THis is for the people reading this post who are thinking of installing a slide tool.

DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a flip top cover and Swap Magic disc for only $35

Go here: http://www.ps2case.net/index.htm to do so.

Swap Magic discs are the same software that come with the slide tool. Slide tool and flip top cover are hardware solutions for the Swap Magic Disc.

You can install a ip top without voiding your warranty.

Get a slide tool and you'll be sorry! Very sorry.

By the way, Big O, you don't make a very convincing argument against slide-cards if you're truly hoping to educate. I've never used one, but can you clarify what problems you've had/seen? What experience do you have that it will wear out the motor on the console? Why do you recommend the flip-top in place of it?

Edited by Draykov

( I have both the slide card and flip top). Slide cards damage the motor that opens your PS2's tray. Eventually it wears out. Plus the slide card is a total pain in the butt to use. The flip top works great...no complaints. I'm not an expert but after big O mentioned it I searched a lot of forums and almost everybody's motor wears out with the slide card. So they either have to get a flip top or use the slide card all the time. Plus I've heard that the slide cards themselves tend to wear out...the little hook breaks off. Everyone says that you should make a copy of your slide card with an old credit card or some styrene.

Wow, just waded through 38 pages in one sitting. Great stuff from everyone, even Big O's rants were amusing. ;)

Just wanted to ask someone who has extensively played Battlecry for a more thorough comparison of the two games. Exactly how is the gameplay superior?

In particular, I have three questions:

1) Are you trapped in a box? (if so, how large is it? time it takes to jet between two sides? bigger than Battlecry?)

2) Can you pull a full vertical loop without the camera doing a crap spin thing? (Battlecry had this lame camera trick which made the loop look... well crap)

3) How exactly is the movement around the level done? VFX string? Battlecry style?

What are the chances for a UK release for this game? Europe was lucky enough to get Kengo 2 (released as Sword of the Samurai)...

Is it me or does the slide tool look pretty cheap? Is the bulk of the cost therefore in the discs?

Battle cry isn't as bad of a game as everyone here suggests. I think they are letting their hate of HG get the best of them. Truthfully I would put battlecry on par with VFX2.

Yes there are are levels (usually the city one's that you fly in a box where fighter mode is rendered pretty much useless. Some of the levels are very fun while other suck... so its pretty much like any other game out there. I like the novelty of the cell shading but it really did in my eyes. Give you headaches when you first start playing the game.

Additionally the storyline was interesting. You get a new character with missions interlaced into the macross saga or robotech.

I actually like the controls better than the new macross game. Fighter manuverability is also much better. Gerwalk is better in the new bandai game. Battroid mode is about the same. In battle cry it was easier to shoot down missles while the new bandai game its easier to dodge them.

Last week Fry's electronics had battlecry for $7 and the collectors ed (includes dog tags and t-shirt for $9. I consider this a bargin. For the amount I played battlecry to open up all levels and paint I would be willing to pay $20 for it.

I do think that overall the new bandai macross game is much better overall. I think the fighter controls are very sluggish in the atmosphere but work well in space. Price it cost me---$72 shipped) I think this is too much but what do you expect for an import. and its not like imports get much cheaper with time.

Battle cry isn't as bad of a game as everyone here suggests. I think they are letting their hate of HG get the best of them. Truthfully I would put battlecry on par with VFX2.

I thought Battle Cry was better than VFX-2. Anyone who thinks the PS One 3- D Macross games are good are playing them through Macross-colored glasses. I've owned them all and they truly suck.

1) Are you trapped in a box? (if so, how large is it? time it takes to jet between two sides? bigger than Battlecry?)

Ya you are in a box in the new Macross Game. Some are big, some are small. Very rarely do you run out of room. The one that is kinda tight is TV mission 5 when you are on Mars.

Controls for both games are kinda clunky. Most mech games are. Its just the way it is with the small PS2 controller. Battroid mode is about the same for both. Gerwalk and especially fighter mode are superior in the Macross PS2 game.

Where Battlecry is better than the Macross game is in the variety of missions. The Macross PS2 game really could of used more ground missions. Some say that the Macross game has to follow a more strict story is BS because there are a few new original non canon missions in the game.

The Macross game is less annoying than Battlecry. I like the realistic graphics over Battlecry's cel shaded graphics. Plus the ability to play as the Hikaru VF-1S on the last movie stage kicks ass. lol Anyone sick of Minmay songs can turn the volume down in the options menu lol

What are the chances for a UK release for this game? Europe was lucky enough to get Kengo 2 (released as Sword of the Samurai)...

Slim to none probably.

That still pisses me off. I loved the first Kengo. It's almost as bad as when Shenmue 2 got cancelled for the US Dreamcast because of Microsoft/XBOX but was still released in Europe. At least Way of the Samurai 2 is coming to the US. And a new Tenchu game in the spring.

Honestly. Robotech: Battlecry was a LOT harder than Macross.........I think it took me about a week to finish the entire game. With Macross I finished the whole damned game in one sitting. Hey......apples and oranges.

But. I think both games EXTRA's (espically with Macross' VF-1S') are kinda hard to unlock. B))

Just to let you know, with the help of MW member Valkyrie, I posted a couple of topics in English on the official Japanese BBS for the Macross PS2 game.

My first topic was asking if anybody knew what happened to the missing YF-19, YF-21, VF-0S and SV-51. I did actually get a couple of replies in pretty good English, but it seems like nobody there has any idea either.

