New Homeworld 2 Macross Mod

shadow3393

• 9 months later...

http://youtu.be/2Od7LzHUApI

I know its been a while sence i did a mod video but I want to share a Goodnews badnews.

let me start with the bad news FIRST shortly after the new explosion video my pc got currupted and needed a reformat so all work was lost,

the good news was a new challenge came to my mind the new video will explain both good and bad.

now more bad news 1 it will be slow going to redo the explosions and 2 i found info on how to take hw1 ships and convert them to hw2 now i tried to extract ships from the homeworld 1 macross mod but i cant convert my skills are not that good and that is the other bad news if someone likes to try where i failed i hope someone can get this ship conversion to work.

now the video enjoy

Edited by THEGAMETIPER

Gerli

yes your 100% correct the cartoon clip is from macross 2 lovers again

but try to understand it helps explain 2 vids i made the zen flagship repaint that failed and ship proposal video.

the video is to give a referance as to what i was sell a idea on for ships.

just think of the macross cannon a sdf-1 type ship with 4 zentradi flagships for the main cannon talk about big blast,

i wounder how big will they make the beam with to match the firepower it has.

when it comes to my zentradi mk2 flagship repaint i have NO idea why the orange did not take in the repaint.

now more bad news 1 it will be slow going to redo the explosions and 2 i found info on how to take hw1 ships and convert them to hw2 now i tried to extract ships from the homeworld 1 macross mod but i cant convert my skills are not that good and that is the other bad news if someone likes to try where i failed i hope someone can get this ship conversion to work.

The problem is that HW2 is mostly a dead-end... it's not only an aging engine, but it wasn't particularly suited to the Macross world, as unfortunate as that may be.

One of the biggest problems was that of scale. HW2 ships are a lot smaller than HW1 ships. HW1 has a much more realistic scale of space than many games. For the DYRL TC, we ended up having everything double its proper size, because VFs were virtually impossible to handle at true scale. Contrast this with HW2, where we were running true scale (so, half the size of our ships under HW1) and on some of the small one-on-one skirmish maps, you can spot the enemy N-V by just moving a smidge forward. Huge difference.

In some respects, it's also not as easily modifiable as we were originally lead to believe it was going to be. Just trying to implement things like limited-quantity munitions required roundabout ways of working at it. While not insurmountable, this did have an effect on decreasing morale early on - everybody just thought things would be a lot more straightforward and capable than they turned out to be.

There's also the problems with modeling - or at least, there were. I don't know if it ever changed, but the normal route required Maya, as the Relic toolsets were all only made for that modeling suite. While not a problem personally - as I have professionally used Maya previously and still have an active but old copy - this was often a bottleneck on teams where most of the talent was used to working in other applications.

Then there are the problems with getting HW2 to run reliably on modern systems. I've found it flaky at best under W7 x64. Even vanilla HW2, without any mods, doesn't want to run most of the time.

I'm not trying to dissuade you or anybody else from working on it; just trying to give some perspective on why some of us don't have much interest in any more efforts on that particular engine.

See also my resurrection of this thread: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=5082

Cdr Fokker

if i read your responce correct it sounds like trying to take the uns hw1 ships and bring them over is a no joy

as in cant be done.

ok well what about the flagship retexture problem why is the orange not takeing?

i do wish shadow would have added the uns races as well when he published mod v1

but i do have textures to a macross ship i was woundering who i could give it to so they can put one together for this mod

Cdr Fokker

if i read your responce correct it sounds like trying to take the uns hw1 ships and bring them over is a no joy

as in cant be done.

ok well what about the flagship retexture problem why is the orange not takeing?

i do wish shadow would have added the uns races as well when he published mod v1

but i do have textures to a macross ship i was woundering who i could give it to so they can put one together for this mod

The problem is that HW2 is mostly a dead-end... it's not only an aging engine, but it wasn't particularly suited to the Macross world, as unfortunate as that may be.

One of the biggest problems was that of scale. HW2 ships are a lot smaller than HW1 ships. HW1 has a much more realistic scale of space than many games. For the DYRL TC, we ended up having everything double its proper size, because VFs were virtually impossible to handle at true scale. Contrast this with HW2, where we were running true scale (so, half the size of our ships under HW1) and on some of the small one-on-one skirmish maps, you can spot the enemy N-V by just moving a smidge forward. Huge difference.

