Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

MP Ultra Magnus is my vote---not quite to scale with MP Prime (he'd cost like 3 or 4 hundred bucks otherwise)---just, bigger than Prime and all-new molding.

Or Trypticon. If we don't get Encore Trypti, then I want MP. (and hey, there's at least 1 remold/repaint for him)

Well, technically, if they are going to keep doing "icons" of the Transformers, then they've still got to do Soundwave and his cassettes.

Granted, I just want Encore cassettes - like they had minibots, but they could do a set of six cassettes - Ratbat, Rumble, Frenzy, and those two dinosaurs...

I dunno. It's hard to fathom where MP will go next.

I'm curious whether they will venture into the realm of the "cars" - Ironhide, Sideswipe, Jazz ... In the beginning, people said "no - because there is Binaltech" - but Binaltech has a) died, b) didn't actually turn out that great except for a couple of moulds; and in general ultimately was NOT G1, but only G1 inspired... so MP COULD give us perfect G1 Autobot cars...

Personally, if I had a choice, I would want a Masterpiece Ratchet. Ratceht was always my favorite of the season 1 Autobots, particularly for his portrayal in the first 8 issues of the Marvel comics.

Pete

Pete

Well - yeah. Obviously Masterpiece Devastator would be the greatest thing on Earth.

But how on earth would they package something like that? Each Constructicon would have to be huge. You just can't have, say - Longhaul, in truck mode, looking small and dinky next to the Peterbilt Optimus Prime cab....

A Masterpiece Gestalt would rock; but I just can't fathom how they'd pull it off. Then again, I told myself the same thing about Grimlock too...

Pete

Well - yeah. Obviously Masterpiece Devastator would be the greatest thing on Earth.

But how on earth would they package something like that? Each Constructicon would have to be huge. You just can't have, say - Longhaul, in truck mode, looking small and dinky next to the Peterbilt Optimus Prime cab....

A Masterpiece Gestalt would rock; but I just can't fathom how they'd pull it off. Then again, I told myself the same thing about Grimlock too...

Pete

Since there's not a consistent scale among the Masterpieces...

Sure, Longhaul's truck can look dinky next to Prime's. It's not like Starscream's jet dwarfs Prime, or Prime's cab dwarfs Megatron's gun.

And we've already got two sizes of robot out(leaders and seekers). What's one more? Certianly Devastator should tower above Prime and Megatron, but... that doesn't mean the individual 'bots have to.

Of course, the problem is... at what point does it cease being worth the price and effort?

Of course, the problem is... at what point does it cease being worth the price and effort?

Well - this is the key question. I mean - to create a Masterpiece Devastator... you would need ENORMOUS engineering skills.

Putting aside the tremendous difficulties of getting the vehicle to transform in such a way as to make it look like the cartoon robot, now imagine that you ALSO have to get the vehicle to transform in such a way that it looks like the cartoon gestalt component :o

That would be mind bogglingly hard to do. Particularly with Devastator... where are his upper legs going to come from? I can imagine that Mixmaster would have the upper leg for Devastator in hsi "back" - just flip open the "cement mixer" and flip out the leg. But what abour Scrapper? Where would his leg extension go?

The only place it could go would be somewhere out of Longhaul...?

Same problem for the lower arms, not to mention the head - where would all this stuff fit? Because I'm presuming that if it's Masterpiece, then it can't be "gestalt parts as add ons."

Just to think about it boggles the mind. If they do it, I would put down 1000 USD for it. no questions asked.

IF they manage to do it :)

Pete

Honestly, Devastator could be the hardest to do, since half his parts "come out of thin air". Menasor may work well, as you can have a lot of stuff inside Motormaster's trailer. (all depends on if they go for "cars ARE limbs" or "cars ON limbs" style for him)

Well - the problem with putting stuff in Menasor's trailer would be that it would make the trailer non-operational, and I'm guessing fans would rather put some Stunticon cars in his trailer :)

Eventually, at some point, I am sure that Takara will produce a Masterpiece Gestalt; and I guess it would have to be Devastator; since he's just so obviously iconic as the first Gestalt TF... Maybe in ten years, they'll have the tech :) Maybe...maybe they're working on him ...now.... :)

Pete

Honestly, Devastator could be the hardest to do, since half his parts "come out of thin air". Menasor may work well, as you can have a lot of stuff inside Motormaster's trailer. (all depends on if they go for "cars ARE limbs" or "cars ON limbs" style for him)

I don't need a Masterpiece Gestalt. At this point, I'd be happy with a Classics/Universe Motormaster.

Personally, I think Computron would be easiest, as it's fictional vehicles, it would allow a little more license to the engineers. However, I also think (and wish) if they were to make an MP Gesalt, Predaking would be the best candidate. I mean, he is CLEARLY the best gesalt, wouldn't be that hard to make, and Predaking towers over other gesalts. I'd be happy with a 100 dollar each price point, and the 5 released over the course of a year.

Edited by Excillon

At this rate, we might as well start imagining all the G1 guys as MP.

Here's a thought: If Prime, Megatron, Starscream and Grimlock are the icons of G1, and Soundwave isn't in the running, then...

The only other truly iconic figures would be from... Transformers the Movie.

