Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

I've been playing it a little here & there, but so far it's awesome (Uncharted 2). A very Indiana Jones worthy train scene is my favorite part so far.

The best is yet to come! What chapter have you got to?

Okay, nobody crucify me for being a Playstation n00b or anything, but I have a question.

My apartment just got renovated a few weeks ago, and one of the new perks that came with the raised rent, the new furniture and everything was a wall-mounted 50" plasma screen TV. I was wondering, could anyone tell me how good the Blu-Ray playback on the Playstation 3 is? My sister's been itching to buy one for like the last three months and I wanted to know if it was worth getting for the Blu-Ray playback feature too now that I have a HDTV.

The PS3 is one of the better Blu-Ray players out there. And it is said to be one of the best at upscaling DVDs.

An important point to me is that the PS3 is the fastest-loading player. Some players (especially early ones) could literally take a minute or two to "get going" once you hit play...

However, the PS3 is no longer the definite "best bang for the buck" that it used to be soley as a Blu-Ray player, as standalone players have had their prices plummet recently, while the PS3's price has only gone down a bit.

Blu-ray is really nice, and the PS3 is pretty damn good. If you play games, even a little it's worth the extra 100 bucks over a standard blu-ray player for sure. Upscaling is really nice on it too, probably the best I've seen personally.

Bah, I am sick of the no dedicated servers for MW2. Just wondering if anyone has used the Splitfish Fra Wireless Pro Controller? I'm still not used to the controller, the PS3 is my first console ever.

quick question, anybody know if I can transfer all my saved files and data from my old 160 gig PS3 to the new 250 gig PS3 slim?

The new firmware (3.15) should let you transfer all your stuff via a network cable between the two PS3. However I know some saved may not work as they are tied to specfic machines. I think one of them is Soul Calibur 4. (I wonder if it's related to games that have DLCs).

I seem to recall them saying that they expected something like a 8-10 year life cycle from the PS3 when it was launched. Plus it helped put a blu-ray player in almost 30 million homes, and ensure a market for their format. That will probably pay off for them in the long run, too.

Edited by -Snowblind-

Can somebody help me out? My controller won't charge. I bought a brand new on from Target and it wouldn't charge. The weird thing is, now my old controller won't charge either. The old controller was working fine before I got the new one. Weird, huh?

Can somebody help me out? My controller won't charge. I bought a brand new on from Target and it wouldn't charge. The weird thing is, now my old controller won't charge either. The old controller was working fine before I got the new one. Weird, huh?

I think the controllers run on lithium batteries. Maybe they need to be replaced.

Faulty USB cable maybe? And you do know you have to have the system on to charge.

I have a question. If I upgrade my PS3's hard drive. Will I still be able to log into my PS3 account, and keep all my games and videos, i bought from the PSN store? I'm tempted to upgrade my PS3 to a 500gb HD or a 1TB HD.

I think as long as you remember your username and password, you should be able to get your account info into the new hard drive.

i think maybe there is an option in the menus that let you copy all your data over.

wait, here is an article, you should have no problems

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6176090/index.html

now, my question is, since i never play PS1 or PS2 games on my PS3, should I get rid of my Metal Gear Solid edition PS3 (has 80gb HD and backwards compatibility for PS2 games) and just get a newer slim PS3?

now, my question is, since i never play PS1 or PS2 games on my PS3, should I get rid of my Metal Gear Solid edition PS3 (has 80gb HD and backwards compatibility for PS2 games) and just get a newer slim PS3?

Personally, I say keep it. You may feel like kicking yourself afterwards if you get that itch to play your old games on the HDTV. But if you don't care about playing on the bigger screen and your old PS2 is still working, I can't really stop you.

I think BC-capable models still fetch a decent price nowadays... should at least cover for the price of the slim.

Hopefully they'll bring back backwards-compatibility somehow.

System's on, cable's good. I dunno what the problem is...

Plug it in other ports? Think you can still return it and get a replacement?

Edited by shiroikaze

I think as long as you remember your username and password, you should be able to get your account info into the new hard drive.

i think maybe there is an option in the menus that let you copy all your data over.

wait, here is an article, you should have no problems

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6176090/index.html

No. What advantage is there to the slim? It looks cheaper and has a bigger HDD. Whoop-de-do.

The new firmware (3.15) should let you transfer all your stuff via a network cable between the two PS3. However I know some saved may not work as they are tied to specfic machines. I think one of them is Soul Calibur 4. (I wonder if it's related to games that have DLCs).

or external usb drives

My desk is getting cluttered. Anyone know a good website for aftermarket chargers for the controllers for PS3? I'm looking at the Power Pyramid from Konnet now. I had the Venom Pyramid charger, but it only did two controllers. I have four.

For those who were planning to import, Final Fantasy XIII is now out in Japan on the PS3.

...those of us who want the US or European versions, however, must wait until early March. You can thank the 360 version for that.

I already have my order in for FF XIII. Hopefully, my copy will ship out tomorrow and I'll have it by Friday.

I wonder if Squeenix will do an international edition...

I hope the US release gets language options...

And give the PS3 version an edge over the xbox one? That'd be insane! :)

Edited by Keith

For those who were planning to import, Final Fantasy XIII is now out in Japan on the PS3.

...those of us who want the US or European versions, however, must wait until early March. You can thank the 360 version for that.

I will always buy FF games on a PS system. It only seems right. The way I see it, they should've just kept it exclusive to PS. So now we gotta wait because of the 360? That sucks. <_<