In some respects, it's also not as easily modifiable as we were originally lead to believe it was going to be. Just trying to implement things like limited-quantity munitions required roundabout ways of working at it. While not insurmountable, this did have an effect on decreasing morale early on - everybody just thought things would be a lot more straightforward and capable than they turned out to be.

There's also the problems with modeling - or at least, there were. I don't know if it ever changed, but the normal route required Maya, as the Relic toolsets were all only made for that modeling suite. While not a problem personally - as I have professionally used Maya previously and still have an active but old copy - this was often a bottleneck on teams where most of the talent was used to working in other applications.

Then there are the problems with getting HW2 to run reliably on modern systems. I've found it flaky at best under W7 x64. Even vanilla HW2, without any mods, doesn't want to run most of the time.

I'm not trying to dissuade you or anybody else from working on it; just trying to give some perspective on why some of us don't have much interest in any more efforts on that particular engine.

See also my resurrection of this thread: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=5082

I agree with CDR FOKKER. It's an OLD ENGINE and I can't believe how OLD the Textures and the models look on this game. You have to think. Lestat,CDRFokker, MajorFokker,OLD_Klump and I started working on this a long time ago. My kids weren't even born and I was still in College. So that tells you how old this is. If you're going to a Macross Mod justice. You have to update the engine which you're working with. The OLD models are a good template to start but are overall lacking the quality for today's engine. If you still want to tackle this You have my FULL support, but I think everything should be reevaluated for today's game.

Cdr Fokker

as in cant be done.

Sorry for being so reclusive, job has been taking a lot out of me. That and fell down a rabbit hole with DCS flight sims.

The main issue that was keeping me from releasing the UNS ships is the transformation system. I could never get anything to transform and shoot right.

I have to agree with Cdr Fokker and Chthonic the HW2 engine is pretty lacking in what you can do with it. I had to code new file structure to keep track of what was transformed and turn on and off guns so they shot from the right places. The targeting logic was problematic also.

Edited by shadow3393

shadow

i seen your transformation videos from what i seen it looks fine,

even if its imperfect everything works fine thats where updates comes in and new improvements and new ships and mecha.

and even if its imperfect atleast the fans can enjoy seeing some clasic ships like sdf-1.

shadow i have to give this mod props even if you feel the transformations are not perfect from what i seen of the sdf-1 its great

http://youtu.be/pdfy4I6DJT8

i was thinking about the original robotech series and i rememberd the episode bursting point where a new shield system called the omni barrier was used.

then i was playing with another mod and its shield hits reminded me of the hit effects on the omni barrier so i played around untill i put this together sorry i did not have the sdf-1 to use for it

and i know it would be nice if i added music

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I was digging through my stuff today, as its something I gotta do when I am a digital hoarder. I was looking at old Robotech mods to see if I could use any of those models and get them 3D printed as is (I had to download 13 year old software just to view them!).

Anyway, I came across all my HW1/HW2 mods. I have a *LOT* of them. I probably have every Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, and Robotech type mod out there, in addition to many more. Well over 1GB of stuff, closer to 2 if I count the HW/HWC/HW2 files all compressed (and 8GB for that whole folder) so i don't have to reinstall every time I wanna play again.

If anybody needs *any* of these, its a trivial amount of work for me to make them available.

Well I was digging through my stuff today, as its something I gotta do when I am a digital hoarder. I was looking at old Robotech mods to see if I could use any of those models and get them 3D printed as is (I had to download 13 year old software just to view them!).

Anyway, I came across all my HW1/HW2 mods. I have a *LOT* of them. I probably have every Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, and Robotech type mod out there, in addition to many more. Well over 1GB of stuff, closer to 2 if I count the HW/HWC/HW2 files all compressed (and 8GB for that whole folder) so i don't have to reinstall every time I wanna play again.

If anybody needs *any* of these, its a trivial amount of work for me to make them available.

Thank you, I've been itching lately to fire up HW and plug in some mods.

• 1 year later...