Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

HOLD UP!!! WTF?!?!?! The entire 1st season is available on DVD now for only $19.99??? I will stop by Best Buy on my lunch break tomorrow to cop a copy! Do you know if the other seasons will be released? I've been checking online for the box set but keep coming up with the Japanese version and it is outrageously price. Got to start checking my Sunday ads! Thanks for sharing the info!

Whoa, hold on there. You need to get it at Target since it's only $16.99 this week. I'm having to go back to Best Buy with the Target ad to get the price match. And, yes I am a cheap bastard! :p

If I had any real confidence in that July 1st ship date I'd probably order the Leader Jetfire.

Anyways---saw Voyager "The Fallen" for the first time today. Also found Dlx Barricade and Mudflap---just 1 of each---what else comes in that case/wave? Surely they don't just pack those two with Chromia and Smokescreen as a case revision?

If I had any real confidence in that July 1st ship date I'd probably order the Leader Jetfire.

Anyways---saw Voyager "The Fallen" for the first time today. Also found Dlx Barricade and Mudflap---just 1 of each---what else comes in that case/wave? Surely they don't just pack those two with Chromia and Smokescreen as a case revision?

They should be joined up on the shelves with Ravage and Cannon-chestie-bumblebee.

Shin--can the seats be removed from BB's arms? I keep asking, everyone keeps saying "maybe".
You should be able to if you take apart the forearm by removing 2 screws. The seats are able to swivel, so I'm thinking they are on rotating hexagonal joints that Hasbro uses every now and then, to have things be able to rotate but stay into place. The seats were designed to resemble Bumblebee's forearm armor from the movie, so I don't mind as much as I did when I saw the first images of it.

Also found Dlx Barricade and Mudflap
Ravage and Canon Bumblebee. I've heard Canon Bumblebee turned out to be bad, but I have Ravage and Ravage is worth picking up. As with Soundwave, he suffers from minimal transformation(more like a cat stretching out it's frontlegs and covering it's eyes while trying to touch it's toes). Articulation in panther mode is good, much better than galleries online lead me to believe.

Am I right in remembering that MP starscream was in the 1/70-ish scale range? If so, could someone who has both SS and the RotF Ransack post a few pictures of them side by side? I like stuff to be in scale, and this might be an excuse to pick up a cheap MP seeker to go with the badass little Albatros.

Edited by Phyrox

Am I right in remembering that MP starscream was in the 1/70-ish scale range? If so, could someone who has both SS and the RotF Ransack post a few pictures of them side by side? I like stuff to be in scale, and this might be an excuse to pick up a cheap MP seeker to go with the badass little Albatros.

MP Starscream looks 1/60 to me. I don't have Ransack.

MP SS is 1/60. I'd take a Ransack comparison pic, but my TC is in pieces. (if the humidity was ever below 90% I could actually paint it and put it back together)

A quick Wiki-check and measurement gives me 1/69 for Ransack based on wingspan.

Ok, got HA Bumblebee yesterday. Fantastic looking toy with a fun transformation.

Only problems I have are the seats (wished they could at leas fold) and the frontal chest parts. The latter tend to get back to “car form” if you look at them wrong. Don't know if there is a way to secure them in robot chest mode (if I twist to much it feels like it’s going to break). It seems that just cutting a bit of the dark grey plastic next to the spring would make it possible to secure the mechanism in place.

Also got voyager SS out on a whim. Don’t know if I should return it. I like how it looks but since there is a Leader SS in the works… Anybody care to share their experience with the mold? Is it fun?

Ok, got HA Bumblebee yesterday. Fantastic looking toy with a fun transformation.

Only problems I have are the seats (wished they could at leas fold) and the frontal chest parts. The latter tend to get back to “car form” if you look at them wrong. Don't know if there is a way to secure them in robot chest mode (if I twist to much it feels like it’s going to break). It seems that just cutting a bit of the dark grey plastic next to the spring would make it possible to secure the mechanism in place.

Also got voyager SS out on a whim. Don’t know if I should return it. I like how it looks but since there is a Leader SS in the works… Anybody care to share their experience with the mold? Is it fun?

I have grown accustomed to the seats on the arms now. There is no way to lock the chest, really all you can do it be careful with it. It is annoying at times but I do like that they are spring loaded so they should get messed up over time. What would you rather have? A messed up looking car because the chest got loose over time or a robot that every now and then you have to retransform his chest, which is nothing more than pulling it out and turning it?

Sorry, Rei. You aren't enough of a booth babe to sell me on the Constructicons.

I'm sure she was drugged and forced to do the photo shoot against her will. That or some one took pity on Demolisher and tried to find some function in life for him that WOULDN'T make him immediately noticable as a POS :)

Pete

I'm sure she was drugged and forced to do the photo shoot against her will.

She's probably just resigned to her fate after all the merchandise whoring she's been through.

You can see it on her face.

What I really want is for Prometheus to show us more of his Zone collection :)

Anybody else got Victory, Zone and Masterforce toys? I only have the reissue God Ginrai, but generally am becoming more and more fond of everything G1.

