Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

I dunno. I just expected like...the greatest Transformers toys in history for the Movie line - but it continues to dissapoint.

Like I said, the Bayformer designs work okay on the big screen, but they don't translate well to toys. Expecting RotF toys to be the greatest Transformers toys in history is like expecting that the next time you stab yourself in the leg with a fork it won't hurt, ignoring the evidence and experience that tells you otherwise.

Besides, we already have Universe. Or at least, had.

it's better than the 2007 movie line.

Polishing turds...

Expecting RotF toys to be the greatest Transformers toys in history is like expecting that the next time you stab yourself in the leg with a fork it won't hurt,

If only you'd be around to post this yesterday, I wouldn't have eight little holes in my left leg. I thought maybe the second time around it wouldn't puncture the skin - but sure enough! Dag. Who would have thought... :)

Now you're being silly.

A litt, yes :)

But - I will repeat what I wrote somewhere earlier: it is ironic that I - an adult collector - find myself loving the Animated line aimed at itsy-bitsy little kids, while the "realistic" movie line is something I'd like to run away from...fast :)

I dunno - I'll admit they seem to have done a decent job on the Leader Prime - particularly when you consider that he (hopefully) does combine with Jetfire....

Or...

maybe they'll sell a stand alone Robot Prime and Robot Jetfire that combine but don't turn into a truck and a plane individually?

Pete

can you imagine if the transformers movie designs has an influence on the robot designs for the robotech movie if it ever comes out? oh the horror.

haven't watched the whole dvd but where is the part in the dvd when a japanese screams out to michael bay about the designs?

haven't watched the whole dvd but where is the part in the dvd when a japanese screams out to michael bay about the designs?

At the very beginning - if you turn on Director's commentary, Bay talks about it towards the beginning, when they're in Ospray if I recall correctly.

If I'm wrong - just put it down to too many mind altering drugs but I could have sworn I heard him say it.

Pete

To be honest, I don't know why movie Devestator looking like a Troll is a bad thing.

The trolls in LotR were complete and utter ba$%#(ds. Giant destructive gits. And now we get a 120ft robotic version?! Why, yes. I believe i'll take a dozen, sir.

The CGI version will look far better than the toy anyway (what movie toy has ever looked that good anyway?)

Edited by Alex

This was already brought up in a thread at TFW, but the new movie line is really setting a record for "difference between official pics and the real thing". Check out the F-35-ish guy:

http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/transform...breakaway-3489/

From bronze and steel to tan and green.

Come on guys! Get with the program - they're new age Transformers!

This time, rather than transforming from - oh - I dunno - say - Construction vehicles to robots to a gestalt - they now transform from bronze and steel to tan and green!

Now you know why Hasbro had to hike prices....

On a serious note - about that price hike:

You know - I understand price hikes due to what's going on in the economy - but I think Transformers seems to be the only line where we see BOTH price hikes AND lower quality in terms of materials used and the design/engineering angle.

It's like they just don't care anymore.

Either that or their marketing wizards have concluded that a more Bionicle looking line of robots will be the most popular right now. If that's the case then I guess we can't blame them. It's what people in general want...

Pete

You know - I understand price hikes due to what's going on in the economy - but I think Transformers seems to be the only line where we see BOTH price hikes AND lower quality in terms of materials used and the design/engineering angle.

Engineering has advanced at a surprising rate for the mainlines. I collected some of the Armada trilogy toys, went into Classics, Movie, Animated, and now, Universe. The engineering went up steadily from each line. The movie line really set the bar, the Animated line built upon it, and the Universe line utilized it. From what I've seen in the video reviews, the ROTF lines are another step up engineering-wise.

Now as far as the combining Devastator, for $100 we ought to get 6 transforming vehicles that turn into individual robots and combine into a huge, stable, highly articulated gestalt. Unfortunately we are not getting that. If the trade off is a very stable and durable gestalt, good, but it is a disappointment nonetheless that the 6 vehicles cannot turn into their robot modes.

Engineering has advanced at a surprising rate for the mainlines. I collected some of the Armada trilogy toys, went into Classics, Movie, Animated, and now, Universe. The engineering went up steadily from each line. The movie line really set the bar, the Animated line built upon it, and the Universe line utilized it. From what I've seen in the video reviews, the ROTF lines are another step up engineering-wise.

Now as far as the combining Devastator, for $100 we ought to get 6 transforming vehicles that turn into individual robots and combine into a huge, stable, highly articulated gestalt. Unfortunately we are not getting that. If the trade off is a very stable and durable gestalt, good, but it is a disappointment nonetheless that the 6 vehicles cannot turn into their robot modes.

Let's also keep in mind a couple of things:

1) The movie designs are pretty much done by the graphic artists and SFX people of the movie. It is then up to the engineers at Hasbro to try and figure out someway to make it actually do, in real life, what it does with computer graphics magic in the movie.

