What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

Started watching Maria + Holic. Hilarious.

Girl transfers to a Catholic girl's school. Due to some childhood trauma, she has a phobia against guys which leads to her having "lesbian" tendencies. Catholic girl's school filled with pure maidens = Perfect hunting ground. She meets a princessy kind girl, the perfect girl....only to discover, that he's a sadistic crossdressing guy that enjoys seeing girls suffer.

Directed by Shinbo and animated by SHAFT of Negima?! and Tsukuyomi Moonphase fame.....couldn't stop laughing. :lol:

Watching Zambot 3 hearing that it was one of Tomino's kill em all messed up series like zeta gundam and the like... and I'm very disappointed. The first episode I thought I was hi watching it... 8 year old biker gangs fighting each other with anchors... ok... :unsure:

Then it fell into the average giant robot show with grandpa learns of alien invasion makes giant robot and such from ancient tech then gives it to annoying 8 year old grandson. Absolutely retarded villain shows up who at first seemed like a dumb looking but menacing villain but his goofy kid friendliness overshadowed any bad deed hes ever done so far. Like when they found the reflecting jewel and they accidently blew themselves up loony toon style...

I'm a little over half way through the show and aside from lots of shots of civilians dieing and them whining about how Zambot should fight away from cities it seems the run of the mill giant robot show. :huh:

Now as far as a Normal giant robot show its pretty good a little goofy a little serious, lots of recycled gattai scenes and stupid as hell looking monsters that always attack one at a time

Watching Zambot 3 hearing that it was one of Tomino's kill em all messed up series like zeta gundam and the like... and I'm very disappointed. The first episode I thought I was hi watching it... 8 year old biker gangs fighting each other with anchors... ok... :unsure:

Then it fell into the average giant robot show with grandpa learns of alien invasion makes giant robot and such from ancient tech then gives it to annoying 8 year old grandson. Absolutely retarded villain shows up who at first seemed like a dumb looking but menacing villain but his goofy kid friendliness overshadowed any bad deed hes ever done so far. Like when they found the reflecting jewel and they accidently blew themselves up loony toon style...

I'm a little over half way through the show and aside from lots of shots of civilians dieing and them whining about how Zambot should fight away from cities it seems the run of the mill giant robot show. :huh:

Now as far as a Normal giant robot show its pretty good a little goofy a little serious, lots of recycled gattai scenes and stupid as hell looking monsters that always attack one at a time

Well...yeah. It's important to remember that Zambot was the first show that Tomino both wrote and directed. As such, it sows him beginning to go on the path of bleakness that would lead to Gundam, Ideon, and Dunbine But it is indeed only a beginning.

I really like the show, though. It sags a bit in the middle, but the final bunch of episodes get really good.

Well...yeah. It's important to remember that Zambot was the first show that Tomino both wrote and directed. As such, it sows him beginning to go on the path of bleakness that would lead to Gundam, Ideon, and Dunbine But it is indeed only a beginning.

I really like the show, though. It sags a bit in the middle, but the final bunch of episodes get really good.

Well I'll finish Zambot 3 for sure I also just watched the episode where the Gaizock are kidnapping people and sending them into society with bombs into them :blink: Pretty freaky although the rest of the episode was kinda wierd with the little kids fighting sharks and the 2nd in command eating rice balls and stuff.

As for tomino in General I find his work VERY upbeat or VERY depressing.

Gundam - Ends on a brutal note

Ideon - Same

Xabungle - VERY different only saw the first 4 eps subbed and watched the rest raw but like damn totally different I mean they throw a giant bomb at the enemies and the two dumb rival characters just turn black and run away swearing vengence... :huh:

Dunbine - Ends on a brutal but with a semi-positive hopeful ending too

L-Gaim - Only saw the first few eps subbed but it seemed far less brutal then most his shows and I've never heard of a apoctalypic ending like Dunbine or Ideon

Z Gundam - Once again back to crazy brutal ending

ZZ Gundam - bi-polar series contains both happy tomino and KILL EVERYONE tomino but happy tomino wins in the end... Judea's sister come on...

CCA - Killed off whoever was living or wrote them out :lol:

F-91 and V - Created new casts JUST to kill off

Brain powered - Never seen it

Turn A - ...Gundam... but... everyone doesn't die and becomes the best series of them all wow... out of no where

King Gainer - ....Tomino on crack ??

