Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.2

Graham

I was REALLY excited about the VF-25S Ozma version and was really eager to pre-order it, until I figured out the for the crazy prices they're commanding these days (almost 200 AUD!!!) they're simply not worth the serious compromises they make. If it wasn't for the fugly hip joint placement, I would have still bought it anyway since frankly, gerwalk and fighter doesn't look that bad at all despite of mismatches with lineart.

A guy like me buys relatively few toys, but when I do I am willing to pay the required price as long as the matching quality is there. I'm not expecting absolute lineart accuracy, but I do expect it to look so close to line art (i.e. gets all the basic proportions and features correct) that you'll actually need to be a stickler for detail to notice the difference. I'm happy to pay just under 250 AUD for a VF-25S 1/60 that I deem good enough, but I'm VERY serious about the good enough part. And of course, diecast (or a material of equivalent strength and durability) is a must for all major load bearing parts.

Edited by VF-25S Full Armour

Die-cast on transforming toys is fine, as long as it's handled competently - Binaltechs, especially the early ones, were terrible for chipping.

My SOC's on the other hand, Gunbuster, God Mars and Baikanfu all have numerous instances of perfect colour matching, and an obvious understanding of the stresses involved at the connection points - with literally no chipping (I just had a long look), too.

I was REALLY excited about the VF-25S Ozma version and was really eager to pre-order it, until I figured out the for the crazy prices they're commanding these days (almost 200 AUD!!!) they're simply not worth the serious compromises they make. If it wasn't for the fugly hip joint placement, I would have still bought it anyway since frankly, gerwalk and fighter doesn't look that bad at all despite of mismatches with lineart.

A guy like me buys relatively few toys, but when I do I am willing to pay the required price as long as the matching quality is there. I'm not expecting absolute lineart accuracy, but I do expect it to look so close to line art (i.e. gets all the basic proportions and features correct) that you'll actually need to be a stickler for detail to notice the difference. I'm happy to pay just under 250 AUD for a VF-25S 1/60 that I deem good enough, but I'm VERY serious about the good enough part. And of course, diecast (or a material of equivalent strength and durability) is a must for all major load bearing parts.

Dude, the aussie dollar has died in the arse. I have halted all online purchases till it is respectable again. :lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Dude, the aussie dollar has died in the arse. I have halted all online purchases till it is respectable again. :lol:

Well you can see the effect on Ebay already, some stuff are clearly not as "hot" as before (same for kiwi dollar arghhhh)

I just hope the price doesn't exceed 20,000 yen...

@ nugundamII: Gawds. Dude, it was a JOKE (based on their way of releasing quadrillions of Gundam variants). No reason to call me an 'idiot'. :rolleyes:

I SAID

I Kid I kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhoo

like gorilla Prime said, Diecast contruction! Its a lost art

I love DIECAST. Somehow when I wear my ugly garantuan Tudor I feel that I have quality on my wrist

So to can be said for metal toys yes they do chip but they dont fade! so like everything in life you have a ying and a yang and I say the yang in this case has more influence since the only way you can chip something is by being careless but color fading just occurs over time without your control

thanks bye

I can understand Bandai's use of diecast for the ankles as extra weight down there should hopefully help with balance and stability, especially with Super Packs (assuming also that ankle, knee and hip joints are up to the task).

The use of diecast for the hip/intake section and biceps seems somewhat arbitrary. I get the feeling they used diescast there just for the sake of using diecast, not beacuse it's really needed.

Graham

Well I't looks ok to me, at least for what it is. Still has some significant flaws, but with that damned financial crisis, and the exchange rate gone to hell for us Macross Fans from OZ, this is now one of the few Valkyries still within my price range. So glad I got my SV 51, and VF 0 earlier this year, gone are the days when I could see my self buying them some company.

So with luck by the time they come out I can at least aford one VF25 to diversify my Valkyrie collection.

Edited by lord_zed

Well I't looks ok to me, at least for what it is. Still has some significant flaws, but with that damned financial crisis, and the exchange rate gone to hell for us Macross Fans from OZ, this is now one of the few Valkyries still within my price range. So glad I got my SV 51, and VF 0 earlier this year, gone are the days when I could see my self buying them some company.

So with luck by the time they come out I can at least aford one VF25 to diversify my Valkyrie collection.

You mean when AUD is like 0.9 USD..?

Edited by ntsan

:lol: interesting poses. Ozma 's got some major hip sway going on there. "Watch out, you've got more to fear from my giganto-crotch of doom than you do from my knife!" Still looks like a steaming pile of crap, and despite the fixed pose hands the gunpod is being held tilted forward. The gerwalk looks like everything behind the shoulders is slumping and going to fall, either that or that the front end is going to droop and collapse. Fighter mode still has those bigass gaps where the legs should be fitting.

