Macross Chronicle Translations

Gubaba

I was wondering, has anyone who's working on given any though to ---- after all the issues are out and all these are out of print, obviously ---- making an English translated version of the collected volumes? As in going in and replacing all the original Japanese text with English translations then making it available as a PDF for those of us that can't read Japanese and would like to be able to read the magazine's content without having to go back and forth between the actual magazine and pages of text online.

I think doing this would be a good idea and considering the High unlikelihood that the chronicles will ever be officially released in English anyways, I don't see any problem if whoever makes it waits until all the issues are out to release it.

I was wondering, has anyone who's working on given any though to ---- after all the issues are out and all these are out of print, obviously ---- making an English translated version of the collected volumes? As in going in and replacing all the original Japanese text with English translations then making it available as a PDF for those of us that can't read Japanese and would like to be able to read the magazine's content without having to go back and forth between the actual magazine and pages of text online.

I think doing this would be a good idea and considering the High unlikelihood that the chronicles will ever be officially released in English anyways, I don't see any problem if whoever makes it waits until all the issues are out to release it.

Yeah, I've been mulling that idea over...I think it would be a nice "grand finale' when my Macross Translation problem finishes in about five or six years It depends on how burned out I am by then, though.

Are you volunteering to help out...?

I don't know any Japanese so sadly I can't help out any with actual translation (course if I knew Japanese I probably wouldn't be all that concerned with getting an English translation).

I do have experiance with photoshop and inDesign and have some practice editing in text to comic books.

Edited by anime52k8

That is a fantastic idea! I'd definitely help with that.

If we get a dozen or so people helping out, doing one page a week and the whole thing could be done in a year. The only real work is the typing and everyone does that here anyway :)

That is a fantastic idea! I'd definitely help with that.

If we get a dozen or so people helping out, doing one page a week and the whole thing could be done in a year. The only real work is the typing and everyone does that here anyway :)

from the pages I've seen, you'd need to do some high res scans; cut out the existing text without damaging any of the pictures or backgrounds (in Photoshop); then type up all the titles, captions and paragraphs preferably matching fonts, colors, text size and formatting as best as possible.

the more I think about the more fun it sounds. it would also give me a good exuse to buy the magazines and give me something to do over the summer.

from the pages I've seen, you'd need to do some high res scans; cut out the existing text without damaging any of the pictures or backgrounds (in Photoshop); then type up all the titles, captions and paragraphs preferably matching fonts, colors, text size and formatting as best as possible.

the more I think about the more fun it sounds. it would also give me a good exuse to buy the magazines and give me something to do over the summer.

We don't need that high a resolution. A 600 DPI scan is large enough to make even the smallest credit text legible. Replacing the text would be a simple matter in Photoshop. Compared to the work I put into my website, something like this would be a breeze. The translations are the hard part and 90% of the work. But just scanning and typing is relatively simple. We just need enough people to spread the workload around so it doesn't overwhelm any one person.

Edited by Mr March

Okay! Now that my copy of Macross Chronicle #21 has arrived, I've gotten cracking on the translation of the VF-2SS Valkyrie II mechanics sheet... I ought to have it done by this weekend.

I'm really sorry everyone...

But really, I have my hands full with other SDFM stuff right now. I know I said I would do all the VF-25S-related pages, but I just spent a half-hour on it today, and I didn't even finish the first paragraph.

I won't be able to get to this for a long time to come. I've mapped out what I have to do and how long I think it will take, but considering that my Macross Translation Project is still in its early stages, I'm trying to get as much as possible done while I know I have the time to devote to it, since I really don't know what my life will be like two or three years down the road. (I might do a detailed breakdown of my schedule in the Galaxy Network thread, but I don't want to give *too* much of the game away...not even boinger knows about everything I'm working on...but the basic run-down is like this: if I keep going at the rate I'm going, the subs for the entire Macross oeuvre will take two-and-a-half years; the drama albums will take a little over three years, and the novels will take more than four. That's also assuming that my Japanese stays at the same level it currently is...if it improves, I could be done sooner.)

I do want to find time to finish the three as-yet uncompleted pages I've started, but unless something of dire importance comes up in Chronicle pages, I'll have to put off full translations for a while.

Again, sorry.

But if someone else wants to tackle the VF-25S page, I'd love to read it. :)

Also, I don't want my translations used in such a manner.

Feel free to paraphrase the information for other purposes (such as stats write-ups a la Mr.March's website), but NOT wholesale copy and pasting into something that essentially amounts to ripping off the publication.

(...)

