Macross Frontier News Thread V

azrael

The trailer looks like the same, lazy assed release like they are doing with alot of anime these days. They reuse the TV animation, tack on a few new scenes, and call it a movie. What it ends up being is an uneven, poorly cut, and badly paced production.

Yuck.

WOW!! we went back to 2007 for a preview of the Frontier tv series

what a piece of sh*t trailer, give me back the f*cking minute of my life I completely wasted rewatching clips from the tv show, watching my moldy wall yields more interest and action than this shitty trailer

I think I've seen the clip of the ship getting blasted by the red lobster more than the sky outside my window...

STOP REUSING OLD FOOTAGE AND PUTTING STUPID BIG FONT LETTERS ON TRAILERS... geeeeeeeeeeez

Well it is 2059 :lol:

Anyway I'm beginning to get a feeling that this could be a start of of a movie installment ala Kara no Kyoukai or Evengelion 2.0 .

First arc end with the rescue of the Dulfim.

Guess we would be getting the Gundam movies all over again then. Something for the Attention Deficit Disorder-crowd to watch. Then we would hear complaints that 25 episodes is too long. :rolleyes:

I sincerely hope that the Macross Frontier movie will turn out good, and I don't want to be the bird of ill omen...

But I want to make educated guesses from the trailer.

I must admit that when I watched the trailer of the second movie of Eva I was more excited, which is funny since I don't like Eva that much. The trailer of Rebuild 2.0 showed new animation for old scenes and featured an element of novelty, in the guise of a new character that is packaged with a new Eva.

What this trailer of Macross Frontier movie shows instead is recycled animation on one hand, on the other hand I cannot help but notice that there are a lot of scenes with Alto together with Sheryl (with Sheryl having a new purple outfit), while Ranka is alone, is crying, is asking Alto what he thinks of Sheryl (what about the KIRA?). While probably some kind of Alto x Sheryl ending does not come exactly a surprise at this point, the lack of any subtlety about the love triangle as presented by the trailer seems to confirm the presence of Ohnogi once again.

If Kawamori were dominant in the project, at least in the trailer he would play with the audience in his typical fashion, but with Ohnogi what you see is really what you get, and I don't expect it to get much better. Supposedly, this movie seems to be about Alto and Sheryl, which in turn is likely to mean that:

-Alto will not truly feel like a main character. Sheryl will out-main character him in the key scenes.

-Although Ranka is the character with the most important plot device, Ohnogi will try to downplay her. The funny thing is how the movie will also try to enhance the career of Megumi Nakajima.

-Underdeveloped Galaxy villains with poorly explained mastermind plan.

-Not much VF-25 VS VF-27.

-The final battle will play out in mostly the same way.

(I just hope there is no Grace x Sheryl rape scene)

I personally think that Team Frontier (Alto, Ranka, Bilra) VS Team Galaxy (Brera, Sheryl, Grace) (Ranka in Battle Frontier, Sheryl in Battle Galaxy) as setup in the climax would offer the most meaningful symmetry, and would also offer more possibilities to develop Galaxy's side, but the problem with Ohnogi is that he inserted in his episodes so much Sheryl x Alto that even the littlest twist will automatically mean more Alto x Ranka, therefore I think he will try to keep the plot as faithful to the series as possible, save for the creativity in the encounters between Sheryl and Alto.

In short, the same flaws of the series, but packaged with more detailed textures. And I am not sure about the latter. Although it is partly because there are only scenes supposed to happen early in the movie, I am underwhelmed. The teaser does not tease.

FV

What does the "G" stand for at the beginning and end of the trailer that's superimposed on the Macross Frontier logo? Does it stand for something?

And yes, for those trolls out there, I did think of "Gundam."

Now that's out of the way ( :p ), seriously, what does it imply? And for those who can read kanji, what does the character in the circle mean?

What does the "G" stand for at the beginning and end of the trailer that's superimposed on the Macross Frontier logo? Does it stand for something?

And yes, for those trolls out there, I did think of "Gundam."