So all in all I think he just didn't want to work on gundam :lol:

Edited by bob joe mac

Well I'll finish Zambot 3 for sure I also just watched the episode where the Gaizock are kidnapping people and sending them into society with bombs into them :blink: Pretty freaky although the rest of the episode was kinda wierd with the little kids fighting sharks and the 2nd in command eating rice balls and stuff.

As for tomino in General I find his work VERY upbeat or VERY depressing.

Gundam - Ends on a brutal note

Ideon - Same

Xabungle - VERY different only saw the first 4 eps subbed and watched the rest raw but like damn totally different I mean they throw a giant bomb at the enemies and the two dumb rival characters just turn black and run away swearing vengence... :huh:

Dunbine - Ends on a brutal but with a semi-positive hopeful ending too

L-Gaim - Only saw the first few eps subbed but it seemed far less brutal then most his shows and I've never heard of a apoctalypic ending like Dunbine or Ideon

Z Gundam - Once again back to crazy brutal ending

ZZ Gundam - bi-polar series contains both happy tomino and KILL EVERYONE tomino but happy tomino wins in the end... Judea's sister come on...

CCA - Killed off whoever was living or wrote them out :lol:

F-91 and V - Created new casts JUST to kill off

Brain powered - Never seen it

Turn A - ...Gundam... but... everyone doesn't die and becomes the best series of them all wow... out of no where

King Gainer - ....Tomino on crack ??

So all in all I think he just didn't want to work on gundam :lol:

I haven't seen all of Xabungle, L-Gaim, or Brain-Powerd, and I haven't seen ANY of Turn-A (which is high on my list) or King Gainer (which isn't), but in general, I agree with your assessment...he's either much too light, or incredibly bleak. And yeah, V Gundam especially seems to be him taking out his frustrations on the cast. Damn good show, but still...

And if you've hit the human bomb section of Zambot, it should be clear sailing through to the end. But I think the reasons you feel on the fence about it are the very same reasons I love it...I adore how it seems so kiddy for 85% of each episode, only to have random people start blowing up, or politicians attached to balloons getting shot at. And as it gets close to the end, they start taking out members of the main cast...

Started watching Maria + Holic. Hilarious.

Girl transfers to a Catholic girl's school. Due to some childhood trauma, she has a phobia against guys which leads to her having "lesbian" tendencies. Catholic girl's school filled with pure maidens = Perfect hunting ground. She meets a princessy kind girl, the perfect girl....only to discover, that he's a sadistic crossdressing guy that enjoys seeing girls suffer.

Directed by Shinbo and animated by SHAFT of Negima?! and Tsukuyomi Moonphase fame.....couldn't stop laughing. :lol:

Just watched 2 episodes myself. Best new show of the season. I'm sure this series will annoy some of those yuri-fan folks but I think this show is brilliant. Not to mention absolutely hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

Pinned into my bed during 2 weeks because of a bad lumbago, I took the opportunity to watch the first part of the first season of Skyland (not an anime but hey! it's french ^^ ): beautiful scenery, great lightings, nice action but in the end it's still a show for the youth; pretty entertaining though

I also rewatched Macross 7 which is still the best Macross show for me, and hands down

Otherwise, and because I had the good idea to buy a PS2 just before having my back scream, I played Gungriffon Blaze (which becomes tiring very fast...) and Robotech: Battlecry (which is not bad at all in terms of visuals but controls suck big hairy balls...)

I resumed yesterday my watching of Linebarrel which is definitely some sort of parody and not supposed to be taken seriously IMO

Concerning Gundam, I think you, VFTF1, should keep in mind that the very original concept has been considerably butcherized because of all sorts of influences such as the sponsors (for example, the parts of the story which happens on Earth are there to allow the viewers understand that the MS are actually giant, in comparing their size with the surroundings: this was done at the request of the toys maufacturers, or so the rumors say; MS were supposed to be powered armors at the beginning of the project, to keep close to the original concept which was inspired by Heinlein's Starship Trooper) or simply in-between staff fightings (for example, Cucuruz Doan's Island, the infamous 'lost episode', was done against the will of Tomino who always opposed it be included in the US release: other rumors say that Tomino will give the names of the culprits only when they'll be dead): because of all these shits, First finally became some sort of not well finished bastard, all the more as its audience ratings were poor and the show was finally cancelled before reaching the planned ending. It still planted the seeds of what is now the 'real mecha' genre and because of that deserves to be respected, all the more as this also allowed SDF to become what it was, among many others. As for the AU, most of them are good: I don't think you'll lose your time in giving a chance to each of them (except W which is really painful, and G-Saviour is simply out of place IMO...)

