Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

Man, PS3 is getting its ass kicked in sales lately. They really need to do a price-drop because Home definitely isn't going to sell systems, and the fact that 1) it has a built in Blu-Ray player, and 2) you don't have to pay to play online, hasn't seemed to sink in with consumers that this thing is actually a pretty good deal.

Oh well.

Most people don't look at the PS3 that way... I bet most people are like me and think of it as a kick ass blu-ray player with a built in gaming console.

Man, PS3 is getting its ass kicked in sales lately. They really need to do a price-drop because Home definitely isn't going to sell systems, and the fact that 1) it has a built in Blu-Ray player, and 2) you don't have to pay to play online, hasn't seemed to sink in with consumers that this thing is actually a pretty good deal.

Oh well.

All the price drops and free online play in the world won't save it if it doesn't have the games people want to play... and right now those games are on Wii and 360.

All the price drops and free online play in the world won't save it if it doesn't have the games people want to play... and right now those games are on Wii and 360.

I still think the price is playing a big part in it. The 80 and 40GB systems are both the same price. :blink: The PS3 has been getting some good exclusives in this year. MGS4, Little Big Planet, etc. Plus Killzone 2 is on the way. I tried Home but don't really care for it too much.

I still think the price is playing a big part in it. The 80 and 40GB systems are both the same price. :blink: The PS3 has been getting some good exclusives in this year. MGS4, Little Big Planet, etc. Plus Killzone 2 is on the way. I tried Home but don't really care for it too much.

but aside from MGS4, PS3 exclusives don't hold a candle to the 360 and wii exclusives. Fable 2 sold nearly 3x the number of units that LBP sold despite LBP getting WAY more press and commercial time.

Hmmmmn. Gunmetal Grey PS3 MGS4 bundle's available again, for the same price as the current 80GB version. Definitely thinking about it. Any comments anyone? I *really* like the gunmetal vs the black. Only concern--I know the latest (CECHK) 80GB ones are the lightest/quietest/coolest PS3's around. Does anyone know how "advanced" the gunmetal 40GB ones are, noise/heat-wise? I know they're better than launch 60GB, but are they equal to current 80GB?

At least the PS3 doesn't have a problem similar to the RROD. I like having a peace of mind in that I won't have to send in my PS3 for repairs that might or might not fix it. I've heard people getting the RROD with a new 360, sent that one in to get a new one only to get the RROD again. I'd be so damn frustrated if that happened to me. And what is up with the original 60GB systems going for over a $1200?

The only fault with the PS3 is that this happens to be the most @ss backwards video game generation to date, with U.S. publishers putting out the most product. As far as me goes, since I'm not big on FPS, I don't really see much reason in having a 360. The only exclusive games to date I'd want would be Katamari & Ace Combat 6.

Stranger yet still, perhaps because of the nature of the Japanese market, I've been getting a lot more handheld than console games, my PSP & NDS libraries easily dwarf my PS3 library. I mean hell, who wouldn't kill for a PS3 incarnation of Macross Ace Frontier, all it needs is a graphics overhaul & more content. Online multiplayer? Someone run over to Bamco & make them do it!

Edited by Keith

Yay. Since the entry level 360 now costs less then a Wii of course sales are going to go up.

As for 360 dominating sales....don't really care. Wii still owns both "big boys" put together but if we look at the since launch chart(as found at VG chartz the PS3 is doing fine, better then the 360 was at it's point comparitively.

post-93-1228833596_thumb.jpg

Hmmmmn. Gunmetal Grey PS3 MGS4 bundle's available again, for the same price as the current 80GB version. Definitely thinking about it. Any comments anyone? I *really* like the gunmetal vs the black. Only concern--I know the latest (CECHK) 80GB ones are the lightest/quietest/coolest PS3's around. Does anyone know how "advanced" the gunmetal 40GB ones are, noise/heat-wise? I know they're better than launch 60GB, but are they equal to current 80GB?

I own a normal 40GB and its pretty damn quiet I think. I don't know if these differences you mentioned carried over to the 40 from the 80. I'd certainly go for the bundle.

Edited by Shadow

Anyone know if the PS3 is due for a price drop any time soon? I want to buy one but every time I buy a Sony product they either release a new version or do a major price drop or both at the same time within a couple months <_<

(I bought my first PS2, they dropped the price and released the quiet version within a month. I bought the quiet version and they dropped the price and released the thin version within two months. I just can't win!)

Vostok 7

The only fault with the PS3 is that this happens to be the most @ss backwards video game generation to date, with U.S. publishers putting out the most product. As far as me goes, since I'm not big on FPS, I don't really see much reason in having a 360. The only exclusive games to date I'd want would be Katamari & Ace Combat 6.