So I say we should expect an MP Hotrod/Rodimus Prime. Then Cyclonus or Scourge. Then Kup.

It makes sense when you think about it. I'm not choosing these particular characters for reason of personal preference, but rather trying to guess what the basis for selecting characters to undergo the MP process is... seems to me, that they won't touch the G1 cars... although I guess technically if they did, it would be neat - but they would ultimately have to do almost ALL of them...

Whereas the next in line in the 'iconic status' are the Movie characters...

Galvatron would finally be the space cannon he is :)

Pete

Went to Frank and Sons today and surprisingly Yoshi had Masterpiece Thundercracker already :ph34r:

I hadn't read anything on any of the TF sites about it being released yet.

He had 3 and two of my buddies each bought one for 120 a piece.

I would have bought one if I didn't have him on pre order with LOS already.

Edited by chowyunskinny

Have been on a wee Transformers kick lately. Got Grimlock and Ultra Magnus in the animated line (Grimlock wa sa bit of a let down, but Magnus is awesome) and Sideswipe, Ironhide and Silverbolt in Universe (Sideswipe is great, Silverbolt is ok and Ironhide....well, Im not a fan).

had a freind ask me the name of an old transformer he had as a kid that doesnt ring any bells: a largish green Decepticon plane (But not a fighter) that could drop lots of bombs when u rotated something, and transformed with the cockpit becoming the feet.

Ring any bells to anyone?

Have been on a wee Transformers kick lately. Got Grimlock and Ultra Magnus in the animated line (Grimlock wa sa bit of a let down, but Magnus is awesome) and Sideswipe, Ironhide and Silverbolt in Universe (Sideswipe is great, Silverbolt is ok and Ironhide....well, Im not a fan).

had a freind ask me the name of an old transformer he had as a kid that doesnt ring any bells: a largish green Decepticon plane (But not a fighter) that could drop lots of bombs when u rotated something, and transformed with the cockpit becoming the feet.

The bomb dropping with turning thing sounds like G2 Dreadwing, could help to know from what year it was.

Skyquake

Since my Ironhide will never look quite like a G1 Ironhide with his orange and black color scheme (didn't want to spend so much on a Henkei version), as well as having the screws exposed on the front arms, I thought might as well emphasize on the orange/silver/black combo and gave him some accent to that color scheme. Quite like it now, and look less plain when standing along side with my other Classic & Henkei guys.

IMG_4722.jpg

Sweeeeeeeeee333333333ET.

http://www.toy-world.com.hk/maga/fk/03_2008/090.html

Dunno guys, he looks big an bad-ass enough for me. :D

hey! Does that look like a trigger ability for Grim's mouth to open up???

Although, i know you guys have a heap of MP's where as this would be my first. In scale issues with the MP Prime? Which one is the one pictured?

Gotta get Screamer next year.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Judging by the hand holding Grim's tail i'm more than happy enough of his size, glad he wasn't smaller. He'll look good in my display. :D

From the pics almost looks like when you swish the tail the head moves but i seriously doubt it, as the left arm is in a different position.

but love the mouth trigger tho! When he's in bot form he's got some great leg poseability. Can't wait to see him coloured in!

Once i get him i'll probably download some Grimlock heavy episodes perish the thought of me being a tranny hater. :lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

That's Henkei Prime. He's a voyager class figure. Pretty small.

Pete

Yeah, but MP Grimlock is in perfect scale with Voyager Henkei Prime.

Well, if Hasbro brings Grimmy Stateside for the same price as Starscream, I'll definitely buy him. But as it stands, I'd pay more than that, so I'm not importing the Takara one.

:lol: Grimlock looks more like a mechanical gator than a t-rex in that pic. Cartoony dino mode, narrow bot mode with oversized arms, (relatively) small size and huge price tag, MP-8 isn't doing much for me so its a pass.

Alternity Convoy and Megatron, now there's two TF figs I'm eagerly awaiting. I really like that Megs gets his fusion cannon.

alternitypv2.jpg

Edited by IXTL

from the looks of the pics, one of Grimlocks legs/arms in bot mode is about the same length as primes legs. And on average his robot legs seem about the same length as well. So I'm guessing this Grimlock will be about the same size as the MP starscream mold give or take. Or around the size of an ultra class. I don't mind the smaller size as long as I get a solid toy. I don't really mind this down sizing from huge to medium sized toys. As long as the quality remains the same or gets better. (fingers crossed for getting better though I know I shouldn't hold my breath.)

Considering the deluxe sized nature of Alternity I think this line has a much better opportunity of channeling a G1 feel compared to BT. I also hope we might finally be able to get some real non-car alt modes, like semi's, tanks and planes that are sort of in scale. The only thing that peeves me is of course prime being a car. I'm not that G1 obsessive, but c'mon. They started off BT with smokescreen, a fairly obscure character. I know he was based off a famous race car and stuff, but then they could have found another stock race car to use and saved prime and megs for a truck and tank, two alt modes worthy of those two characters.

*sigh* Takatomy, I demand you listen to my fanboy forum requests or else I'll write you very nasty letters you won't be able to read even if you can read English or get get a translator because my handwriting is so bad it borders on looking like an alien language.

Edited by GobotFool