Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

welp!

found Smokescreen today at the local Wally's, and I got sticker-shocked!

$12.88 ???!!!

DAMNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*sigh* oh, well.

smokescreeng1carmodeap2.th.jpg smokescreeng1botmodefq6.th.jpg

However, I haven't found Inferno, yet. Wonder how much I'm gonna get price-jacked when I find it, tho.

Yeah, I don't get what prompted Wal-Mart to go from $7.77 to $12.98. That's almost a 70% increase. Sure, they were drastically undercutting the price before, but still, when I can go to Toys R' Us and get the cheapest price (last time I was there, they were still $10.99), something just isn't right.

Even then, wasn't the dollar increase due to the ridiculous oil prices over the summer? Now that oil's a third of what it was then, can't we go back to $9.99, or is inflation going to be the new excuse?

Cheer up, I've hit Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, and Target all at least once a week, and I haven't seen hide nor hair of Inferno either.

i just got universe Inferno ^_^

awesome figure! this is probably the 1st universe class toy that feels like the galaxy force figures.

solid, hefty, clean paint apps & seemingly nigh-indestructible!

and they used a subtle metallic/pearl/sparkly plastic for the red & brown(gun metal?) parts.

pretty much like the encore Convoy. very nice.

The few Target stores I bother hitting up usually have a paltry selection of Universe stuff most of the time. I haven't been to the nearest Toys R Us lately, not with the liquidation sale at the Circuit City next door being the madhouse it is..

Damn, it looks like the rumors were true, TF: Animated Season 3 will be the end of the series. I was really hoping the show would survive for at least four seasons, there had to be at least 52 episodes worth of material they could wrap a story around. There's a thread up on TFW2005 about the show's end.

A word of warning there's also confirmation as to one of the characters being killed in season 3 and who it is.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/a...nfirmed-166778/

Well what are they going to bring us now?

Are they going to stick with the aesthetic of Animated, give us some more traditionally chunky TFs? What?

What do you guys think?

Pete

Doubt they'll ever do it, but I'd love to see writing of the caliber of Beast Wars and Animated applied to more traditional-looking characters. Like maybe an animated/GGI show with the Classics/Universe characters.

Yeah well - this is the kind of stuff people have been dreaming of every time a new franchise ends...

But seriously- I honestly get the feeling that at some point, rebooting the franchise is going to kill the Transformers off. I mean - how many times can you reboot it?

I think that given the magnitude and scope of the Movie - they'll make an animated Movie cartoon - based off of the two first movies, taking place on Earth and possibly beyond.

The alternative? Beats me... but then again - I guess they'll really do whatever's popular amongst kids these days...

Pete

For no other reason than i'm bored. The transformers......through song

Alpha Trion sings Elton John's Crocodile Rock....HIS way.

"I remember when OP was young/

He and Dion made Energon/

Along with Elita-One/

But misguided OP idolized Megatron/

HEY/

Bots Flyin/

Op was really thrilled/

Although, valiant Autobots were being killed.........

Cyber-DON Maclean's American Pie sung by Kup-

A long, long time ago, I can still remember when, Cybertron was doing fine/

And I knew if I had my chance, I could make those Petro-rabbits dance, and maybe i'd be shooting for a while/

But Unicron he made us shiver/

With every decepticon he'd deliver/

Galvatron on our door step, with all the power he could get/

I can't remember if Daniel cried when he saw that Optimus had died/

And Magnus hid the Matrix deep inside......the day.....Optimus.......Died...../

So, bye bye Dear Optimus Prime. had the Matrix, was elated now a victim of gun-crime/

Amd Wheelie makes us hate him with every single damn line/

Geez, I wish that little guy would just die......Geez I wish that he would just die.........

And the classic Maclean song, "Starry starry night"-

Robot-Robot fight/

Paint Unicron orange and grey/

Listen to what Galvatron says/

If you don't he'll blow you all away/

Robot-robot fight/

Megatron shot Optimus/

Only because Rodim-ASS/

Ruined all of Optimus' plans........................................