:lol: interesting poses. Ozma 's got some major hip sway going on there. "Watch out, you've got more to fear from my giganto-crotch of doom than you do from my knife!" Still looks like a steaming pile of crap, and despite the fixed pose hands the gunpod is being held tilted forward. The gerwalk looks like everything behind the shoulders is slumping and going to fall, either that or that the front end is going to droop and collapse. Fighter mode still has those bigass gaps where the legs should be fitting.

and yet it still looks less like ass than the 1/100's

and yet it still looks less like ass than the 1/100's

If you mean because the 1/60s look like chunkers and you like your valkyries to look like chunkers: then yes the 1/60s look chunkier than the 1/100s. Otherwise what about the 1/60s looks superior to the 1/100s? The 1/100s are crap in looks compared to the model, and could look a lot better. But I'm not seeing what's more ass like about the 1/100 over the 1/60 in terms of looks.

There are some things better about what we've seen of the 1/60 toy so far. Most of it has to do with the larger size allowing for more detail and a more solid appearance. However, ja, the 1/60 has some very awkward looking joint placement, and highly questionable proportions. I'm still planning to get at least one, but if my opinion doesn't change once I have it in my hands I may pass on the others.

If you mean because the 1/60s look like chunkers and you like your valkyries to look like chunkers: then yes the 1/60s look chunkier than the 1/100s. Otherwise what about the 1/60s looks superior to the 1/100s? The 1/100s are crap in looks compared to the model, and could look a lot better. But I'm not seeing what's more ass like about the 1/100 over the 1/60 in terms of looks.

because while both the 1/100 and 1/60 have large gaps and poor proportions, at least the 1/60 has a look of sturdieness about it. the 1/60 looks well finished and nicely made even if it isn't anime accurate.

not only is the poorly proportioned, it looks flat out cheap. the bad hip placement and thunder thighs are even worse on the 1/100 than they are on the 1/60.

and even worse the lack of detail cheap looking plastic make's it look about on par with a happy meal toy.

if you showed me both toy's for the first time and asked me how much each was worth I'd say the 1/60 about $75+, as for the 1/100's I'd say it's worth about $5 max.

because while both the 1/100 and 1/60 have large gaps and poor proportions, at least the 1/60 has a look of sturdieness about it. the 1/60 looks well finished and nicely made even if it isn't anime accurate.

not only is the poorly proportioned, it looks flat out cheap. the bad hip placement and thunder thighs are even worse on the 1/100 than they are on the 1/60.

and even worse the lack of detail cheap looking plastic make's it look about on par with a happy meal toy.

if you showed me both toy's for the first time and asked me how much each was worth I'd say the 1/60 about $75+, as for the 1/100's I'd say it's worth about $5 max.

So what you think about Toynami 1/100's? $1 worth value? :lol:

So what you think about Toynami 1/100's? $1 worth value? :lol:

I'd put them in the same league. they have some charm value. ^_^

:edit: let me clarify this, I find the toynami 1/100 looks equally cheap, and is equally inaccurate. also I suspect that the bandai offering will be superior in terms of actual build quality, but give the toynami a bit of a boost because it's less of a partsformer, and because the VF-1's design has been done so many times in so many different way's that I'm more willing to forgive a wildly inaccurate sculpt. (in some way's I consider it a fresh take on things, and therefore welcomed.)

Edited by anime52k8

After the VF-25S, the next releases in the DX line will be the RVF-25 and the VF-25G, which they're claiming for March of next year. No official announcement of Macross Quarter and no date has been given; although (unless the DX line dies prematurely) there's a 'good chance' they'll make one if they're showing that picture.

The new pix look awesome to me, thanks! B))

Im still not sold on these. maybe once reviews start to come out my mind will be changed....

All I care about at this point is that there won't be a freekeen "My VF-25's arm fell off" thread when these come out.

Sometimes I think I just shouldn't read the toy forum at Macross world :(

I now own roughly 14 or so Yamato Valkyrie. Out of ALL of the Yamato valkyrie I owned, only 2 ever broke (the 1/72 VF-11B and the 1/60 VF-OA), of which the replacement for one is fine (new 1/60 VFOA is fine).

But EVERY where I turn, all I hear is "arm fell off," "foot fell off," "head fell off," "wing fell off," "spontaneously combusted" and on and on and on :(

It's so depressing :(

But then, when I actually proceed to transform these - nothing breaks. Nothing falls apart. If it does - it's immediate; not gradual. My VF-11B's legs just fell off right when I lifted the thing about 1 inch out of the box. My VFOA's foot broke off as soon as I opened it, the arm fell off as soon as I moved it.

So 2 out of 14 ain't bad. Ain't perfect. But ain't bad.

Please lordy let my VF-1S version 2.0 not fall apart since I was so happy that it had a fast pack and all :( I so looked forward to it :( boo hooo :( I don't want it to die :(

And I really want the VF-25 to be QC free.

You know - I would probably happily buy like triple the amount of Yamatos I have now if not for the FEAR that all of these nightmare QC stories have imparted on me.

I really wanna buy a fleet of VF-25s.

Be perfect and I will :)

Pete