Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

Are thees designs representative of how they will look in the film or did they have to make changes to create the physical toys?

I'm sure that they had to make some changes, but it does look like this time around the toys are a good bit closer to their movie counterparts than they were in the previous movie.

The new characters' toys look very very close to how they look in the prequel comics as well.

As much as I hate the movie designs, I do kind of like that ice cream truck thing...but those crooked and disproportionate faces are a perfect hallmark of what I hate about Bayformers. Some of them have great looking bodies but they're capped with heads that look like retarded insects that got partially smashed.

heads that look like retarded insects that got partially smashed.

I'm having visions of binge drinking ants in a mental ward...

I saw a trailer recently and really liked it. Gotta admit I loved the first movie and will likely love the second. Just wish the damn toys looked better...

Pete

I know a lot of people don't like the bike-bots, so I suppose I'm a minority. I actually like many of these movie designs because they are unconventional. While they may not translate well into toys in many cases, I like that the robot modes aren't limited to bipedal humanoids.

I know a lot of people don't like the bike-bots, so I suppose I'm a minority. I actually like many of these movie designs because they are unconventional. While they may not translate well into toys in many cases, I like that the robot modes aren't limited to bipedal humanoids.

The more I think about it and look at them, the more the wheeled legs are growing on me. Thing is, I especially like it on the silver one (Sideswipe?) with the blades on his arms. Just really accentuates the sleek look.

Somehow, on the bikes, they just kind of look rushes though.

I do appreciate that they look different. The Decepticon bike, Knockout, just looks boring and traditional.

Arcee from the first movie toyline may not have been great, but it mopped the floor with these new female motorcycles.

I actually liked Arcee from the first movie toyline. My second favorite Transformer motorcycle toy, after Animated Prowl.

Edited by RavenHawk

As much as I hate the movie designs, I do kind of like that ice cream truck thing...but those crooked and disproportionate faces are a perfect hallmark of what I hate about Bayformers. Some of them have great looking bodies but they're capped with heads that look like retarded insects that got partially smashed.
Even worse is the fact that those characters are intentionally written to be utterly stupid. Despite both of them being stupid, they are supposed to be heroic too. I have a feeling that one of them will make some sacrifice, and die, while the surviving brother uses the death as inspiration to try to kill Megatron, and get PWND in the process.

I'm sure that they had to make some changes, but it does look like this time around the toys are a good bit closer to their movie counterparts than they were in the previous movie.

The new characters' toys look very very close to how they look in the prequel comics as well.

Hasbro and Takara had more time this time around, primarily because the designs of the returning characters are for the most part, the same as in the last film. The new Leader Prime figure still isn't completely accurate, but it's pretty damn close, and a world of difference from the first Leader Prime figure from TF1(and honestly, I don't mind that figure at all, the Premium version is awesome, dig the head sculpt and blade).

What improved most were the Robot Replicas figures. Some of those look spot-on to their CG models. I doubt I'd buy any, if I did it would probably be for reference. Other than that, they blow the first movie versions out of the water.

Yeah, you just know from the trailers that the first half of the movie is gonna be all about how Sam is fitting into to college and missing Mikhaela, with Bumbleebee occasionally popping by to say how miserable he is.

At least we should have Megan Fox eye candy to tide us by till the 'bots and 'cons start showing up ;)

I actually like the humor. I like Sam's parents. Ronald is just the kind of guy I always wanted to be. He's got a hot wife, a nice car and he obviously eats alot :) The dynamic of the family is all out fun - not just funny but just fun. It's perfect. It's also exactly the way the whole thing was set up in the original comics, where Sparkplug and Buster were just a regular American midwestern family with a completely irregular set of ...first names :) ...

As for girls - I think it would be interested if Sam found a new girl in college - or at least was tempted to - only to realize that his high school sweet heart is the one for him...

Then again - it would be hard to imagine - after going through what they went through together with Mikeala, that Sam would really be very excited by....well...ANY other girl...

As for Bumblebee and antics - why not?

Honestly - I really like the way the movie is structured - the first one. I like EVERYTHING about it. Most of all, as a fan of the comic book, I like just how much the first movie feels like the original Marvel comics. I also think this second movie will rock on that account.

The one thing I hate is Hasbro's piss poor execution of the toys.

Pete

I have no problems with the writing, story, pacing or anything from the first TF movie. It's a dumb-ass action flick and it lives up to that. But I like to actually appreciate what I'm looking at, and the bots just do absolutely nothing for me. They're some of the most un-aesthetically pleasing designs I've ever seen. I'd never argue that they are bad designs, they just don't look good to me. I've been more inspired looking at a drawer full of cutlery.

Edited by eriku

I actually like the humor. I like Sam's parents. Ronald is just the kind of guy I always wanted to be. He's got a hot wife, a nice car and he obviously eats alot :) The dynamic of the family is all out fun - not just funny but just fun. It's perfect. It's also exactly the way the whole thing was set up in the original comics, where Sparkplug and Buster were just a regular American midwestern family with a completely irregular set of ...first names :) ...

As for girls - I think it would be interested if Sam found a new girl in college - or at least was tempted to - only to realize that his high school sweet heart is the one for him...

Then again - it would be hard to imagine - after going through what they went through together with Mikeala, that Sam would really be very excited by....well...ANY other girl...

As for Bumblebee and antics - why not?

Honestly - I really like the way the movie is structured - the first one. I like EVERYTHING about it. Most of all, as a fan of the comic book, I like just how much the first movie feels like the original Marvel comics. I also think this second movie will rock on that account.

The one thing I hate is Hasbro's piss poor execution of the toys.

