Color Code Transformation Guide

Mr March

Due to fan demand (let's be honest, it's Sulendil Ang's constant abuse of me, hahaha) I'm building some colored coded transformation guides for the Macross valkyries. The idea was originally conceived by Kelsain for the VF-25S from Macross Frontier and it seems like an excellent way to help visually aid fans in deciphering the transformation systems of the variable fighter. Now keep in mind the color code guides are not replacements for transformation line art, but they work well as additional visual guides and should entice fans to think through the transformation process. At the very least the color code guides should create more appreciation for all the transformation sequences. I plan to create a color code guide for every valkyrie that has sufficient line art.

For now, here is an example of the "Color Code Transformation Guide: SV-51"

post-114-1225158973_thumb.gif

Edited by Mr March

Due to fan demand (let's be honest, it's Sulendil Ang's constant abuse of me, hahaha) I'm building some colored coded transformation guides for the Macross valkyries. The idea was originally conceived by Kelsain for the VF-25S from Macross Frontier and it seems like an excellent way to help visually aid fans in deciphering the transformation systems of the variable fighter. Now keep in mind the color code guides are not replacements for transformation line art, but they work well as additional visual guides and should entice fans to think through the transformation process. At the very least the color code guides should create more appreciation for all the transformation sequences. I plan to create a color code guide for every valkyrie that has sufficient line art.

great, but sv-51 is quite wide spread now. How about smth as rare as vf-4?

I really need it for modeling reference

Edited by SeminNV

Very nice!!!

You always come up with the coolest stuff...

I wanna be like you when I grow up.....someday... B))

Yeah, I finally see some results. Good job, March!

However, I do think there's room for improvements.

1. I personally prefer if you have separate colour codes for the head and the torso. Take SV-51, for example. Fans (like me) might ask where's the SV-51's head are during the fighter mode, so doing separate codes is more newbie-friendly for the rest of us. :)

2. Can you also apply the colour code into your insert pictures? Again, to make it more newbie-friendly, and comparison between it and the main picture is always fun. :)

I wonder, through, have you done the VF-1/VF-0 yet? I think in terms of transformation, VF-1 is the most simplest and the most iconic, so let's do one for that first, and then we shall see where can we improve the concept. (since I'm much more familiar with VF-1's transformation than the other VF)

Also, I wonder where's the fan-like thing on the back of SV-51 comes from?

Now, get moving and start working! :p:lol:

Edited by Sulendil Ang

Ah, the pest is back :):p

Thanks for the feedback, Sulendil Ang. Here's what I think:

1. I'm using light colors to avoid obscuring the line art itself, so that limits the available colors. It's also important to highlight the most important areas, not "all" areas. Those valkyries with transformations systems that process more parts than others (such as the SV-51) could be broken into dozens of colors, but that would defeat the purpose of a quick reference guide. So I think the SV-51 is good enough without the head separated.

2. I'd like to avoid fully coloring the insert. The point of the insert is to focus attention upon the one part that cannot be highlighted/compared in the regular three-view. Fill the insert with colors and the point of the insert is lost. Also, the insert is not needed for the other colors since those parts can already be seen in the three-view drawings.

Keep in mind, the color code pictures are an aid meant to entice fans to ponder the transformations. I'm actually worried these color code guides might be too detailed, spoiling the fun of deciphering the transformations. But I figure I'm safe, since most of these shows have long past their spoiler dates :)

I have a color code guide for the VF-1J Valkyrie as well, but I'm going to leave it and the rest of the guides for the update of my website.

The lift fans on the upper back of the SV-51 Battroid come from the same magenta colored area of the fighter mode, shown in the insert. The pair of polygonal shaped ports on the lower back are actually a panel; notice the hinge. In Battroid mode, the panel flips down and exposes the two lift fans underneath.

Edited by Mr March

March

Well, I guess we work with a different approach, then. I'm much more technical, so I'm always demanding more details as much as I can, and damn those stupid colours, they just get in my way!!! (Yeah, that's how someone with a total lack of artistic taste talks. :p)

Your point is valid, through. This is not a pre-school colouring contest, and there's no need to fill in every single space with bright colours. It would looks very cheesy. :)

I think I didn't say it clearly about insert colouring. Take the SV-51, for example. Since you have coloured yellow for the intakes, which is featured in the insert, why don't you just put the same yellow colour into the same intakes? I guess it's just me want to be consistent. :)

And don't worry about spoiling the transformation processes. I'm actually suffering to decipher the process, trying to put a 2-D lineart into a 3-D frame. Do you know how many midnight oils and brainpower do I burn just to compute those data? :p And without a model to play with, I don't even know how I come I understand the whole process, so I'm must be brilliant or something. :lol: That's the main reason I request for the pictures from the beginning: to ease the burden of us fanboy. (Ok, ok, I mean me. :p)

BTW, am I correct to assume that the legs (or to be precise, the lower legs sections) of SV-51 turn during a point of transformation? Because without the turning, I can't fathom how the knees end up in its position in the fighter mode.

Edited by Sulendil Ang

I am happy that these color code guides help you.

I agree that spatial relationships in drawn artwork is a reason for building these color coded guides. I've encountered some Macross fans, like Ganbare and yourself, who have trouble with the spatial perceptions that other fans take for granted. The transformations can seem like magic to some. So I figure these guides can assist such fans and maybe even teach something to other fans who already know the process, including me! In building the color code guide, I've learned a few things about the SV-51 transformation that I didn't know before. I've also gained a new appreciation for the SV-51 transformation :)

I don't think coloring the insert is really worth it, for the reasons I listed above, but also for the time spent doing so. I've only built 3 guides so far and there are 15 more to do. So it's considerable work even to do all these simple guides.

Yes, the reason I included the brown color code on the "knees" of the SV-51's legs was so the viewer looking at the guide would realize the legs must rotate at some point in the transformation process so they face front foot forward in Battroid mode.

These are really helpful for those of us messing with 3d modeling and/or animation. I still think the best guide would be a crispy new toy, but it seems that some joker decided that these toys should not only be way out of the price range of a kid, but also out of my price range. Oh well.