What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

Patlabor 3 is more of a detective story rather than a labor story like the 2 other films.

The artwork is different too as well as the director (not Mamoru Oshii).

Is worth watching but th original OVA, TV series, new TV series, movie 1 and 2 are all far better.

Recently finished the second season of Gunslinger Girl. Nice story and characters. Dreadful animation for the first six episodes, then back to normal. It was as if they had two different studios involved with each half. Actually the intros clearly reflect this.

Currently watching Gurren Lagaan for a 2nd time. And Claymore for a third time. :)

Yeah, I've read a couple of reviews and they are all pretty negative. Is it really that different from the rest of the Patlabor franchise?

It's not a bad movie, just a bad Patlabor

Actually, it's a Patlabor because there's the Patlabor name written on it, otherwise it could be anything else...

It's not a bad movie, just a bad Patlabor

Actually, it's a Patlabor because there's the Patlabor name written on it, otherwise it could be anything else...

Thanks for the heads up. Will probably try to watch it online instead then...

Just finished watching Patlabor 2. Enjoyed it immensely just like I did with the first one. I did however miss a bit of the sense of humour that makes the OVA so special.

Watching the character of Shinobu Nagamo, I can't help but feeling that her some of elements of her character were later to influence the Major's character in Ghost in the Shell.

Just Finished watching Chrome Shelled Regios, a series about a team of students from Miltary Academy that fights off mutated creatures in the distant future.

I must say this is a pretty enjoyable series with the right balance of action, suspense and humor (9.5/10). The characters worked out well with good chemistry. Thoughout the series, I can't help but think how it has that "Full Metal Panic" feel to character interactions. ^_^

The main character, Layfon, is an top notch teammate in the 17th Platoon who is extemely skilled at fighting but clueless about girls. Nina is the 17th Platoon captain who is skilled at leading the group and interested in Layfon but never really telling him about it. Felli is another member of the platoon with phychokinetic powers, and she also has an interest in Layfon. Felli always kicked Layfon in the shin when she gets angry ot jeolous, like how Chidori smacks Sagara in Full Metal Panic. Lots of character developement along the way with some goofy humor and situations thrown in.

Layfon (excellent fighter, clueless about girls) = Sagara (excellent fighter, clueless about girls)

Nina (strong headed girl who likes Layfon) = Chidori (Strong/crazy headed girl who likes Sagara)

Felli (white hair girl who likes Layfon) = Tessa (white hair girl who likes Sagara)

There are lots of open ends and unanswered questions after 25 episodes. So it looks like the story will continue when season 2 (Chrome Shelled Regios: Fumoffu???) comes out later this year.

Yeah, I've read a couple of reviews and they are all pretty negative. Is it really that different from the rest of the Patlabor franchise?

The best thing about WXIII, was that when I rented it many years ago, it had a trailer for Mahoromatic! At which point I immediately picked up Mahoromatic!! (well, not immediately enough, I missed some of the first press extra's).

The best thing about WXIII, was that when I rented it many years ago, it had a trailer for Mahoromatic! At which point I immediately picked up Mahoromatic!! (well, not immediately enough, I missed some of the first press extra's).

And the sweet presence of Mahoro was more than worth it I guess :)

Since I'm sort of finished with the Patlabor series for the moment, I've just started watching Legend of Galactic Heroes; Spiral Labyrinth. So far so good. It follows pretty much the same formula as LOGH and since its a prequel, there's a lot of characters from the original running around. I don't expect to be anything as good as the original series, but then again, very few anime are on that level.

Turn A was a good enough show, but yeah, that theme song really brought the show down a notch or 2.

If you want to know whether or not you should watch it, do what I did. Skip the theme song each episode and be patient for the first 20-25 episodes. It will be slow, but the wait will be worth it.

V Gundam. The opening song sucks so much that I'm really contemplating not watching it.

What are you talking about, STAND UP TO THE VICTORY was freakin' awesome. Besides, if you turn back now, you'll never see one of the top most tweaked moments in anime.

That's right, I'm talking about Usso's mom getting her head lopped off by one of the tire mecha right in front of him

Oh and Katajina, crazy female is thy name!

Edited by Keith

V is definitely one of the best Gundam shows ever: it'd be a shame to miss it because of an opening song that you can skip in pressing just one button...

watched the 1s episode of Kiddy Girl-And ....and....errr....i'm not sure i want to continue.