But if someone else wants to tackle the VF-25S page, I'd love to read it. :)

Hmmm... alright. If I feel the motivation to do it, I'll get around to it. But, I'm more interested in a bunch of other stuff before then. See my to-do list here: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/Sketchley/p.../Chronicles.htm

Feel free to paraphrase the information for other purposes (such as stats write-ups a la Mr.March's website), but NOT wholesale copy and pasting into something that essentially amounts to ripping off the publication.

Sounds fair enough to me.

Same here. I'd rather not be involved in any way with what some of you want to do.

I hope you're good at dealing with disappointment, because once those scans/pdfs are released into the wild...

While I fully respect your wishes and desire to protect your work, I feel I need to make an argument in my defense as I find the insinuation that my intentions are somehow nefarious or unscrupulous to be highly offensive.

It has never been, nor will it ever be my intention to use another persons work without their consent and anything done involving translations would of course be done with full consent and input from the original translator. Further more I hardly think that "ripping off" is an appropriate way to describe what I was suggesting. As I (in my view) clearly stated in my initial post, any scanlation produced would not be made publicly available until well after the ENTIRE magazine is out of print so as not to negatively affect primary market sales. An English chronicles scanlation would be done solely for the benefit of English speaking fans who want to have a version the chronicles with statistics and text that can be read IN CONTEXT as apposed to disparate translations spread across the pages of a web forum (such as myself). This is in no way an attempt to undermine the viability of the magazine or in any way make some kind of personal gain beyond the satisfaction of actually contributing something useful or desirable to the fandom.

In my view, this is really no different than releasing a fan sub episode or translated manga. Its an attempt at making the media both accessible and convinient to those not fortunate enough to be fluent in Japanese. I completely agree with the notion that we as fans need to support the franchise by buying legitimate copies of publications and encouraging others to do the same. If there was or is a practical way to assure that only fans who have purchased legitimate copies of the magazine had access to this then I would absolutely support it.

If you aren't interested in being involved that is perfectly fine, I will pursue the matter no further and applaud you for sticking to your principles but DO NOT imply that I'm somehow acting with ill intentions or that I ever planed to steal or in any way misuse anyones work.

anime52k8 has a much more thought out, and much more logical arguement. I still disagree with the project, but I agree to not paint the project in as negative terms as I have been.

As for the "it's the internet" arguement quoted herein - no it's not. The translator has asked that the translations not be used, as is.

If it were your friend asking you the same thing, face to face, would you turn around and betray your friend?

I hope you're good at dealing with disappointment, because once those scans/pdfs are released into the wild...

I still think it's a great idea, but we have to respect the wishes of other fans. Many fans have asked to use certain materials from my website and they have all have respected my conditions. It's only fair to return the courtesy. I agree that it's perhaps something worth revisiting after the publishing run of the Chronicle.

If it were your friend asking you the same thing, face to face, would you turn around and betray your friend?

Nope. I truly believe that everyone in this thread will respect your wishes. But once clean scans, with all of the Japanese text removed, are released onto the web, you can be sure that someone on 4chan or elsewhere will replace the paraphrased English text with your word-for-word translations.

An unfortunate reality. I know portions of my website are already on file sharing websites against my wishes. Many fans have brought it to my attention. It is the nature of the internet that abuses will happen. All I can ask is that people don't do it, but not much else. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has scanned each issue of the Chronicle and uploaded it on some file sharing site right now. 4chan is a good example.

anime52k8 has a much more thought out, and much more logical arguement. I still disagree with the project, but I agree to not paint the project in as negative terms as I have been.

As for the "it's the internet" arguement quoted herein - no it's not. The translator has asked that the translations not be used, as is.

I entirely believe that if you do not wish your translations be used for this purpose, that your wishes should be respected. It is, to a certain extent, your intellectual property after all.

However, I'm just curious about your objections to the project-- to me it seems that such a project is no different from fansubbing. Are you opposed to fansubbing as well, or do you see some intricacies that I have missed?

• 4 weeks later...

Notes: The only reason I decided to work on this was by accident. Really. :wacko: In working on the carriers and ships, I decided to see what they said and found some interesting info contrary to what we have been told. This will be the only parts of the article I will post.

* Acknowledgments: Thanks for Gubaba and Renato for the grammar help.