Edited by Alex

Re: New Animated Dai Atlas & Alpha Trion

Yes! :)

Transformers: Animated does it again!

It is - I believe - one of the greatest ironies imaginable, that Hasbro's "kiddie" line is the one most appealing to a 30 year old adult collector like myself, while its' "realistic" movie line has absolutely no appeal to me. But, this is not only because of "homages" (had those in Energon/Superlink), or name recognition (had those in just about every line), but because of near PERFECT homages in the sense of DESIGN.

These characters are not even really "upgrades" or "reimaginings" - they ARE the G1 line; albeit given a more "cartoonish" look that makes them a tad more dynamic and playful. But essentially, they are the G1 line.

There are perhaps two or three Animated figures I feel are off the mark (Shockwave, Blurr and Sludge/Snarl) - but just about all the rest of them have been pure win.

And Dai Atlas is no exception. Truly an outstanding piece.

Hopefully he will be a Voyager class.

Oh - and a bit of Gurren Lagann Full Drillizing going on there...? :)

Pete

anyone know when universe ratchet and red alert are supposed to be in stores?

too bad hasbro isn't reissuing anymore g1 figures like takara with encore. i'd love to pick up the cassettes at a toys r us or something.

i think the fansproject classics rodimus upgrade set is going to be cool and expensive.

too bad hasbro isn't reissuing anymore g1 figures like takara with encore

Wacky as this sounds, but I get the feeling that Hasbro has lately become a victim of its' success on this score... that is to say: I think the demand for G1 figures is dead and gone. Even Takara Encores are released basically one a month. Can you imagine any other line of figures being released one a month - sometimes one every three months?

I personally love them. But I'm 30.

There have been now three major generational gaps between G1 and the present - BW, Unicron Trilogy and the Movie. Intersperced with that are things like Car Robots/RID and Animated...

Very very very few people are interested in G1 collectibles IMO. The market demand is just not there to sustain it.

This doesn't mean people don't like G1 - but just that they don't have enough of a sentimental attachment to the actual Diaclone moulds to want the reissues...

Naturally - this is my hunch/unsubstantiated opinion on the subject.

Pete

Wacky as this sounds, but I get the feeling that Hasbro has lately become a victim of its' success on this score... that is to say: I think the demand for G1 figures is dead and gone. Even Takara Encores are released basically one a month. Can you imagine any other line of figures being released one a month - sometimes one every three months?

I personally love them. But I'm 30.

There have been now three major generational gaps between G1 and the present - BW, Unicron Trilogy and the Movie. Intersperced with that are things like Car Robots/RID and Animated...

Very very very few people are interested in G1 collectibles IMO. The market demand is just not there to sustain it.

This doesn't mean people don't like G1 - but just that they don't have enough of a sentimental attachment to the actual Diaclone moulds to want the reissues...

Naturally - this is my hunch/unsubstantiated opinion on the subject.

Pete

While I don't presume to speak for other fans, personally I'll take a modern articulated homage to a G1 toy over an original G1 toy. The only two classic G1 toys I have bought in reissue are Prime and Soundwave. Both of them are still MISB, and i'm one of those guys who's compelled to emancipate his toys from their plastic and cardboard prison and transform them at least once. Fortunately, I own an original soundwave, and I've had plenty of opportunities to transform G1 Prime, so both of these guys are packed up.

That said, I have a majority of the Universe Classics line, and most of the TFA line, and consider these to probably be my favorite lines, followed by Binaltech, and a select few movie toys. Well designed bots that become licensed vehicles are amazing to me..it's what I envisioned as a kid, finally realized 20 years later. I'd love to get a peek at Transformers toys 20 years down the road, given that the franchise is still around.

