Macross Chronicle Translations

Gubaba

Final Vegeta, you beat me to that idea!

I had thought about searching in wikipedia earlier today to see what came up for 空力. And it comes up as a redirect to 流体力学, which is linked to the English page for fluid mechanics: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%A9%BA%E5%8A%9B to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_mechanics

Thanks alot! Great work Gubaba! Note-- in Battroid mode-- is it 'wrassling' or wrestling?

The Japanese text has the term for wrestling, but it's written in a slangy, shortened way...so I went with "wrassling" in the translation.

And I appreciate the help everyone's giving me on the demon sentence...but it's really the sentence structure that's giving me problems, not the vocabulary.

A Linear Actuator? That is interesting! I like the sound of it. So there really was something to those "electrical discharges" during transformation beyond just dramatic styling. Wow, the VF-1 transformation time from Fighter to Battroid is 0.9 seconds on manual. If the linear actuator reduces transformation time by two-thirds, that allows the VF-25 Messiah to transform from Fighter-to-Battroid in 0.3 seconds, assuming that the VF-1 is the benchmark for transformation time.

Once again, bravo to Gubaba!

Edited by Mr March

A Linear Actuator? That is interesting! I like the sound of it. So there really was something to those "electrical discharges" during transformation beyond just dramatic styling. Wow, the VF-1 transformation time from Fighter to Battroid is 0.9 seconds on manual. If the linear actuator reduces transformation time by two-thirds, that allows the VF-25 Messiah to transform from Fighter-to-Battroid in 0.3 seconds, assuming that the VF-1 is the benchmark for transformation time.

Well...it could be that it cuts transformation time to two-thirds of the usual time...it's a little unclear... :unsure:

"Linear Actuator" = scientific term for Anime Magic!!!!

With that in mind, no one should be complaining if Bandai's toys & models don't transform quite as they'd prefer. The VF-25 can't actually be kanzen henkei, since it takes its own parts off and puts them back on in different places! (Or - as Micronaut/Microman collectors call it: "Magno Power" or "Magnemo".)

Edited by AcroRay

Mechanic Sheet

Flashback 2012: U.N. Spacy Sheet 01A: SDF-2 Megaroad

Page 1

It became the flagship of the first wave of the Humanity Seeding Project - THE FIRST MEGAROAD CLASS SHIP

Data

Owner: U.N. Spacy

Length: 1,770m

Height: Still Unconfirmed

Width: Still Unconfirmed

Weight: 30,300,000t

Engine: Still Unconfirmed

Thrust: Still Unconfirmed

Max Speed: Still Unconfirmed

Standard Armament: Still Unconfirmed

Development Line

SDF-1 -> SDF-2

Principal Pilot

Misa Hayase

[Picture Caption - Megaroad lifting off] Leaving Macross City, the Megaroad-01 set out on a tremendous journey towards the center of the galaxy.

[Picture Caption - Misa barking orders] The Captain's duties are performed by Major Misa Hayase (later Misa Ichijo), who was the main controller aboard the SDF-1 before her promotion.

Spacecraft Introduction

The Megaroad Class Super Long Range Emigration Fleet Megaroad-01 was called the ark for humanity's journey into space. Undertaking the Humanity Seeding Project, it was the first Emigration Fleet to sail out into the galaxy. This mother ship of the large scale space emigration needed to be able to travel vast distances as well as be a livable environment, so the know-how gained from the SDF-1 was kept alive in its design. The housing capacity was for 25,000 people, a sharp decrease from the SDF-1. But, as the ship was making an incredibly long journey, the need for goods and resources was great, and great strides forward were made in housing. On the other hand, it has only minimum armaments, and since the strength of the hull is also low, it is not suitable for battle. But the ship's primary mission was to protect the seeds of humanity.

