Macross Frontier Compared to Other Series Thread *Read 1st post*

David Hingtgen

So how was it?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Was Frontier the best Macross ever of all animated Macross productions?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Was Frontier the best Macross *TV series*---compared only to SDF:M and M7 (as the rest were movies/OVAs)

• Yes
    • No

We (the mods) figure this topic is inevitable and will take up a large enough part of the "Entire series discussion" thread that it deserves its own topic and poll. Things to keep in mind before voting:

• Please take into account more than just how it ended. (maybe people shouldn't vote until at least a day or two after they watch the last ep to eliminate "heat of the moment" opinion-swaying) ;)
  • The music! Always an integral part of Macross.
  • Every series has things you don't like and moments of greatness, try to recall it all equally. Not every second of Plus was awesome mecha action nor did every moment of 7 involve Basara yelling "Ore no uta wo kike!" though many people tend to remember things that way...
  • Presence or lack of CG doesn't automatically make certain things better or worse.

Poll/thread will open after Frontier Episode 25 airs.

The original SDF Macross has something the other two series don't; we get to see the after effects of the climactic battle. Reconstruction is a large part of what makes the series classic. Its the most "adult" of the three.

Edited by Duke Togo

The original SDF Macross has something the other two series don't; we get to see the after effects of the climactic battle. Reconstruction is a large part of what makes the series classic. Its the most "adult" of the three.

I would also take this a step further and add in resolution to certain plot elements. The love triangle in there is a good example. While there were no more stories of the heroes (except max and millia), the ending was satisfying. Maybe I am just a nostalgic old man, but the writing in Macross felt more tight to me.

I agree...

For me the best Macross TV series has been the original SDF Macross, then Frontier and finally Seven...

However, I must add that I like them all three very much, hehe... ^_^

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I agree...

For me the best Macross TV series has been the original SDF Macross, then Frontier and finally Seven...

However, I must add that I like them all three very much, hehe... ^_^

That's about right. Definetly the best Macross production I've seen in awhile. However, if it had a few more episodes to flesh things out, it probably would have been equal to SDF Macross. As it stands, its still a fantastic sequel and a worthy followup.

I agree 100%, the original Macross was the more mature show out of the three. I believe that Frontier was better than Seven, however it fell way short of the original. Mac 7 was way too long and just "felt" childish, although I believe that's what Kawamori wanted to do. Perhaps, he decided that the original was too "mature" for TV and choose to make a Mac 7 for a younger audience; it must have worked because MAC 7 was popular in Japan. With Macross Frontier, I believe he

raised the maturity level by dealing with themes like;people dealing with illiness and people in comas, just to name two.

However, I still can't take Macross Frontier any more seriously than Macross Seven.

I would rate them like this:

1. Super Dimentional Fortress Macross

2. Macross Frontier

3. Macross Seven

SDF:M remains to be the best in my eyes; best story, characters, everything. Frontier is a shadow of the original, and to me, this is strongly pointed out with Ranka essentially being Minmay's shadow.

I even think M7 has qualities above Frontier, although M7 relied on fan-favorite characters. If M7 was the newest installment and Frontier was the second, I'd still go with M7. Frontier's story and characters make me gag overall. I'm just glad I'm not the obsessed fan I once was.

This series is clearly better than Macross 7 even though that was a good series too. I think Macross Frontier is slightly a notch above SDF: Macross. Skull One didn't die like in the original so that puts it over the top for me.

Edited by Chief Guld Goa Bowman

I loved Frontier but I don't think it's as good as SDFM. SDFM had much more adult themes and I thought handled death and the repercussions of war in a much more adult and mature manner.

In terms of story, I thought SDFM sold the desperation of their situation much more effectively than Frontier. Maybe because the stakes in SDFM seemed so much higher. Even though in episode 25 of Frontier we see that the Vajra could have been a threat to all of humanity that wasn't really made clear in the show and I think some of the sense of threat and impending catastrophe really struggles as a result.

And even though SDFM is overly long and stretched out, some of those episodes were really well used to develop characters and really flesh them out that... and that believability really made their relationships seem real.

I loved Frontier but I don't think it's as good as SDFM. SDFM had much more adult themes and I thought handled death and the repercussions of war in a much more adult and mature manner.