While I don't presume to speak for other fans, personally I'll take a modern articulated homage to a G1 toy over an original G1 toy. The only two classic G1 toys I have bought in reissue are Prime and Soundwave. Both of them are still MISB, and i'm one of those guys who's compelled to emancipate his toys from their plastic and cardboard prison and transform them at least once. Fortunately, I own an original soundwave, and I've had plenty of opportunities to transform G1 Prime, so both of these guys are packed up.

That said, I have a majority of the Universe Classics line, and most of the TFA line, and consider these to probably be my favorite lines, followed by Binaltech, and a select few movie toys. Well designed bots that become licensed vehicles are amazing to me..it's what I envisioned as a kid, finally realized 20 years later. I'd love to get a peek at Transformers toys 20 years down the road, given that the franchise is still around.

You can speak for me, because that's almost exactly how I feel. I mean, if I see someone selling some G1 Transformer I like a yard sale or something, I might snap it up. But I'm not paying Ultra-class prices or higher for toys that often didn't have any better articulation than a Micromaster/Spychanger/Minicon.

Ditto. I looked at some of the reissues, and went "It's kinda neat, but... I like joints."

I gather that's why Hasbro killed the reissue line. They weren't selling very well at all.

Now.... there's a few reissues I WOULD pick up.

If Sky Lynx was available for a reasonable price...

Or if they reissued the original Shockwave...

If I'd ever SEEN a Soundwave reissue, I'd've grabbed it. I never owned the original(though I DO own a cassette player in the shape of Soundwave's robot mode!).

Well - judging from my own observations - you guys are in the majority.

I as a person am in the minority (again!). I LOVE the G1 reissues - not only for the chance to get the crispy clean mint version of the figure, but for the boxes. Actually, the Hasbro Commemorative boxes are by far the least sturdy in this regard, although they are pleasant in their own right and better than any other box Hasbro has ever made (save the original G1 boxes). But the TFC and Encore boxes are just utterly lovely.

I'm a big big reissue fan and the lack of joints doesn't bother me. I think I wrote somewhere once that it's ironic that I can't stand Macross chunky monkeys from Bandai - but I prefer "chunky" TFs from G1 to the modern "poseable" ones.

This doesn't mean I don't like Henkei - I do. Henkei is great. Beast Wars and Animated too.

It's just that ultimately even Henkei departs fairly often from the G1 aesthetic - and it's the LOOK that interests me most.

Well - that and the feeling that my dreams are being fulfilled. I'm still 5 years old in my mind, and I have these memories of walking into Sears and looking at the toy aisles and seeing aaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllll those beautiful boxes of G1 Transformers and wishing they were mine.

Once in a while, my dear mum would get me one and it was like a dream come true. But my collection never reached any huge level, 'cause my folks didn't have the money. I remember saving up 12 dollars for Devastator gift set over the course of like...8 months :) And I got him! :) That was an amazing day... and I'd take him down to this little pond next to a bigger bond and play with the Constructicons...sniff...

So - I guess I mainly buy them for sentiment. I love teh G1 Marvel comics and the G1 toys and everything about it...

But I guess I'm in the minority.

Pete

i prefer Encore too, for the following reasons:

-durability

-quality of plastic

-rubber tires

-die cast

-big fists that can actually hold accessories

-chrome

-correct length smokestacks

-correct colors

-stickers!

plus it gives me a shot at getting the ones i didn't have,

and i get to have minty new ones for the ones i do have.

:)

i prefer Encore too, for the following reasons:

-durability

-quality of plastic

-rubber tires

-die cast

-big fists that can actually hold accessories

-chrome

-correct length smokestacks

-correct colors

-stickers!

^ Almost everything he said.

I'd also like to add that I love the Classics/Universe/Henkei line as well, for the following reasons:

• durability
  • posability
  • G1 nods (i.e. Rodimus' hand saw)
  • stickers not needed
  • more toon-accurate bot modes
  • complex transformations

If they ever do a perfect blend of these two lists...