Stranger yet still, perhaps because of the nature of the Japanese market, I've been getting a lot more handheld than console games, my PSP & NDS libraries easily dwarf my PS3 library. I mean hell, who wouldn't kill for a PS3 incarnation of Macross Ace Frontier, all it needs is a graphics overhaul & more content. Online multiplayer? Someone run over to Bamco & make them do it!

Its funny you say that when all the square RPGs are currently on 360 lol...

Anyone know if the PS3 is due for a price drop any time soon? I want to buy one but every time I buy a Sony product they either release a new version or do a major price drop or both at the same time within a couple months <_<

(I bought my first PS2, they dropped the price and released the quiet version within a month. I bought the quiet version and they dropped the price and released the thin version within two months. I just can't win!)

Vostok 7

Sony's been saying no but I think we'll see a spring time price cut.

Sony's been saying no but I think we'll see a spring time price cut.

But then, there probably won't be any gunmetal ones by then right? :lol:

I'm in no hurry. The only game I really want it for is for GT5 if that ever comes out this decade and as a blu-ray player.

Vostok 7

But then, there probably won't be any gunmetal ones by then right? :lol:

I'm in no hurry. The only game I really want it for is for GT5 if that ever comes out this decade and as a blu-ray player.

Vostok 7

yeah, no more gunmetal units. That one came out a little over a month after I bought mine... I was bummed. but i love my PS3, almost entirely for blu-ray though. I have to say I've logged more hours playing pixel junk's Monsters than MGS4.

yeah, no more gunmetal units. That one came out a little over a month after I bought mine... I was bummed. but i love my PS3, almost entirely for blu-ray though. I have to say I've logged more hours playing pixel junk's Monsters than MGS4.

I was expecting a pre-Christmas price-cut because that's historically when they've dropped prices in the past (and honestly would be a good idea now if they hope to sell any by Christmas) but I got a flier in the mail for $150 off a PS3 system if you sign up for a Sony Visa before January and purchase the system before March, so sounds like there's probably not going to be a real price drop before March.

Vostok 7

I was expecting a pre-Christmas price-cut because that's historically when they've dropped prices in the past (and honestly would be a good idea now if they hope to sell any by Christmas) but I got a flier in the mail for $150 off a PS3 system if you sign up for a Sony Visa before January and purchase the system before March, so sounds like there's probably not going to be a real price drop before March.

Vostok 7

I think Sony was playing a game of chicken with microsoft and MS blinked first. Sony wants to maintain that the PS3 is a high end good and getting into a race to see who hits rock bottom first kinda hurts the brand image they've been working so hard to create.

The probably didn't count on world economy bottoming out though.

I hope the PS3 price drop won't happen for a good while since I just got mine. Lol.

Tru- but Sony really needs the love.

Don't get me wrong, I love my PS3 and think it, and it's games, are way better than 360. But Sony's marketing campaign, delaying Home, and developerstaking too long to release games (Hello... GT5, hopefully by Holiday 2009? WTF?!?) is really killing everyone.

It seems that Sony hopes to make the PS3 a longevity machine like the PS2, but technology is moving way to fast. Nintendo will be on the Hey-eM, and Microsoft will be on the Gates-3-and-one-half-spin, by the time Sony decides that it's time to move on.

developerstaking too long to release games (Hello... GT5, hopefully by Holiday 2009? WTF?!?) is really killing everyone.

However, you do get used to this as a true Sony fan. We'll be lucky to see GT5 by 2009. Just look at how many times GT4 was delayed. And even TT which was just GT4 with motorcycles had a long development period despite them only having to change the vehicle models :lol:

Vostok 7

Tru- but Sony really needs the love.

Don't get me wrong, I love my PS3 and think it, and it's games, are way better than 360. But Sony's marketing campaign, delaying Home, and developerstaking too long to release games (Hello... GT5, hopefully by Holiday 2009? WTF?!?) is really killing everyone.

A company worth millions and millions "needs love?" It's not a charity, man. I've never understood people having such a strong affinity for companies like Sony or Microsoft, since they're boring technology companies with tons of money. Nintendo or Sega I can understand (kind of) since they at least make/made games for their system and so many people grew up with them.

It seems that Sony hopes to make the PS3 a longevity machine like the PS2, but technology is moving way to fast. Nintendo will be on the Hey-eM, and Microsoft will be on the Gates-3-and-one-half-spin, by the time Sony decides that it's time to move on.

Fairly certain Sony has stated they plan on the PS3 being around for 10 years.

Just because sony says the PS3 will have a 10 year life span doesn't mean they won't have a PS4 to compete with the next offerings from MS and Nintendo. It just means that Sony will continue to support it like they're doing with the PS2.

Oh well.

Well I've been hearing people buying them up during these sales. I do like the Wii but I wish it had a hard drive or you could add one. The PS3 has made me see how important those are going to be.

