Macross Frontier News Thread V

azrael

Thanks for the interesting info. Do we have any idea if Eva is reaching out to a new, younger audience or is it just the old die-hards getting into it?

Taksraven

Well I for one hope that it's being followed by new fans, I mean, it's be pretty sad if it's just us old fans getting trolled by Anno once again.

Thanks for the interesting info. Do we have any idea if Eva is reaching out to a new, younger audience or is it just the old die-hards getting into it?

Taksraven

TONS of high-school students were at the theater both times I saw the movie, and a lot of them were girls, too.

So if the Sunshine Cinema in Ikebukuro (which, by the way, is also where I saw Eva 1.0) is representative of the whole, I think it's safe to say that Eva is reaching a new crowd.

So if the Sunshine Cinema in Ikebukuro (which, by the way, is also where I saw Eva 1.0) is representative of the whole, I think it's safe to say that Eva is reaching a new crowd.

And that Anno is trolling a new generation of fans.

60% new footage, updated Super pack for the VF-25....and a new look for Brera.

If that's all that is coming out from Newtype's August 2009 issue we might as well just rip out the article....

Just picked up the August Newtype, but no pics of new Super Packs. Wasted HK$120. Very disappointed.

TONS of high-school students were at the theater both times I saw the movie, and a lot of them were girls, too.

They had better appeal to a new generation of fans, cos the older ones like me are getting jaded. I was a fan of EVA even before it was aired and it only existed as production art that were published in NewType and the like. But you can only retread the same old story a number of time AND ask the fans to pay for it before one gets disillusioned by the whole thing.

Fortunately for them they've developed a new storyline for it which makes me excited for it again. Looks like the production team was listening to the old fans about the first movie before embarking on the second.

Btw, which one is Sunshine Cinema? The one which has the HMV store attached to it?

Just picked up the August Newtype, but no pics of new Super Packs. Wasted HK$120. Very disappointed.

Thanks for that Graham, I was going to pick it up for the very same reason.

Btw, have you got your copy of the Variable Fighter Master File VF-1 book? Mine was delayed till this time next week.

Mai, from A Gabriela Robin site, put today this image in her blog, from Newtype magazine.

So, Itsuwari no Utahime will be translated as The false Diva.

Here is a larger version for the Sheryl fans http:// danbooru.donmai.us/data/43e933b1a49e718a1ac258d1975cfccd.jpg remove the space from the name otherwise it doesnt seem to work.

Edited by Sorata

Best hope would be to wait for a DVD, but damn, that looks like it's going to be freakin' awesome. And really, KAWAMORI NEEDS TO STOP TEASING & USE MARI AGAIN PROPER, even if not as Minmay.

stupid Bilra's locket...

Edited by Keith

i apologize for asking something that has probably been asked and answered 100 time already but I cant seem to find a release date for the Macross Frontier movie.

Ive been using the search tool and keep coming up with nothing at all. I know the Bandai 1/60 alto super messiah reissue is coming out in november, is the movie coming out in the fall as well?

thanks

i apologize for asking something that has probably been asked and answered 100 time already but I cant seem to find a release date for the Macross Frontier movie.

Ive been using the search tool and keep coming up with nothing at all. I know the Bandai 1/60 alto super messiah reissue is coming out in november, is the movie coming out in the fall as well?

http://macrossf.com/

2009年11月21日

When I first read the "official" English title a few days ago, I immediately thought that BigWest/Satelight/Kawamori had been looking at these forums. You should not only feel vindicated, you should feel like you were the inspiration for this!

When I first read the "official" English title a few days ago, I immediately thought that BigWest/Satelight/Kawamori had been looking at these forums. You should not only feel vindicated, you should feel like you were the inspiration for this!

Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I mean, didn't some posts from here get featured in some Macross publication some time ago?

Nah...couldn't be. If you want to think that, though, be my guest! :D

Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I mean, didn't some posts from here get featured in some Macross publication some time ago?

I think you're thinking of this:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=29281

It wasn't a Macross publication, it was some guy's blog.

Mai, from A Gabriela Robin site, put today this image in her blog, from Newtype magazine.

So, Itsuwari no Utahime will be translated as The false Diva.

So Sheryl is the False Diva. Something about that just feels so right. Interesting title update.

Here is a larger version for the Sheryl fans http:// danbooru.donmai.us/data/43e933b1a49e718a1ac258d1975cfccd.jpg remove the space from the name otherwise it doesnt seem to work.

Danbooru works on tags. Putting it with a space causing it to look for the tages "Sheryl" and "Nome", which don't exist. It should be seperated by an underscore. So the proper search is "Sheryl_Nome". A little tip for you maniacs.

And one a backtrack note, I want a "I (heart) Minmay" keychain. It'd go well with my signed Mari tour 2005 keychain.

Well, of course. She was artificially brought to her "abilities", Ranka was born with them.
If you are referring to Sheryl's ability to communicate with the Vajra, then yes, she only gained it after Ranka cured her. If on the other hand you are referring to her singing ability, I think that's all her own natural talent. At least I don't recall her being "artificially" brought to her ability, beyond possibly the singing training/coaching that any aspiring pop star would get.