2) Even with the prices on these new Transformers going up, I get a solid toy where all the pieces go together and snap in nicely, all the pieces are painted correctly, I can drop it and it won't break, and I can let my son play with it and not worry about it getting broken. Now I look at my $80 Robotech Masterpiece Collection Alpha fighter... not even close... my $150 Robotech Masterpiece Collection Beta... closer... My $100 Megazone 23 Garland... eh...

It's funny, I think it's insane to pay $100 for Devastator, knowing full well that it will be a solid, well-designed toy, yet I just paid $200 for a Masterpiece Cyclone that may not even fit together and be too fragile to do anything with other than display.

Engineering has advanced at a surprising rate for the mainlines. I collected some of the Armada trilogy toys, went into Classics, Movie, Animated, and now, Universe. The engineering went up steadily from each line.

I have to disagree with you this time - Armada was a major step DOWN engineering wise when you compare them to Beast Wars and even Beast Machines... heck - EVEN to G2, where you had things like Jolt and Electro with better poseability than the majority of Armada toys. Engineering has really varried from series to series IMO.

Cyclonus looks good... I love Highbrow as a character, but can't really spot him at first glance...and am too lazy to take a second glance :)

Pete

Saw that earlier today. Very nice. Sari matured quite a bit......but my thoughts are since the drawing is linked to no episode, we may be getting a glimpse at a future series, like what they did with the A/E/C storylines. I refuse to believe that even Hasbro, who have made some stupid moves, would make an error this big. "Let's take the show that pretty much the majority of TF fans and little kids like and end it for no reason, that'll be funny!" I just don't see that poo happening. Now "ending" the show to bring on a second show with the characters in the future (like 10 years later), I can totally see. Or even putting it on haitus, but just ending it now with the potential that's left, just don't see it happening.

Saw that earlier today. Very nice. Sari matured quite a bit......but my thoughts are since the drawing is linked to no episode, we may be getting a glimpse at a future series, like what they did with the A/E/C storylines. I refuse to believe that even Hasbro, who have made some stupid moves, would make an error this big. "Let's take the show that pretty much the majority of TF fans and little kids like and end it for no reason, that'll be funny!" I just don't see that poo happening. Now "ending" the show to bring on a second show with the characters in the future (like 10 years later), I can totally see. Or even putting it on haitus, but just ending it now with the potential that's left, just don't see it happening

Yeah, I mean it's not like Hasbro ever did anything like that before. I mean, Beast Wars/Beast Machines and the entire G1-Beast Machines continuity that ran for 15 years weren't chucked out the window for no reason. They were chucked out the window for the super production Transformers: Armada - which, as we all know, made Transformers world famous...

Pete

Those humans look disturbingly like pretender shells for the Autobots. Is that a tiny chunk of Cybertron?

Why do I feel like they're finishing the show up with a TV movie? I have absolutely no bassis for that idea, it's just a feeling I have.

Edited by Greyryder

Sari has boobies :ph34r:

I dig Cyclonus, even tho he's basically just Cyclonus with curvier lines.

His alt mode is so old-school Kilrathil (WC-1 and 2, I mean).. I LOVE it. I could really, really dig an Animated figure of him, especially if he is as tight in jet-mode as Lugnut is.

And I hate how animated series have absurdly short life-spans. It doesn't seem like many, even the spectacular ones, get past three full seasons anymore.

Edited by Letigre

I have to disagree with you this time - Armada was a major step DOWN engineering wise when you compare them to Beast Wars and even Beast Machines... heck - EVEN to G2, where you had things like Jolt and Electro with better poseability than the majority of Armada toys. Engineering has really varried from series to series IMO.

I never said Armada wasn't a step down. I said that from Armada and the lines afterwards, the engineering went up in complexity. Cybertron was most complex out of the trilogy, Classics built on that, the movie went further, Animated utilized it, and we saw it again improvized for Universe.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Since it says

upgrade

on the Sari character sheet, it seems that she is indeed

totally robotic

If that's the case, should be interesting.

Looks like it could be that

The Autobots and Sari ahve to do the old "infiltrating a High-school disguised as regular kids" schtick, and Sari is able to just get that "upgrade" for that one episode, while the Autobots get loaded into cyberbetic bodies. Or sumfing like that,

Seems exactly the kind of thing they'd do in this show.

Edited by Alex

Those humans look disturbingly like pretender shells for the Autobots.

They reminded me of that G1 season 3 episode where Rodimus, Arcee and Magnus have their consciousness transfered to synthoids.

I hope that TFA goes the route of Ben 10, redone and set a few years into the future, hence Sari's older form. The storytelling can take on a little more maturity. Not a bad thing, IMO. I'd be happy for the show to continue a few years into the future. They're just starting to create a new mythology for the franchise, and so far, I like what they've done with the story and characters. It'd be a shame to quit now.