Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

They're sold separately for about $50 each from various exporters like Overdrive and FantoFan.jp.

Each one is a different Japanese store exclusive.

$50 isn't too bad, but it's still double the price of a normal one and I bet those are coming stateside in a future wave. They are now made (and are different than the Botcon ones), so how can we even begin to imagine that Hasbro will pass that up? I thinks it's only a matter of time...

Though $50 is still a $12-$15 per figure mark-up and that's before shipping charges. Think about the people getting $150 for the set, that's some serious cash for doing almost nothing. Too bad I don't like in Japan or I'd sell these things for some extra cash.

Edited by protostar8

$50 isn't too bad, but it's still double the price of a normal one and I bet those are coming stateside in a future wave. They are now made (and are different than the Botcon ones), so how can we even begin to imagine that Hasbro will pass that up? I thinks it's only a matter of time...

Though $50 is still a $12-$15 per figure mark-up and that's before shipping charges. Think about the people getting $150 for the set, that's some serious cash for doing almost nothing. Too bad I don't like in Japan or I'd sell these things for some extra cash.

Where in the world are you at? $50 each is $39 vs the MSRP. At retail, it's more like $35-$42.

I want Dirge ... Thrust looks meh ...

Thrust looks cool, but why did they have to remold the wings? Now it looks nothing like the original thrust. The Botcon exclusive thrust is more accurate. It's reversed for dirge though. The botcon dirge was just ramjet repaint, and now the new one is actually more accurate to G1, but the blue and white stripes? That's more like what hasbro would do. WTF? They get it right with the others but these jets they don't? weird.... :rolleyes::huh:

Henkei Thrust's VTOLs will be removable and can be mounted on the main wings, apparently. The VTOL rotors can be rotated as well, not sure if the Botcon version could do that.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers...hable-fans.html

kinda official update at Ganbo-Store Blog:

http://ameblo.jp/ganbo-store/entry-10164701777.html

says that VTOL engine is surely removable, and attachable to main wing. plus, rotor of the engine is articulated and can rotate by finger.

Edited by IXTL

I'm going to hold off on importing anything. The coneheads were never as prominent in the cartoon as the other Seekers, so I can live after custom-painting an Acid Storm as Thundercracker. I'll wait and see if Hasbro will use the Henkei molds, maybe as a store exclusive, and buy them at a more palatable price then. If not, like I said, I can live.

I said it was a $12-ish dollar mark-up b/c the figure is going to be about $38 at the store. Don't know what your problem with that was...

Okay, I understand you now. I thought you were talking about the markup versus a standard Deluxe-class figure. I didn't realize you were talking about a markup on a markup.

Picked up a Silverstreak yesterday and decided to put him under the knife.

I give you: Silverstreak with no ugly spoiler! I touched up the spots where I cut the spoiler, and also painted his headlights blue to match his waist, and painted the taillights solid red.

3044409688_2e72e81928.jpg

3043573749_3eecea92b3.jpg

Edited by Grand Admiral

Hmmn. I've been wondering what could be done about his headlights, never considered blue, but it works well. Did you repaint his waist to match, or is it just the lighting? (because that looks much darker than the blue on mine).

Now if someone can just find a good alternate paint for the face...

Awesome Silverstreak!

i was thinking about getting one, this mod is giving me ideas B))

Now if someone can just find a good alternate paint for the face...

how about painting the head silver instead of the plain metalli-gray plastic?

with some black trim and panel lines. that could really bring out the facial details.

while we're talking mods, may i present...

BFG of Prime! :ph34r:

post-2535-1227156414_thumb.jpgpost-2535-1227156596_thumb.jpg

post-2535-1227156703_thumb.jpgpost-2535-1227156795_thumb.jpg

it replaces the rocket-powered ax & allows the addition of extra options, like... a trailer?

i suppose it'll look less conspicuous than the ax when it's painted.

i'm still deciding if i want it black or gray. any suggestions? :)

Really? One wave of release and that's it? Were the other MPs so limited run? Or was there fear that a fourth incarnation of the mold was too much?

