Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

Last post:

tfw2005.com has pictures of Animated Samurai Prowl, Waspinator, Wreck-Gar, and some repaint of Lugnut.

The new molds look amazing. I've pretty much stopped collecting toys outside of the Animated line.

Was Prowl mold retooled for the Samurai Armor or they act just as add on to the previous release, I noticed difference in the chest area/ front of the bike mode that are not in the original figure

Was Prowl mold retooled for the Samurai Armor or they act just as add on to the previous release, I noticed difference in the chest area/ front of the bike mode that are not in the original figure

Looks like there's plenty of differences. The front of the bike has been remolded to have that ugly beak-like thing. Ver. 1 Prowl had smoked clear plastic for the windshield and headlights, red and blue clear plastic for the lightbar. Ver. 2 has only clear blue plastic for all clear parts and some imho unnecessary tech-y detail.

Hubcaps are no longer fully painted in gold, so it looks like the removable ninja stars will sport either unpainted black or grey blades. The fingers are no longer painted in tan, just bare black plastic. There are now some visible attachment points/ports for the sidecar armour to attach to.

The fins on the back of the bot mode now appear to come up straighter and higher than on ver.1. Ver. 1's fins were further back. From the pic, it also appears the armour's boosters which go over the fins are missing. Either the Hasbro photographer mistransformed the toy (as usual) or the designers couldn't work it in.

It also looks like the sidecar's wheel won't be able to rotate since it has a hinge for the blade. Bike mode's handlebars are missing but that is likely due to them not being folded out.

Edited by IXTL

MP Grimlock is disappointing.

I have to agree. The resin proto pic was underwhelming and while this art makes it look a little better, the higher than usual retail price for an MP figure is making me think twice about getting one.

Edited by IXTL

I have to agree. The resin proto pic was underwhelming and while this art makes it look a little better, the higher than usual retail price for an MP figure is making me think twice about getting one.

so what would make this grimlock better? I know for sure I'ma buy it. I think it looks good as it is. Once this gets into the final stages, I'm sure it'll look a lot better. I can't wait for it.

so what would make this grimlock better? I know for sure I'ma buy it. I think it looks good as it is. Once this gets into the final stages, I'm sure it'll look a lot better. I can't wait for it.

It just looks like an upscaled version of the original G1 toy. I was hoping for some of complex transformation sequences found in the other MP releases.

oh come on, what were you guys expecting, even Grimlock in the G1 cartoon his transformation was just like the toy parts didn't disappear due to anime magic, well maybe the tail which seems in the MP fold inside the legs. Still basically with Grimlock what you would be getting is possibility, size and increase of Price due to the economy.

Kinda what I was going to say--G1 Grimlock had one of the most "toy accurate" transformations. Hiding the tip of the tail (and the dino head) is about the only change needed. As opposed to Prime, which needs to have arms doubly thick, waist half as thick and lose the front wheels. And Megatron is self-explanatory.

It just looks like an upscaled version of the original G1 toy. I was hoping for some of complex transformation sequences found in the other MP releases.

The only MPs with complex transformations were Megatron and Starscream. Prime is easy to transform, even Starscream to some extent.

I get that... It's just after the engineering feats in the past releases just upscaling the original mold just feels underwhelming.

Takara did what you wanted with MP Starscream and people complained.

I get that... It's just after the engineering feats in the past releases just upscaling the original mold just feels underwhelming.

You can say that again!

Still, I always wanted a Grimlock as a kid and the "waiter mode" ads extra points. Chalk one up for nostalgia (plus the dino mode looks rather nice so far).

Now, the Mickey Prime being just a shellformer is a no. Got really exited by looking at the first tiny pics but now it's "meh" unless the colors make it shine a lot.

BTW, thank you very much IXTL for all the pics in this and other threads

Know what? The more closely I see it the more I feel hyped by MP Grimlock. The drawing promises a lot of detail and maybe some fun gimmicks.

Only other MP that would get me worked up is a Devastator (fat chance :lol: ) or an Astrotrain.

The only MPs with complex transformations were Megatron and Starscream. Prime is easy to transform, even Starscream to some extent.

Takara did what you wanted with MP Starscream and people complained.

MP convoy may have been easy to transform but the actual mechanics in the chest were pretty clever, there's some real ingenuity in that part.

And I like the complex transformation of MP starscream.

There's just little to the transformation of grimlock, I'm glad it's going to be loaded with gimmicks but I get a lot of my satisfaction with transforming toys out of the actual transformation.

bah. grimlock's fine, he doesnt need an overly complex transformation, but he better be MP prime sized in robot mode, any smaller would be a problem

still, thanks to furman grimlock will always have a place in my collection. heck i brought energon grimlock.

There's just little to the transformation of grimlock

It's too early to tell from the pics of the lineart, where we only see 2 modes and nothing showing the transformation from 1 mode to the other, just supplementary gimmicks. If we were shown the same thing with MP Prime(lineart just showing 2 modes), we wouldn't be able to tell if it even had the chest transformation you were talking about.

It's too early to tell from the pics of the lineart, where we only see 2 modes and nothing showing the transformation from 1 mode to the other, just supplementary gimmicks. If we were shown the same thing with MP Prime(lineart just showing 2 modes), we wouldn't be able to tell if it even had the chest transformation you were talking about.

sure you would, MP Convoy's chest looks nothing like the the cab, so it's pretty obvious something's going on there. Grimmy looks straight forward.

I would have liked if the dino mode was more articulated. Like if the head could swing side to side.

I can agree that the "transformation" is not complex.

Is that okay with me. Hell yeah.

I actually hate overly complicated TF's.

What I care about with this one is posability.

He should have it in spades since the transformation is simple.

I can agree that the "transformation" is not complex.

Is that okay with me. Hell yeah.

I actually hate overly complicated TF's.

What I care about with this one is posability.

He should have it in spades since the transformation is simple.

Considering that the Masterpieces are display figures that happen to transform and not actual toys...

Considering that the Masterpieces are display figures that happen to transform and not actual toys...

What are you talking about? Have you handled MP Prime or Starscream? The MP and Binaltech/Alternator figures are toys, not model kits. Collector's toys yes, but still toys. MP Prime is one of the most durable collectors toys I have ever handled, and to an extent, Starscream is fairly durable too.

What are you talking about? Have you handled MP Prime or Starscream? The MP and Binaltech/Alternator figures are toys, not model kits. Collector's toys yes, but still toys. MP Prime is one of the most durable collectors toys I have ever handled, and to an extent, Starscream is fairly durable too.

I transformed my masterpiece prime a couple of times and then left it in a pose due to horrible chipping of the pain in the diecast parts. And i wouldn't give MP Starscream to a kid unless i wanted it to explode...

I suppose MP Megatron is also indestructable.

Did i even mention the alternators?

So uh, these 1/32 scale Alternity cars will be replacing the Binaltechs? If yes, will the first one to be released a BT-23?

Yes. The first one will be numbered A-01 Convoy (in 2 colour variants) and A-02 will be Megatron (in 2 colour variants).

Edited by IXTL