To be honest, I haven't been all too impressed with the PS3. I have two games for it: Metal Gear Solid 4 and Resistance 2. I haven't played a whole lot of MGS4...but what I have played of R2...I haven't been all that impressed. The graphics aren't as good as GoW2 or CoD4 on my 360 (which is connected over component...unlike my PS3 via HDMI). The gameplay is alright...but again nothing like GoW and CoD. My first PSN experience was horrible; it was a pain in the ass to play one level of R2 with a friend. It simply isn't intuitive at all.

A lot of the games on the PS3 are also on the 360...so there's less incentive for me to pick up another title for it. The only other titles I'd even consider picking up for the PS3 would be Final Fantasy XIII and Killzone 2. Even though FFXIII is coming to the 360...a part of me thinks that it may play a little better on the PS3 than on the 360.

All in all, there are only two redeeming things going for the PS3 right now (in my opinion): the backwards compatibility and Blu-ray.

To be honest, I haven't been all too impressed with the PS3. I have two games for it: Metal Gear Solid 4 and Resistance 2. I haven't played a whole lot of MGS4...but what I have played of R2...I haven't been all that impressed. The graphics aren't as good as GoW2 or CoD4 on my 360 (which is connected over component...unlike my PS3 via HDMI). The gameplay is alright...but again nothing like GoW and CoD. My first PSN experience was horrible; it was a pain in the ass to play one level of R2 with a friend. It simply isn't intuitive at all.

A lot of the games on the PS3 are also on the 360...so there's less incentive for me to pick up another title for it. The only other titles I'd even consider picking up for the PS3 would be Final Fantasy XIII and Killzone 2. Even though FFXIII is coming to the 360...a part of me thinks that it may play a little better on the PS3 than on the 360.

All in all, there are only two redeeming things going for the PS3 right now (in my opinion): the backwards compatibility and Blu-ray.

Not really an apple to apple comparison.

Gears of War = Unreal Engine. Tweaked Unreal Engine looks awesome. It's on what, version 3.5 now?

Resistance (haven't played 2 yet) doesn't use UE and it's a new engine I believe. Looks pretty damned good for a new engine.

Gameplays different too. GoW starts you off with fricken Chainsaw guns. IMO it's an updated/more awesome version of UT but grittier and in 3rd person. Resistance starts off with more realistic WWII'ish weapons before you can grab the "Alien" weaponry. It's not as over the top macho destroy Rambo-type game that GoW is, not that either is bad it's just how they want to tell the story. Multiplayer GoW is kinda limited. 5x5 max? R2 is supposedly 60 or 30x30 according to wiki.

COD4 for PS3 looks really nice and from all reviews I've seen the 360 and PS3 versions look exactly the same. Comes down to what controller you like and which system your friends use.

Not really an apple to apple comparison.

Gears of War = Unreal Engine. Tweaked Unreal Engine looks awesome. It's on what, version 3.5 now?

Resistance (haven't played 2 yet) doesn't use UE and it's a new engine I believe. Looks pretty damned good for a new engine.

Gameplays different too. GoW starts you off with fricken Chainsaw guns. IMO it's an updated/more awesome version of UT but grittier and in 3rd person. Resistance starts off with more realistic WWII'ish weapons before you can grab the "Alien" weaponry. It's not as over the top macho destroy Rambo-type game that GoW is, not that either is bad it's just how they want to tell the story. Multiplayer GoW is kinda limited. 5x5 max? R2 is supposedly 60 or 30x30 according to wiki.

COD4 for PS3 looks really nice and from all reviews I've seen the 360 and PS3 versions look exactly the same. Comes down to what controller you like and which system your friends use.

Well, everything I've read has been touting the graphics of R2...and I'm simply not that impressed in comparison to CoD4 and GoW 1 & 2. I have no doubts that the PS3 version of CoD4 looks exactly the same as the 360 version...which is why I used it as an example. As for not comparing apples to apples...even tossing out GoW and going with CoD4 vs R2...or even Halo 3 for that matter...the gameplay in CoD4/Halo 3 is that much better in my opinion. As for the multiplayer...that's great and all that R2 supports up to 60 players, but it sucks when you're trying to group/party up with friends; it simply ISN'T intuitive.

Well, everything I've read has been touting the graphics of R2...and I'm simply not that impressed in comparison to CoD4 and GoW 1 & 2. I have no doubts that the PS3 version of CoD4 looks exactly the same as the 360 version...which is why I used it as an example. As for not comparing apples to apples...even tossing out GoW and going with CoD4 vs R2...or even Halo 3 for that matter...the gameplay in CoD4/Halo 3 is that much better in my opinion. As for the multiplayer...that's great and all that R2 supports up to 60 players, but it sucks when you're trying to group/party up with friends; it simply ISN'T intuitive.

