Macross in the weirdest places

yellowlightman

I was watching Andrew Zimmern eat strange things on the Travel Channel, and in this particular episode they played the song Yanyan from Macross Zero's OST 2 in the background. It made me happy, but sort of freaked out. Also, this really has very little (nothing at all) to do with Macross but since it's kind of sci-fi or whatever... I was watching The Milla Jovovich movie The Fourth Kind and it all takes place in a village called Nome, Alaska. That's about it for my Macross related sightings.

You know there's a real Nome, Alaska, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nome,_Alaska

• 3 weeks later...
post-11581-1271227095_thumb.jpg

whats this from?

please say someone has a higher res copy of that. I'd love that for a wallpaper.

:edit:

It says it's an "adult comic."

now I'm even more interested...

Edited by anime52k8

please say someone has a higher res copy of that. I'd love that for a wallpaper.

now I'm even more interested...

my thoughts exactly.

I tried looking for a bigger version,but this was all I could find,I hope someone has better luck then me.

my thoughts exactly.

I tried looking for a bigger version,but this was all I could find,I hope someone has better luck then me.

This is all I could find:

JTITLE: よいこのえほん NO.5

CIRCLE: BONSENS

AUTHOR: 高樹彗

PARODY: Unknown

TYPE: Doujinshi PAGES: 52 18+: Yes

SCORE: - DATE: 0000-00-00 MODIFIED: 2009-08-10

post-11581-1271227095_thumb.jpg

whats this from?

While the idea of Macross and Yamato side by side is an interesting one, I'm somewhat concerned about where the middle gun barrel on that is pointed.

This is all I could find:

why does nobody scan these things :(

While the idea of Macross and Yamato side by side is an interesting one, I'm somewhat concerned about where the middle gun barrel on that is pointed.

dude, it's got Misa and Yuki Mori on the cover, that automatically makes it awesome.

Edited by anime52k8

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Song Energy is real

Girl Bands to Assist in 'Psychological Warfare'

girls+generation.jpg

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/06/11/2010061100432.html

The JCS official said he is unsure how effective the work of girl bands will be. But the revealing outfits worn by the performers and their provocative dances could have a considerable impact on North Korean soldiers.

Girls' Generation - GEE GEE GEE GEE BABY BABY BABY

LISTEN TO MY SONG

Edited by charger69

Song Energy is real

Girl Bands to Assist in 'Psychological Warfare'

2010061100430_0.jpg

http://english.chosu...0061100432.html

Girls' Generation - GEE GEE GEE GEE BABY BABY BABY

LISTEN TO MY SONG

Splendid news item you have found for us. Kawamori should be recruited by the South Korean military to implement this daring project:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I take it we can use "Macross in the weirdest places" in a broad sense here?

Was at my local record store here in Copenhagen, and in the background was a quite decent hip hop song that used a sample from the Godfather Waltz (from the movie with the same name). I dropped the 3 dvd's i had in my hand when I heard the rapper say "start moving on Macross Plus flush" and ran to the shops attendant and almost strangled her demanding to know what in the name of all that was holy was on in the background.

And yes, the name of the song is Macross Plus and its by a rapper called Billy Woods. The lyrics have absolutely no relation to the OVA or movie in my opinion, and I have no idea what he was aiming at with the lyrics. Maybe he just heard the name and though it sounded cool.

Anyway, Macross finds its way to you no matter what you do:D

Oh, and of course I bought the CD!

And yes, the name of the song is Macross Plus and its by a rapper called Billy Woods. The lyrics have absolutely no relation to the OVA or movie in my opinion, and I have no idea what he was aiming at with the lyrics. Maybe he just heard the name and though it sounded cool.

Anyway, Macross finds its way to you no matter what you do:D

Oh, and of course I bought the CD!

I found that same song by accident on Amazon.com's mp3 download section. It might be a reference to another song I found: "Dreamspace (Macross Remix)" by rapper B.C. From the 30 second sample I've heard it has Minmay's "1...2...3...4" from DYRL followed by an obnoxious remix of sound-bytes of Myung's "Voices" in the background.

I ran to the shops attendant and almost strangled her demanding to know what in the name of all that was holy was on in the background.

Sounds like something straight out of Macross Plus...

I found that same song by accident on Amazon.com's mp3 download section. It might be a reference to another song I found: "Dreamspace (Macross Remix)" by rapper B.C. From the 30 second sample I've heard it has Minmay's "1...2...3...4" from DYRL followed by an obnoxious remix of sound-bytes of Myung's "Voices" in the background.

Who would have though that Macross would have made to the hip-hop community?:D

Was at a South Bay 99cent store and among the 5-yr old Kung Fu dvds and 90s b-ball documentary dvds was Macross: Superdimensional Fortress DVD, Vol. 1 by Harmony Gold. I thought, "Hot dang!" but when I looked around didn't see the remainder of the other volumes so I just left it there. I guess 99 cent store is getting ADV left-over stock along with those Inayusha, Reign, and other anime dvds.