We'll see. I am basing the statement off of HLJ's website. In my mind, there are three possible explanations:

a) Sales are way down. Recession/global crisis has caused HLJ to lower their orders from their own suppliers. Therefore, they sold out all of their Thundercrackers immediately, and it automatically went to "discontinued" but within a week, as more supplies become available, it will go back to in stock or something.

b) Sales are way down. Recession/global crisis has caused retailers to order less from suppliers/manufacturers. Takara-Tomy has decided to cut down on the quantity of high-end stuff that they produce; hence new Masterpiece releases will not be out there in the same quantity as before

c) I'm talking out of my butt; there was a minor error and it's fixed now but here I am still wondering about it...

I duno. Skywarp is in stock. Thundercracker is gone. Could be that everyone had already bought Skywarp a year ago; so less Skywarps are selling on pre-order, whereas everybody and their grandmother wanted Thundercracker.

Dunno.

We'll see :)

Pete

'Discontinued' is what HLJ's system defaults to if they don't have any stock (instead of 'sold out' or something more useful).

HLJ likes using "Discontinued" as a way of saying "No ETA from supplier" and "Cannot accept orders because we don't know how many we are going to get". I would check back next week on the Thundercracker. They may update it later.

HLJ likes using "Discontinued" as a way of saying "No ETA from supplier" and "Cannot accept orders because we don't know how many we are going to get". I would check back next week on the Thundercracker. They may update it later.

Actually, HLJ usually uses "Backordered" for stuff like that. From my experience, "discontinued" means "discontinued" pending the production of more waves; which might never happen. The vast majority of items which are "discontinued" over there are in fact - well - discontinued.

Of course, it's possible to suddenly move from discontinued to in stock - it's happened before with other items; even items that were "discontinued" for some time...

But, I guess I'm just enjoying the chance to speculate :)

Pete

Grimlock is the first new mold MP series figure I'm completely blasé about. Pics of it haven't piqued my interest the same way as when I first saw MP Convoy, Megs or Starscream. The cartoony T-rex mode and higher price tag make it a figure I'll be skipping easily.

Alternity Megatron on the other hand is a figure I'm really psyched for.

ap20081121090314473jpgzq7.jpg

I gotta admit - they have MP Grimlock dont solid - he is soooo cartoony :) I think this is the first time in history that something so utterly cartoonish has been replicated with such fine detail :)

I mean - all I can think of is those statements by Michael Bay and other TF LA movie people who kept saying "can you imagine the cartoon Transformers from the 80s actually walking around? People would not be scared, they would laugh, it would be silly. We have to make them look more [robotic/alien/scary/modern] etc etc"

Now I look at that Grimlock and think to myself - heh - imagine if people indeed saw THAT walking around...

Well - I wonder who will be the NEXT MP?

I doubt they'll give us all of the Dinobots; cool as that would be... My guess is we're up for another Autobot though; but then again, mould wise we're two for two now... hmm... wonder who...wonder who...

Clearly, with this MP, Takara is showing us that possibilities are limitless. They are not sticking to "real life representation" like guns, trucks and planes. Silly monsters are ok too....

Pete

I doubt they'll give us all of the Dinobots; cool as that would be... My guess is we're up for another Autobot though; but then again, mould wise we're two for two now... hmm... wonder who...wonder who...

Clearly, with this MP, Takara is showing us that possibilities are limitless. They are not sticking to "real life representation" like guns, trucks and planes. Silly monsters are ok too....

Pete

Prime, Starscream (the other seekers), Megatron and now Grimlock.

I think they've covered the first tier 1st and 2nd season G1 icons. Maybe it's time for some movie characters to get the MP treatment. Hot Rod (I'd really rather have a Hot Rod over a Rodimus), Kup, Springer, A real Ultra Magnus figure, Arcee (just to make the fanboys happy).

Prime, Starscream (the other seekers), Megatron and now Grimlock.

I think they've covered the first tier 1st and 2nd season G1 icons. Maybe it's time for some movie characters to get the MP treatment. Hot Rod (I'd really rather have a Hot Rod over a Rodimus), Kup, Springer, A real Ultra Magnus figure, Arcee (just to make the fanboys happy).

This idea of Hotrod would be...interesting... although they could go "all out" and give us a Rodimus trailer for him...

Initially, I was skeptical that they would ever move away from "real" alternate modes; but then agan, look at all the other high end SOC/Macross stuff out there that has little to do with "real" alternate modes, and I guess they figured "what the hey"

I would love to have Springer - he is one of my all time favorites and very neglected.

But I would also love it if they went a bit crazy and did something exotic - but I guess once you've covered the bases - everything is exotic...Grimlock certainly is..

Pete