Wasn't that great a fan of the 1s kiddy grade anime but this....words can't describe it.

I catched the 1st ep of Sora No Woto. Expecting "Military K-On" like most people, I might be surprised.

It seems to contain sci-fi/fantasy elements, .... and perhaps even mecha? That tank that the Nagato-lookalike was servicing looked awesome.

After seeing the 2nd episode there is little doubt...it's not k-on in a new setting it's not even /k/-on (I though that nickname was quite cute, for those familiar with 4chan).

Post-apocolyptic, 10 remaining spider tanks, a missing original 5th member of the platoon.

and ghosts that will creep you right out. Plus a crazy awesome owl.

I finished Shin Mazinger over the weekend, and it's as hot-bloodedly awesome as expected. :) about the ending, are they planning another season, or are the 1st 2 episodes supposed to act as the ending to that already?

also watched up tp episode 7 of Darker than Black S2 last night. i like it. cool to see Hei without any powers, but still kickin' a$s. i'll be watching the rest tonight.

next up on my queue: Summer Wars, Natsu no Arashi.

by the way, is Viper's Creed any good? i have a copy at home, but i can't seem to be interested enough to watch beyond the intro.

[...]

by the way, is Viper's Creed any good? i have a copy at home, but i can't seem to be interested enough to watch beyond the intro.

Not really: it starts rather good, then slowly but surely pits down until it becomes barely watchable...

Mecha designs are cool though

Sup all, I used to post here a lot but realised the other day that I haven't done so in over a year. :blink:

Any good mecha animes out there at the mo? I haven't really watched anything new since the triple whammy of Eureka Seven, Gurren Lagann and Gundam 00.

Obviously looking forward to Gundam UC, started watching Viper's Creed but it was boring. Was watching that one with the German motocycle racer who turns into a man monster but I lost the plot around the time it started banging on about plauges and mass produced transforming military motorcycles came into it.

Not really: it starts rather good, then slowly but surely pits down until it becomes barely watchable...

Mecha designs are cool though

I actually disagree. I thought the beginning was barely watchable, but the last story arc was excellent. Wish there'd been more of that.

Is that a new Garland in your avatar? :huh:

In my avatar? New Garland and MOSPEADA from the cover of Nandy's "Animation Bikes" book that came out about a year or two ago, drawn by Shinji Aramaki.

My computer was dead last week, so i was shut off from most of my anime collection. But, i pulled out my DVDs of Excel Saga and had some zany laughs. Man, this show is so funny; undoubtedly the funniest anime series i've ever seen.

I also downloaded (since i finally fixed my pc a couple of days ago) the new Inuyasha episodes. I totally went through a nostalgia trip watching it, since i was really into it when i was in high school. I'm glad they finally decided to finish the series, the way they ended the series the first time was very disappointing. I only wish more unfinished anime series would have their conclusions animated.

My computer was dead last week, so i was shut off from most of my anime collection. But, i pulled out my DVDs of Excel Saga and had some zany laughs. Man, this show is so funny; undoubtedly the funniest anime series i've ever seen.

I also downloaded (since i finally fixed my pc a couple of days ago) the new Inuyasha episodes. I totally went through a nostalgia trip watching it, since i was really into it when i was in high school. I'm glad they finally decided to finish the series, the way they ended the series the first time was very disappointing. I only wish more unfinished anime series would have their conclusions animated.

I'm looking at you Fruits Basket!

Holy crap, Summer Wars was awesome!! a wonderful movie. I was emotionally invested the whole time. 2 masterpieces in a row by Mamoru Hosoda.

it had an old-school miyazaki feel to it. the way characters were so believable and relatable, and their interactions so natural. i LOVED this movie. :)

I absolutely love the Picasso-inspired op for Sora No Woto!

I don't see any Picasso there - Gustave Klimt yes, but Picasso? Hontoni?

Anyway Watched the first two eps. Not bad, still to early to say it's fabulous but it is not terrible. But Moe-less? I DON'T THINK SO!

Anyway Watched the first two eps. Not bad, still to early to say it's fabulous but it is not terrible. But Moe-less? I DON'T THINK SO!

sorawotokon.jpg

Definitely Klimt inspired. Picasso not so much.

The art of the OP is in fact a bit reminiscent of the OP of Elfen Lied...