Page 2

Spacecraft Introduction*

The Megaroad-01 was initially the Earth-Produced Space Battleship SDF-2, and construction began in November 2003. The project was halted during Space War I, but after the final battle the Humanity Seeding Project was implemented, and building of the craft, now reconceived as an Emigration Ship, resumed in June of 2010. At the same time, the plans to make the ship the nucleus of an entire Emigration Fleet was also begun. Afterwards, in September 2012, the Super Long Range Emigration Fleet Number One left earth with the Megaroad-01 as its flagship. It set off heading towards the center of the galaxy, but after it arrived in the vicinity of the galactic center in July of 2016, all communications from the ship ceased. Feeling nervous about any ill-will directed towards the Seeding Project, the New U.N. Government avoided making the incident public, saying that the Megaroad-01 was still continuing on its way.

[Picture Caption - VF-4] The successor to the VF-1, the VF-4 Lightning, was constructed side-by-side with the Megaroad-01, and was assigned to the ship as fighter accompaniment.

[Picture Caption - The Megaroad leaving earth] The Super Long Range Emigration Fleet Number One comprised the Megaroad-01, and several Zentradi battlecruisers, U.N. Spacy battleships, and others.

*GUBABA'S NOTE: I think this is a misprint. It should probably read "Documentation of Use" rather than "Spacecraft Introduction." But I'm leaving it as-is, just in case I'm wrong.

[Gubaba here: still not done, but I'm nearly there.]

Edited by Gubaba

Well at least we have an upper limit to the transformation time, although I'd expect that there would be improvements in transformation time with each successive VF generation from the VF-1 to the VF-22-- and the dodging of weapons fire by Ozma means that the transformation from Battroid to Gerwalk should at least be as fast as human reaction time, which is about of 0.1 seconds.

Also, even though they are using magnets to shift the parts around (which is another newly developed technology that SK has put into MF) there shouldn't be electrical discharges, especially not in space. The animated discharges are really there for dramatic effect.

Acro-ray: Maybe the partsforming VF100s VF-25 will be the most accurate yet ;)

Gubaba: For the penultimate sentence-- the word 'rigidity'-- would it make sense if it were translated into something like 'military culture/discipline' ? I'd figure that if there are less weapons systems, there would also be less of a military presence, and absent the emergency situations aboard the original Macross, there wouldn't be a need for so much military control.

Gubaba: For the penultimate sentence-- the word 'rigidity'-- would it make sense if it were translated into something like 'military culture/discipline' ? I'd figure that if there are less weapons systems, there would also be less of a military presence, and absent the emergency situations aboard the original Macross, there wouldn't be a need for so much military control.

My kanji dictionary only lists "rigidity" as a meaning (the word is question is 剛性. The first kanji in the word means "hard," "tough," ""stiff," rigid," etc., and the second is the "-ity," a kanji used to change adjectives into nouns), and it's not in my kana dictionary, so that's all I had to go with.

But yes, I think what they're saying is that they wanted the Megaroad-01 to have a loose 'n' free "city" feel, rather than a stiff "city under martial law" feel.

Also, even though they are using magnets to shift the parts around (which is another newly developed technology that SK has put into MF) there shouldn't be electrical discharges, especially not in space. The animated discharges are really there for dramatic effect.

I'm not so sure. If I were an animation director that wanted a visual method for communicating the concept of an electromagnetic transformation system to my audience, I'd probably use something like an electrical discharge or electrical bolt cascading across the hull as it joins two separate pieces together.

I'm not so sure. If I were an animation director that wanted a visual method for communicating the concept of an electromagnetic transformation system to my audience, I'd probably use something like an electrical discharge or electrical bolt cascading across the hull as it joins two separate pieces together.

Exactly! Like I said, for visual effect with no basis in real life. More shades of Aquarion in Mac F from SK I guess ;)

The F-15 can fly after losing one wing, for example. What I don't get is, lifting bodies actually generate more lift the faster you go-- for example, the F-14 at supersonic speeds generates about 70% of its lift from the fuselage rather than the wings. So, if the fuselage lift is enough to sustain flight at subsonic speeds, it should be enough at supersonic speeds as well.

