Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

I like Blurr's car mode - but the robot mode... I don't know if I like the design. All of the other Animated toys succeed and capture my heart because they retain, honor, respect and ACHIEVE the coveted "Transformers have lower legs that are bigger than upper legs" or "boots" standard. This is one thing that makes a Transformer a Transformer in my mind and it is very prevalent throughout the line. Blurr was "sleek" - sure - but he did, along with Kup and Hotrod and everyone else, retain this feature, In fact, if I recall correctly, the only ones who DIDN'T retain this feature were Arcee (fembot) and Bumblebee (because his legs were supposed to be scrawny like a little kid and his "shoes" were like big sneakers)...

Anyways - this Blurr has sacrificed this in favor of the "sleek legs" design element - bu they are just too scrawny in my book.

I was excited about Animated Swindle - and still sort of am - but ever since Encore Bruticus was informally announced, it's becoming a moot point - though I probably will get Swindle.

And Wreck Gar. Need him.

Pete (still PMSing, I guess ;) )

Well they had to do something with that backpack..

Target definitely raised their prices,: I didn't look at the activators but their Deluxe figures were now $10.99, and their Voyagers $21.99. Their sole Leader-class, a Bulkhead, was $44.99. I would have picked up a Oil Slick or Blitzwing figure, but I can probably find better prices on online*. NO new stuff or much Universe stuff there either.

(*Minus shipping, of course- But paying for shipping never really hurts me..being a mail carrier, it pretty much means it's just coming back to my pocket anyhow. ^_^ )

Edited by Letigre

Target definitely raised their prices,: I didn't look at the activators but their Deluxe figures were now $10.99, and their Voyagers $21.99

Didn't you get the memo?

Hasbro raised their prices back in September. The only reason you're feeling it now is because retailers decided to have a price war before Christmas. Now the new prices are going into effect.

FYI, I have him and was somewhat let down - he's basically a glorified shellformer ...

Key word here is "glorified" - he looks just like G1 Wreck Gar, the only big change is that his head is a TV- which is the most brilliant modification to an old design EVER, his colors are perfect...heck - his Alt mode is perfect...

I think the only thing they could have done better is give him a gimmick where you press a button and all his limbs fall off :)

JUNK MODE!

Pete

Didn't you get the memo?

Hasbro raised their prices back in September. The only reason you're feeling it now is because retailers decided to have a price war before Christmas. Now the new prices are going into effect.

No, I didn't get the memo.. As little as week or two ago the same place was still selling them at reduced prices. So maybe this place is slow to catch on. Or I am..

Edited by Letigre

Yeah, but if Hasbro's suggested retail is $10.99 for a Deluxe, and the Christmas price war is over, so most people are actually charging that now (which I guess I'm okay with), why the heck is Wal-Mart jacking them up to $12.99? Wal-Mart's gone from being the place to get Deluxes to the last place to get them.

Well, as of Friday, my Wal-Mart was still $7.77 for Universe, and $9.98 for Animated. When I snagged Smokescreen, though, their register was definitely giving them some kind of grief. They had to put the $7.77 price in manually.

I've started doing a bit on my MP TC painting again---despite my not liking them much, the "no steps" etc are going to have to stay----any attempt at removal with thinners, alcohols etc removes the gloss coat first, and he'll look horrible if I continue. I'm only really annoyed at this for the nose, as the markings aren't aligned (the parts clearly weren't quite transformed right when the tampo was applied, so when you do transform him correctly, the markings don't fit together) I may try sanding part of the nose markings off, that actually worked the best to avoid damaging the clear-coat. SS doesn't have this problem, as none of his versions are glossed. I assume SW is the same as TC.