Well can't really argue an opinion can I? ^_^ All I've got is anecdotal evidence when I say I don't have any problems connecting and group playing on PSN(wirelessly) with friends be it LittleBigPlanet, CoD4, Resistance, SF2HD, R6V or Mortal Kombat II. I do know one buddy who did have trouble going online with GoW2. He bought it the night of, activated a Gold membership, and it refused him access to GoW servers. Ended up playing Soul Calibur online instead and it was only a few days later that he was able to access GoW2 online.

I wonder how much of the "graphics" issues people are having with R2 to GoW are acutally game design issues. I don't pretend to understand the nuances of game shaders but I really dig the architectural design to R2. I think the difference in color schemes are something to consider too.

Well can't really argue an opinion can I? ^_^ All I've got is anecdotal evidence when I say I don't have any problems connecting and group playing on PSN(wirelessly) with friends be it LittleBigPlanet, CoD4, Resistance, SF2HD, R6V or Mortal Kombat II. I do know one buddy who did have trouble going online with GoW2. He bought it the night of, activated a Gold membership, and it refused him access to GoW servers. Ended up playing Soul Calibur online instead and it was only a few days later that he was able to access GoW2 online.

Well, my friend invited me to play R2 with him. I got the little pop up at the top right...the message I guess...saying I got an invite. This being my first experience online with the PS3, I figured it might be something like the 360 with the XBox Guide button. So I pressed it and I got the PS3 menu...didn't see any option to accept. So I scrolled over to the message box, found the message and all it said is that I have a friend who wants to play. It didn't give me the option to accept or anything. So exit out of that, I'm back in the game. I scrolled right using the RB1/RB2 button, found his name, hit x or whatever button it is, selected "join game" and was told that I didn't have permission to. So I tried hosting a game and invited him; he had the exact same problem. The only way we could play together was for him to host and for me to do a search for his name and vice versa. It's freakin' ridiculous. I just wish it were a little more straight forward like it is with the 360. I shouldn't have to research online how to accept invites to games. Anyway...I digress. [/frustrated rant]

PS3 has always been a more polished, more capable machine. The no-games argument worked (kind-of) last year, but that's long since over. As far as Home, it's typical of Sony's modus operandi. They would rather take their time and get it right, despite the delay. This is a direct contrast to Microsoft, who releases when they know their hardware is a flawed design (see any of the RROD discussions), just so they can cash in on the market share.

As far as the online bit, I've always been a PC gamer but the PS3 has largely taken that over. One of these days, I'll get back to it, but if it's not free I'm not going to do it. It's the principle of the matter! Still loving SOCOM these days for the realism angle. But Warhawk when I'm not feeling realism.

It's usually flight sims and strategy/tactics games like the Total War that get me going on PC. We'll see if/when Battlefield 3 hits.

A company worth millions and millions "needs love?" It's not a charity, man.

Yeah, they kind of do. I never said it was charity, and its fairly obvious what my statement meant- Sony needs to start selling getting PS3s into homes and playing games a lot better than they've been doing. Their marketing strategy has not been very affective and they're sales have not been improving like the Wii and 360 have.

Also, there have been plenty of companies in all fields who had millions and millions and still plummeted. Look at the financial or auto industries lately?

PS3 has always been a more polished, more capable machine. The no-games argument worked (kind-of) last year, but that's long since over. As far as Home, it's typical of Sony's modus operandi. They would rather take their time and get it right, despite the delay. This is a direct contrast to Microsoft, who releases when they know their hardware is a flawed design (see any of the RROD discussions), just so they can cash in on the market share.

As far as the online bit, I've always been a PC gamer but the PS3 has largely taken that over. One of these days, I'll get back to it, but if it's not free I'm not going to do it. It's the principle of the matter! Still loving SOCOM these days for the realism angle. But Warhawk when I'm not feeling realism.

It's usually flight sims and strategy/tactics games like the Total War that get me going on PC. We'll see if/when Battlefield 3 hits.

As for the whole no-games argument. It's not so much that there isn't any games...it's just that a lot of them, if not all of them, can be found on the 360. A lot of those that can be found on both systems seem to run better on the 360. Of all the friends I have here in Reno...only two others have a PS3; the rest all have a 360. There's just more incentive for me to pick up the 360 version of game, over the PS3 version, if I want to play online. Plus, it doesn't help that the PS3 has lost a lot of exclusive titles.

Don't get me wrong guys...as a PSX/PS2/Blu-ray player I love it. As for the free online play...it'd be nicer if it were easier to play with friends. When it comes to the PS3 games though (excluding FFXIII and Killzone 2)...I think I'll pass. A lot of the people I know here in town feel the same way. But again, I digress.

Its funny you say that when all the square RPGs are currently on 360 lol...

Not all of them, Vs XIII which is being done by the Kingdom Hearts team is still an exclusive, as likely KH3 will be.