Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

I'm sorely disappointed with Devastator. Not just his appearance, but also that the vehicles forming him don't have bot modes. That deviates from the TF definition of the word "combiner", I think.

Of course, this is all assuming that the info I've seen is accurate.

Devastators components have bot modes. One is seen in the trailer for the movie, and there are shots of the bot modes for each component floating around.

Edit: Here's a link with some official images from the movie figs: http://www.seibertron.com/events/gallery.php?event_id=105

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Devastators components have bot modes. One is seen in the trailer for the movie, and there are shots of the bot modes for each component floating around.

Edit: Here's a link with some official images from the movie figs: http://www.seibertron.com/events/gallery.php?event_id=105

No bot modes in that link. But I hope you're right. Not many folks would buy a truck that transforms into a foot.

Or a cement truck that transforms---into a cement truck. (seriously, get a sideview of Devastator--I think there's 1 single moving piece on that component, to reveal the face)

PS---biggest dissapointment? It seems there are prominent movie characters who I've never heard of, or are MINOR G1 etc characters. Mudflap (WTF?) and Skids? Where's Tracks/Sunstreaker/Hound/Wheeljack/Bluestreak/Prowl/Gears/Cliffjumper?

Instead of complaining about movie toys, which I never liked and never expected to like... I'm going to praise Hasbro for a few things:

1. Animated Ratbat. I love him. I want him. Ratbat is one of my all time favorite characters. This is a GREAT GREAT treat. And I like the colors on Animated Soundwave w/Ratbat more than the initial one. WIN.

2. Animated Arcee: FINALLY!! FINALLY AN ARCEE TOY THAT LOOKS LIKE G1 ARCEE!! FINALLY!!! SWEEET LORD ALMIGHTY IN ONLY TOOK YOU 25 YEARS!!! OOOHHH FINALLY!!!!!!!! FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUULLLYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank Hasbro. She looks great. It's not that hard is it? When I recall to mind all of the Black Arachnia repaints, and that ugly squeemish Energon motorcycle...and think about the upcoming movie atrocity... I AM THANKFUL THAT IN ALL OF THAT MESS SOMEONE FINALLY MADE ARCEE G1 LIKE SHE'S SUPPOSED TO BE!

I am truly amazed at Animated. By far the best Transformers line since G1 and BW.

Pete

Also just because they don't have shots of all the constructicons bot modes doesn't mean they don't have any. For those that don't want to thumb through.

Rampage bot: http://www.seibertron.com/events/fullsize....e=1â„‘=6

Demolisher bot: http://www.seibertron.com/events/fullsize....=1â„‘=69 who is also the freeway smasher from the trailer.

And just because what they turn into to form Devastator is fairly minor, doesn't mean that their individual bot modes are so simple. As I recall even the Classics line Devastator has minimal transformations on certain pieces, especially the arms. I'm not saying I love the design, I'm kinda on the fence until I see it in the movie. But I don't think judging the components purely on what they look like as Devastator is the right way to go about it.

Just a quick edit to illustrate my Devastator point: http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/toy...ator/1179/1/50/ while overall the mode looks good, so he fairs better than movie Devastator, the arms are basically a crane and front end loader, but they obviously have their own modes. I don't think movie Dev will be much different, even if all the bot modes aren't revealed yet.

Or a cement truck that transforms---into a cement truck. (seriously, get a sideview of Devastator--I think there's 1 single moving piece on that component, to reveal the face)

PS---biggest dissapointment? It seems there are prominent movie characters who I've never heard of, or are MINOR G1 etc characters. Mudflap (WTF?) and Skids? Where's Tracks/Sunstreaker/Hound/Wheeljack/Bluestreak/Prowl/Gears/Cliffjumper?

Oh poo, the cement mixer transforms from cement mixer to an ass for a head or is it the other way around?

Heh :) Just had a look at "Mega Power Bots Devastator" - THAT'S what the movie version should look like.

Although it's still a step DOWN.

How is it "mor realistic" when Transformers gestalts have no freakin' hands? Or even claws? Or anything... It's just a bunch of random limbs put together.

You'd THINK that these handless aliens - having spent some time on Earth - would have figured out by now that what makes humans the dominant lifeform - other than brains - are their five-fingers hands!