I've been watching Casshern Sins, and i found it fantastic. i've only seen up to ep7 though, but i'll definitely be following it.

also, gundam 00 2nd season up to ep8. i'm liking it. no wonder, since i liked the first season. it's always amusing to see anime characters actually grow up.

I just a got a hold of the complete series of Nabari no Ou, but the OP and the first few scenes seem to bore me already. has anyone seen it? any good?

it's getting harder to watch anime beyond the first episode these days. sigh.

any other recommendations? :)

Halfway through "The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya".

Makes me want to be 16 again ^_^ .

Halfway? I marathoned the whole thing in a day, and truly, highschool is wasted (like youth) on the young.

I'm just 6 episodes away from finishing Batman TAS (never realized that show was so long), and after that, either Last Exile, Ergo Proxy, Overman King Gainer, oh who am I kidding, my queue is overbooked right now :) Maybe Code Geass, it's so damn hard to decide.

Edited by Keith

me too. and i wished it could go on. yes, both the show and my youth. :)

Aren't they working on a second series right now? Though I thought it was supposed to premiere this past season, may pop up after 00 is finished. If you haven't watched it, School Rumble is pretty damn good too, and a good tide over until more Haruhi pops up.

Edited by Keith

Aren't they working on a second series right now? Though I thought it was supposed to premiere this past season, may pop up after 00 is finished. If you haven't watched it, School Rumble is pretty damn good too, and a good tide over until more Haruhi pops up.

Nothing beyond hinting and rumours now. KyoAni is still doing Clannad After Story and another Full MEtal Panic so the next Haruhi anime looks pretty far away. There were even rumours that they might remake it.

Hmm, I can settle for some FMP for now, but we definately need sequal, not remake. Not that a remake would be entirely out of character...

yeah. interestingly enough, a remake would be perfectly in character. don't know if i would be pissed off or amused, though. but imagine a remake where "kyon" knows it's a remake. could be fun. :p

yeah. interestingly enough, a remake would be perfectly in character. don't know if i would be pissed off or amused, though. but imagine a remake where "kyon" knows it's a remake. could be fun. :p

Kyon wakes up, goes to school, notices, and just slaps himself on the forehead..perfect!

Finished Haruhi Suzumiya. Absolutly fantastic series and I'll rewatch it soon again. So many anime references, homages and little plot details.

Halfway? I marathoned the whole thing in a day, and truly, highschool is wasted (like youth) on the young.

Don't have the time on any given day to watch 14 anime episodes in a row unfortunatly .

Nothing beyond hinting and rumours now. KyoAni is still doing Clannad After Story and another Full MEtal Panic so the next Haruhi anime looks pretty far away. There were even rumours that they might remake it.

Yea, there are rumours . New types march issue should contain more info, but many fans feels it's a hoax to sell more copies. The last episode of the manga is due to arive in April. Hopefully that will create the incentive for the anime. Surprising that KyoAni haven't jumped on the succes of this series more.

Finished Haruhi Suzumiya. Absolutly fantastic series and I'll rewatch it soon again. So many anime references, homages and little plot details.

I hope you also saw the previews after each episode, for the macross 7 reference. :)

Finally got me a copy of Ga Rei Zero. Hopefully i can watch it over the weekend.

Edited by dreamweaver13

I hope you also saw the previews after each episode, for the macross 7 reference. :)

Finally got me a copy of Ga Rei Zero. Hopefully i can watch it over the weekend.

"Watashi no uta wo kike! Booommmbbbaaa!!

That one is pretty much burned in my memory. Didn't expect to hear it in MoHS. Pleasant surprise ^_^

Anime:

2nd Season of Hajime no Ippo

Linebarrel

Tales of the Abyss

Manga:

- 20th Century Boys

- Hajime no Ippo (as they come out)

- Pluto

Go read all of Mitsuru Adachi's stuff!

Has anyone heard about Darker Than Black? I watched the first episode, but didn't feel particularly drawn in.

Watched Kara No Kyokai 5, 2 hours movie.

Movie could've been shorter if it didn't skip all over the place so much. If you thought Knk series' timeskips was annoying, then what would you think if the whole 2 hours of ep5 was timeskips?

I don't find any reason why the narrative should be done this way. I'm sure the book wasn't this way either. Was it probably just to be pretentious and to be "in-theme" with the whole rassen philosophy or perhaps to depict insanity? Story would've been better if it was linear.