If you are referring to Sheryl's ability to communicate with the Vajra, then yes, she only gained it after Ranka cured her. If on the other hand you are referring to her singing ability, I think that's all her own natural talent. At least I don't recall her being "artificially" brought to her ability, beyond possibly the singing training/coaching that any aspiring pop star would get.

Well, partially, the ability was given to her when she was given the disease by Galaxy in the first place, so in a sense, yes it was "artificially" introduced into her way before ranka came into the picture. which makes me think that the movie will tend to focus a bit on galaxy's attempt to make Sheryl a weapon/link against the vajra.

On the other hand, if the "False Diva" is referring to Sheryl's career as a pop diva being "fabricated" by grace.... well, in reality, whose isn't? (yes, i'm pointing at you American Idol! :p) if you think about it, even ranka's rise to fame was somewhat manipulated.

"The False Songstress" isn't a very good translation; I think "Fabricated" is closer to the meaning but then again not entirely correct. The kanji there, in my own comprehension, means more like "a songstress in an empty dimension", and in a sense also "a songstress conjured out of nothing". (it takes multiple meanings to be a good subtitle right?)

It would then be more descriptive on the situation of Sheryl. And american idols too.

Ranka is a bit different. In the show she is helped and supported, not manipulated. But don't ask me to draw the line between those!

Edited by ff95gj

"The False Songstress" isn't a very good translation; I think "Fabricated" is closer to the meaning but then again not entirely correct. The kanji there, in my own comprehension, means more like "a songstress in an empty dimension", and in a sense also "a songstress conjured out of nothing". (it takes multiple meanings to be a good subtitle right?)

It would then be more descriptive on the situation of Sheryl. And american idols too.

Ranka is a bit different. In the show she is helped and supported, not manipulated. But don't ask me to draw the line between those!

Still not sure where the "False Diva" translation came from - "虚空" translates as "Empty Space" or "Void" - It simply has NO implications of "False", "Falsehood" or "Fabricated."

- Jonias

My guess is translating the literal meaning of the word neglects the context in which the word is being used.

For example, the word empty is defined as "containing nothing."

If I criticize an anime series as "An empty shell of a story," I don't literally mean the anime has no story at all. My context is clearly to criticize the questionable worth of the story as an engaging, entertaining tale.

Edited by Mr March

Is the False Diva title what fans have been translating it as, or is it the English title that the studio is using? I've gotten so used to a lot of anime having English titles that don't actually match the actual Japanese name when translated to English. Sort of how when you translate 新世紀エヴァンゲリオン to English you get New Century Evengelion, yet Gainax makes the official English title Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Is the False Diva title what fans have been translating it as, or is it the English title that the studio is using? I've gotten so used to a lot of anime having English titles that don't actually match the actual Japanese name when translated to English. Sort of how when you translate 新世紀エヴァンゲリオン to English you get New Century Evengelion, yet Gainax makes the official English title Neon Genesis Evangelion.

True, but I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

Astro Boy sounds just as silly as Mighty Atom.

Taksraven

Yeah, it seems we actually have three "official" titles,

the English one: "The False Diva"

the Katakana one: 「イツワリノウタヒメ」

and the Kanji (Chinese??) one: 「虚空歌姫」

If we translate the Katakana one, we do actually get "the FALSE Diva", but, as Jonias said, the kanji in the third title mean "empty" rather than false, though there is still a nuance of falsehood within them (e.g. think of "empty promises").

However, that does not mean anything once you actually realize that 虚空 is not even a word in Japanese. At least I do not think so. If anyone can find a Japanese person who has actually heard of this word (or at least, even give an official reading -- I think it's "kyokuu", but it's just a guess) then please ask them to post here and provide a definition. That's not even a joke, by the way.

Edited by Renato

The words do exist. Just a quick search on Yahoo Japan:

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn/%25B5%...6%25F5/m0b1r1e/

It's basically the same "empty" meaning as its Chinese counterpart.

Yeah, it seems we actually have three "official" titles,

the English one: "The False Diva"

the Katakana one: 「イツワリノウタヒメ」

and the Kanji (Chinese??) one: 「虚空歌姫」

If we translate the Katakana one, we do actually get "the FALSE Diva", but, as Jonias said, the kanji in the third title mean "empty" rather than false, though there is still a nuance of falsehood within them (e.g. think of "empty promises").

However, that does not mean anything once you actually realize that 虚空 is not even a word in Japanese. At least I do not think so. If anyone can find a Japanese person who has actually heard of this word (or at least, even give an official reading -- I think it's "kyokuu", but it's just a guess) then please ask them to post here and provide a definition. That's not even a joke, by the way.

Great! Thanks! You just taught me and my Japanese wife a new word! :lol:

So it's read "kokuu". Hmm. I hate kanji. I really, really do.

Now I have a question, which has been bugging me for a bit now. I'm pretty sure that when you pronounce kanji with furigana, you use the furigana. But when you translate, do you also translate the furigana? Or the kanji? Or some kind of mix of both? I mean, why does "kokuu" have the furigana "itsuwari"?