Hmmm, good point. But I'll take a guess at what the Chronicle might be trying to explain. I think that particular section is supposed to be describing the impressive aerodynamic design of the VF-25. The VF-25 lifting body is so impressive that it can fly at subsonic speeds without it's wing if need be. I guess it's saying that it's not just a lifting body, but a "superior" lifting body that can actually provide lift at subsonic speeds unlike most lifting bodies that are designed for supersonic speeds. Maybe? Does that sound right?

Hmmm, good point. But I'll take a guess at what the Chronicle might be trying to explain. I think that particular section is supposed to be describing the impressive aerodynamic design of the VF-25. The VF-25 lifting body is so impressive that it can fly at subsonic speeds without it's wing if need be. I guess it's saying that it's not just a lifting body, but a "superior" lifting body that can actually provide lift at subsonic speeds unlike most lifting bodies that are designed for supersonic speeds. Maybe? Does that sound right?

I would think so-- I'd guess Gubaba would have to weigh in on whether that interpretation would make sense, from the Japanese. I'm not sure that he would like to go back to look at the VF-25S that soon though ^_^

I would think so-- I'd guess Gubaba would have to weigh in on whether that interpretation would make sense, from the Japanese. I'm not sure that he would like to go back to look at the VF-25S that soon though ^_^

I'm just the messenger, folks. I can tell you what it says, but I can't really tell you what it all means.

I'm a Lit Major, not an aerospace engineer...

I'm just the messenger, folks. I can tell you what it says, but I can't really tell you what it all means.

I'm a Lit Major, not an aerospace engineer...

Haha a Lit Major is exactly what we need, after all, what we are discussing are nuances in the text which could give support to an interpretation of it, just like that 'rigidity' word.

Erm, Gubaba hasn't clarified what language he is a literature major in. Not to mention that translation/interpretation is a distinct field from it...

Yes, well, thanks for shooting down my attempt at encouragement.

Back on topic, hopefully the other VF-25 sheets will give clarification on some of the issues that we've had, although I have a sneaking suspicion that large parts will be copied verbatim. We are still missing some details on what kind of special tuning the VF-25S has and the special battle computer AI that is supposed to help squadron commanders.

My kanji dictionary only lists "rigidity" as a meaning (the word is question is 剛性. The first kanji in the word means "hard," "tough," ""stiff," rigid," etc., and the second is the "-ity," a kanji used to change adjectives into nouns), and it's not in my kana dictionary, so that's all I had to go with.

But yes, I think what they're saying is that they wanted the Megaroad-01 to have a loose 'n' free "city" feel, rather than a stiff "city under martial law" feel.

I think it simply meant the ship is lowly armored.

FV

The job you are doing on the translations is astounding, thanks a lot for all your efforts!

Just one quick, question (if I may): in the timeline sheets, whatt's written on the end of the Macross 0 era? I was just curious abouit how the birdman story has been officially interpreted.

I think it simply meant the ship is lowly armored.

FV

Wait...that doesn't make sense. So, in order to reduce armor, they reduced their weapons systems...? That sounds like a lose-lose to me...

The job you are doing on the translations is astounding, thanks a lot for all your efforts!

Just one quick, question (if I may): in the timeline sheets, whatt's written on the end of the Macross 0 era? I was just curious abouit how the birdman story has been officially interpreted.

I've mentioned this before (in the "About the Chronicles" thread, but what you saw is what happened: The Bird-Man folds off, and Shin's VF-0 falls into the ocean but then somehow reappears, emits a strange blue light, and folds off.

Ah, that's good to know. It's still vague, but at least we have the confirmation of a space fold. Good question Nexx.

Well...it doesn't actually use the word "fold."

I'm heading off to work in a few minutes, so I can't do it now, but I'll translate the line when I get home this afternoon.

Well...it doesn't actually use the word "fold."

I'm heading off to work in a few minutes, so I can't do it now, but I'll translate the line when I get home this afternoon.

Ack! :)

Okay. Well if you can let us know what it says, that would be great. Thanks Gubaba