Pete

I know I'm kinda play devil's advocate with the movie stuff in both threads but there was an article (I'll try to find the link for those interested) about how the movie Soundwave figure is based off the movie but they took the toy design in it's own direction. So a toy may not always be an accurate depiction of the character either. Now if it was done because SW is just too complex or what I'm not sure, and it does kinda stink. I guess my point is bad toy doesn't always equate to a bad design in the long run. Though I'm well aware the movie designs on the whole are love em or hate em.

here's that Soundwave link: http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/new...otf-toys/15176/

sorry for all the Seibertron links, they are kinda my window to the TFs world. The site is a little slow tonight though.

here's the little blurb from the article so you don't have to click: "-Soundwave's toy design is a combination of his movie design, and Hasbro's need for the toy to be a bit more basic. There is a reason for the way he is designed in the film, but that would be telling, which they are not."

Wait.

I just realized this.

DEVASTATOR'S COMPONENTS DON'T TRANSFORM INTO ROBOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The "Devastator set" for a hundred bucks features VECHICLES THAT DON'T HAVE INDIVIDUAL ROBOT MODES!!!!!

If you want individual robot modes for them - you get them as seperate vechicles who turn into robots BUT THEY DON'T MERGE INTO DEVASTATOR!

I'm shocked.

That is LAME.

Pete

So, anybody like the F-35 guy, Breakaway? The fact his face is inside his cockpit amuses me.

You seem to be confusing this movie continuity with G1 :p Edited by Fit For Natalie

So, anybody like the F-35 guy, Breakaway? The fact his face is inside his cockpit amuses me.

I like him; and not just because I can be a sucker for transforming planes. Animated Arcee and Soundwave w/ Ratbat( awesome..but what's next- Rumble as a drum kit?), the new Leader Prime, Mudflap, and Breakaway are my favorites of the bunch and on my must buy list.

Wait.

I just realized this.

DEVASTATOR'S COMPONENTS DON'T TRANSFORM INTO ROBOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The "Devastator set" for a hundred bucks features VECHICLES THAT DON'T HAVE INDIVIDUAL ROBOT MODES!!!!!

If you want individual robot modes for them - you get them as seperate vechicles who turn into robots BUT THEY DON'T MERGE INTO DEVASTATOR!

I'm shocked.

That is LAME.

Pete

This is news that has been around for weeks.

The Animated stuff is awesome. My wallet weeps, though I can't tell if it's for joy or b/c it's gonna be running low when those come out??? I can't wait to see Rodimus! Maybe we'll get a sneak peak during the show???

Devastator is 2 feet tall? I'm put off that the limbs don't have individual robot modes, but that alone wasn't enough to pass on it. A two foot tall robot's a bit too large for me though.

Nowhere near 2 feet tall. He's 2 feet tall the same way Unicron is...

Anyways--I don't like Breakaway. Face in cockpit is fine--but he's got half a jet sticking out above it! Kind of like Blackout, but 10x worse. It's like they forgot to transform the other half of the plane downwards, making it back kibble--but it pretty much looks like that's how it is.

And he's not an F-35. I don't think he's anything. They clearly have the Lockheed license due to the F-22, but he's pretty much an F-2 with an F-35's nosecone, engine and v.stabs.

As for Devastator--I'd be fine with "no robot mods" IF it was the most amazing combiner ever, with much transformation required to assemble, to the point that you think "there's no way to make a robot too, as the individual vehicles use every single part they have to make limbs". But look at the head, torso, arms---they don't even transform. Their combiner mode is vehicle mode with one panel flipped out. You could make a perfect clone of Hasbro's toy by buying some small construction toys, adding a joint or two for articulation, and gluing them together. The legs "straighten out" but that's about all the transformation there is.

It's like Hasbro's designers just lost all their talent in making that. For not having robot modes, Devastator should be WAY more complex/accurate. The cement truck could at least have ONE transformation joint in it, to fold the cab down or something.

Good point David.

I mean - I got to thinking about some of the Chogokin I have from Yamato or Bandai who are not perfect transformation; who are partsformers - like Getter Robo and Groxier X and my upcoming Dangaurd Ace...I'm sure there are plenty such examples to go around....

But - a) these things were super robots designed 30 years ago, b) their alt modes are "fantasy" and c) we've seen SHE take on a number of such super robots making Perfect Transformation getter robo and the like with various results...

Hasbro had a clean slate. I remember Aron Archer once saying - about a year ago - that Hasbro was not generally doing gestalts because they are really hard to design.