Who am I kidding? I buy most of them anyway. :mellow:

I love reissues/encore, I just hate the cost! 3-4x the original price for some, yet Hasbro seems able to reissue Joe and SW figures for only a bit more than the original...

Seriously, there's been times that I could find minty-minty loose G1 originals, for the same price as a TRU re-issue. (never mind the safety-changed parts)

It's sheer gouging---re-issue Hot Rod at TRU was way cheaper than Jazz/Tracks/Bluestreak. I doubt he cost a lot less to make. They just continually raised the prices, until it was cheaper to import them from Japan. Then you know you're being gouged----when you can import Japanese stuff cheaper (including shipping) than buying it locally.

I still want a nice new Sideswipe and Thundercracker, just not at the prices I'd have to pay. (I'm still willing to split a TC/SW 2-pack with someone, though they're not on sale any more)

I love reissues/encore, I just hate the cost! 3-4x the original price for some, yet Hasbro seems able to reissue Joe and SW figures for only a bit more than the original...

Now, now :) Don't bite the goose that lays the golden egg which feeds the horse with the hand of the greeks from who you shouldn't take gifts especially if it's a stranger with candy.

Hasbro wouldn't have reissued them if not for the high prices that G1 was going for prior to TFC and the other reissue lines :)

Pete

just saw a few of the upcoming movie and animated figures from other tf sites. movie devastator toy and movie design looks like crap. so does skids and some of the others.

i hope takara reissues g1 devastator at some point during or after this movie. animated arcee looks kind of cool. wow saving a lot of money by not buying any movie figures.

Edited by sh002

i also love reissues/encore

along with masterpiece, henkei, universe, binaltech/alternators, and stuff made by customizers like classics ultramagnus armor

Edited by sh002

Wow, just wow.....those movie bots look like SH**....AGAIN!!! Devastator is atrocious. He looks like a retarded angry troll.

I want more re-issues from G1 era or especially some more UNIVERSE/CLASSICS. I love the Updated characters. And with the cancellation of Animated after season 3 (which still is a WTF were they thinking question in my mind), I will likely not buy anything Transformers related for a long time after I get all the current classics and a few more animated figs that will come out, like Rodimus and hopefully Omega Supreme.

You've gotta be sh*tting me... I was stupidly actually looking forward to seeing how they treat Devastator, and they still managed to do an evne more atrocious job than I expected. He was the one thing I was kinda looking forward to in the new damn movie, and what the f*ck is that thing supposed to be?

I was kinda hoping Devastator would be at least 1/2 green. If they're only going to make 1 vehicle green---couldn't they have picked NOT THE SMALLEST ONE? Is his torso split left/right or top/bottom? One of those being green would help a lot. As it is, he's mostly orange and yellow.

Ooh, there's hope for a kick-ass new toy:

"DELUXE includes 24 characters, VOYAGER will offer 11 characters, and LEADER will feature three, including OPTIMUS PRIME and JETFIRE."

Leader Jetfire. Problem is--the Blackbird is super-skinny in cross-section. I don't see any way they could do it. A Leader Starscream could be amazing, but to do Jetfire with an accurate jet mode would be nigh-impossible, even for Yamato IMHO. (and I don't even know what Jetfire's robot mode looks like--I'm just assuming based on how thin the plane is)

Dare we hope the 3rd leader is Starscream? (Probably Megs or Galvatron--that's not a spoiler as I do not know if either or both are going to be in the movie at all--I just assume they won't let Starscream be THE head Decepticon, because that'd be too awesome and too much character motivation and development)

(man, we're going to have to re-think and clarify the definition of a spoiler once Toyfair's over---there's no way this thread can remain movie-info-free) I try to avoid as much as possible, but things like Devastator---he's probably going to be on the front page of USA Today come June. Unless we make a third thread: "Movie toy info that only talks about the stuff EVERYONE knows, unlike the super-spoiler-filled main movie thread".