In terms of story, I thought SDFM sold the desperation of their situation much more effectively than Frontier. Maybe because the stakes in SDFM seemed so much higher. Even though in episode 25 of Frontier we see that the Vajra could have been a threat to all of humanity that wasn't really made clear in the show and I think some of the sense of threat and impending catastrophe really struggles as a result.

And even though SDFM is overly long and stretched out, some of those episodes were really well used to develop characters and really flesh them out that... and that believability really made their relationships seem real.

Well...to be fair, the stakes ARE higher in SDFM. We're talking about the extinction of all life on earth, after all. And Global quite rightly acts to make sure that the stakes are never that high again. Macross 7 of course tries to do SDFM one better with the "Spiritia Black Hole" that will absorb the entire galaxy, but let's face it...you can't keep upping the ante continually like that without getting ridiculous after a while, and no matter how big you make the scale of the threat, Ideon will always trump you.

Well...to be fair, the stakes ARE higher in SDFM. We're talking about the extinction of all life on earth, after all. And Global quite rightly acts to make sure that the stakes are never that high again. Macross 7 of course tries to do SDFM one better with the "Spiritia Black Hole" that will absorb the entire galaxy, but let's face it...you can't keep upping the ante continually like that without getting ridiculous after a while, and no matter how big you make the scale of the threat, Ideon will always trump you.

I agree and even Frontier's attempt to up the ante felt more than a little afterthought-ish. It was clearly an attempt to broaden the scope of the series, but was done in the eleventh hour so it lost much of what it was trying to accomplish.

Digressing, I'm still holding SDF Macross over Frontier as well. It simply got more right than Frontier did. But I have to say Frontier got more right than I could have ever hoped in a modern Macross sequel. For all the fan bitching and nitpicking, Frontier was an enjoyable and exciting militaristic Macross adventure. I'd give SDFM a 10, Macross Frontier an 8 and Macross 7 a 2.

I still have to go with the original for "best series," but Frontier is EASILY my second favorite Macross show. This filled the need I've had for most of my life for a sequel that lives up to the original.

If I had to put them in order (highest to lowest):

SDF Macross/DYRL/Flashback 2012

Macross Frontier

Macross Plus

Macross 7

Macross Zero

Macross Dynamite 7

Macross 2

And now my heart breaks as I realize more than half of that list will never see the light of day outside of Japan. But that's a depressing topic for another thread. :(

Macross Frontier was the best animated from all Macross but thats thanks to today's standards

best macross series, of course, original SDFM, it came from out of nowhere, it introduced completely new ideas, it was very mature but yet lighthearted, it had a love story, war story, big bother/father story, great side character with great stories, had a big war, EVERYONE USED THE SAME AIRCRAFT, an epilogue after the war and a CONCLUSION TO THE LOVE TRIANGLE, despite the horrible animefriends animation at that time, the story made you ignore that

Frontier was rushed, it was a good story but could had been told with more patient

hahaha! yes I have.. ok ok, let me rephrase, Frontier is the best Macross TV animated tv series...

the Macross OVA are on a league of their own..

I think one thing that bothered me about Frontier is that Macross 7's animation and art was far more consistent episode to episode than Frontier's. If they were to go back and reanimate all of 7's combat sequences using CG, would I still call Frontier the best animated of the 3 series? I don't know. Also, the original SDF Macross, when not being outsourced, had some brilliant sequences and gorgeous art, all hand drawn.

Long ago I came to grips with the fact that I'm not really any good at rating my favourites amongst a franchise. I see it as one big whole. I really enjoy Frontier, though. There are aspects that I believe it achieved far better than its predecessors, and there are aspects where I felt that it fell well short of them. It's given me some high expectations for future Macross productions, and some high hopes that we'll be seeing more in the not so distant future, given the popularity Frontier seems to be enjoying.

I think one thing that bothered me about Frontier is that Macross 7's animation and art was far more consistent episode to episode than Frontier's. If they were to go back and reanimate all of 7's combat sequences using CG, would I still call Frontier the best animated of the 3 series? I don't know.

Frontier also had good sceneries ^_^

FV

well, I'm not defending Frontier crappy animated episode, cause they looked horrible, specially the episode where they kill Michael, I hated that episode so much cause the animation was just awful

but Macross 7 animation was very dodgy to begin with and they manage to save a lot by recycling to death the poor vf-11c being blown up, of course, you could really appreciate when they animated properly the VF-17S

but like I said before, thanks to today's standards Frontier stands out but it could easy be rated as the one with he worst to best animation on a tv macross series, shame actually