I remember thinking "huh? What? What's that supposed to mean. I mean - abstracting from the gazillion gestalts in G1 - Predaking being an OUTSTANDING example (albeit the design was, I believe, not originally Hasbro's) - Hasbro have designed some fine gestalts - Tripredicus and the Maximal gestalt are two VERY GOOD examples. Car Robots also featured two WONDERFUL Gestalts - The train one was really great, and the Construction machines one was very good too. The trains individual robot modes were kind of lanky, but the combined mode was really a sight to behold. One of the best TFs around. Conversely - the Build Team had great individual modes - a tad weaker combined mode - but good nonetheless.

Energon did indeed have ugly and stupid gestalts - what with the copycat limbs and no real hands...

But...

I think there must have been some kind of internal revolution in Hasbro's offices - perhaps also in Takara (which did after all merge with Tomy).

I think that the old design team must have left, gone on to greater things - whatever - and it seems almost as if Hasbro outsourced the Movie toy designs to some people in a third rate bootleg factory - the DESIGNS - not the construction - but the designs.

I mean -when freaking non-transformable kiddie Power Devastator looks better than the 100 dollar "super toy of 2009" - you know there's trouble.

Clearly there is still talent working at Hasbro. Animated - both the show, the design and the toys are A+ stuff. A tad on the floppy/cheap feeling plastic side compared to past lines - but still top notch. VERY good poseability and in many way revolutionary poseability - "dynamic cartoonish" poseability I'd say - with knees being able often to move side to side and joints in places you would not normally expect them.

But the movie line - this is some kind of joke. I mean - could this also be the result of holywood designers creating the projects for these? I remember Michael Bay in the DVD edition of the movie where he talks about how the design team was working on Prime and some Japanese guy started screaming "this is an insult to the Japanese people!" and Bay was like "fine - you do Prime" -- and he did...

Now I suddenly think: dag - maybe they really did have a bunch of holywood designers with no feel or sense of G1 doing these and ONE Japanese dude who knew what was happening and at least saved Optimus Prime from looking like a train wreck (and Optimus Prime is the only TF in the movie franchise who actually looks like his G1 counterpart for the most part and has a GOOD TOY)... I dunno...

I just...I can't understand why they are dropping the ball like this. There must be something causing them to FAIL on the movie line...

what could it be?

I'm almost getting the feeling that they're being like: "well - we know the movie is going to sell LOTS of toys. So let's just produce whatever without thinking about it and get it out there and sell it" - I guess that's ok, if it helps finance Animated, Henkei and similar projects in the future... still - it's a bit of a shame...

Pete

Nowhere near 2 feet tall. He's 2 feet tall the same way Unicron is...

But it IS honking huge. There's a post by one of the mods at the Allspark and he keeps emphasizing how the pics don't convey how large the figure actually is.

As for Devastator--I'd be fine with "no robot mods" IF it was the most amazing combiner ever, with much transformation required to assemble, to the point that you think "there's no way to make a robot too, as the individual vehicles use every single part they have to make limbs". But look at the head, torso, arms---they don't even transform. Their combiner mode is vehicle mode with one panel flipped out. You could make a perfect clone of Hasbro's toy by buying some small construction toys, adding a joint or two for articulation, and gluing them together. The legs "straighten out" but that's about all the transformation there is.

It's like Hasbro's designers just lost all their talent in making that. For not having robot modes, Devastator should be WAY more complex/accurate. The cement truck could at least have ONE transformation joint in it, to fold the cab down or something.

I just don't care for large figures any more. I like them even less when they don't have any feature that necessitates the size. I bought the micro versions of the Power Ranger RPM zords because they're tiny and pretty representative of the larger sets even with their size and partforming. The more I'm thinking about this $100 Devastator, the more I think of those micro sets, and how it seems that a $9.99 set is doing more than a $100 one.

This seems like a repeat of Supreme Cheetor, only at double the cost. I sense some major shelfwarming with this set. For what it does, I think a robot replica Devastator would be a better substitute.

In some ways I can see why the Devastator toy isn't actually a combo of all the voyager class toys, or something similar. Hasbro has a tough time making decent looking movie figs that go from vehicle to robot without considering additional things for Devastator. I'm not saying I approve, just that I can kinda see where they might be unable...or unwilling to engineer something like that.

