Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

I'm "eugimon" on both Live and PSN

Awesome. I probably won't be on Xbox Live until maybe Sunday when my buddy's coming over to play Castle Crashers, but I'll definitely be playing WipEout later, so I'll send you a PSN invite today.

Awesome. I probably won't be on Xbox Live until maybe Sunday when my buddy's coming over to play Castle Crashers, but I'll definitely be playing WipEout later, so I'll send you a PSN invite today.

my parents are visting for the weekend, so probably won't be on until sunday or so, see ya then B))

hey guys, just recently got a PS3... decided to get the new 80GB that was selling for 400 while I was on a trip to Miami, I really don't care about backwards PS2 compatibility, I mainly got for GT5

thing is, when I registered to the PSN, my country wasn't in their list and had to put USA, but now I'm getting an missmatch in time/date thingy when I load GT5... any ideas about this?!

hey guys, just recently got a PS3... decided to get the new 80GB that was selling for 400 while I was on a trip to Miami, I really don't care about backwards PS2 compatibility, I mainly got for GT5

thing is, when I registered to the PSN, my country wasn't in their list and had to put USA, but now I'm getting an missmatch in time/date thingy when I load GT5... any ideas about this?!

Maybe a new update firmware is available to download, that includes your country in the list or maybe its not listed because your country is in a different regoin and you have to get a PS3 in your regoin instead. :(

I download the latest update for the PS3... and it was not until I download the latest update for GT5 that I started getting this error, still, not a big issue, It's probably the region for my PS3, but no way I was going to buy a PS3 over here, they sell the 40GB for 900 dollars, no way...

I'm sure in the future Sony will fix this

In regards to WipEout HD, a lot of you were lucky. I started the downlooad of the game at 6pm on Thursday, it didn't finish until around 7am the following day. This makes me think that the European PSN server is a bit rubbish, well, either that or my dad has killed the bandwith >_<

I'm presuming your post is a joke because....

1. I don't recall myself mentioning anything praising the 160GB drive.

2. I don't recall myself mentioning anything praising the 160GB drive.

3. I don't recall myself mentioning anything praising the 160GB drive.

4. Yes, it would be expensive, even for SONY. But as mentioned, it's a simple swap....

Why don't they put 1TB drives in every DVR, Tivo, laptop, and home PC, Mac,, and PS3 and 360 for that matter..why stop there? :lol:

I still don't get the joke, pun, or anything because there isn't a reference to the PS3's HDD....is this some Australian humor that I've missed?

Never presume because you make a PRES outta U and ME. :lol:

(That was a joke, by the way)

Seriously thought, I was having more of a dig at Sony than you. Its just the fact that the 160GB drive was mentioned in the topic heading and I thought that would be a good place to start with general abuse of Sony.

This is Australian humour

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=p9izVu_TtAE&...feature=related

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

I guess no one got the joke because the HDD on the PS3 is universally praised, even by 360fanboys... :p

Well, no praise from me then. I like to use REAL computers (My computer timeline - C64>Amiga500>Amiga2000>486>Pentium>etc) and I consider games consoles to be just toys by comparison. (There, I said it)

In the world of REAL computers a 160GB HDD does not cut the mustard. Sorry, its a fact. I think that if Sony EVER wants these consoles to be taken seriously by some people they have to make machines with real grunt. And with their mass production they could afford to make cheaper machines with more power.

Taksraven

well, that's the point right? They're not meant to compete with computers. Consoles have their own pluses and computers have theirs.

So we just agree to disagree on this one.

Taksraven

post-278-1222581935.jpgPSN newbies, don't forget, if you pick up MGS4, come play Metal Gear online with us, SMS is open to all Macrossworlders, and I'd love to stick it to some of those uppity clans en mass :) Edited by Keith

Does anyone else find Megaman 9 to be unusually cruel? Having played 1-7 (i'll get around to 8 one of these years) and X (I'll play the rest of those too, have the PS2 collections for ease), I poke around a couple of 9's stages, and damn, super mean.

Well, no praise from me then. I like to use REAL computers (My computer timeline - C64>Amiga500>Amiga2000>486>Pentium>etc) and I consider games consoles to be just toys by comparison. (There, I said it)

In the world of REAL computers a 160GB HDD does not cut the mustard. Sorry, its a fact. I think that if Sony EVER wants these consoles to be taken seriously by some people they have to make machines with real grunt. And with their mass production they could afford to make cheaper machines with more power.

Taksraven

I'm afraid I don't understand you argument regarding the HDD. What does the size od the HDD have to do with anything. A top of the line computer with a 160GB HDD will still run the same as a top of the line computer with a 500GB HDD, it just doesn't have as much storage capacity.

Geez, you cite such a storied computer timeline, and still make a noob error thinking that HDD capacity somehow is super-important? Sony doesn't need a big HDD on the PS3 because they want you to keep inserting a disk into the system to play. If, for some reason, Sony decided to run all of the games directly from the HDD then, yes, 160GB would be problem. But until that time, your point is kind of moot.

Does anyone else find Megaman 9 to be unusually cruel? Having played 1-7 (i'll get around to 8 one of these years) and X (I'll play the rest of those too, have the PS2 collections for ease), I poke around a couple of 9's stages, and damn, super mean.

We were discussing this over in the videogame thread after the Wii came out, but the gist of it is yes. While Megaman has always had pits and spikes, Inti Creates seems to have designed their levels entirely around pits and spikes, adding enemies as almost an afterthought. But in that sense, it really is about learning patterns. I got MM9 for the Wii, since I couldn't wait for it, and it took me until late Wednesday night to beat all the Robot Masters (and I was playing it A LOT). Thursday roles around, I grabbed it and WipEout on the PSN (since the DS3 is a better controller for Megaman than either the Wiimote held sideways or the Wii Classic Controller), and in about 45 minutes, I had finished off the Robot Masters again. Still have to do the Wily levels, though I've been putting it off.