It's interesting how things come around... I was never a G1 purist; I'm still not since I love Beast Wars - but it's wierd...I hit 30 in feburary and suddenly it's like - only G1 Transformers interest me... Mildly interested in Henkei... but mainly it's G1 ... how...wierd...

Well - G1 and BW Neo/II...

But I never had any of the Zone, Masterforce or Victory figures. Not the Japanese originals at least - and I'm actually thinking about starting to collect them :)

Pete

Haha, I wish I HAD a Zone collection... I've got the three Powered Masters, and then just a handful of US release Micromasters... someday I'll get around to collecting Countdown and the other MM bases so I can make the REAL Zone! I'd also love to get Rabbicrater, the blue MM who came with the original VHS of the Zone OVA.

Dude - you're being modest. Roadfire was probably the last Transformer G1 toy ever produced - and in laughably dwindled numbers. The fact that you have him is mind blowing :)

I am always a tad dissapointed that they never made a toy for Violinist Jerry though; those insect modes were pretty cool as was the complete form :) In any event...

Where do you suggest looking for Masterforce/Headmaster etc? BBTS's vintage department is pretty dried out. Is Ebay the last hope? Transformerland? I guess I could check there...

Pete

I'm actually a little confused about the release order of things at the end of JP G1... I don't understand how the return of Convoy/Battlestars stuff or Operation Combination stuff fits in it Roadfire is indeed the last G1 transformer produced. The TF Wiki says Roadfire is the last Zone toy released, but that must mean stuff like Sky Garry came out afterwards. Sky Garry's actually pretty easy to find now thanks to a large warehouse find a couple years ago, and shouldn't run you more than a little over $200 with shipping give or take, if you're willing to deal with a Chinese seller. I'd love to get the Return of Convoy Power Master Trio (reissue Star Convoy, Sky Garry, and Grandus), but Star Convoy is so bland, and Grandus is another grail Tf to hunt for.

Getting JP G1 TFs is not too terribly hard if you're willing to make connections, throw around the cash, and be patient. I had a friend who had some friends in Japan and could have them look in local shops for things, which is how I got my Vic Leo loose complete (minus missiles) in phenomenal condition for a great price, along with the one JP exclusive godmaster repaint I have (out of three), and otherwise I did alot of prowling ebay and just was patient and looked for deals. Stuff like Star Saber and Overlord are not THAT rare in the scheme of things, but will cost a decent amount whenever they come up due to the demand. I bought both Roadfire and Sonic Bomber from ebay sellers... I got antsy and did BIN on Sonic Bomber and paid too much in reality for one in his condition missing the MM partner, and then another one went up like a week later and ended at auction for less, but I still love that figure. Dai Atlas I got from a board member on TFW2005, original working figure with KO release parts, for a steal of a price.

If you want to get stuff like the JP Headmaster heads, good luck... that's a whole different ballgame and price range. The three repainted godmasters are typically pretty cheap, as they are much less prolific than the heads or the Dino-cassettes, but still neat little rare figures. There's tons of stuff out there I don't have, like Minerva or Metalhawk, or Liokaiser, which are all cool, and I'd love to get, but I'm not actively looking for right now. There's also stuff like Black Zarak or Dinoking that I'll never buy or would necessarily want compared to their US counterparts.

EDIT: I DID add Reprolabels to my Roadfire. so I'll have to throw up some pics of that...

Edited by promethuem5

I'm itching to see a Classics God Ginrai, and am actually surprised that TakaraTomy hasn't made a Henkei Star Saber yet...

I would prefer an Encore Victory Saber.

Although I am happy with Bruticus, the cassettes - Omega Supreme, Metroplex, Sky Linx --- they've really done a great job so far...

But it would be nice to throw some of the later guys into the mix.

Star Convoy was a bit of a flop...

Pete

Encore Star Saber and Vic Leo would be AWESOME, but would cost a ton at retail... most people don't realize until they get the toys just how HUGE those two figures are.

I really need to get the Encore Bruticus... that's a good looking set.

EDIT 2: I also just realized that I have a complete set of limb bots for Computron in my stash... I really oughta get a Scattershot! :lol:

Edited by promethuem5

a) Demolisher in that first picture looks like he enjoys the missionary position.

b) These pictures demonstrate the problem with the Movie line - other than the fact that the toys look very little like what we see on screen.. namely....

No discernable robot mode.

It's like - If I took my laptop- opened it and then turned it upside down and stood it on its' two halves and then tied the cabled that connects to the battery box around it, and balanced the battery box on top, with the little light flashing and said "robot mode"... is that what makes a Transformer?

I have been thinking a lot recently about this notion of "they're aliens - so they should look alien."

This is bullocks I have concluded.

First - what does "look alien" mean even? Do you know what aliens look like? Have you seen them? Is there some scientific or logical reason why aliens happen to look like a turkey crossed with a gorilla or like rejects from Short Circuit?