My second topic was suggestions for improvements I'd like to see in a sequel game. No replies to this one yet. I tried to keep the English as simple as possible.

Anyway, my personal theory is that either Big West or Bandai decided to pull the other VFs to save them for a sequel game. If a sequel game is based on either Macross Zero or Macross Plus then there should be lots of Valk vs Valk action and hopefully a 2-player vs mode.

Graham

Just to let you know, with the help of MW member Valkyrie, I posted a couple of topics in English on the official Japanese BBS for the Macross PS2 game.

My first topic was asking if anybody knew what happened to the missing YF-19, YF-21, VF-0S and SV-51. I did actually get a couple of replies in pretty good English, but it seems like nobody there has any idea either.

My second topic was suggestions for improvements I'd like to see in a sequel game. No replies to this one yet. I tried to keep the English as simple as possible.

Anyway, my personal theory is that either Big West or Bandai decided to pull the other VFs to save them for a sequel game. If a sequel game is based on either Macross Zero or Macross Plus then there should be lots of Valk vs Valk action and hopefully a 2-player vs mode.

Graham

Thanks Graham and Valkyrie. :)

Sure wish our friends in Japan gather information regarding the Macross Zero and Macross Plus Valks and reply in that message board.

Keep us updated! :)

What am I doing wrong? :huh: I can access some mission with one valk but not with others. And with the bonus valks, I can't effect changes in the game so I can unlock other valks. What do I do? Do I have to start over again to unlock the other valks?!? :(

Mostly, you can only unlock new valks by playing either the ARMD or premethious levels. There are some that can be unlocked via free fight mode. Also in free fight mode some mecha aren't allowed on some levels. You'll find that the GBP isn't allowed on all levels. Some levels you have to use it. Basically because the level was made for the GBP.

Ya not all VF's can used on certain stages in free battle.

Has anyone given up on getting 20 S rankings yet? I quit playing this for about a week and then on Sunday I finally got the last S ranking I needed to get Roy's VF-1S. I must of have died over 50 times on movie stage A 07 until I realized I'm a moron..lol That damn ship at the end...

Has anyone given up on getting 20 S rankings yet?

Well. Considering that the last VF-1 I unlocked was Miria's VF-1J. I guess you can say I've given up on getting 20 S ranks. I mean......it's not like you're getting the BEST of the BEST. You can still used the regular VF-1S and still get the same results. :ph34r:

BTW. How many more S-Ranks before I unlock Hikaru or Max's VF-1S? :D

After reading this 39 pages post last night, I was really hyped about this game & decided to get it from a local import game store, which they have one copy left. I guess it was meant to be mine. :p I actually saw it last time I was there weeks ago, but didn't know anything about the game, and forgot all about it until I accidentally bump into this post. What a revelation it became....

So I spent a couple hours on the game, went through a few stages & the tutorial. I have to say that this game does not disappoint! I was worried that it would be another mediocre attempt of an anime-game adaption, but you guys were right. This game rocks!! It has some short comings, short game length, and some missing features that can really improve this game to greatness. But all by itself, its still a darn good game, and a darn good Macross game. ;) I actually don't mind too much of it being too linear or too little replay value. If I could improve one thing, its the quality of the 3D models. The game looks really nice while playing, and the menus, portraits & voices & music are all excellent. Even the still illustrations don't bother me as they are nicely done. But seems like everytime they have CG cutscenes,especially close-ups, the valks & Macross shows their visual weakness by having a little too low on poly count. I mean, it only takes some bevels on some of the major shapes to round off many of the sharp edges & boxy look, and make the models look much more authentic, without costing too many extra polys. Slightly different treatment on the valks & macross' textures would help too, particular tone down the panel lines a little. It would make this game look so much more polished than it is now. Too bad, just too bad......

I am still getting used to the controls, & particularly sucky in gerwalk mode. :lol: But the gameplay is definitely great, as it is set up to be complicated enough to let you take some time to master it, but open up tons of possibilities once you get the hang of it. You can combine all sorts of lock on, barrel roll, strafe into some real fancy action, taking down hordes of enemy at the same time. This is just too cool.

Does anyone find the Strike VF-1S Fokker on the cover looks weird? The proportion is strange with very short wings & boosters & super long legs, probably due to camera distortion. Wonder why they pick that pic, when the valks are obviously not like that in the game, or from pictures on the back cover. Interesting.

Anyway, just want to share my excitement about this game. What a pleasant surprise. :)

Wow this game is off the hook. I got mine off of e-bay for $62 + $8 shipping. This is without a doubt the best controlled anime robot game I've ever played. The icing on the cake is that it's Macross. I was starting to feel the space combat was getting a little repetetive, but then I played movie levels A-06 and A-07. DAMN. Talk about intense. I have yet to defeat A-07. I have to pump a bunch of missiles into the big purple ship before it fires its main gun, right? But where is the damage meter for it? All I see is the Macross' health, and my time remaining.

Anyway, dealing with groups of 10 Quads is INSANE. Great cinematic camera angles of near miss dodges while firing....awesome.

Love this game, but lament the lack of multiplayer. This would be SUCH an awesome duel game....very similar to the game Max and Miriya played in the arcade...

-Mike

1) How large is the playing box for this game? Do you find yourself smacking against the edges often? Is it noticeable?

2) Do you feel that you are actually flying around, or is it an illusion in the background?

3) Can you turn around by flying a loop upwards or downwards?

Please can someone answer these questions.

EDIT: In battloid mode, is the movement 360? (can you go upside down and stuff)

Edited by red_xavier