Now that's out of the way ( :p ), seriously, what does it imply? And for those who can read kanji, what does the character in the circle mean?

I'm guessing that the G stands for Genkijouban (aka movie in Japanese).

Well it is 2059 :lol:

Anyway I'm beginning to get a feeling that this could be a start of of a movie installment ala Kara no Kyoukai or Evengelion 2.0 .

First arc end with the rescue of the Dulfim.

To be quite fair, Kara no Kyoukai movies were planned that way, otherwise they wouldn't be able to explore the depth of each of the novel chapters. If they didn't they'd likely end up with what happened with the Tsukihime anime and suffer the ensuing fan outrage (which I thought was unfair, the makers were limited in time and budget for it and were more successful in evoking the atmosphere of the game's story). They also did the Kara movies well, which is more than what I could say for the Fate/Stay Night anime. They stayed largely true to the game's story there but it was quite generic in it's execution and boring in the end, something that can't be said for the fan maligned Tsukihime anime.

As for Evangelion 2.0, that's not even worth arguing for. We all know where the decision to make them comes from. $$$

If the Frontier movie goes the way of instalments, I wouldn't mind at all. The story would most likely be more streamlined and to the point. Of course the idea has never been new, this was done all the way back with the original Gundam movies and that served as a good way to get into the story of the series in three movies rather than sit through the entire tv series which in the end had quite a bit of chaff.

*sigh*

Yeah, yeah. I know. The whole industry is a business after all, if there's money to be made there why not. I was just making a jab at how it's continuing to whip a dying(dead) horse.

Seriously though, where are all these people who are continuing to buy into this series coming from? Are they in it to relieve the nostalgia of the series? Or are they really just hoping for a different ending this time around?

WOW!! we went back to 2007 for a preview of the Frontier tv series

what a piece of sh*t trailer, give me back the f*cking minute of my life I completely wasted rewatching clips from the tv show, watching my moldy wall yields more interest and action than this shitty trailer

I think I've seen the clip of the ship getting blasted by the red lobster more than the sky outside my window...

STOP REUSING OLD FOOTAGE AND PUTTING STUPID BIG FONT LETTERS ON TRAILERS... geeeeeeeeeeez

that trailer makes me want to do what your avatar is doing Valkyrie addict,lol.

good to see some news on it,and the pictures are nice,but i agree with the trailer,Nothing new at all...I want to see some new battles,new newness...

Yeah, yeah. I know. The whole industry is a business after all, if there's money to be made there why not. I was just making a jab at how it's continuing to whip a dying(dead) horse.

Eva 1.0 was the number one box-office champ in Japan for quite a few weeks. That doesn't sound like a dead horse to me.

Seriously though, where are all these people who are continuing to buy into this series coming from? Are they in it to relieve the nostalgia of the series? Or are they really just hoping for a different ending this time around?

Are you asking me personally?

Hmm...nostalgia or hope for a different ending. Are those my only choices? Could be possible that I just love Eva? I loved the TV series, I loved the movies, I loved Eva 1.0. As for where I came from, um, I was born in Santa Monica Hospital.

Back to the Frontier movie, I really don't get the people complaining about how long we have to wait for the movie. Clearly they don't remember the six-month wait between episodes of Macross Zero...

Back to the Frontier movie, I really don't get the people complaining about how long we have to wait for the movie. Clearly they don't remember the six-month wait between episodes of Macross Zero...

Yeah, I stopped waiting for the next Zero episodes because I had other crap to worry about. By the time the final eps. were released, I was surprised because I actually forgot about it.

Edited by Einherjar

Hmm. Perhaps Eva seems done to me as I've made my peace with it long time ago with the end of the TV series. The movie after it seems to be more of a message statement by the director to the fans as it is supposed to be a conclusion to the story to me. As a result everything after the TV series seems unnecessary to me but I take your point Gubaba.

I kinda envy you that you could still enjoy the series especially since they're still producing works for it. I enjoyed the series and I heartily acknowledge it's impact that any other works have yet to come close to in both financial and critical success, it's just that the continuous exposure and constant remakes starts to wear down the emotional impact the series had with me way back then.