Second - well why do humans look the way they do? Why do beagles and small kittens look cute? Why do bunnies look like they do? Why do so many animals in nature look amazing for various reasons?

Could it possibly have something to do with the fact that aesthetics, while naturally not something we can specificy in a scientific way, IS important to life forms nonetheless. Life forms LIKE being able to look at other pretty life forms and to feel appreciated for their physical features.

Wouldn't robots from another world - presuming that they are sentient - also prefer to look pretty rather than to look like random twigs stuck together by cat poop?

Wouldn't a race of sentient super robots develop - amongst other things - aesthetic values, art and fashion?

I would be a bit more tolerant if the aesthetic from ROTF and the movie universe were a matter of being part of a sub-group - since there really have been a variety of different TFs - but to suggest that the whole population looks like that...me no like.

Pete

It fiction after all, why limit yourself to how things are suppose to be from human perspective? Last time I recalled there is abstract and expression art which is part of the art school.

The ROTF toys look pretty much like their movie screen compare to the first one, OP is the obvious example.

Edited by ntsan

Damn, those constructicons look like fun! :lol:

Feeling itchy on the wallet each time I these two. In person the vehicle modes look so good that they kinda make up for the robot modes.

The TRU near my place has slashed the prices of all TF toys (except the ROTF line) to 1/2 off. Some of the lesser known figures are even at 70% off. On Saturday, I picked up The Legacy of Bumblebee gift pack and Animated Starscream.

Starscream is undoubtedly one of the best figures in the Animated line. Unfortunately, I may have inadvertently broken the Automorph feature when I attempted to transform him into Gerwalk mode. No big deal, as that gimmick doesn't do much on this figure.

Picked up the Target exclusive Superion Aerialbots set today for $29.99 - not a bad price for 5 figures IMO.

:)

No sign of the Bruticus Combaticons set. Nor did I see the TF Titanium exclusives. I want Hot Spot and Thrust, anyone see them in SoCal yet?

I have been thinking a lot recently about this notion of "they're aliens - so they should look alien."

This is bullocks I have concluded.

First - what does "look alien" mean even? Do you know what aliens look like? Have you seen them? Is there some scientific or logical reason why aliens happen to look like a turkey crossed with a gorilla or like rejects from Short Circuit?

Interesting you mention Short Circuit, since Number 5 was designed to look "human"

Hell, he has EYEBROWS.

Second - well why do humans look the way they do? Why do beagles and small kittens look cute? Why do bunnies look like they do? Why do so many animals in nature look amazing for various reasons?

Could it possibly have something to do with the fact that aesthetics, while naturally not something we can specificy in a scientific way, IS important to life forms nonetheless. Life forms LIKE being able to look at other pretty life forms and to feel appreciated for their physical features.

And each species has it's own different aesthetic sense.

Look at birds. The "pretty" birds are all male. But the male birds are looking at the ugly plain-looking female birds. And apparently they like what they're seeing.

And of course, there's insects and arachnids and shellfish and all sorts of other "ugly" stuff.

That which we like looking at is, generally, mammalian. Avians are a runner-up, and things plummet after that.

Wouldn't robots from another world - presuming that they are sentient - also prefer to look pretty rather than to look like random twigs stuck together by cat poop?

Wouldn't a race of sentient super robots develop - amongst other things - aesthetic values, art and fashion?

They quite likely did... and their sense of aesthetics is completely different than ours.

Heck, even different segments of humanity have different aesthetic values.

Now, the PROBLEM isn't an in-universe one. It's an IRL one. They AREN'T appealing from our perspective(though apparently mainstream America is quite happy with them. Not the first time I've considered mainstream America a bunch of morons.).

I would be a bit more tolerant if the aesthetic from ROTF and the movie universe were a matter of being part of a sub-group - since there really have been a variety of different TFs - but to suggest that the whole population looks like that...me no like.

Personally, I don't care for the movie aesthetic in general. Most of the (handful of) toys I bought from the first movie toyline weren't movie characters.

My favorite from that line was Wreckage, actually.

Especially once I realized you can make him look down into his chest cavity while still being in robot mode. In a stupid bit of anthropomorphization, I decided it looked like he was aiming his gut cannon, and I suddenly started liking the gut cannon.

And personally, I think they bungled the Autobot designs horribly. The Decepticon heads fit the "alien robot" aesthetic(and are ugly as a really ugly thing that isn't pretty at all, just like the rest of their bodies). But the Autobot heads fly in the face of the general design aesthetic.

"They are alien robots. They do not look like us. Well, except their faces. THOSE are total mecha-human. Heck, they even have noses. WORKING noses! Why a space robot needs a sense of smell we don't know, but... *sniffsniff* Ratchet says you stink."

In person the vehicle modes look so good that they kinda make up for the robot modes.

Yeah; well - it's nice that you can fiddle with them to make them look like something out of Robotix, but it would have been nicer if you could also - you know - combine them to form...you know...Devastator.

Pete