English dubbed HK boots

I was looking through Ebay the other day and noticed a new fad on the Hong Kong boots, they are now featuring English Dubs! Here is an example (Trigun)

Trigun

Has anyone seen these or have any of these new English dubbed boots? I want to know are they rips of the origionals, or did they create new dubbing? Anyone out there have any information about these?

I still wonder why no boot company bothered to make a SDF Macross boot ripped from the Animeigo box set. <_<

Yeah, been wondering that too. I understand that Animeigo versions aren't dubbed but they have a much improved pic quality and close to perfect Subs.

Maybe there's that code thing bootleggers are suppose to follow or maybe HG has more powers than we thought! :p Nah nevuhmand!!!

Typical "HK" bootlegs are a grey area in the states as most of the time they feature their own "special" subtitles and they don't rip off someone else's hard work... but the english dubbed R1 ripped bootlegs are 100%... how do our friends ze germans say it... shtolen.

R1 release houses pay good money to license the show, bring it over, translate it, hire out a voice cast and pay for studio time, remix the audio and repackage the show in a dubbed format. Bootleggers are just ripping the discs and inserting their own logo over or in front of the legitamate ones. Now... you could also say that the boots are basically doing the same things to the original properties already... and they are. But to the american legal system they are not taking that "final step" into illegality: they are not directly copying and redistributing a licensed property. Now they are. Any time you see a boot featuring english dubbing it is most likely a rip of the R1 release... and now it has entered a definate legal state of "bad" in the US. These boots are copies of domestic properties and are subject to all the wrath of our legal system that some of their grey area brothers are not.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

Typical "HK" bootlegs are a grey area in the states as most of the time they feature their own "special" subtitles and they don't rip off someone else's hard work... but the english dubbed R1 ripped bootlegs are 100%... how do our friends ze germans say it... shtolen.

R1 release houses pay good money to license the show, bring it over, translate it, hire out a voice cast and pay for studio time, remix the audio and repackage the show in a dubbed format. Bootleggers are just ripping the discs and inserting their own logo over or in front of the legitamate ones. Now... you could also say that the boots are basically doing the same things to the original properties already... and they are. But to the american legal system they are not taking that "final step" into illegality: they are not directly copying and redistributing a licensed property. Now they are. Any time you see a boot featuring english dubbing it is most likely a rip of the R1 release... and now it has entered a definate legal state of "bad" in the US. These boots are copies of domestic properties and are subject to all the wrath of our legal system that some of their grey area brothers are not.

This discussion... been there... done that... bought the T-shirt.

The fact is that it's all illegal and unethical. The other fact is that it is the property owner (and licensor) who should bear the burden of bringing that long arm of the law down on the HK folks. I only get PO'd when they try to tell the fans that they shouldn't support HK discs. If they want the problem to stop, they need to start prosecuting.

Much like this topic, the "prosecution" aspect also needs to be addressed. It is very hard for american companies to bring foriegn companies to "american" justice... about all they can do is squash the middlemen who are peddling those wares stateside. Bill Gates, George Lucas, Steven Spielburg, Madonna, you name it... they have all tried to hunt down bootleggers in... I don't mean to get geographical on anyone, but... in China who just evaporate when the heat is on. Bootleggers are like drug dealers, they offer something everyone wants at a low low price and when you kill one, ten more pop up to take his place.

IMHO Bootlegs are such a big problem in the media industry due to some of the outlandish prices that are being charged for CDs, Moves and games. I know all the arguments about overhead and fees and such, but the only way to truly defeat bootleggers is to eliminate their one and only selling point: price. Bootleggers are paying for materials, packaging, staff, time and effort (if you can call it that in some instances) just the same as the big businesses they are ripping off. The only outstanding thing the bigger businesses have are the actual production costs of the original material... and unless you are talking a multi million dollar movie production costs are recouped in the first week of sales on most albums and games. I remember a time when top flight, new release CDs where $8 at Camelot Music in the mall... now they are $18.99... and the bootlegs are still selling for $3. I have less of an issue with the video game industry as they're prices have almost stayed the same (they've actually gotten better when you think of inflation)... games have always been $19.99 to $49.99, even back in 1982 when I bought my Atari 2600.

Before I get jumped: I do not support the actions of bootleggers but I sometimes buy their products, but only when a domestic is not available. If one becomes available I buy that one and sell the boot. I myself work in the marketing business and I understand all the ups and downs of several differet industries... but as an insider I can also tell you that in some cases we the people are getting bent over at the checkout and bootleggers saw that and cashed in. Shame on them, shame on us, shame on everyone... but by buying a bootleg you are technically breaking no laws, the legal angle is all on the sellers and bootleggers.

You'll just go to hell for buying that boot of Trigun... but on the up side Satan has an awesome bootleg collection... trust me... I've seen it...

I have the FX boots for Trigun and Kenshin and they sound fine. It's actually the english dub stuff they've been showing on Cartoon Network. When the US Version of Trigun finally came out, I went and bought that too. Vids look a little better (seeing as how the series is not crammed onto 3 DVDs).

Edited by Chowser

You are assuming price is the only factor.

If you buy the legit release and get a bum copy, you can always take it back to the store for an exchange.

If you buy the boot and get a bum copy, there is no recourse. You have to eat the loss yourself.

Let's say you buy a 2nd bootleg copy hoping to get lucky, only to find out that the boot's master was screwed in the first place (not that uncommon - there are HK bootleg releases that have the episodes out-of-order, and even missing chunks or entire episodes, however many don't know because they've never seen the series before), then you've lost 48 bucks and not gotten a good copy at all.

While it is easy to get a "holier than thou" attitude with this topic so easily, I found it's really, really hard to find someone who is "bootleg-free" these days (I know I'm not) - be it DVDs, mp3s, computer software, including unregistered shareware.

On the filp side of this, I've also had the experience at my company of having our work/data stolen, and it's not very fun. In fact, dealing with some of the little thieves by email was a bit of an enlightenment, as they had convinced themselves they had done nothing wrong.

I guess what I wanted to say was, everyone draws their own moral line about how much is ok, but just remember that all of it is still stealing.

I had the boot of Trigun for awhile, i didn't the US realease was out, but after I saw it at Best Buy, I bought it. For me, it's the legitimate US release, and the quality, IMO, is much better. I tried selling the boot, but no one wanted it. Prices aren't that bad in the US. I just picked up the GundamW set for my son, that thing cost $149! But that's for 10 DVDs, so that's not too bad.

Now... you could also say that the boots are basically doing the same things to the original properties already... and they are. But to the american legal system they are not taking that "final step" into illegality: they are not directly copying and redistributing a licensed property. Now they are. Any time you see a boot featuring english dubbing it is most likely a rip of the R1 release... and now it has entered a definate legal state of "bad" in the US. These boots are copies of domestic properties and are subject to all the wrath of our legal system that some of their grey area brothers are not.

I don't think that's true. Japan and USA protect each other's copyrights, so the Japanese company doesn't need to license a show for it to be protected. The difference is the people who can sue you can get to you easier. HK bootleggers aren't sued because they're inaccessable.

I usually pick up the R1 releases if I can afford them and if they're priced around $50 for the whole set. As soon as the set gets over that mark I typically look for a good quality bootleg. It's simple math and I haven't found a bad boot set that wasn't already documented on the review site I-A. Paying $100+ for Escaflowne, Trigun, Gundam Wing, G Gundam, etc. is just too much.