Still I think Alpha is right, it'll probably be a shelf warmer, even if Dev winds up being popular after the movie hits.

Animated is win, again. I'll echo the "finally" for a G1 representive Arcee toy. I wish her car form 's wheels weren't covered by the fenders and that it was a bit more rounded, but overall, I think it's awesome. Yay for Ratbat. I'm looking forward to the toys that come , esp since the show will end after season 3. As someone (sorry, I forgot who) mentioned a few posts back, BW and TFA are , IMHO, the best TF shows. G1 was ok, but I only liked the first season; it became really silly after that and I stopped watching....cosmic rust, Decepticons drunk on energon, Seaspray, Warpath's obnoxious onomatopeia, Kremzeek..nuff said.

Movie Prime definitely looks more like himself with the new mold, although I imagine he has a ginormous backpack to hold all the kibble. Still, it's pretty cool to see the spread leg stance in a small pic thinking it's a CG pic, only to realize it's the toy upon enlarging. Kudos to the designer.

I like Mudflap and Skids, but what's up with the cartoonishly goofy faces? Overall, the toys look decent with good poseability throughout, but those heads need replacing. Sideswipe looks pretty good, but his feet beg the question of stability. The neo-F-35 jet, Breakaway, isn't too bad...I kinda dig the head in the cockpit area. It has more of an Animated feel to it. Also reminds me of the 3 super-deformed transforming planes (Egg-something or other) back in the 80's where the whole cockpit lifted up to reveal eyes. I have the F-15, and I still get a kick out of it.

Starscream, whose original toy I eschewed, looks much better this time. One would think the designers could have hidden the hands in jet mode, and brought the legs together a little more in bot. Overall, though, an improvement.

Not caring for Devastator; I'm not a gestalt fan, but as mentioned, there were quite a few produced over the years that were quite well done. With all the talent and technology available, not to mention experience at Hasbro and Takara-Tomy, this design is disappointing. Then again, if the movie designs are the creations of ILM and the producers, with little input from either Hasbro or Takara, then I can forgive them. In the first movie, IIRC, the designers chopped up the image of the vehicle and placed the parts helter-skelter on a robot frame, until the look was finalized. Thus, they're not designed as transforming robots.

Although I'm still not crazy about the movie aesthetic, I think the toys strike a decent balance most of the time. Where I think these things succeed is that they are pretty true to their licensed alts, have unique and sometimes unorthodox transformations, and still have a pretty high degree of articulation. Unlike alot of fans who judge whether or not they'll buy a toy by how much they like or dislike the character in the show/movie (which strikes me as funny, but whatever), I judge the toy buy its own merits, esp the movie toys. Of course, I compare the toys to their various media, but overall I generally like the toy for what it is, and articulation is usually my biggest concern. That said, the movie toys are ok, but I'll be glad when the movie hysteria dies down and Has-Tak can get back to what's really important...Universe Classics! :p

Ugh. I can't believe Universe and Animated are going away for this movie crap. Leader Prime looks pretty good, although I hope those fenders are mistransformed, and it also looks like they improved Starscream, but for the most part, they're polishing turds here (or repainting them, in a few cases). The Bayformers look good on the big screen when they have thousands of moving parts (and anime magic) behind them. They don't translate to toys well at all.

Animated's got a few surprises left, thankfully. Even though I swore off Animated, I think I'll still pick up Waspinator and Arcee, then stick them in with their respective Classics/Universe factions.

As for Universe, I was excited for a minute when I heard they were coming out with 10 new Deluxe figures, but then I realized most of them are already out. We're really just waiting on Ratchet, Hot Shot, and Leo Prime, plus the last wave of Legends and Overload. Or in my case, Ratchet, Hot Shot, the last wave of Legends minus Rodimus, and Inferno, whom I still can't find anywhere.

damn that is a shame. they should just release different lines to let customers decide what they want to buy. they should also modify and repaint inferno into grapple before they postpone releasing universe.

Does anyone know if there's ANY plans for widescreen Animated DVDs?

I'd like to not buy the current DVDs and then find out they did it RIGHT later.

You seem to be confusing this movie continuity with G1 :p

And you seem to be confusing a franchise installment fueled by nostalgia with a wholly original work.

Though not wanting to bank on the brand's history WOULD explain why the leader is Optimus Prime, a name with no sentiment or history, instead of the legendary Skeleton Convoy.