Was at a South Bay 99cent store and among the 5-yr old Kung Fu dvds and 90s b-ball documentary dvds was Macross: Superdimensional Fortress DVD, Vol. 1 by Harmony Gold. I thought, "Hot dang!" but when I looked around didn't see the remainder of the other volumes so I just left it there. I guess 99 cent store is getting ADV left-over stock along with those Inayusha, Reign, and other anime dvds.

Whew, I thought I was the only one who saw it.

I was up in the bay area last week, Antioch, CA, to be precise and I saw these trucks for "Indy Custom Fleet Detailing." Unfortunately I did not have my camera but the badging on them was remarkably like that of a red Hikaru VF-1 including the UN Spacy Kite. The trucks I saw where numbers 4 and 5 so they must have more. It was kind of cool to see, just wish I had my camera. So, MWers in the bay-sac area if you need your care detailed call these guys and ask why they went with a Valkyrie style paint scheme with the name Indy.

• 3 weeks later...

This I can't 100% confirm but when I was watching Dexter (it's a show about a seriel killer who hunts other seriel killers to satisfy his urges to kill people) there was this one episode about a comic book being made about the mysterious killer who is going after these other killers (think of it like batman) and in a scene set inside a comic book shop on the wall I could have sworn I had saw what looked like a macross or robotech poster of some sort. It definitely had an "anime fighter pilot in space vs aliens" vibe going on in it almost like a cover to a robotech comic or something like that. Not sure if this one counts though.

It was only for a brief moment but if anyone has the dvds or something, go to the episode about 'the dark avenger' or dark defender or something like that and look for it. Look around about 5th episode of 2nd season.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

This I can't 100% confirm but when I was watching Dexter (it's a show about a seriel killer who hunts other seriel killers to satisfy his urges to kill people) there was this one episode about a comic book being made about the mysterious killer who is going after these other killers (think of it like batman) and in a scene set inside a comic book shop on the wall I could have sworn I had saw what looked like a macross or robotech poster of some sort. It definitely had an "anime fighter pilot in space vs aliens" vibe going on in it almost like a cover to a robotech comic or something like that. Not sure if this one counts though.

It was only for a brief moment but if anyone has the dvds or something, go to the episode about 'the dark avenger' or dark defender or something like that and look for it. Look around about 5th episode of 2nd season.

dexter.jpg

It looks like it may be inspired by Macross, but it is actually a poster for a fictional video game made by a printing company. You can see their other posters on their website.

Ha ha, some Macross cosplay (Macross FRONTIER stunningly) gets reported at an anime fest in Australia in the Australian Media. Trust me, this is r-a-r-e!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gallery-e6frflwi-1225918472329?page=3

485614-skye.jpg

Edited by taksraven

Ha ha, some Macross cosplay (Macross FRONTIER stunningly) gets reported at an anime fest in Australia in the Australian Media. Trust me, this is r-a-r-e!

Macross getting reported in mass-media ANYWHERE is rare. Even Japan!

Macross getting reported in mass-media ANYWHERE is rare. Even Japan!

What sort of anime does get media coverage in Japan, just out of interest? Do any of the older shows get any coverage?

Taksraven

The ones that pop to mind are:

news:

full-scale Gundam statue (built, crowds, rebuilt permanently)

neighbours complaining about garish colouring of house in upscale residential area, as the manga artist painted the exterior of his house to match those of his key character.

variety shows (wide shows):

starting/midpoint/ending a journey at an artist themed railway station/museum/building (none of them pop to mind, but I want to say of the Osamu Tezuka generation) [it should also be noted that the situation is rare, and when it does happen, the majority are dedicated to famous painters, poets, etc. or historical figures.]

Then, of course, there is news about anime/manga and it's fans in general:

NEETs

Freeters

mass murderers who are anime fans/target anime fans/have names similar to anime creators.

Aside from the last one (which is truly a rarity), those news articles were more prevalent pre-Lehman shock. After the Lehman shock, it's been news about it's effects, and that's (currently) morphed into the high Yen/USD exchange rate. Alas, social issues, such as income disparity, the gap between the rich and poor, etc., have been pushed to the side; despite the Lehamn shock having exacerbated the situation. (Ie more people "living" in 24 hour internet cafes).

Edited by sketchley

An episode of Urusei Yatsura? B))

Another one that comes to mind.

Anyone have the Phantom Menace on DVD (yes I'm aware it's a HORRIBLE movie)?

It's on one of the behind the scenes clips where they're touring Lucasarts.

One of the staff is interviewed, and on his wall is a HUGE Lynn Minmay wall scroll.

post-31-128497163504_thumb.jpg