VF-22S Strumgovel II

Principal Pilot

Gamlin Kizaki

Aircraft Introduction

In the competition, "Super Nova Project", centering around the development of AVF (Advanced Variable Fighter), the YF-21 was beaten by the YF-19 trial prototype, but its active stealth capabilities and payload abilities were evaluated and so it was adopted in small numbers as the special operations forces machine, the VF-22S. The main improvement from the YF-21, the brainwave control system BDI (Brain Direct Image), which was its greatest feature, was significantly simplified, accompanying a manual operating system within a corresponding cockpit. Due to these changes, it succeeded in reducing the enormous cost and in simplifying the equipment, the weight was also reduced. In addition, its pet name, "Sturmvogel", is German for seabirds, like the Storm-Petrel [sea Swallow].

Cockpit

The cockpit is primarily manually controlled but is equipped with the brainwave control system for assistance. The seat is equipped with non-contact connector for brainwave control. The layout is changed in Battroid mode.

Notes: The only reason I decided to work on this was by accident. Really. :wacko: In working on the carriers and ships, I decided to see what they said and found some interesting info contrary to what we have been told. This will be the only parts of the article I will post.

VF-22S Strumgovel II

Principal Pilot

Gamlin Kizaki

Aircraft Introduction

In the competition, "Super Nova Project", centering around the development of AVF (Advanced Variable Fighter), the YF-21 was beaten by the YF-19 trial prototype, but its active stealth capabilities and payload abilities were evaluated and so it was adopted in small numbers as the special operations forces machine, the VF-22S. The main improvement from the YF-21, the brainwave control system BDI (Brain Direct Image), which was its greatest feature, was significantly simplified, accompanying a manual operating system within a corresponding cockpit. Due to these changes, it succeeded in reducing the enormous cost and in simplifying the equipment, the weight was also reduced. In addition, its pet name, "Sturmvogel", is German for seabirds, like the Sea Swallow.

Cockpit

The cockpit is primarily manually controlled but is equipped with the brainwave control system for assistance. The seat is equipped with non-contact connector for brainwave control. The layout is changed in Battroid mode.

Thanks so much for this Azrael! It's cool to know the 22 still has some form of BDI availble to the pilot! :D

VF-22S Strumgovel II

Principal Pilot

Gamlin Kizaki

Aircraft Introduction

In the competition, "Super Nova Project", centering around the development of AVF (Advanced Variable Fighter), the YF-21 was beaten by the YF-19 trial prototype, but its active stealth capabilities and payload abilities were evaluated and so it was adopted in small numbers as the special operations forces machine, the VF-22S. The main improvement from the YF-21, the brainwave control system BDI (Brain Direct Image), which was its greatest feature, was significantly simplified, accompanying a manual operating system within a corresponding cockpit. Due to these changes, it succeeded in reducing the enormous cost and in simplifying the equipment, the weight was also reduced. In addition, its pet name, "Sturmvogel", is German for seabirds, like the Sea Swallow.

Cockpit

That's surprising. But the BCS might explain why Max chose the VF-22S Sturmvogel rather than a VF-19 Excalibur.

• 1 month later...

VF-22S Strumgovel II

Principal Pilot

Gamlin Kizaki

Aircraft Introduction

Cockpit

It explains how Max was able to fly through the melee he did with out much effort. Granted he has mad skills, but mechanically assisted response time sure helps.... B))

It explains how Max was able to fly through the melee he did with out much effort. Granted he has mad skills, but mechanically assisted response time sure helps.... B))

The VF-22S entry (M7 UN mechanical sheet 5A) in Issue #24 does clarify what they're talking about. The BDI system assists the pilot with weapon systems, chaff decoys/flares, and other stuff during combat when high-Gs are required. So it's not really needed to fly the plane. It's darn helpful, but going back from what we knew, the VF-22 is still a manual-controlled plane.

Doesn't 'Sturmvogel' translate to 'Storm Bird', not 'Sea Swallow'?

"Storm Petrel" is probably the closest. I did run ウミツバメ ("umitsubame") by Gubaba and it came down to a literal vs. sound-translation. I can use "Storm Petrel".

"Storm Petrel" is probably the closest. I did run ウミツバメ ("umitsubame") by Gubaba and it came down to a literal vs. sound-translation. I can use "Storm Petrel".

Eh? Don't tell me you are translating a German word into Japanese and then re-translating the Japanese to English!?

I'll ask my German friend to confirm, much simpler.

Also, the Macross Compendium states: -

The VF-22 Sturmvogel II was named after the Messerschmitt Me 262A-2a Sturmvogel (Stormbird), a variant of the first operational jet fighter-bomber placed in actual combat.

Googling any number of sites on the Me 262A-2a Sturmvogel also gets you the English translation of Stormbird.

Graham

Eh? Don't tell me you are translating a German word into Japanese and then re-translating the Japanese to English!?

That's what the Chronicle entry says. I think your fight is with the Chronicle editors, not me.