And why Optimus is voiced by some random dude off the street instead of the same guy that voiced him over two decades ago.

Edited by JB0

About Mudflap and Skids - I can't remember which is which - but one of them not only has a face that looks like the cat chewed on the figure's head but his legs also suck because - notice how the car doors just loooooooooooom off of them? Utter trash kibble wise. Poseable legs that bend at the knees but can't be posed or bent because of mega-kibble.

I dunno. I just expected like...the greatest Transformers toys in history for the Movie line - but it continues to dissapoint.

Pete

wow! this Devastator has bunny ears!

never in a million years would i have associated "Devastator" with a bunny rabbit, but there it is.

so this is their best effort at a new-generation combiner toy?

how do you do that with generations of combiner toys to draw inspiration & technology from?

some of the talent from the designers of the animated toys could have made it better.

hmm... Devastator Bunny... i think i'm on to something :lol:

Good point David.

I mean - I got to thinking about some of the Chogokin I have from Yamato or Bandai who are not perfect transformation; who are partsformers - like Getter Robo and Groxier X and my upcoming Dangaurd Ace...I'm sure there are plenty such examples to go around....

But - a) these things were super robots designed 30 years ago, b) their alt modes are "fantasy" and c) we've seen SHE take on a number of such super robots making Perfect Transformation getter robo and the like with various results...

Hasbro had a clean slate. I remember Aron Archer once saying - about a year ago - that Hasbro was not generally doing gestalts because they are really hard to design.

I remember thinking "huh? What? What's that supposed to mean. I mean - abstracting from the gazillion gestalts in G1 - Predaking being an OUTSTANDING example (albeit the design was, I believe, not originally Hasbro's) - Hasbro have designed some fine gestalts - Tripredicus and the Maximal gestalt are two VERY GOOD examples. Car Robots also featured two WONDERFUL Gestalts - The train one was really great, and the Construction machines one was very good too. The trains individual robot modes were kind of lanky, but the combined mode was really a sight to behold. One of the best TFs around. Conversely - the Build Team had great individual modes - a tad weaker combined mode - but good nonetheless.

Energon did indeed have ugly and stupid gestalts - what with the copycat limbs and no real hands...

But...

I think there must have been some kind of internal revolution in Hasbro's offices - perhaps also in Takara (which did after all merge with Tomy).

I think that the old design team must have left, gone on to greater things - whatever - and it seems almost as if Hasbro outsourced the Movie toy designs to some people in a third rate bootleg factory - the DESIGNS - not the construction - but the designs.

I mean -when freaking non-transformable kiddie Power Devastator looks better than the 100 dollar "super toy of 2009" - you know there's trouble.

Clearly there is still talent working at Hasbro. Animated - both the show, the design and the toys are A+ stuff. A tad on the floppy/cheap feeling plastic side compared to past lines - but still top notch. VERY good poseability and in many way revolutionary poseability - "dynamic cartoonish" poseability I'd say - with knees being able often to move side to side and joints in places you would not normally expect them.

But the movie line - this is some kind of joke. I mean - could this also be the result of holywood designers creating the projects for these? I remember Michael Bay in the DVD edition of the movie where he talks about how the design team was working on Prime and some Japanese guy started screaming "this is an insult to the Japanese people!" and Bay was like "fine - you do Prime" -- and he did...

Now I suddenly think: dag - maybe they really did have a bunch of holywood designers with no feel or sense of G1 doing these and ONE Japanese dude who knew what was happening and at least saved Optimus Prime from looking like a train wreck (and Optimus Prime is the only TF in the movie franchise who actually looks like his G1 counterpart for the most part and has a GOOD TOY)... I dunno...

I just...I can't understand why they are dropping the ball like this. There must be something causing them to FAIL on the movie line...

what could it be?

I'm almost getting the feeling that they're being like: "well - we know the movie is going to sell LOTS of toys. So let's just produce whatever without thinking about it and get it out there and sell it" - I guess that's ok, if it helps finance Animated, Henkei and similar projects in the future... still - it's a bit of a shame...

Pete

Most of the designers from the past 7 or so years are still at Hasbro. Eric Siebenaler (Animated lead designer) designed some ROTF toys, though he didn't say which ones. Apparently the entire Universe team was move over to ROTF.

Calm down man. Besides Devastator, the rest of the ROTF line is fine. In fact, thus it's better than the 2007 movie line.