Anyway, Plug Man has the Rush Jet. That's all I'm saying.

Whatever you do, hit the MUTE button when playing 8. Gosh who let HG do the dub for that?!

Got to see the demo of 9, and those challenges seem slick. Good thing I don't care too much about them anymore. I guess that they geared them to the Japanese-kids-with-too-much-skill/time-on-their-hands.

Edited by Wes

Is anyone else here having trouble with WipEout HD? Although I somehow managed to totally miss Pulse, I don't recall having this much trouble with Pure. I'm on Vertigo, with one more point needed to unlock Headrush (and team Icarus). I've got a few golds and silvers, three bronzes, and one that I can't even get a medal. I don't really know what to adjust to get even one more point. The bronze medals are either time trials or speed laps where the best times I'm posting are a full second off of silver. On one of the silvers, a time trial at Ubermall, I've done all perfect laps, hit all the speed panels, and posted a time .2 off the gold medal mark. And the one I can't even medal in is the Rapier race at Sebenco Climb... best I've managed was 7th, and that was after a contender was eliminated. I started using Piranha, then switched to Harimau when I decided I needed better handling, then switched again to Assegai when I realized that Assegai has less shields, and the same speed and handling as Harimau, but more thrust.

Is anyone else here having trouble with WipEout HD? Although I somehow managed to totally miss Pulse, I don't recall having this much trouble with Pure. I'm on Vertigo, with one more point needed to unlock Headrush (and team Icarus). I've got a few golds and silvers, three bronzes, and one that I can't even get a medal. I don't really know what to adjust to get even one more point. The bronze medals are either time trials or speed laps where the best times I'm posting are a full second off of silver. On one of the silvers, a time trial at Ubermall, I've done all perfect laps, hit all the speed panels, and posted a time .2 off the gold medal mark. And the one I can't even medal in is the Rapier race at Sebenco Climb... best I've managed was 7th, and that was after a contender was eliminated. I started using Piranha, then switched to Harimau when I decided I needed better handling, then switched again to Assegai when I realized that Assegai has less shields, and the same speed and handling as Harimau, but more thrust.

...Was that English? :)

yeah, wipeout HD is kicking my ass. I'm still racing with the AI on novice. <_<

post-278-1222581935.jpgPSN newbies, don't forget, if you pick up MGS4, come play Metal Gear online with us, SMS is open to all Macrossworlders, and I'd love to stick it to some of those uppity clans en mass :)

When do you guys normally play? I haven't tried playing MGS4 yet. I've been too busy playing FFXII and God of War.

A new low for DLC. Namco is selling 2 weapons packs for Soul Calibur IV...turns out they are the same weapons you could acquire while playing the game..they aren't that hard to unlock...at least they warn you before you purchase..

Not sure what the price is yet since it hasn't been released on the US PSN store. They are up on the JP store though. For 400 yen for each pack.

Edited by dejr8bud

Why are some of the time trial tracks in Wipeout HD friggen hard!!??

:angry:

WipeOut has been known to be somewhat of an ass kicker for a long long time. Both in time trial and the standard race circtuits vs some brutally nasty computer controlled racers. The difficulty in games as recent as Pure got very brutal very quick, and Pulse was no picnic either. I have yet to get HD though I've been looking forward to it for some time.

I also was looking to pick up the Ratchet and Clank expansion, but I have sorta blanked on it until now.

Why are some of the time trial tracks in Wipeout HD friggen hard!!??

:angry:

The Wipeout series has always had a bit of a steep learning curve in my opinion. Which time trials are you having trouble with? I've just unlocked Headrush, took a couple of attempts on the speed laps/time trials in Vertigo to get better than a bronze and it's just gonna get harder... :ph34r:

the one I can't even medal in is the Rapier race at Sebenco Climb... best I've managed was 7th, and that was after a contender was eliminated. I started using Piranha, then switched to Harimau when I decided I needed better handling, then switched again to Assegai when I realized that Assegai has less shields, and the same speed and handling as Harimau, but more thrust.

Have you tried using EG-X? As long as you don't let go of the thrust and time use of the airbrakes on corners correctly, a gold can be acheived with relative ease :)

By the way, if anyone feels like having a race, my username is Bappers ;)

Edit: If you're using a custom soundtrack, try racing on Sol 2 with Seikan Hikou playing B))

Edited by Valkyrie Nut

Yeah, wipeout HD is ridiculously hard. Didn't have nearly so much trouble with the PSP games. Even the novice AI is wiping the floor with me.

I've been having a hard time too with the novice AI, Studio Liverpool have definately upped the difficulty with this game :wacko: However I must admit I'm enjoying the challenge and am getting better with each try. Also, I've finally found a game where I'm capable of winning online!

I guess I should note I'm a BIG WipEout fan so I play the games often, including the original ps titles ^^;

Edited by Valkyrie Nut

Edit: If you're using a custom soundtrack, try racing on Sol 2 with Seikan Hikou playing B))

I am using a custom soundtrack... I ripped the music from all the previous WipEout games (okay, I downloaded Pure and Pulse's soundtracks), then added a little of my own techno (mostly Elite Force and Sasha, with sprinklings of Tiesto and Orbital).

Anime music in WipEout? Anything but techno in WipEout makes me a sad panda.