Pete

Yeah, makes you wonder though about Sam being in a bad mood in the beginning of the trailer, and saying he's going to leave Bumblebee behind... it's time to grow up and move on with life or some such... I mean, if you were eighteen, had an incredibly hot girlfriend and your cool muscle car turned into a giant robot, why would you possibly WANT to move on?

I'm wondering if the "Herp and Derp" twins are all just Michael Bay misinformation. They may look a bit off, but he has to have seen the fan reaction to Jar Jar in Star Wars. I'm not saying it's impossible that he's trying to appeal to little kids, but I'm betting that all this hype about the twins is Bay perpetuating the stereotype started by fan rumor and rolling with it.

Yeah, makes you wonder though about Sam being in a bad mood in the beginning of the trailer, and saying he's going to leave Bumblebee behind... it's time to grow up and move on with life or some such... I mean, if you were eighteen, had an incredibly hot girlfriend and your cool muscle car turned into a giant robot, why would you possibly WANT to move on?

There is an extended clip of that scene online...may have been linked in the TF2 thread. Sam basically says that "freshmen aren't allowed to have cars" or some such thing. So if that stays in the final cut (and I've remembered it right) there's more too it than him just wanting to move on. Still I have no idea why you would want to move on from giant ass kicking robots...I mean really.

There is an extended clip of that scene online...may have been linked in the TF2 thread. Sam basically says that "freshmen aren't allowed to have cars" or some such thing. So if that stays in the final cut (and I've remembered it right) there's more too it than him just wanting to move on. Still I have no idea why you would want to move on from giant ass kicking robots...I mean really.

But surely the federal government would pay for Bumble Bee to have a off campus garage For him to live in.

Edited by miles316

I wouldn't bet on it being fake info. Seems like too elaborate (and expensive) a hoax, Hasbro actually producing toys of them.

I'm not saying the characters aren't real, I'm saying that the personalities could be fabricated. Bay said they were dumb and young, but I'm curious if that's because how the fandom has portrayed them. The toy bios state that they are young and inexperienced. Mudflap has a 5 intelligence and Skids has a 6. That sounds pretty average and not like a pair of "dumb bots".

Ah, I see what you mean now. It would be unfortunate that Bay would toy with the fans considering how unhappy he's already made so many of them.

Better-looking TFs and less camp would likely have made the first movie much more enjoyable all around. It wouldn't surprise me it ROTF also lacks this formula.

considering that Transformers in general are Toy Commercial show, I wouldn't be complaining. Bay has way less camp than the original cartoon. Pissed off fans just have Nostalgia Glasses who saw the original as if it was a holy grail of television. Transformers is more than just g1, it encompasses many universes and series, Beastwars and TF: Animated being my personal faves. Anyway, sure the first movie had flaws and the lack of robots is due to CG being very expensive. Revenge of the Fallen is promising. It delves very much about the robots lore. If you read the prequel comics you'll know they'll be

using a star harvester to revive the Allspark

a plot lifter off from the cartoons themselves. It also has MORE MORE ROBOTS due to ramped up budget.

Pissed off fans just have Nostalgia Glasses who saw the original as if it was a holy grail of television. Transformers is more than just g1

Why is it that when anyone complains about the look of the Bayformers someone always comes back with the "G1 fanboy" fallacy?

I own many different Transformers from G1 up to and including recent Animated TFs. I have embraced many different looks and styles and themes over the last 25 years. I also own GoBots, GoDaikins, Gundams, and Macross mecha. I like all sorts of robots and mecha from all sorts of series, covering a broad range of aesthetics and designs.

What I don't like are designs that have bug heads and lack a cohesive shape.

If you like them, that's fine, but that doesn't mean everyone else is automatically a G1 purist with "Nostalgia Glasses". Save that argument for someone who is actually comparing them to G1.

considering that Transformers in general are Toy Commercial show, I wouldn't be complaining.
If the movie did without cliche' humor that you can see coming from a mile away, it would be a lot better off. For example, I liked Bernie Mac's part in TF1 but hated how corny John Turturro's character was, and it looks like it's not any different in ROTF. Humor is to be expected, but if cut down and not cliche, is not as bad.

If the movie did without cliche' humor that you can see coming from a mile away, it would be a lot better off. For example, I liked Bernie Mac's part in TF1 but hated how corny John Turturro's character was, and it looks like it's not any different in ROTF. Humor is to be expected, but if cut down and not cliche, is not as bad.

Did they fire Turturro's character after they disbanded section seven because he was a idiot or did he quit?

I heard from one of the web sights quoted in this thread said he was working in his mothers deli.

One would thing the government would give them new government jobs to shut them up, but He is working for his mom.

Edited by miles316

I don't think a movie about giant alien robots needs to side on the side of realism with government employees. I think it's kinda funny he went from "do whatever I want and get away with it badge" guy to mothers basement kinda guy.

Did they fire Turturro's character after they disbanded section seven because he was a idiot or did he quit?

I heard from one of the web sights quoted in this thread said he was working in his mothers deli.

One would thing the government would give them new government jobs to shut them up, but He is working for his mom.

The prequel comics have them getting disbanded, if I remember correctly.

The prequel comics have them getting disbanded, if I remember correctly.

They announced section seven disbandment at the end of the movie.

Though I assume John Turturro left his crummy government job because he could not make people disappear.

Man.... I'm gonna have to find me some season 3 rips...

Stupid broadcast-only TV...

I just let it go. No biggie. Didn't wanna have that discussion again.

But... don't you know that if you redesign the Alternators to look like the movie designs they look JUST LIKE the movie designs?

How can you POSSIBLY not like the movie designs and still like Alternators?!?!

Edited by JB0