I'm going to leave this at that now since this is actually a Frontier thread and not the general anime thread.

In regard to the wait for the Frontier movie, I think that's just a result of un-realistic expectations of the now ADD generation. They don't know that each TV episode takes months to make ahead of time and since they're broadcast weekly they think it takes no time at all to make a movie straight after the series ended. It's that and the pushed back release date which is driving them into a greater frenzy.

i'm just glad were getting another macross movie after two decades, even if the material is not entirely new.

not bothered at all with reusing footage as the source material is pretty good if perhaps a bit uneven in terms of polish (which is one thing i think they'll definitely address in a condensed movie). it's not like they're reusing SDF footage for a DYRL production.

i'm thinking that even if the amount of new scenes is limited, they may nonetheless prove pivotal in improving the flow of the story and/or provide that extra level of development for the aspect of the series they want to capture in the movie. think of director's cut versions of some movies which have benefitted (or otherwise) from just a few scenes changed or added. bladerunner and kingdom of heaven comes to mind.

if anything, i don't want them to be too ambitious about changing or creating new stuff particularly if they are going on the re-telling route. i would rather they focus on telling a tighter more coherent story.

I hate to say this but, I think the Macross Frontier movie is going to be a let down. If all they do is edit the tv show into a 2-hour movie with a few new scenes then it truly would be a waste of their time and ours. Stop and think about DYRL. Can you imagine the Macross movie being the tv series re-edited, with a few new scenes? The exact same animation fans saw on tv being played on the big screen, instead of the newly drawn and re-designed movie we have? It would be a joke!

I hope I'm wrong, however I don't have much hope for the big MacF movie. :unsure:

I'm not so sure. A majority of the fans enjoyed the Macross Plus movie more than the series, even though 90% of the movie is simply recycled footage.

Apples and oranges. There are many of us here who absolutely LOVE Gurren Lagann, but felt utterly let down by the "movie".

Macross Plus was a short OVA, cutting it into a movie was no big deal. Cutting down a 25 episode TV series into a movie is a completely different story.

Apples and oranges. There are many of us here who absolutely LOVE Gurren Lagann, but felt utterly let down by the "movie".

Macross Plus was a short OVA, cutting it into a movie was no big deal. Cutting down a 25 episode TV series into a movie is a completely different story.

Gurren Lagann? That would be apples and oranges :)

But seriously, I don't see length being of any consequence in the Macross Plus example, especially when that criticism is avoiding the issue, which is that a Macross movie can be better even using re-used footage.

I will say that as much as I am looking forward to the MF movie, I'd much rather they make the film into a 2 hour episode ala Knockin' on Heaven's Door.

I heard SDF Macross was 36 episodes and Macross 7 was 49 episodes ;)

On top of that, there is plenty of material they can cut out from the series itself to make things work. I don't think episode length will be much of a problem if they handle the plot points well enough. People being so pessimistic about the movie is pretty contagious but I for one won't make much of it. I'd rather just wait and see how it comes out, Kawamori has had plenty of time to think about what to do in the movie and I'm pretty sure there are things that he wanted to do with certain characters that he didn't get a chance to do, especially considering how much involvement Ohnogi got in the most important parts of the series. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he was planning things out a little better during the time he handed the "reins" to Ohnogi (but that is purely a guess on my part). I won't get my hopes up but I won't be pessimistic about it either, just wait and see before jumping to conclusions.

Edited by DeX-kun

Kawamori has had plenty of time to think about what to do in the movie and I'm pretty sure there are things that he wanted to do with certain characters that he didn't get a chance to do, especially considering how much involvement Ohnogi got in the most important parts of the series. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he was planning things out a little better during the time he handed the "reins" to Ohnogi (but that is purely a guess on my part).

Does anyone have PROOF of this? Why is Ohnogi listed NOWHERE on the credits for the show? Why is he not mentioned in ANY of the books on Frontier? Why does everyone assume these Bobby/Ohnogi radio interviews are real when NO ONE has heard them?