Through raw experimentation I came across my "inner intake" marking pattern--as close to G1 toy as can be managed. (IMHO the MP seeker mold IS Thundercracker due to the intakes---SS and SW do not have intake markings at all like that---the MP seeker is a hybrid of G1 TC and a real F-15 there)

Futuring the un-glossed parts matches the factory parts EXACTLY, so I'm doing it wherever possible. The "super-dull" parts though just plain don't work---they're like Future-proof. Going to have to remain dull. Honestly, I wonder if they DID use Future. I mean it's EXACTLY the same, even the factory feathering and runs match how Future dries. (plus how it reacts to alcohol and sanding)

I will post pics when I finish, if it looks decent. No in-progress ones unless a particular parts comes out very well. And I'll post it to TFW 2005 if it looks really good. (of course, I need some stickers from Reprolabels, or it'll never be done)

Actually, nose-sanding went very well last night. I may do more.

::late update:: Now I'm trying to decide how I'm going to do the lower rear fuselage. Strip it and hope I can match the gloss blue? Black? Silver? (I'd like to make it blue, but that's probably the hardest due to it already being painted there)

I'm busting with excitement that I had to post. Today I was at Wal-mart during my lunch break doing my usual check on the toy section. Then an employee gets on the intercom and says that all the toys in the clearance aisle are an additional 50% off. I found the 25th anniversary Optimus Prime for $27.50. I couldn't believe my luck! It was already marked down to $55 from $69.

This one: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10339834

The lady at the checkout mentioned that they had done this the day before as well. There were no signs anywhere to tell people of the 50% sale, only the lady on the intercom. So, you might want to check out your local Wal-Mart. Also, the 50% discount wasn't automatic when scanned. The cashier had to manually cut the price.

I also picked up the Force Unleashed 3-pack w/ Vader and 2 Incinerator troopers.

http://www.rebelscum.com/tacTFUincinerators.asp

I'm busting with excitement that I had to post. Today I was at Wal-mart during my lunch break doing my usual check on the toy section. Then an employee gets on the intercom and says that all the toys in the clearance aisle are an additional 50% off. I found the 25th anniversary Optimus Prime for $27.50. I couldn't believe my luck! It was already marked down to $55 from $69.

This one: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10339834

The lady at the checkout mentioned that they had done this the day before as well. There were no signs anywhere to tell people of the 50% sale, only the lady on the intercom. So, you might want to check out your local Wal-Mart. Also, the 50% discount wasn't automatic when scanned. The cashier had to manually cut the price.

I also picked up the Force Unleashed 3-pack w/ Vader and 2 Incinerator troopers.

http://www.rebelscum.com/tacTFUincinerators.asp

I can beat it. I found the very first wave of Masterpiece Primes at my local WalMart when they just hit the states. Even though I already had the Import, I wanted to grab a domestic version. The shelf didn't have a tag so I took it to the price checker on the next aisle over.

$24.99

Not clearanced, not on sale, just straight up miss-priced at less than half of MSRP. I bought two.

Trying to think of how to paint my TC yet again. (you know, if they'd simply painted the accents BLACK to start with, he'd be done now) I mean, Skywarp's primary accent is purple, that never changes. TC's primary accent color is black, yet both Hasbro and Takara like to seem to **** around with that a lot, and often give us gunmetal or grey. Those aren't black. And this time they gave us navy blue. Also not BLACK.

Repainting *everything* is impossible, mainly due to the forearms/fists. Luckily, those are the dullest and least-blue parts of him, and look OK as-is. I've thought about painting only the nosecone and tailfins black, so that he'd look right in jetmode--the nose and fins are mostly hidden in bot-mode, so he'd simply "change colors" when transforming. But then his bot-mode would still be mostly wrong, in being two-tone blue, instead of blue and black.

Repainting almost everything would be a lot of work and chances for screwing up, and repainting dark dark blue into black almost seems a waste. Especially when even after all that the fists etc still wouldn't be right nor match. But G1 toon TC's fists didn't match the rest of him either. Then again, every other incarnation of TC has "matching" fists.

Won't even get into lower rear fuselage/leg painting...

It's just that they came so close yet so far to being "perfect right out of the box". MP TC doesn't have ANY black when he should have lots. Navy blue has never been a TC color. (I'm going to experiment some with paint stripping today and see what I can do) (since I'm doing the big hip-kibble mod, that actually affects things paint-wise, as the paint on the booms now lines up with the lower leg paint---looks weird in most cases, so it has to either be all gone or all the same color)